Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#136798 - 05/02/08 03:03 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: *Erica*]
Britney Offline
Master

Loc: Tumblr
Ad-supported. I love playing for as long as I want!

#136799 - 05/02/08 03:05 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: Carla]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
I chose try before you buy, because that's the way that appeals most to me. If you'd let me choose 2, my 2nd choice would have been virtual currency. This model also appeals greatly to me and many others who fret over internet fraud. I have been burnt twice by internet fraud, and now will make purchases ONLY using a PREPAID Visa AND ONLY from sites that use VeriSign.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#136876 - 05/02/08 05:44 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: Rockmower]
Complexity Offline
Expert

I like try before you buy because I truly get a chance to see what the game is like and whether I like it enough to buy it or not.

But try before you buy is also a good idea for you guys because one of the interesting aspects of this game is that you bond with the characters. You want to know what the baby will look like. You want to know if that villager can make it to EE. You have all these things you want to see... and then your time is up. It's about the same as watching a movie, getting really into it, and then having the movie stop abruptly. You are left with this feeling of incompletion. You don't know how the "story" turns out.

The hour of play time without restrictions gives the person not only time to see whether they like the game or not, but if they do like it, it will be enough time to bond with the game and "need" to buy it to find out what happens to each villager, puzzle, new thing found/built/etc.

I absolutely, positively, unequivocally would NOT play any game, or for that matter run ANY software whatsoever, that includes advertisements. I abhor them. I have a personal website in which I pay extra for a high quality webhost specifically because I can run my website with zero, none, zilch, not a trace, advertisements.

There is no game, no piece of software, no new gizmo, no new fandangle anything that I am completely unable to live without. If having anything requires that I must sit through a constant stream of ads (like TV commercials), then I can do without it. I have to tolerate some gentle ads (such as the identifier at the beginning of the game), but that's about it. I don't listen to radio because of the interruptions. I rarely watch TV (I record and skip commercials).

Obviously, I have very strong feelings against ads. I am advertised up my wazoo in the mail, on the phone, in email, in stores wanting you to get a "membership card" for discounts (which is merely a way to track your purchasing habits for their statistical purposes), and just driving down the street. It's trash. It ruins the landscape (including the landscape of game enjoyment), it's unsightly, it's begging, it's low class, it is NOT for me. And to be honest, I have never heard of such a thing until now (with software).

I didn't mean to rant so strongly about the ads. \:o

One option that I would suggest adding is PayPal. Many stores are now including a PayPal option which is very quick and easy. Cash (well hidden)/checks/money orders can be sent in by mail for the kids.

#136884 - 05/02/08 06:05 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: Complexity]
MusicObsessed Offline
Consigliere

Loc: minnesota. :D
i like the try-before-you-buy way best. \:\) that way you get to fully experience the game (for 60 minutes, at least!) without ads or limitations (besides the time limit). \:D

#136885 - 05/02/08 06:06 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: Complexity]
Krystal Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: The 'Merica
I had to go with the try before you buy option too... I did that with VV2 and with a few other games... that way I know if I like the game before I pay up. I don't have to worry about feeling like I wasted my money that way. \:\)

#136888 - 05/02/08 06:13 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: Complexity]
YaelleG Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Baltimore
Hey complexity. I like the way you stated your opinion so...strongly. Its funny because after I read it I noticed your username. But really, even though I use DVR to record TV, I dont feel as strongly about ad bombardment as you do and I was blown away a little bit by your posting. (not in a bad way though!)

#136898 - 05/02/08 07:39 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: Gamemastr1]
HappyPlayer Offline
Guru

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Gamemastr1
Try before you buy is good. I wish it were more than an hour. Sometimes an hour is not long enough especially when you have tutorials and stuff. I have come across games where the first 2 levels are tutorials and once you get past that, your time is pretty much up and you don't have any time left to really see what the games is all about. Really, would 1 more hour really kill the gaming industry?

I Love Love Love Try-Before-You-Buy model games! In fact, I could probably write a book on "How to mess up your laptop in 100 demo downloads or less!" Translation: I love demos!

There is just no feeling like the simplicity of downloading your own little hour of check-out-all-the-features, and playing that hour at your own leisure. With all my laptop connection problems, I prefer it that way.

However(!), I have to agree with the tutorial problem. Personally, I think the minutes of the tutorial should be counted separately(!). Although I haven't had any problems with the learning curve with LDW games taking long, I have encountered plenty of tutorials that have taken up half my demo time or more! In my opinion, you are not really playing the game when you are doing the tutorial, you are just learning how.

I would also like more options for my trial games when different levels require different tutorials. This dramatically affects the time frame. Since the less time played means the less time the company has to pull in a potential gamer, I don't see the benefit here. If it takes a long time to learn how to play, then the gamer should be given more time for the demo. \:\)

#136924 - 05/02/08 11:24 AM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: HappyPlayer]
halidog Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: One of the thirteen colonies
Try then Buy!

#136933 - 05/02/08 12:35 PM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: halidog]
ColeDude101 Offline
Expert

Loc: The 1st state!Delaware!
I like try before ya buy.I get games from BigFishGames.com.

Im playing VV3 again,and I'm going to be more active on here now!

#137116 - 05/02/08 07:25 PM Re: How would you prefer to buy games? [Re: YaelleG]
Complexity Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: YaelleG
Hey complexity. I like the way you stated your opinion so...strongly.

LOL! After typing it out, I did a quick proof-reading and realized just how strongly my opinion came through. But then I decided to not edit it since that really is how I feel on the subject. I just hadn't started out intending to write it so... strongly. \:o \:D

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter