Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
chuusu, Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12
30713 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30713 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#186383 - 04/12/09 07:27 PM SecuROM in LDW games
Lailai Offline
Master

Loc: Ldw Forums
I'm just wondering if VF will have SecuROM in the game or not. In case you don't know, Secu is a DRM software that installs into your PC without your knowledge, connects to Sony's server sending encypted data and messes with the PC.

Real life example:
"I was burning some iTunes music backup and it takes 15 minutes. I uninstalled SecuROM, and it's less than a minute."

"Disk burner crashes after installing Sims 2"

I hope no LDW games will contain overdone DRM. It's bundled with most EA games for PC, such as Sims 2, Sims 3, Sploe[how to spell?] and other games. It gains more power than you, runs in background all the time and phones back to the server.

Sorry if this is ..weird, I'm trying to explain securom. Will LDW games include SecuROM or Starforce?

#186391 - 04/12/09 09:27 PM Re: SecuROM in LDW games [Re: Lailai]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
I did read that EA Games have bowed to pressure and won't after all be using their over-the-top DRM method in Sims 3. Whether that means no SecuROM I can't say.

I doubt that LDW would include that sort of DRM in the version downloaded from this site, but the DRM side is down down to the games portals, who use their own, so there is a possibility some versions might contain it.

#186392 - 04/12/09 09:29 PM Re: SecuROM in LDW games [Re: Lailai]
Britney Offline
Master

Loc: Tumblr
Well, thank you for asking, I was just about to ask the same thing. smile

And it's "Spore." SecuROM is made by Sony.
Lots of people in the gaming community that play EA games (at least in the Sims dept.), have complained about SecuROM and are frustated/angry with it.

#186393 - 04/12/09 09:43 PM Re: SecuROM in LDW games [Re: Britney]
becky28 Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
I'm glad someone has actually mentioned this....

I've never noticed the DRM or SecuROM operating on my computer, though does explain why both Sims 2 and Spore run so slowly on my computer despite the fact I have more memory/requirements on my computer than the minimum "recommended" for both games. Glad to hear Sims 3 will not have the overloaded DRM when it comes out, but stiil concerned my computer won't cope in it's current state - still anticipating having to upgrade before attempting to run it.

With respect to LDWs games, if you're concerned whether the portals you download from may use these types of programmes also, then download direct from LDW, you won't have these problems then. Most computers released in the last 5 years or so can run these games, which is why they are so great!!!!

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter