Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 8 of 15 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#33175 - 09/24/06 01:18 AM Re: Please improve the leaderboard page on the website
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
The "Refresh" button in the game sends your stats to the server, where they are compared to other players' stats. The results are displayed in your game and posted to the leader board, if they're high enough.

#33176 - 09/24/06 01:25 AM Re: Please improve the leaderboard page on the website
phaylen Offline

WOW! Thank you for that speedy answer. You've definitely made a fan out of me

#33177 - 09/24/06 04:40 AM Re: sending and receiving statistics
sfrose Offline
Senior Uber-Member

Quote:

How would everyone feel about having the scores "disappear" from the leader board after a certain period of time? There are a number of ways to do that, but the goal would be to make the leader board contain entries from people who are actively playing the game, rather than those who are just letting it run forever and making more and more babies.

I also think this is a good idea.

Someone mentioned having the leader board count mushrooms, since that would prove someone is actively playing. Howeverm, it is very easy to turn one mushroom into 10. So it wouldn't be a good test.

OTOH, ordered by the number of events might be better. As far as I could tell, an event is scheduled for a random later time. When that game is opened and the time passed, the event is displayed and a new event is scheduled. So if someone stays away from the game for several days (even if on pause or slow time) only one event will occur when they return.

This would mean that people have to open each game on a regular basis in order to get the higher "event" numbers.

Though there is probably a way that a cheater can increase these numbers as well.

Though maybe the solution should just be that the leader board is cleared each month.

Isola is a magic island! All sorts of strange things can happen, and often do happen. -- arnie

#33178 - 10/01/06 09:09 PM Re: sending and receiving statistics
MCroft Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Austin, TX
As someone suggested, I'd like to see an "all time" and "this month" leaderboard. I've seen this on a lot of boards (although usually (it's 'today' and 'all time').

I'd also like to see the sort order be selectable by clicking on columns.

Also, there's some issue with the refresh. I have 1022 babies made, and it tells me I'm 43rd when I refresh, but that's not the 43rd entry on the list, or even enough to hit the top 50.

#33179 - 10/02/06 02:01 PM Re: sending and receiving statistics
Danielle2343 Offline

Loc: The Cave
I would love to have control over what stats I can see Like if there were headers that you can click onto see the *oldest villager* or *points* ,*Puzzles solved*, *twins*, *triplets and so on. That would be great feature and I think it would be well used and apprieciated!!!! Anyone agree??? ~~ Danielle

#33180 - 10/18/06 03:39 AM Re: sending and receiving statistics
froggymorning Offline

How do you send and receive statistics? I can't find it on the menu, it isn't in the help or in the read me file.

#33181 - 10/18/06 08:59 AM Re: sending and receiving statistics
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Go to the Puzzles screen and click on the Statistics button. You'll see your game's statistics, and clicking on Refresh will send your stats to the server and display your stats ranking.

#33182 - 10/18/06 02:47 PM Re: Please improve the leaderboard page on the website
irishmaura Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Ireland
I just don't get the stats/leaderboard!!!

My stats on one of my games are as follows:

Real Hrs. Played 1329
Babies Made 1227
Food 27216858
Cures 3909 (no GC in this village)
Mushrooms 50
Max.Pop 91
Eldest 98
Events 61
Twins 59
Triplets 12

When I click the refresh button it tells me my rank is 49 for babies made, 31 for food, 45 for cures,49 for events, 50 for twins, all the other are over 50 except puzzles solved.

I've looked at the leaderboard, and surprise suprise, I'm not listed at 49 (I didn't expect to be, but that's beside the point).

Why does my "stats" tell me I'm ranked 49, but the leaderboard doesn't!

Why is there only one person listed per ranking place, with all the people playing this game, surely there are at least several people with the same abount of babies made at any given time?

Which brings me to another question, as I look at the leaderboard now, position no. 49 gives babies made at 1847,
hours at 2148,food 4 million, pop 92, events 91.

So why does my stats board tell me I am at 49 when I obviously have far fewer babies made, less hours played but with way more food?

I usually post my thoughts and experience of this game in the Real Arcade forum. But I've said quite a few times in that forum that the stats board is a mess and by this I mean it is misleading and nonsensical.

There are some things that seem "upside down" to me, and by that I mean, for example, Max pop at 91 (still using the stats of this one of my villages) and is ranked at 999,surely, if you legally managed to get over 91/92 in your village without cheating, your ranking should be shown at 1 or 2, as when puzzles are solved. Food gathered is off kilter as the GC magically restores crops. Although in this particular village of mine, the GC died, and my food gathered is over 27 million (what can I say except they are super little farmers, so proud, haha!)

I don't mean to sound super critical, it's just that as the VV isn't a "scoring" game as in arcade style games, what exactly is the stats/leaderboard supposed to reflect? As correctly pointed out in this thread, leaving the game on isn't really playing it, but will increase real hours "played", food gathered/cures is really down to the GC, so what is the most important things to people in the game and how should they be measured? Is it longevity, mushrooms, multiple births??

The leaderboard should probably have separate tables/rankings for each item, I don't see any other way to make it clear and relevant to the participants.

I love this game, first time I've played a real time game, and am absolutely looking forward to VV2 as everyone else is, so I hope that the stats/leaderboard will become more relevant and part of the game, and not just something to moan about, and goodness, with the length of this post, I've become a right moaning minnie, haha!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and

Best of Irish,
Maura

P.S. I really hope I get to test the new VV2 game, haha!

#33183 - 10/18/06 05:34 PM Re: Please improve the leaderboard page on the web
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
You need to view the leader board as "all time high" leader board. I believe the stat screen on the program only ranks you against other running games at the time. I'm not sure what the cut off time is (1 week??), but if you have a game and have not refreshed the stats in over a week, they will not be included in the game stat screen when others click on the refresh button. Does that make sense?

#33184 - 10/20/06 04:15 PM Re: Please improve the leaderboard page on the web
irishmaura Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Ireland
When I posted the details of the stats page of my game, it had just been "refreshed". I was one of those when I first got the game, that the stats always froze the computer when I clicked the refresh button so I stopped updating for quite some time.

In the last two weeks or so, I tried again and it worked very well, so I update regularly, at least once a day, so that's not the problem, but appreciate the input.

That village I've used as an example currently ranks me at 46 for babies made, still way short of what's on the leaderboard totals shown. I can only assume that the link is between hours played and babies made. My rank of hours played is over 100 so a long way to go.

One question though, are the names listed the names of players individual villages or are they user names??

Best of Irish,
Maura

Page 8 of 15 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter