Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 10 of 23 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#120250 - 02/20/08 12:16 AM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: kissy06]
Borg Offline
Brilliant Programmer

Loc: Maryland, USA
i am very glad you like it.

a few people have lost seeds in VST, so read and understand the warnings.

basically, just don't press the save button in VST if PT is on your desktop.

if you are only using VST for seed storage, it is just best not to have the two programs open at the same time, and you won't get into any trouble.

if you are using VST for the seed chart and find it helpful to keep VST running when PT is running, remember not to move seeds or press the save button. if you decide you need to move seeds, close both PT and VST, then re-open just VST and move the seeds you need to move.

if the arthritis gets better, the next incremental improvement would be a check to protect the user from doing things that would lead to loss of seeds.

#120255 - 02/20/08 12:32 AM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: Borg]
biddy Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Lancashire Great Britain
Thank you for that reminder Borg!!
Also would like to remind folks that they should not open ANY LDW game if VST is open - they might corrupt the files and cause their games to be "lost" - yes I know I should not have done it but I did and "lost" my original VV2 games
It was not Borg's fault but my own - I did not heed the warnigns enough!!!!
Lesson learnt - just thought I would pass on to others.
VST is a great utility if used correctly (as in Borg's insructions)

#120277 - 02/20/08 05:48 AM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: biddy]
Borg Offline
Brilliant Programmer

odd. VST should be very safe with VV1, VV2, and FT.

#120297 - 02/20/08 02:48 PM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: kissy06]
DDNYFL Offline
Trainee

Loc: NY
Made my first million woo hoo Im so excited.

#120491 - 02/22/08 04:20 AM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: DDNYFL]
DDNYFL Offline
Trainee

Loc: NY
Borg and Barbara. I know what happened to my original game. I did not close Plant Tycoon. I only minimized it. Im sure this is what must have happened.

#129336 - 04/10/08 02:42 PM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: DDNYFL]
cdbga Offline

Borg, I love Virtual Seed Tray and Constant Gardener, however I did have an issue with VST. I'm running Vista on my PC. I downloaded both VST & CG, moved them to my desktop and was using both with no problems. However, the next day, when I tried to power up my PC, I was unable to log in to Vista - it said that my User Profile did not exist. I was able to get that back by restoring to my last save point. But, when I logged in, I no longer had the VST application file, just the zip folder I'd originally downloaded it in (CG was not affected, neither was my Plant Tycoon game). Any ideas what could cause this problem or what I can do about it? Has anyone else had this happen? I have not tried downloading VST again, because I was afraid of having the same issue. It was kind of heartbreaking the first time to lose all my stored seeds (although, fortunately, I'd only stored my extras there and still had 1 of everything in my game).

#129485 - 04/11/08 06:02 AM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: cdbga]
Borg Offline
Brilliant Programmer

cdbga -

to my knowledge there is nothing in either of those programs that would do that, and lots of other vista users have not reported it.

maybe do a thorough virus and spyware check and if everything looks ok, try it again and let us know if it happens again. maybe try the programs one at a time for a week just in case one of them is causing it so we can figure out which one it is.

thanks for the report, sorry things are screwy,
-borg

#129608 - 04/11/08 06:02 PM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: Borg]
cdbga Offline

Thank you Borg! Knowing I shouldn't get that error made me feel more comfortable trying it again. I tried it on a back-up user profile - installed plant tycoon there and started a test game. Had no problems at all. Was able to use VST, shut down the computer, restarted and my user profile was still there with all my info. So, I went back to my normal user profile and installed VST again. When I opened it to store some seeds, I found the most wonderful thing - all the seeds I had saved in it last time are showing up as being there! So, I haven't lost anything at all. Anyhoo, I moved some more seeds over, saved them, shut the PC down, restarted it and was able to log in to my User Profile with no issues! I've been using Constant Gardener the whole time, so I know everything is okay with that.

Believe me, I was totally blaming Vista for this - not your wonderful programs. There are a lot of things that Vista doesn't run properly and I was afraid this was going to be another one. I'm so glad it isn't. Don't know what made things [censored], but at least if it happens again, I'll know what to do and will know nothing is really lost! Well, I'm off to cross-breed some plants now. Thanks, for your help!

Edited by cdbga (04/11/08 06:03 PM)

#131341 - 04/16/08 11:46 PM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: cdbga]
naomi_joy Offline

I just downloaded the virtual seed tray. It looks great, but I seem to have a difficulty in finding the icon for opening it. I have already opened it once using my winzip, but how do I open it each time? Do I have to use winzip each time or did the program install someplace?

Thank you.
God Bless.

#131410 - 04/17/08 02:53 AM Re: [SPOILER ALERT!] VST "Plus Version" [Re: naomi_joy]
pava Offline
Trainee

Hey, Borg, is there any chance of adding an Seed Image Chart like the ones you have for Flowers and Foliage? I've also thought I'd like to see some other cool tie-ins. See if you like them:

1. Printable seed progress chart. I'm constantly checking it to see what else needs to be "discovered," and I even made crude graph paper with a wordprocessing program. But then I have to enter all the updates by hand. Being able to print out your chart every day or two would be very helpful.

2. Image charts in .pdf or some other stand-alone format. That way, I can keep them open for reference, without the risk of losing data because I forgot to close and reopen VST before moving seeds.

3. Ability to sort seed lists alphabetically by foliage rather than flowers. I know it would add a lot to the program, but it would be easier to find foliage groups, since the breed chart order isn't anywhere near the sequence of my discoveries (and purchases).

VST is a huge benefit! I'll bet I have more than 500 seeds stored already! How on earth did folks manage with only 120 spaces in the original game?

I hope you'll be able to work out a way to keep both PT and VST open at the same time. My PC's RAM gets bogged down from opening and closing the two so often - maybe some leaky memory coding somewhere. That's all too common these days, IMHO. Nevertheless, the game is worth frequent reboots. I can't wait to fill the whole discovery chart - about halfway there now.

Oh yeah, is there any way to tell which version of VST I'm running? I downloaded two versions and can't remember which one I installed. Thanks!

Page 10 of 23 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter