Quote:

I am also not keen on the idea of “puppies in battle” but for an additional reason. In addition to the down side in terms of game strategy. I just don’t want to see these cute little guys fighting. But I realize I may not be speaking for the majority.
I love all the LDW games but I think I would like see virtual pets for Windows, - and I too would like to see a few more expressions, emotions, & behaviors. Also, if it is not asking for too much, I would like to be able to influence behavior more. So, for example, if I don’t reward the pet for shaking his foot, I could "train" him to stop doing it.

I don't think the game lends itself to out and out battles like Monster Rancher but there are plenty of other forms of non-violent competition. Just imagine the possibilities of the wireless handhelds, being able to compete across the globe with your friends.

For pets, the competition could be races, obstacle courses, or other sorts of events that could be animated on the screen. Your pet's performance is based on how well you raised it. You can root for it to win but there's nothing you can really do but watch and see. If it wins, it gets points. If it loses, you have morale to improve later.

I think it's important to preserve the spirit of the game from start to finish. Monster Rancher was cutsey battling japanese monster animals. The pet games aren't violent in nature so the conflicts should be friendly. Same with Village Sim. I think it would be interesting to pit one village against another but it would have to be in a friendly competition sort of way, more Olympics than tribal warfare. That sort of competition would be above and beyond simply comparing stats, i.e. health/happiness/productivity of your village vs. your friend's.