Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#225273 - 10/14/10 03:20 AM GIMP, VF mods, and Macintosh?!?!
DancingHorses Offline

Loc: U.S.
Ugh. I cannot for the life of me get anything to work. I wanna make a mod, and I know exactly how I would do it...On a PC, I had a PC, it is no longer functional, and on it I had Paint Shop Pro 7 that thing would make mods so easy. But I now have a Mac, and the Corel Draw, Rave, and Photo are impossible. I can't tell the difference between them, and only Photo will let me even begin modding the picture, so I modified the picture there, transparent background and everything. But it can't save the transparent background.

Now, GIMP, everyone says it works and it's free, so I went to download it for the Mac (my version is Leopard.) And that went fine, then I went to load it, and the first thing it said it was doing was "Loading Parasites" So I immediately closed it and deleted it as this made me pretty sure it was a virus.

I tried to use Picnic too because I can actually navigate that, but it can't have a transparent background. Does anybody know a safe Mac program that has the ability to mod VF scenes? Thanks.

#225275 - 10/14/10 09:42 AM Re: GIMP, VF mods, and Macintosh?!?! [Re: DancingHorses]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
I'm pretty sure that if it were a virus it wouldn't give the game away by announcing that it was "loading parasites". I agree, though, that it is an ominous-seeming thing to see. The programmers should have given more thought to the name.

#225285 - 10/14/10 10:01 PM Re: GIMP, VF mods, and Macintosh?!?! [Re: DancingHorses]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
GIMP is a safe program. As arnie said, the name 'parasites' is a bit unfortunate, but they are defined in the GIMP developer reference as: "Arbitrary pieces of data which can be attached to various GIMP objects."

GIMP is probably the most robust of the available applications for that kind of image work that are free. I use GIMP on my Linux computers, and it works very well.

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter