Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 206 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
chuusu, Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12
30713 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30713 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >
Topic Options
#169461 - 08/26/08 04:55 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: williamani]
williamani Offline
Consigliere

Loc: I am now here.
Originally Posted By: Lurkily
Originally Posted By: Lailai
There should be more details about the villager. Looking at the save game file, and that cheif and bla is random each time you open the game, there maybe have a important level(or il), -5 to 5.
-5 to -1 is that they will make their parter's level less.

Example:
1m, 2 il
30f, 3 il
Chances:

Example 2:
1m, -5 il
20f, 1 il ( -4 il)

Either I don't understand how you're using the "Importance levels", or I don't understand your math. 1 and 30 average to 15.5, which should give a range 12-18, with 15 and 16 being the most common. This "Importance Level" seems to only raise the number by 0.5, but I'm not sure how you got 0.5 out of levels 2 and 3. Adding them together should give you a much larger +5. And on top of that, you've got an extra possibility closer to the villager with the lower level.

I don't understand example two at all. The outcome of that pairing should be 10.5, and 10 and 11 the common results. Instead, 9 and 10, slightly below the average, are common at one end of the spectrum, and 20, who is only barely above zero importance, is the other end of the spectrum. Outcomes between these two are rare possbilities, but not below the average or above the "level 1" villager. I think you need to explain how these numbers are supposed to affect the selection.

It SEEMS like you're trying to determine how 'dominant' or 'recessive' a villager's genes are . . . but I think your system is much more complex than it has to be. Remember, for a programmer or a mathematician, simplicity is beautiful. Einstein spent a very, very long time using math to describe our universe, but his greatest achievement, the foundation of the theory of relativity, was one of the simplest of equations: E=MC².

I think a better idea might be simply to assign random values, as you suggest, but don't do any calculations on them; just give the one that's higher a set level of precedence in determining the children. For instance, you might average the villagers to determine the outcome, then average that outcome again with the dominant villager. So, a 10 and a 30 equal a 20. If the 30 has a higher level than the 10, you might averaging the outcome, 20, with 30 again gives you 25. If the ten were more dominant, averaging the outcome again by 10 would give you 15. Any other system would also work, but this is just an example.

Originally Posted By: williamani
am i a she? call me a he. I am an man. you can tell it by my username. it is williaMANi.
Must have mistaken Isolyan's post for yours. Don't worry, Mr Manny, I'd never mistake you for a girl.
phew.
i dont understand what is il. can you not make it simplifier?

EDIT: well, how do you tell how many points/levels/il it is off the average?

EDIT 2: i think you are totally wrong.
ugh, i think it is just the average. i don't know what "improtancy ils/levels" you are mentioning. i don't really know what you mean. i highly think the average is what the parents are.

i think this is it:
1Female+30Male
chances:
13 14 15 16 17 18
i really don't want to be mean, i really don't, but, tell us. how did you get that in your mind?

Edited by williamani (08/26/08 05:11 PM)

#169467 - 08/26/08 05:18 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: williamani]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Loc: Right behind you.
Originally Posted By: Williamani
ugh, i think it is just the average. i don't know what "improtancy ils/levels" you are mentioning. i don't really know what you mean. i highly think the average is what the parents are.

i think this is it:
1Female+30Male
chances:
13 14 15 16 17 18
i really don't want to be mean, i really don't, but, tell us. how did you get that in your mind?
I don't think we can say he's wrong, until we know how he's trying to use these numbers, including the 'IL', to arrive at that result. But I really do want to know how that's being done, because I don't understand.

#169585 - 08/27/08 05:25 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: Lurkily]
williamani Offline
Consigliere

i think Lailai is meaning:

il = average point

a average point is how many points it can be off. most commonly it will be the average, but there is a possibility that there can be one average point away from it. or even two. you are luckier if you have 3 points off the average. but a child under the average range does never give you luck.

a average range is as big as 3 average points. or even you can excpect a 4-point-off or even 5-point-off which produces a very special child.

it can be 1 average point long, 2 average points long, 3 average points long, or even 4 average point or even 5 average points long. but never 2- or 3-, because the most child ALWAYS is the middle. so, every parent has 5 il. no exceptions.

#169588 - 08/27/08 05:31 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: williamani]
Veggies Offline

If there are no exceptions, how do you explain two blonde-haired parents producing a black-haired child, or vice versa? I see that happen all the time.

#169589 - 08/27/08 05:32 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: Lurkily]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

il = average point

a average point is how many points it can be off.
I've already explained why I don't think this is the case in my first response to LaiLai.
This "Importance Level" seems to only raise the number by 0.5, but I'm not sure how you got 0.5 out of levels 2 and 3. Adding them together should give you a much larger +5.
Because of this, and also because example two doesn't provide a range of numbers that is less likely on the outside of the range, but MORE likely on the outside of the range, and a range that stretched from .5 away from the average all the way to the same number as one of the parents, I think what LaiLai is trying to do isn't nearly that simple.

No operation like what you describe could possibly, concievably result in example two: something else has to be going on in LaiLai's suggestion.

#169591 - 08/27/08 05:47 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: Lurkily]
williamani Offline
Consigliere

i got another Miss Pink Hair. \:o

#169592 - 08/27/08 05:48 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: Lurkily]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

il = average point

a average point is how many points it can be off.
I've already explained why I don't think this is the case in my first response to LaiLai.
This "Importance Level" seems to only raise the number by 0.5, but I'm not sure how you got 0.5 out of levels 2 and 3. Adding them together should give you a much larger +5.

Also, example two doesn't provide a range of numbers that is less likely on the outside of the range, but MORE likely on the outside of the range. To make it weirder, the range stretched from almost the average all the way to the same number as one of the parents. (Rather than, say, 4 digits above and below the average.)

Because of the discrepancies in both examples, I think what LaiLai is trying to do isn't nearly that simple. No operation like what you describe could possibly, concievably result in example two: something else has to be going on in LaiLai's suggestion.

#169595 - 08/27/08 06:00 PM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which c [Re: Lurkily]
williamani Offline
Consigliere

okay, i understand. and i think i don't understand enough of Lailai's suggestion.

in other news, i got even more 29Females! and also more Pink Haired Girls.

#172511 - 09/22/08 02:35 AM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which child [Re: Akamu]
leaiso Offline

Here goes nothing... my favorite female right now is a #2 - so thanks to this guide I saw that I have a #3 male - so I'm going to try and hope to get a child who looks like her mother! \:\) Thank you for this very cool guide!

#172513 - 09/22/08 03:22 AM Re: VV2 Genetics Guide: Which parents make which child [Re: leaiso]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Good luck! Make sure to monitor parenting - genetics tends to 'drift' away from the extremes, and closer to the middle of the scale.

Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter