Mama

I hear screaming. I open my eyes to darkness, cold darkness. The fire must have gone out. I got up, with a vague idea of relighting the fire. But then the screaming starts again, and I can hear wailing too.

“MAMA! MAMA!”

The pain strikes at me. I cannot breathe. I stumble towards the sound. The screaming is leading me to the graveyard.

The moon drifts out from behind a cloud, and I see dimly that there is a young child lying upon the graves. I move closer, peering at the child. A glint of gold shines out and I suddenly understand.

Though I have never had children, I too know what it is like to loose a parent.

The difference is that I will someday be reunited with my parents.

I crouch beside the Golden Child. Tears are shining upon his young face. And in this moment, I know he is truly a child.

He opens his eyes blearily. “Mama?” he whispers.

I feel tears spring to my eyes. “No, Idris, I am not your mama.”

But I wish I were. I wish I could bring him to paradise so that he could run to his mama, and have her scoop him up into her arms, and have her tell him that everything’s all right, that everything will always be all right.

His eyes close. I can see fresh tears drifting gently down his cheeks.

I pick him up. He fusses a little, but then I set him down in my lap. It is then that I notice a rag clutched to Idris’s chest.

It is his baby blanket.

Fresh tears pour down my face. I gently tug the blanket from his hands and spread it over him.

I feel a warm breeze brushing over Idris and I. It dries our tears. I look up at the stars and smile. I am almost sure I can see the stars smiling in return.

And I fall asleep clutching Idris to my chest, our heads resting upon the grave of Missa, mother of Idris.

Missa slowly removes her hand from Idris’s head. She bends down and kisses her son

Idris feels a warm breeze play across him. He smiles.

Nina comes to Idris

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/27/08 02:27 AM)