============
Goddess POV
============

Once upon a time...
There was a beautiful island where lost villagers made their home. They explored their small part of the island and new every corner. Only a mysterious cave had not been carefully explored. Once day, two intrepid villagers ventured into the dark recesses and discovered an opening behind thick vines! Curious, they pressed through... Oops! Slippery rocks and a steep waterfall... And before they knew it, they were carried down with the water! Falling! With a bit of luck, they landed in a deep, crystal-clear pool. They were on a new part of the island: the west side of Isola! Drenched and startled, they emerged to find they were not alone.... Children... Dirty, hungry-looking children. Who are they and where are their parents?

We need more men. That's all there is to it. No one here is good-looking, and if I am to bear a child later on in life, what's the point in doing it if my love is to be ugly? Oh, please please please let us find a boy my age! So, when we celebrate our 'Coming of Age' ceremony, we can marry... Oh, and let him be handsome.

I walk out to the beach and take off my jewelry, setting it on the box that was planted firm on the shore. After being here for about a week, I know for a fact that the tide doesn't go too high, not high enough to wash away the only jewelry I have left of my mother. My short, silver hair shimmers in the morning light as I slowly make my way into the water. It's warmer than I thought, I thank the God for that, but it's still very chilly. My poor teeth chatter roughly against each other as I dive under the water to search for fish. I open my eyes to see if I can actually see anything, and I can! Again, I am thankful. I lunge at the fish, and after a fierce battle, I obtained a fish. I get out of the water, grinning, as I head to our food bin. I did it!

I set it on the bin, and glance around. It is gorgeous, Isola is, but for us, it is very limited. Vines are practically everywhere, coconut trees, dead plants, living plants, and a fire pit. I look at the fire pit, and struggle to remember what happened the day of... Was it the shaking earth that killed all of them? Or... raining fire, maybe? Well... Maybe they left... Memory is not all that helpful, if I think about it now. I give up on those thoughts and look around for one of the adults we ran into yesterday evening. Where are they? Oh come on, are they really that determined to keep strangers alive? Oh! Itchi... Um... She's a builder? She's building a new hut with Tonga... Well, Tonga is now fourteen... But... Maybe they are nicer than my idea on them...

"Itchi!" I call to her, jogging up the woman I see like an older sister now. Well, more like a woman to look to. As of yet, sister-status is far far away.

"Yo," Itchi is grinning at me, holding a good dozen pieces of wood, walking with ease towards the new hut, "what's up... Tara, right?" She is having trouble with my name, just as I had with their's! I'm not absent-minded, yay!

"Yep, you got it right." I smile at her as I say this. "I was hoping that you'd start the fire soon. Before our people left, I do remember this, we'd start it at noon, and it'd go until the next dawn... Like it watched over us as we slept, and kept us warm." I say gently, remembering the nights were they laughed and told stories by the campfire.

"Of course. I did notice some dry grass over where Fungo was studying earlier." Itchi says optimistically. "And then the wood here can be firewood." I look up at her, seeing as she's a good four inches taller than me. She looks identical to Tonga, except for the outfit and age: a tan, blonde hair, and crystal blue eyes. If I am not mistaken, she looks like Tonga's older sister, when in reality Tonga's older sister is me! Wow, maybe it's a coincidence. It's a nice coincidence, then.

"I'll get the dry grass," I tell her, running towards the northern part of the beach. The sand is getting warmer, and is the perfect temperature to walk on. Soon it'll be very warm, and we need shoes. I slow down as I near the coconut trees; I've hit my head one too many times running around here. I kneel down and gather the dry grass, until my short hair is full of it (that tells you something, I got a lot!). I look at my hands, which are bleeding from yanking the grass, so I didn't get the roots. The grass grows back faster if you leave the roots, Mama always told me that.

I head back to the village center, and set the grass around the fireword tepee, and stand up. I look around, and see the children running over, knowing what this means. As I smile at the children running, I hear Itchi call Fungo over, and he comes. We're all around the fire pit as Itchi and Fungo light the fire with two rocks. After a few tries, the fire blazes up into the sky. I laugh and look up at the sky, to see the fire looks as though it's reaching for the sun, which is exactly above the fire. "Itchi, Itchi! You got the time perfect for the fire!" I jump out of happiness.

Before I can say something else, or jump an other jump, Itchi hugs me. I freeze up, don't know why, either. I always hug the younger villagers. Why is this different? As I think these confusing thoughts, I hear Itchi speak. "I'm glad. I just want to make you happy."

I look up at her curiously. "But why? We are not your children, or family. So... Why?" I ask.

"Well, Fungo and I want to help you. We also want to live here and make this new village successful." Itchi said, giggling. Adults giggle?

"We're... A village now?" I ask, my cheeks are rosy now, showing that I'm happy.

"Yes. Though you were when we came, but we're starting anew." Itchi begins to hug me tighter, like a sister does, and this time, I return the hug. "But to be a successful village, we need food. And as of right now, that's the most important job, there are a total of seven people here." Itchi teases me, but lets go of the hug. I know what she means, I'm the most important thing right now to this village.

"Will do." I say confidently, running towards the beach.

============
Goddess POV
============

Their food may be limited, but it gets them through. For two months they sleep in the research hut, where all the blankets were stored, until the hut Tonga and Itchi were making was done. The day that celebrated their two month anniversary of being a 'village', the hut was completed; but Itchi and Tonga's job wasn't done. But now they have Chip to help build the Love Hut. What will happen to this new village is up to me. The next chapter in their lives is coming soon... Very soon, indeed.

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by LadyCFII (07/31/08 01:26 AM)