Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214809 - 01/07/10 04:25 AM What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use?
Tralah Offline
Adviser

Anyone have any sort of Naming game going on with their families? I'm doing an alphabet themed game with one family. Here's how it works.

The first two were named Arthur and Annabel, and they had six children: Alice, Alexander, Adrian (adopted), Asher, Athena, and Amadeus.

Even though the names start with A, I try choose names that don't sound all that similar to each other except for the fact they begin with A. I also try to choose names that seem to fit the child's looks and personality.

Since I like leaving things up to chance, I roll a die to choose which child inherits, and it's Athena!

However, I can't have a family entirely of B starting names because Athena's name starts with A. So I decide she'll marry someone whose name starts with B, and she'll have only ONE child whose name also starts with B, and that child will inherit and marry someone whose name starts with B, and then they'll be able to have a full B family.

In order to keep it challenging to me though, I decided that for these transitional generations, the names would have to have some different theme in common to tie them together since they couldn't begin with the same letter. Athena's name comes from the Greek goddess of wisdom. I looked for a Greek god's name that began with "B" and found one called Bacchus who was the god of wine, and that name was used by both the Greeks and the Romans. Therefore, I gave their daughter the name Bellona for the Roman goddess of war.

So then Bellona's parents pass away and she inherits. She marries a handsome brown haired man named Bran and have children including the first set of twins! Beatrix and twins Bethany and Bridget, then Benjamin, Belinda and Basil.

When it became time to inherit I rolled the die again and the choice this time was Basil.

The name Basil comes from a type of herb plant, so that would be his theme. He marries a woman named Camellia,which is the name of a type of flower, and they have a daughter named Cerise which is the French name that means "cherry".

Cerise grows up and adopts a little girl named Catriona. She then marries an interesting man with back white hair named Calvin. They have five more children named Charles, Conor, Caleb, Celeste, and Coralie.

Right now I'm looking forward to seeing which one will inherit next!

I've been enjoying this theme, but I hope LDW fixes the bug that doesn't allow people to progress pass 30 generations or I won't ever get to Z. I still have a long ways to go though, so hopefully it'll be fixed by then. There's a good chance I might get tired of the theme too, but so far I'm having fun figuring out what to name them under these rules.

I'd really love to hear what other sort of self imposed rules such as naming themes people are following to make the game interesting to them.

Edited by Tralah (01/07/10 04:34 AM)

#214810 - 01/07/10 04:31 AM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Tralah]
Jhanny Offline
Adviser

Loc: Los Angeles, California
As for names, I did the Alphabet, but not like A's then B's just each individual is a next letter, but now I'm doing the alphabet backwards :]

#214814 - 01/07/10 08:52 AM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Tralah]
zippie Offline
Expert

Tralah, there are 26 letters of the alphabet, so you should be able to complete your project. Interesting what people do with these games.

#214827 - 01/07/10 03:31 PM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: zippie]
Tralah Offline
Adviser

Nope, as I described above, I'm not going from A, to B, to C. It's more like A, AB, B, BC, C, CD, D, etc.

I'm going like this:
Generation One: Annabel & Arthur and 6 kids' names that start with A
Generation Two: Athena & Bacchus and only one child, Bellona
Generation Three: Bellona & Bran and kids' names that start with B
Generation Four: Basil & Camellia and only one child, Cerise
Generation Five: Cerise & Calvin have 6 kids' names that start with C

So for generation 6, their child will marry someone's name who starts with "D" and have one child whose name starts with D to begin the D family. That's going to take twice as many as 26 generations doing it that way.

Edited by Tralah (01/07/10 03:35 PM)

#214853 - 01/08/10 12:04 AM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Tralah]
Jhanny Offline
Adviser

Loc: Los Angeles, California
No it is not.
1Gen: A
2Gen: B
3Gen: C
etc.

#214871 - 01/08/10 06:20 AM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Tralah]
knksmiles Offline
Master

Tralah is correct. It would take 52 generations because each letter is used for two generations. I think that is an interesting way to mix up the game. Have you come up with an inheritor you couldn't come up with a theme for? Or do you pick your six names with an eye toward a possible theme when/if they inherit?

#214903 - 01/08/10 08:00 PM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: knksmiles]
Tralah Offline
Adviser

I am trying to choose names I like that seem to fit the way the character looks, and not worry too much what I'll do with the theme when they inherit, because I figure I'll find some way to make it work.

I rolled the die yesterday after Cerise and Calvin passed away, and it turns out Conor inherited. Conor is an Irish name, so for his wife I'm going to research an Irish name that starts with D, and their only child's name will be an Irish name that starts with D too.

Jhanny, I still think you're not getting what I'm trying to say. It's actually more like this:

1Gen: A
2Gen: A transitions to B
3Gen: B
4Gen: B transitions to C

I hope that makes sense now. smile

The only thing I'm not sure about what I'll do is if I get triplets during one of the transitional generations. I already got the twins trophy, so if I get twins during one of those decades, I'll just use the backup save game files to try until I get a single. But since I still need the triplet trophy, it'll be tempting to keep them, but I'd kind of hate to do that since it'd break the pattern.

Edited by Tralah (01/08/10 08:06 PM)

#214929 - 01/09/10 04:14 AM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Tralah]
Village Kid Offline
Trainee

Loc: AUSSIE AND PROUD OF IT!
What I like to do is make a theme for each gen and make realted names. eg. Space, Comet. But then every now and then I change the rule for diffrent familys to make it intresting.

#214938 - 01/09/10 05:51 AM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Village Kid]
Jenny23 Offline
Master

Loc: NY
Three of my families are about to end as they are in their 31st generation. When I start new families to replace them, I think I'll go with hair themes--all blond, all black, etc.

#214946 - 01/09/10 03:12 PM Re: What Name Themes Or Self Imposed Rules Do You Use? [Re: Jenny23]
horsecrazy123 Offline
Expert

Loc: None of your business, lol
I just name my families randomly. Any thing that is cute and matches their personality is great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter