I do that too and yes, I end up missing the arrow every one out of three times.

Here's also a short list of possible add-on's:
-Include a "Spirituality" bar that can effect each villager's happiness (and incentive to work), which can be tied in to Filber's idea of making "honoring" have a function. You could also have a villager's spirituality level increase when they have a baby or when their title gets upgraded (trainee->adept->master) and/or have everyone's level increase with events like completing a puzzle. Plus, to have the spirituality tech. upgrades more meaningful, you could have the rate that their levels increase accelerate with each level and/or have the idol/ruins have some part in all of this (just by simply completing them) so as to ensure high levels even after all of the puzzles have been solved.
-Also just want to second (or third or whatever) Filber's idea about making the game in fullscreen (480x320(me) & 320x480 (um...everyone else))
-Accelerate "update" calculation methods (coming back to 65 villagers after leaving it while sleeping can take a little while)
-If Filber's idea about day/night gets implamented, then perhaps have the builders keep a fire going at night--possible way to allow villagers to increase their building skills after all of the tasks are completed (ladycfii-I think that I read that you were thinking about some way to do this)
-Adding island wide events similar to the GC's parties, but for any point in the game (just for fun) such as ceremonies around the fire possibly with some drums and masks n' such (could also tie in with the spirituality idea).
-Basically, all of the other ideas that have been listed here too-they get my vote as well.

And there you have it. The abridged version of my birthd...ur, list of suggestions.
HTH
-spaceman