Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#26968 - 07/21/06 04:21 AM Needing help with database coding...
winde Offline

I do not wish to malign Celebane's Fish Tracker, however I found I could not use it for myself. For one thing I wanted to not only track the fish, but their fry, their values and make sure I didn't breed the same two pairs together more than once. I have been playing the game only a week but I am so enthralled in it that I can't stop. only problem is I breed over 40 pairs a day (real life day) and it quickly became a problem keeping track of which fish got lucky with which fish. I am working out of Access 97 and have set up a number of tables that works for me. Now for the big problem. After only a few short days I either print out huge reports daily or I have to find a way for the database to warn me when a potential pairing I'm doing is a duplication or original. I have bashed my brain into the keyboard so many times now that it's got a permanent fghj tattoo on my forehead. Hopefully there are a few other fishy type characters out there that are well versed in access 97 or a close relative that can give me clues as to how I may set it up to do what I want. If so, msg me, email me, or post it here. when I am done I will offer up my humble contribution alongside Celebanes and give you all a choice of databases.
Jonah 1:17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights. Uhhh, yes the fish is fed.

#26969 - 07/24/06 12:31 AM Re: Needing help with database coding...
herefishyfishy Offline

use mysql - you will have a much better database experience.
You gonna put it on the web?

set up keys on two columns of your table..
Example if your table has Fish1 and Fish2 you can set keys up on both columns Fish1 and Fish2 by doing that it will not allow duplicates of that specific combination.

Let me know if you have any other problems....

#26970 - 07/24/06 12:49 AM Re: Needing help with database coding...
winde Offline

that would be a huge waste of the money I poored out for access, yes I actually bought and paid for a MS office product. your suggestion almost works, however, columns fish1 and fish2 can have duplicates out the ying yang, where I don't want duplicates are fish1 AND fish2... that way I only breed my greenfin beta to 440 other fish and don't let her sleep with the same fish twice.
Jonah 1:17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights. Uhhh, yes the fish is fed.

#26971 - 07/24/06 12:52 AM Re: Needing help with database coding...
winde Offline

Quote:

use mysql - you will have a much better database experience.
You gonna put it on the web?

actually I was hoping to work it up as a stand-alone .exe and let all the great people here on the forums have their own copy. That is if I ever get it to work. First I must get it to work like I want, then I have to figure out how to use it without having to open access 2003 every time. THEN it will be a freebie to all you nice people. Sigh, if I get it to work.

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter