Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
chuusu, Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12
30713 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30713 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197509 - 06/02/09 07:44 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: esther1981]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
In that case, you are probably being prevented from editing that file by one of Vista's security features. Vista does things very differently from XP when it comes to what's installed in Program Files and how it is handled. There are situations where even being an Admin isn't enough to let you change files that are in Program Files.

There are a couple of things we can try. The first is looking for a 'shadow' copy of that file and deleting it. Vista, in certain circumstances, puts a backup copy of changed files in a special directory called VirtualStore. You'll find that directory here: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ (you'll need to select your user account where it says <your user name> when navigating to that location). If you find anything in there related to Virtual Families, you should delete it, and again try editing the file I mentioned earlier.

If that doesn't work, you should completely uninstall Virtual Families again, reinstall the game, only this time do not let the game run immediately after installing it. Uncheck both of those check boxes, and close the installer. Then run the game and see if it will launch properly (in full screen). Leave it in full screen, quit the game and try to launch it again to see if it still works.

And, please, let me know what happens. smile

#197526 - 06/02/09 09:15 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: LadyCFII]
esther1981 Offline
Master

Loc: Marion, Ohio
i cant find my virtual store! i hit my user name and it says well, its easier to take a screen shot! i dont have an app data.

Attachments
my user name.jpg

#197528 - 06/02/09 09:21 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: esther1981]
Unicorn

It's a hidden folder. The only way to get to it is by using the navigation I provided above. Double click your C: drive, then Users, then Esther, then AppData, then Local, then VirtualStore.

#197530 - 06/02/09 09:30 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: LadyCFII]
esther1981 Offline
Master

i think something must be wrong with my computer i still have no app data file!

Attachments
still no appdata.jpg

#197531 - 06/02/09 09:33 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: esther1981]
Unicorn

There's probably nothing wrong with your computer, Esther. You need to make sure that you display hidden folders. smile

To do that, you need to click on Tools=>Folder Options. Then, on the View tab, select View hidden files and folders.

Edited by LadyCFII (06/02/09 09:36 PM)
Edit Reason: Added instructions

#197540 - 06/02/09 10:09 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: LadyCFII]
esther1981 Offline
Master

ok i FINALLY found it! smile i checked through all the files in the virtual store and there was nothing in there about VF.

#197542 - 06/02/09 10:12 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: esther1981]
esther1981 Offline
Master

i called my brother-in-law down and he helped. he said as long as i can play it he doesnt see why im worried. i told him its not normal to have to run the installer just to be able to play the game. i messed it up somehow and i cant fix it. i even told him i had Barbara helping who is a computer genius. smile

#197543 - 06/02/09 10:13 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: esther1981]
Unicorn

OK, then the next thing to do is part 2 of my earlier post, which should fix the uneditable file situation:

Quote:
If that doesn't work, you should completely uninstall Virtual Families again, reinstall the game, only this time do not let the game run immediately after installing it. Uncheck both of those check boxes, and close the installer. Then run the game and see if it will launch properly (in full screen). Leave it in full screen, quit the game and try to launch it again to see if it still works.

#197548 - 06/02/09 10:21 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: LadyCFII]
esther1981 Offline
Master

ok i uninstalled reinstalled unchecked the boxes double clicked the icon and it did the same thing. i even ran the installer again just so i could put it on full screen mode then quit. i just tried the icon again same thing.

#197549 - 06/02/09 10:29 PM Re: PLZ help me! i messed up my families!!! [Re: esther1981]
esther1981 Offline
Master

is there a phone number i could call and talk to someone? i checked the contact us page but its only addresses. i would love to be able to talk to u, or anyone directly!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter