Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
chuusu, Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12
30713 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30713 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#208977 - 08/30/09 11:21 PM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: JennaC145]
OkieD Offline

Totally true, I have had more than one room end up in the trash. You are doing an excellent job, as are all the new modders. This is hard because of the small scale and perspectives that you have to work with. Only suggestions I have are to always start with the original maps, because you know they fit, and save your layers. It is easier to just delete a layer than to start all over. Not that I am an expert, just what I have learned.

#208978 - 08/30/09 11:42 PM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: OkieD]
lam Offline

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and helpful suggestions. smile

I think I just didn't copy the room carefully enough the first time, though.

So this time, I decided to place guides! grin

I have a vertical guide marking the difficult corner, and I have horizontal guides marking the two visible floor corners, and a couple of other guides to mark edges of things that it's hard to see the edges of when I'm zoomed in. I turned on the snap to guide option, and so far it's working for me, though I still have to delete an occasional layer in this new room whenever I forgot to move to the right layer to do something on that layer.

But when I have enough finished to show it, I'll show everyone what it looks like, and if you like it I'll happily share it.

#208989 - 08/31/09 02:34 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: lam]
Krystal Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: The 'Merica
Oh my goodness, I love the rose pattern in the bedding. (It's beautiful in everything, but especially the bedspread) It's gorgeous!!

#208992 - 08/31/09 03:04 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: Krystal]
kissy06 Offline
Expert

Loc: Christiansburg VA
Oh, I've had a few rooms end up getting dumped into the trash!!! laugh But, even though it's irritating when you have to, I've found the second round... or third in some of mine... is better than the trashed room. I have a folder for each room I work on. I save each room twice, with different names, in the folder. If I am happy with the changes I've made, I save it as each name, so if I mess up one and accidentally save it, which I've done, I still have the other copy to work with. I'm really looking forward to seeing your final room. smile

#208994 - 08/31/09 04:02 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: kissy06]
lam Offline

Originally Posted By: kissy06
I have a folder for each room I work on. I save each room twice, with different names, in the folder.

I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for the idea! grin

#208996 - 08/31/09 04:11 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: lam]
kissy06 Offline
Expert

Loc: Christiansburg VA
You're welcome. I started doing it after having to trash a couple of rooms... hehe. I also save the original one with all of the layers as a separate file with nothing done to it, so if I want to do something different, the I have my layers all set up already. I've gone through 5 or 6 different ideas for my kids' room, but none of them stuck. With the layers already done it was easy enough to start over.

#208999 - 08/31/09 04:19 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: kissy06]
lam Offline

Quote:
I also save the original one with all of the layers as a separate file with nothing done to it, so if I want to do something different, the I have my layers all set up already.

I'm going to have to do that, too! Just this morning I was wondering what I'd do if I suddenly got a different idea for the same room...

#209000 - 08/31/09 04:24 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: lam]
MissKathy Administrator Offline
Lead Tester

Loc: California (USA)
Iam, your master bedroom is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Are you sure you haven't modded before? wink

#209005 - 08/31/09 06:10 AM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: MissKathy]
lam Offline

I'm sure! I'm just a perfectionist...

I'm glad you like it! smile

#209268 - 09/03/09 09:38 PM Re: Please Critique This... [Re: lam]
lam Offline

Here's what my master bedroom looks like so far since I began redoing it. This is my third attempt, and I just can't get it just exactly like the first one.

I can't remember exactly the colors in the first one, and for this one, I tried changing the perspective of the image I used for the wall pattern and for the carpet, before I poured them in. The perspective tool in GIMP can be a little difficult to work with...

I don't think this master bedroom is as good as the first one, though, mostly because I can't get the colors exactly the same. And I will lighten the wall pattern, because I like it faded as it was before. One thing I do like is that changing the perspective of the image I used for the wall pattern gave it a shaded appearance so that I didn't need to shade one wall slightly lighter as I did for the first one.

And I'm planning to add a dark border around the walls just above the floor, too.

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to improve it are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter