Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
chuusu, Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12
30713 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30713 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#68021 - 03/30/07 09:16 PM Changing the heads of ugly villagers
Pax Offline
Trainee

Loc: Texas
Is there any way to change the head of a villager? I have one who looks like "monkey-boy" that I really can't stand. \:D

I looked through my VV2 file and can't even find the saved games, are they somewhere else besides in the VV2 folder?

#68022 - 03/30/07 09:19 PM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Pax]
Borg Offline
Brilliant Programmer

Loc: Maryland, USA
they are in your my documents folder, subfolder LDW, subfolder VV The Lost Children

you are correct - there is no way in the game to change heads.

some people have modified the images of the heads in the image folder and replaced some heads with others.

#68057 - 03/30/07 11:59 PM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Borg]
Pax Offline
Trainee

Thanks so much for telling me where the pics were. \:\) Have modified the male heads using Paint, now "monkey-boy" is no longer uuuuuuuugly... well any future boys born with that head, anyway. \:D

Edited by Pax (03/31/07 12:00 AM)

#68060 - 03/31/07 12:30 AM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Pax]
Borg Offline
Brilliant Programmer

Loc: Maryland, USA
I don't think you can modify the heads image file with paint, because it does not keep the background translucent.

#68064 - 03/31/07 01:14 AM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Borg]
Pax Offline
Trainee

Exactly right, I had to go to Adobe and make it transparent.

Guess what though, the edit actually changed the heads of the current villagers! Hooray! No more "monkey-boy"! \:D

#68068 - 03/31/07 01:52 AM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Pax]
Yeowsers Offline

Can you "create" your own heads???!?!?!! Can you give more specific details how?

#68070 - 03/31/07 02:57 AM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Yeowsers]
Pax Offline
Trainee

Sure.

All I did was open the male_heads.png file I found in the Virtual Villagers The Lost Children/Images folder with Paint... but...

First and most important!!
Rename the original file you find in the Images folder with a .bak extension, so you can go back to the original if you mess something up.
\:\)

Okay, after you've protected the original file, copy it to your desktop and give it it a .png extension again. Then you can change the heads the way you want them to look, using either Paint or another graphics program, and save the file to your desktop again. After that, if you've used Paint, open the file with Adobe (or any other program capable of making the background transparent), make the background transparent again, and save it to your desktop in non-interlaced format. I would suggest stashing a copy of it in the LDW folder in My Documents.

After that, copy it from your desktop into the VV2 Images folder under the original filename: male_heads.png

That's about it. \:\)

(By the way, the only reason I used Paint was that I just got Adobe and am not familiar with it yet.)

Edited by Pax (03/31/07 08:20 AM)

#68084 - 03/31/07 09:03 AM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: Pax]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
The important thing is to use a program that can save the transparency information, or your heads will be messed up. If you are not sure if your program can do that, it quite likely can't. You need a program like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or Fireworks.

#68109 - 03/31/07 08:05 PM Re: Changing the heads of ugly villagers [Re: arnie]
Pax Offline
Trainee

Yes, you *must* have a program available that can do transparencies, just Paint alone won't cut it.

If you use Paint first and wind up with a solid background, it's not hard to make the background transparent again with a program that can do transparencies.

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter