Introduction:

This tutorial guide is for those wanting to use GIMP to create custom mods for Virtual Families. If you are using another image editor, the instructions regarding program commands will be very different for you, although the procedure for beginning a room will be the same. The techniques I describe for creating and drawing will also be the same. I am told that GIMP is a "clone" of Adobe's Photoshop. If that is correct, the commands for that program may be very similar.

The method I describe for beginning a room mod is the one that I developed when I began modding. It is by no means the only correct method. After you have some experience using the program you may find another way that works better for you. The purpose of this guide is just to help you get started.

The first thing you should do is read this Introduction to VF Mods . Next, make a back-up copy of your game's images folder. Instructions for how to do this can be found here . NEVER edit the files in your back-up folder. Finally, create a folder that will contain your mods. You can put this folder anywhere you like (in My Documents/My Pictures, in Program Files/VirtualFamilies, etc.) Just be sure that you can remember the location. wink

In this guide, I will use mouse and menu commands and avoid keyboard shortcuts so that you learn what commands you are actually using and where to find them. You can memorize the keyboard shortcuts later. I believe it is much easier to understand what is going on in the beginning without shortcuts.

I will assume that you have read the Introduction to Mods linked above (so that you understand layering and transparency a bit) and that you are familiar with basic Windows commands (select, edit, copy, paste, save, save as, click, double click, drag, etc.) If not, you should see Windows help and learn those functions before continuing.

I will be showing you how to create your background map for all your mods and I will create a "tutorial" bedroom that will be intended to show you how to use as many basic tools and techniques as possible. While working on this bedroom, I will use techniques that are not necessarily the way I do things or the easiest way to get a certain thing done. I've chosen a method to do each task so that I can demonstrate as many of the basic tools and techniques as possible. Hopefully, by the end you will realize there are more ways than one to do certain things, and you will have gained a greater understanding of the tools and menu commands and how they function.