Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186930 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96994 - 09/18/07 06:31 AM A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT
SaxyT Offline
Guru

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Okay, so after reading some of the wonderful stories here, and after some encouragement from Krystal, I thought it might be time again, after many years, to try my hand at writing again. So I've been working on my own little VV2 story and thought it was time to share it.

A little disclaimer, I haven't had nearly the time to read all of the stories here so if anything in this story seems like you wrote it already, it's purely fluke. But feel free to tell me, I'd love to read your own story and I'll gladly amend mine if I accidently copied something.

So here is goes, please let me know what you think and please, please be honest. If you all don't like it, that's fine, I'll remove this post and just keep writing for myself. I have five chapters so far but I think I'll just start with a little taste of the introduction and the first chapter. Can't wait to hear what you all think!

A Twist of Fate

Introduction

"Fine, Mom! I'll put some headphones on then!" Noa shouted down the hall as she turned back into her room and slammed the door.

"She's always nagging me. I can't stand it! I'm 15, I'm not a kid!"

Noa sat down at her computer and plugged in some headphones. She couldn't take another lecture on loud music from her mother. With her short blond hair, she was a pretty girl, but, like most teenagers, felt unappreciated, felt like she didn’t fit in. She never realized she wasn't the only teenager to feel this way. This made her feel very alone in the world.

"I don't have any real friends, no one appreciates me, and I can't stand it anymore! Why do I have to be here? There must be somewhere I fit in!"

Frustrated and sad, she slapped the lid of her laptop closed and flopped on her bed crying. "I wish I wasn't here" she sobbed as her tears carried her into a deep sleep.

A Twist of Fate

Chapter One, Part One

Screams and a loud splash woke Noa in a panic. "What was that? Did someone fall in the pool?" Without thinking of the danger Noa ran to her door and ripped it open. She went to run down the hall and make sure everyone was okay but after a few disoriented steps, she realized that the sun was blaring in her face, blinding her momentarily. "What the...? Why is it so bright in the house?" She took another step and looked down in shock to realize she was walking on sand. "What is going on here?"

She blinked hard a few times and started to focus. She saw a pool of water not far from where she stood and two figures slowly climbing out. Just as she meant to run from the strangers she heard a small voice behind her say "Noa, who are they?"

She screamed in surprise and whipped around to see four children behind her. Two of them looked to be around her age, the other two quite small. "Who are you? How do you know my name? Where am I?"

"Noa, stop it! Jem is terrified! Pretending you don't know us isn't going to help her!" This was spoken by the oldest of the four children, a pretty black haired girl.

"Stop what?! I'm not pretending! I have no idea who you are!" The little girl, apparently named Jem, started crying hard and hid behind the black haired girl.

"Now look what you did. I sometimes wonder if it was the right move putting you in charge just because you're the oldest. Seriously, Noa!" she said then she turned to the other children and said "Come on, lets go say hi to them".

Noa stood there shocked for a moment and then reason set in "Wait! Stop! What are you doing? They're strangers! They could be here to hurt us!" Jem started crying harder.

"Come on Noa," the oldest boy said, "We're in the middle of nowhere! They are either here to rescue us, or they need help too." Noa stood there with her mouth agape, unable to find words as she watched the four children moved towards the strangers. Figuring it was the best thing to do, she rushed to catch up with the children.

"Hi" said the black haired girl to the strangers.

"Hello!" said the woman. She was taller than average and lean with a shock of curly red hair. Her voice was soft and friendly. Noa started to breathe again. "My name is Bibi" she said "and this is my younger brother, Obi" she pointed to the man beside her. Noa looked at the man for the first time and her heart skipped a beat. He was gorgeous. He looked young and fit but had this unique looking head of silver head. His hair didn't at all make him look older; in fact, it more made it look like he was glowing all the time.

"I'm 24 and Obi is 20" Bibi continued. Noa shook her head. She hadn't realized she was staring. She was completely captivated by Obi. Clearing her head, she realized that he was looking right at her with a mix of curiosity and amusement. She turned a very dark shade of red. Someone nudged her ribs.

"Go on Noa, introduce us!" the oldest boy said.

"Uh, well, uh..." Noa stammered, too embarrassed to speak.

The boy sighed, "Girls, geez. I'm Piku, I'm 12. This is Noa, she's 15. This is Mua, she's 13" he indicated to the black haired girl, "and Coen, he's 9" as he ruffled the youngest boys hair, much to his protest. "And this little cutie" he indicated towards the little girl "is Jem, she's only 4". Piku was tall for his age. Dark skin, and long curly brown hair. The young boy, Coen, was small and too thin and had bright orange hair. Jem was cute and very small with long straight brown hair. None of the children looked like they could be related at all.

Bibi nodded to them. "Hello. Where are your parents?"

"We don't know." Said Mua, "they went to look for help and left Noa in charge but they haven't returned yet".

"Oh, well, when did they leave? They should be back soon", said Bibi.

"They left 7 months ago" said Piku grimly, looking at the ground. Then he put a hand to his face and whispered to Bibi "I don't think they're coming back".

"Well, how have you been living?" Bibi asked.

"They left us a bunch of food, but now it's almost gone!" said Coen for the first time. Noa looked at the little boy wondering what he was talking about. Why were they saying these things like it was common knowledge? Why were they saying she was in charge?

Bibi's heart sank for the children and she looked at her brother. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Obi nodded.

"Okay, listen. We're from the other side of the island. We were exploring the island when we entered a cave and accidentally slid through a hole," she pointed to the top of the waterfall "and landed in your lagoon. I have no idea how we're going to get back through there, but until we figure it out, we may as well all work together to survive, okay?"

The children nodded. Noa breathed a sigh of relief. At least while she tried to figure out where she was and what she was doing here, it seemed Bibi would take over the duties of leadership roles. One less thing for Noa to worry about.

"So, first we need a fire" Bibi continued, "Obi, I see some dry grass over there, you grab that, I'll grab some of this driftwood." Obi nodded.

"He's a quiet one, isn't he?" Noa thought, smiling to herself as he walked past her, still dripping from the lagoon's water.

As Bibi went to pick up some driftwood, little Jem detached herself from Mua's leg and ran after her, giggling. When Obi returned with the dry grass, he placed it on Bibi's driftwood in the fire pit and lit a blazing fire. He seemed to do it with ease and Noa found herself blushing again. Bibi added some more driftwood and then turned to everyone.

A Twist of Fate

Chapter One, Part Two

"Okay, obviously, food is dire", said Bibi.

"What does dire mean?" asked Coen.

Bibi chuckled, "Sorry Coen, it means that gathering food is the most important thing we need to focus on. But we also need some additional shelter. In our tribe on the other side of the island, children aren't allowed to work until they turn 14, so that means, for now, that is up to Obi, Noa and I to work on shelter and food." Noa looked up startled.

"You want me to work? Are you nuts?"

Bibi gave her a stern look, "Do you want to starve then?"

"No, of course not!"

"Then you're working. Our father was a carpenter and taught me a lot of the basics of what he knows so how about I start on a new hut for us, since there are 7 of us now" she said, looking towards the tiny hut that stood in the centre of the camp, "and Obi, how about you take Noa fishing." Obi nodded and stood up. He flashed Noa a smile and grabbed her wrist. She froze, fixated on his perfect smile. He tugged her wrist and nodded towards the ocean and she slowly started to walk.

"Bibi, I turn 14 tomorrow, can I help now?" asked Mua. Bibi smiled at her, "No, you can work tomorrow. Today, enjoy your last day of youth with the others" and she turned to start building a hut.

Down by the ocean, Obi fished with ease, finding fish immediately. Noa noticed that he swam like a fish, graceful and strong. She tried fishing but failed to come up with any fish. How did Obi make it look so easy? On her third try she caught a fish. While she carried it to the food bin, she realized that was easier than she thought. There was a trick to it and she thought she might have figured it out.

On her way back to the ocean a boy stops her and says "I want to be left alone at this research table, okay?"

"Uh, okay", she says and turns to follow Obi back to the ocean, "uh, what's your name?"

"Biggles" he calls over his shoulder and runs to the table. "Strange" thought Noa, "I never noticed him before". As she continues to walk to the ocean Piku comes running up to her at full speed.

"Noa, Noa! Some kid just stole some of our research!"

"Our what?"

"Our research! Our research!"

"And you want me to do what exactly?" Noa said, rather annoyed.

Piku's shoulders dropped, he was breathing hard from running. "Never mind" he mumbled, then turned and walked away.

Feeling a bit guilty, Noa shook her head and said to herself "Well, serves him right for bugging me". She went back to the ocean.

Noa and Obi fished for hours that day. Not once did she see him say anything, but she found it enduring. Once dusk started to sink in, Bibi called them over to the fire. She had cooked up some of the fish they had caught and said it was getting to dark to continue for the day. As they ate together, Bibi said that she and Obi would sleep by the fire until the hut was finished. The existing hut was just too small for all of them and it wasn't fair for them to intrude. Noa quite thought it would be nice to have Obi's muscled body keeping her warm but she decided it was best not voice this. Instead, she crammed into the hut with the other children and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

Aww, thanks guys! I'm glad you like it so far.

Well, here's the next chapter for you.

Chapter Two
The Birthday

When she awoke the next morning the sun was bright. Everyone seemed to still be asleep so she got up quietly. As she approached the door of the hut a wonderful smell filled her senses. She opened the door just enough to slip out and bring in minimal light to wake the others. She immediately noticed Bibi crouched at the lagoon, washing her face. Only then did she realize that she had no change of clothes, no makeup, and no hairbrush. She must look awful. She searched quickly for Obi, thinking she could sneak over to the lagoon unnoticed by him and clean up but her heart sank when she noticed him standing over the fire with crab on a stick and smiling at her. Too late. He nodded towards her sister and Noa seemed to understand what he was trying to say. She walked over to the lagoon and was not surprised when Bibi greeted her without looking up. It seemed like nothing could startle Bibi.

"Good morning Noa", said Bibi, "how did you sleep?"

"Uh, fine I guess, you?"

"Just fine, Noa" A grin flashed across her face as she looked up to see Noa looking at Obi. "He wanted to cook up the crab he caught yesterday for Mua's birthday breakfast. As soon as he gets it on the fire, he's going to wake the boys then take them for a walk in the woods while us girls bathe and clean up, you know, give us a little privacy. I thought we'd eat after and celebrate before I teach Mua how to research. Then I should get back to the hut while you and Obi find more food today."

"But I thought you said Mua was too young to work" Noa said, still trying to figure out how Bibi knew it was Mua's birthday. Bibi sensed this.

"It's her birthday, Noa, she told me yesterday. She turns 14 today so she's old enough to work now. And we really should start researching new ways to build, new technology, and new means of finding food if we're going to survive. Since we really need a new hut and still need much more food, Mua's perfect for the job. And she quite a bright young girl."

"Sure, I guess", said Noa, not really liking Bibi complimenting someone else.

"And so are you", said Bibi, picking up on Noa's resentment "look how quickly you learned to fish yesterday and you've become so good at it. You should be proud." Noa smiled a little. "Why don't you go wake the others." And Bibi turned back to the lagoon.

Noa felt better after a bath and sat down with the others for Mua's birthday breakfast. The crab was sweet and delicious and melted on the tongue. Everyone enjoyed it and sang to Mua. When they complimented Obi on his excellent cooking, he just smiled his sincere smile and nodded, never saying a word, but making his thanks clear. After breakfast, Bibi took Mua to the research table to start training and Noa followed Obi to the ocean. She still didn't like the idea of working but had to admit that fishing was quite fun. And she liked being able to do the chore with Obi, it kept him by her all day. The little ones spent the day finding mushrooms to add to the food bin and suddenly, Coen found a seashell. He rushed it over to Mua at the research table and she decided that they should keep in and show it off. It was a beautiful shell. She told Coen to tell the children to look for more. She would keep the first kind of each shell and use the rest for research. It didn't take long for the children to realize that there were also stones to collect, and bugs, and butterflies. In between retrievals, the children would play and laugh and chase each other.

Over the next few days, Mua talked to Noa a lot during meals and breaks and baths and Noa realized they had a lot in common. Mua had no idea what a computer was, or who Noa's favorite music groups were and thought that Noa was making these things up to make her laugh. Noa, realizing that Mua must have been born on this island, used this to her advantage and quickly became known as a story teller. She spoke a lot about her world during meals and the children loved it. Bibi would laugh and Obi would watch her with interest as she spoke. Noa liked this new role and was finding a great friend in Mua.

As she worked, Noa would stop and watch the children in between trips to the ocean and smile. She still wasn't sure that she wasn't dreaming, still not sure how she wound up here and why the children knew her, but she was actually enjoying herself. While she sorted out the mystery in her own mind, she was forming a family and friends that seemed to truly love her and accept her.

You Guys are so great!

Chapter 3, here we come!

Chapter Three
Coen's Discovery

A year passed and every day seemed the same and different in their own ways. The same chores needed to be done each day but yet, each day seemed an adventure. The hut was half way finished, Mua was getting closer to research advancements and Noa was completely relaxed in her role as provider and seemed to grow closer to Obi each day, although he still has not spoken a word. Noa wondered if he was even capable of speech. But she feared that he viewed her as a friend or a sister when she thought more of him. He wasn't much older than her, she told herself, only 5 years. But at 16, she figured she still had time. They were both adept at fishing now and as long as she could continue to share this one thing with Obi, she was happy. But she still couldn't bring herself to talk to Mua about Obi. At home, she always spoke with her girlfriends about boys. Mua had become closer to her than any of her friends at home had ever been, yet she couldn't speak of Obi to her. And Noa couldn't figure out why.

While she was heading back into the ocean one day she heard Coen call out from the near by coconut trees. She rushed over to him and found he had discovered a gigantic coconut. It was too heavy for her to lift alone so she called out for Obi who was near to help. Together they carried it back to the camp. Bibi tried to open it but the outer shell was simply too tough. Mua sorted through the tools they had gathered but couldn't find a single tool to open it. Perplexed and excited, the group looked at each other for a solution.

"We could try to soften it in the water" said Bibi, perking up.

"Or, we could throw it off the diving rock!" said Noa. They both looked at Obi as if to ask him what he thought they should do. He looked at each girl and smiled. Looking at Noa, he nodded towards the diving rock. She smiled back, "okay, let's do it then!" Together they picked up the coconut and worked together to get the large mass to the top of the diving rock. They stood together and with all their might, threw the coconut off the top.

Bibi ran to the coconut and shrieked in excitement as Noa and Obi scrambled down the rock to meet her. "It worked, it worked!" she cried out, "It cracked a little and I think I can wedge a stone in here!" She grabbed a nearby narrow stone and managed to crack the coconut in half. Noa screamed and jumped up and down. "I can't believe we did it!!" She turned to Obi who smiled at her and suddenly reached out and gave her a hug.

Completely shocked, Noa didn't know what to make of this. She looked in Obi's twinkling eyes and returned his smile. She was completely unaware of Bibi grinning beside her or the others running up to see what happened. Was Obi trying to tell her something? Or was he just simply saying "good job". She backed away and turned to others. "How about a party tonight?" she said, elated. And that night, they all celebrated, dancing, singing, laughing and enjoying the sweetest coconut they had ever tasted and drinking the smooth milk. Mua was seen constantly grabbing bits of coconut skin and shell and stowing them in the research hut, but she always returned quickly to continue with the party. They stayed up late, enjoying each other, enjoying their new family.

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 08:19 PM)

#96995 - 09/18/07 06:40 AM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: SaxyT]
SaxyT Offline
Guru

I'd love you to PM me your idea Krystal, just curious if you're right! You're a smart cookie so my hopes are high with you!

So our litte tribe is becoming a family and Noa is feeling right at home. What could possibly make life any better? Well, let's find out shall we?

Chapter Four
Piku Comes of Age

More months passed and life continued for tribe. Piku would be turning 14 shortly and already expressed a desire to learn carpentry from Bibi. Bibi promised to teach him on his 14th birthday and this kept Piku happy, but anxious to grow up.

Noa was starting to forget that she still needed to figure out how she got here. She felt so at home with these people, on this island. She still remembered her parents and was missing them, but a part of her didn't want to find to out it was a dream and wake up. She was accepted here and the island was changing her, for the better. She wasn't angry anymore. She wasn't lonely anymore. Instead of looking for compliments, she found her self encouraging the little ones when they would find another shell or bug or mushroom. Even though food needed to be gathered everyday, they hadn't worried about food in a long time. There were always plenty of surpluses. And despite the small camp they had, there was never an issue with space or privacy. Obi took the boys for a walk every morning while breakfast cooked and the girls cleaned and then the girls would go exploring after breakfast while the boys cleaned up. They would take breaks from chores to swim in the lagoon, or simply cool their feet in the refreshing water. They spent every dinner under the stars by the fire. And soon, the hut would be finished and Bibi and Obi would no longer have to sleep outside. Life was good here.

Although Noa wasn't the oldest, it was clear that the younger children looked at her and Bibi and Obi as parental figures and she had long since formed a special bond with each of them. She would still tell many stories and loved to teach the children. They were growing so fast though and before long, they would all be of age to work. Little Jem proved to be the best at catching butterflies, Coen could scout a rock from a mile away and Piku still enjoyed chasing after them all day, despite being almost 14.

One day, while taking a break, Noa went over to Mua at the research table and asked to talk. "Sure", said Mua, "I can take a break now. What's up"?

"Uh, well" stammered Noa. Mua's face lit up.

"Are you going to finally tell me about Obi?"

"What?!" screeched Noa, louder than she meant to. She blushed and frantically looked around to see if anyone heard her.

"The day that Obi and Bibi showed up I noticed how you looked him. I've been waiting for you to talk about him but I didn't want to embarrass you and bring it up."

"You what? Was I that obvious?" whispered Noa.

"Well, sort of, but I just knew you. Bibi noticed too, she was quite happy to see you were interested in Obi" The color in Noa's cheeks deepened.

"You talked to Bibi about me?" Noa said, slightly hurt by this.

"Well, she sort of came to me one day. She knew that I had known you all my life and had grown up with you. She wanted to know. She thinks he likes you too." Noa froze mouth open in shock. Mua chuckled, "Well, don't look so surprised, you had to have noticed the way he looks at you."

"But, he has never said anything to me!"

"In case you hadn't noticed, he never says anything, ever. I wouldn't take it personally. Have you ever really looked into his eyes? He doesn't need to say anything, his eyes say it all. According to Bibi, he never really said much growing up. She never really worried about it, just seemed to be his way. He didn't need to speak, so he didn't bother. But he's apparently very intelligent and has many talents." Mua paused and blushed "And he's really cute".

"Oh no", moaned Noa, "you like him too?"

"Well, actually" and Mua lowered her voice "I kind of like Piku, even if he is a year younger than me." Noa grinned. The two friends spoke for a while longer and from that day on, spent much time huddled together talking about they two boys in their lives. Noa started to worry less about the 5 year age difference. In less than two years, she would be a grown woman by tribe standards and it looked like Obi didn't mind waiting, even if he never said so.

Yes, the girls are very much in love, but do the guys feel the same way?

So, Noa has a breakthrough and realizes that she has a true friend in Mua and shares her secret. How will life continue?

Chapter Five
The New Researcher

One day, while Noa was taking a break from fishing, Bibi came up to her.

"Hey, how are doing?" She asked Noa.

"Fine. You?"

"Just fine. But I'm a little worried about our research. It's a lot for Mua to do alone and she's working hard, but one person can only move so fast. I was thinking, since our food supply is really getting up there, that you might like to spend some time each day helping her, and some time fishing. Piku will be of age soon, but he really wants to learn to build and I could really use his help. This hut is taking forever alone and we still need to start working on that broken down hut on the south end of the beach. What do you think?"

Noa paused for a minute. She didn't like to think about spending less time with Obi each day, but Bibi made a good point. And it would be nice to work beside her best friend for a while. "I don't have to completely give up fishing will I?" she asked, thinking this was the best way to word it.

Bibi smiled at her. "No, you'll still have your time with Obi, we could just all use your help and you're smart. You'd have no problem with research. You can help Obi whenever you want or whenever he needs your help."

Noa blushed a little, hating that Bibi saw right through her question. "Okay, I'll head over to Mua's table right now then." And she got up and started over to her. She stopped briefly and turned back to Bibi. "Bibi?"

"Yes?" she responded, looking over her shoulder.

"Thanks." Noa smiled at her.

"You're welcome" Bibi grinned.

Noa walked over to Mua and for the rest of the day, Mua started to teach Noa everything she has learned thus far. Noa struggled a bit on some concepts but she found that she was learning pretty quickly. She thought she might enjoy her new role. She was going to miss her time spent in the ocean with Obi, but she knew she didn't have to give it up completely. And with the two girls researching together, the progress was much quicker.

A month later, Piku celebrated his 14th birthday. Obi cooked another wonderful crab breakfast. Bibi spoke of some of the traditions of the old tribe. They had one hut that was only for lovers. The two youngest giggled at this. She said that she hoped, now that she had Piku's help that once they finished the second hut, the broken hut by the ocean could be this special place. The two could fix it up quite nice. She spoke of births in the tribe. It was tradition for new mothers to nurse their children for the first two years of their lives, and only nurse. This was important to them and their development. After the two years were done, the parents would name their children and the mother would continue her duties. It was the responsibility of the older children to keep young ones busy while those of age worked. The two youngest giggled again but Noa thought this sounded wonderful. She pictured herself walking around the camp, holding a little baby and snuck a glace at Obi. He caught her eye and smiled at her.

As they enjoyed the crab, Coen spoke up. "I think we should make it tradition to have a crab breakfast for every coming of age birthday and every marriage. It's so good!" The others laughed in approval and they all looked at Obi. He grinned and nodded his approval at the suggestion. The tribe now had their own tradition.

After breakfast and clean up, Bibi took Piku over to the unfinished hut and started his training. Excited, he caught on quickly. Much progression was made on the hut that day. Things were looking up for the little tribe.

lol, yes, maybe some feelings are returned, but will he do anything about it?

Here's you next clue!

Chapter Six
The Healer

A few months passed and Noa had turned 17. One day while stopping to grab some food she noticed Obi standing on the edge of the ocean looking at the water. Curious, she walked over to him. As she neared him, she let out a gasp. The ocean was covered in green algae. It was impossible to fish! Obi turned to look at her, with shock and fear on his face. The ocean was their only source of food right now!

Noa stood there for a minute looking back and forth from Obi to the ocean and suddenly it dawned on her.

"Wait here! I think I know what to do!" She turned and ran, leaving Obi looking perplexed. She rushed to the research hut and scrambled inside. She knew what she was looking for, but where was it? At last she saw it, stuck in a corner. She grabbed the skin from the giant coconut they found and rushed back outside to Mua. The two examined the tough skin that caused them so much trouble way back and they came to an agreement. They could use the tough skin as a rope to help them shimmy up the coconut trees! Together, they quickly braided the tough fibers and Noa grabbed the rope and dashed back to Obi. She explained what they had discovered and handed him the rope, hoping he understood. He took the rope, looked at her intently and promptly turned towards the trees. She watched as Obi approached the tree, threw the rope around it and using his strong arms and legs, climbed straight to the top of the tree. A few seconds later a nice big coconut fell and Obi climbed back down. He picked up the coconut and looked at Noa, smiling. She squealed in delight and ran over to him. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him, proud of herself, of Mua, and of Obi. The tribe had made their first major discovery! Before she realized what she had done, she felt Obi's free hand wrap around her waist and felt a soft kiss on the top of her head. She pulled away and looked at him. He smiled at her with his bright smile and intense eyes and nodded towards the camp. She understood. She turned and ran to tell the others what they had just discovered, Obi following with the first coconut. That night, everyone celebrated, but deep down Noa was worried. She knew the coconuts wouldn’t last forever. They would do for now but they either had to find another method of gathering food, or they had to figure out how to clean up the ocean. Or both. She would worry about it tomorrow at the research table.

The next morning Noa awoke to Jem shaking her frantically, crying. "Noa, Noa, Coen's sick! Coen's sick!"

"What?" asked Noa, sitting up.

"Something's wrong with Coen, come quick!" Noa rushed outside with Jem to find Bibi and Obi crouched over Coen, looking grim. He was pale and sweating. He was moaning slightly and clutched his stomach in obvious pain.

"I don't know what's wrong" said Bibi looking distressed. "We had a healer in our village. I never thought of it. I don't know what to do!" Noa looked at Obi. He looked back at her and she knew she was on her own with this one. She looked around the camp for a minute.

"Okay" she said, "here's what were going to do. Bibi, grab a cloth and wet it in the cool lagoon and put in on Coen's forehead. It will help with the fever for now. Mua, bring some water. Obi, take Coen to the broken down hut. It may not be fixed yet, but its better then nothing. Piku, take Jem away, keep her busy. I don't want her to worry and I don't want her sick too. And I'll be right back, I'll meet you at the hut Obi." Obi nodded and easily picked up the boy. Mua and Bibi ran to the stream, following Noa’s orders. Noa took a deep breath and ran over to one of the nearby plants. She examined the plant for minute and realized this wasn't what she needed. She ran to the next plant. Still not right. She kept running to all the plants around the camp, starting to panic. None of these seemed right. She stopped for minute to think and then saw it. Way on the other side of the beach, by the dry grass, was one more plant. She ran as fast as she could. She examined the plant and cried out in relief "This is it! This is it! I know this right!" She grabbed some leaves from the plant and ran back to the broken down hut. Out of breath she handed the plant leaves to Obi. There was no need to explain, he understood what she was trying to do. She stumbled outside while Obi took over and clutched a stitch in her side. She waited anxiously outside with Mua while Bibi helped Obi. Minutes passed, they felt like hours. Mua paced while Noa started to regain her breath. Finally, Bibi and Obi emerged. Bibi started to talk but Noa saw it in Obi's eyes first.

"He's going to be okay" Bibi said. "What ever that was, it worked. His fever is dropping and his pain is slowly going away. He needs to rest, but he'll make it. You saved him Noa. You saved his life!" Noa smiled, relieved, still panting a little. Obi walked over to her and hugged her, kissing her on the top of the head again. Noa's heart skipped a beat. Bibi watched the two intently, happiness in her eyes.

"I think you just became our healer Noa" said Mua, nothing but pride in her voice for her best friend. That night, Obi carried Coen out of the hut to sit by the fire while the tribe celebrated their discovery of medicine. A few days later, Coen was back to normal, playing with Jem, and finding his infamous stones.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 06:01 PM)

#96996 - 09/18/07 06:46 AM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: SaxyT]
SaxyT Offline
Guru

At the urgent request of little artist, I'm whacking you all with a few more chapters tonight. I'm happy you are all enjoying it so far and one of my favorite parts are coming up in the next few chapters so enjoy! There's much more to come, I just wrote chapter 23 and am starting to wind the story down so I'll keep posting as fast as I can. Enjoy!

Chapter Seven
People Acting Strangely

As more months passed, Noa was about to turn 18. She was becoming excited. She would be considered a woman soon. And maybe, Obi might make his intentions clear. She talked excitedly with Mua about this as they spent most of their days at the research table. Noa was still determined to find another method of gathering food. She still helped Obi harvest coconuts at times but he still refused to say anything and just merely smiled at Noa while she worked with him. But to Noa, this was still enduring. It was this mysteriousness about Obi that made her realized she was truly, deeply falling in love with him.

The tribe continued to prosper together, and the new hut was nearly complete. In a matter days Bibi and Piku would finish the hut and start on the broken down hut. Everyone was excited. These advancements together as a tribe were proving to be rewarding for everyone and drew the tribe closer as a family.

One day, while taking a break to eat some food, Noa overheard Bibi and Piku sitting by the lagoon talking. She hadn't meant to overhear, it just happened. She just suddenly heard Piku say "Really, you think we could actually finish the hut in 3 months? That's a tight deadline Bibi. We'll really have to push it!"

"I know Piku, but I really want to have it done it time. It'll be our gift" but Noa heard Mua call her and went to her before she heard Bibi add "a perfect gift to match to Obi's"

Back at the research table, Noa was perplexed. What on earth were they talking about? 3 months, a gift? A hut as a gift? And then it dawned on her. She was turning 18 in 3 months. But to give a hut as a gift, that didn't make sense. She brushed the thought away, thinking she must have misunderstood and returned to her work.

But over the next few weeks everyone started acting strangely. Bibi and Piku were working harder and faster than Noa had ever seen. Mua couldn't seem to make eye contact with her. And Obi seemed to be taking more frequent breaks than usual, swimming in the lagoon and diving deep down for minutes at a time. He would resurface and then disappear into his and Bibi's new hut for a while then go back to work like nothing happened. And the little ones, Coen and Jem, were bringing fewer treasures to Mua and Noa. They seemed to be taking them to Obi's hut.

Noa tried not to notice. The fact that everyone seemed to have a secret was bothering her. Maybe she was just playing tricks on herself, she thought one day. She was probably imagining things. But as her 18th birthday drew nearer, everyone just started acting stranger.

Coen however, now 12 and soon to be of age, was starting to spend more time with Noa and Mua. He was showing interest in science and research and hoped to work with them in 2 years. Whenever Jem was keeping herself busy, catching butterflies, Coen would sit by the research table and watch the girls. Taking in everything he could and learning as much as possible without actually working. Noa was amused by this and would sit and talk with Coen by the lagoon for hours, encouraging his interest and helping him along.

Chapter Eight
A Woman Emerges

The day before her 18th birthday, Noa started to worry. She had not seen Obi all day, except at breakfast. He disappeared into his hut after breakfast and as far as Noa could tell, never came out. In the afternoon, Noa approached Bibi and stopped her.

"Is he alright?" she asked Bibi, "Should I go and check on him? I know how to heal him".

"Who?", Bibi asked, truly confused.

"Obi! He hasn't come out all day, he must be sick!"

Bibi laughed, understanding finally. "Oh, no. He's not sick. He's just taking the day off. He had something to do today."

"Oh, well, that makes sense then." Noa said turning back towards the research table and thoroughly not understanding. She was so distracted that by the end of day, she didn't even notice that Bibi and Piku had nearly completed the hut. Feeling exhausted, she ate dinner in silence, noticing the absence of Obi. As she wondered if she should take him some dinner and check on him, she noticed Bibi get up and take a plate of food over to the hut. She emerged a few minutes later and Noa felt resentment. She really wanted to see Obi. Sad, she went to bed early that night and had a fitful sleep.

When she awoke the next morning, she found herself alone in the hut. She was groggy from her bad sleep and not feeling much better. She stepped outside the hut and her mood changed immediately. Everyone was by the fire, waiting for her. Apparently, everyone had awoken early to prepare her birthday breakfast, including Obi, who was smiling from the back at her. She didn't need to see the fire, she could smell it from the hut.

"Where did you get crab from? We haven't been able to fish for ages!" She exclaimed.

"Obi saved the last few especially for this day" Bibi explained. "Once we realized we couldn't fish, Obi took them from the storage bin, just in case we still couldn't fish by this special day. He was up early to cook them."

"And you finished the hut!" shrieked Noa, noticing for the first time.

"Yup, up at dawn working on it. We were afraid the banging might wake you but you were out cold." Said Piku.

"Everyone, this is wonderful! You really shouldn't have!"

"Oh yes we should have!" said Mua stepping forward to hug her friend. "Today you become a woman, it's a special day. And just look at everything you've done here for all of us! You learned to fish when we were starving. You figured out how to get the coconuts when we couldn't fish. You learned medicine to save Coen. Should I go on?" Noa beamed and looked at her friends, her family. She knew it was going to be a great day.

And now... the Creme de la Creme!

Chapter Nine
The Surprise

Mua took Noa's hand and led her to the fire for her breakfast. Noa was shocked to see the food. There was the succulent crab, fresh coconuts, even berries and fruits that the children found in the forest. Everyone pitched in for the best breakfast their little tribe had ever seen.

"If I may have a word before we eat"

Noa stopped and looked around. The voice was unfamiliar; she had never heard it before. Where did it come from? And then she saw Obi emerge from the small crowd and approach her.

"Did... did you say something?" she asked him.

"I asked if I may have a word before we eat". His voice was deep and smooth and it sent shivers down Noa's spine.

"You spoke!" she gasped.

"Yes, of course" he said laughing.

"But you never talk!"

"I like to mean what I say and choose my words carefully. And, well, between my chatty sister," he glanced at Bibi who blushed, "and your wonderful stories, there was never really any need to talk, was there? Until now." Noa's heart leaped into her throat and she forgot how to breathe. "I've been waiting three years to ask you this. I wanted to wait until you were 18 but simply can't wait another day more. In my old tribe, when two people were in love, the man would give the woman a gift. This gift would act as a symbol of love and eternal union. It would be a means to propose. To propose marriage."

"Yes?" Noa squeaked.

"So," Obi continued, reaching into his pocket "This is my gift to you." And he pulled out of his pocket the most beautiful necklace that Noa had ever seen. It shimmered in the sun. It was made of colorful carved stones, seashells, and what appeared to be jewels. "They are sea stones, from the very bottom of the lagoon" he explained.

"You made this?" Obi nodded. "That's what you were doing yesterday?"

"I've been working on it for many months. I wanted to ensure it was ready in time for today. Jem and Coen helped collect the shells and stones." He knelt down. "Noa," she shivered when he spoke her name, "I have loved you know for many years and I can tell from your eyes that you love me as well. I would like to ask you, in front of all of our friends, if you would be my wife." Noa opened her mouth to reply but no sound came out.

"You're turning blue Noa" laughed Mua "you may want to breathe before you respond!"

Noa found her breathe and threw her arms around Obi "Yes! Yes! Of course I will!" Obi leaned forward and kissed her for the first time. It was a beautiful, passionate, loving kiss. Noa's knees gave out but she didn't care. She knew that in Obi's arms, she could never fall. The tribe cheered and clapped and Noa had completely forgotten they were still there. Obi pulled back but kept his arms around her.

"And the rest of us have a gift for both of you!" said Piku excited. They all parted to give Noa and Obi a clear view of the newly rebuilt hut by the sea.

"I don't understand." Noa said.

"The hut is for the two of you. If you are going to be married, I'm sure you would like a little privacy. It only seemed right to follow tradition of Bibi and Obi's old tribe and give couples their own hut. Besides, after 18 years, you must be sick of sharing a hut with me!" he jeered.

"Are you serious? You're giving us the hut!" she exclaimed. And as she took a good look at the hut, she realized that they had all gone too great lengths to make it special. It was a beautiful hut, decorated in flowers and shells. Noa kissed Obi again and then rushed to hug the rest of the tribe and thank them. Every sat down to enjoy the wonderful breakfast and Bibi said that it seemed only fair that everyone had the day off.

Noa and Obi spent the day together, relaxing, talking and truly getting to know each other. She found out that unlike elaborate weddings back at home, on the island, weddings were small and intimate. A simple ceremony, where a loved one and a witness united two people forever. Noa suddenly became sad. She hadn't thought about home or her family in so long. And now, she was going to be married and her parents wouldn't be here. Obi asked what was wrong, sensing her sudden change in mood. Noa hesitated. She had not told anyone on this island about her sudden appearance. They thought all her tales of electronics and inventions were made up stories. But Obi was the love of her life, surely he would understand. She poured out her heart to him and he listened with nothing but love in his eyes. When she finished, she looked at him, scared of his response.

"Well," he said "it's quite possible really! If you had truly wished to be somewhere else, and wished it with all your heart, maybe you did go somewhere else!"

"You believe me?"

"Of course I do, I love you! That doesn't mean that that's really what happened but I believe that you believe it and that all that matters. Besides, you're here now and we have found each other. I wished to find the woman of my dreams and before I knew it, I fell down and waterfall with my sister and there you were!" With his arm around her, she leaned into him a cried. Cried from relief of finally telling someone her thoughts, her fears, and not being judged. He held her tight and they sat in silence for a long time.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 06:38 PM)

#166425 - 08/01/08 06:40 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: SaxyT]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
LadyCFII's Note: To keep each post from being too large, I'm posting the rest of SaxyT's story in consecutive posts from here to the end. The chapters and author comments, of course, were all written by SaxyT.

======================================================================

Thank you all for the kind words. I originally started to write this for myself. I've been so stressed out lately and my dear forum friend, Krystal, advised that it might be a good outlet to relieve stress. I found that in releasing my stress and tension, I started to pour my heart and soul into the story. Writing for hours and a time and not even realizing what I was typing. Now that you have all said such nice things, and have been so encouraging, I feel so much better writing this. I'm no longer writing this just for myself, this is for all of you too.

So, with that said, here is some more for you.

Chapter Ten
The Wedding

The next week, the whole tribe was running around, each with an important task. Obi and Noa's wedding would be in a few days and there was still a lot to do. Piku started helping Obi fetch coconuts so there would be plenty for the celebration. Bibi helped Noa sew a new dress while Mua doubled up on the research to cover Noa. And Coen and Jem were busy picking flowers for Noa's hair. Bibi was always keeping the hut by the ocean clean and tidy. Since Obi and Noa were not yet married, they had not moved into the hut yet. Noa was most excited about this. As the day drew near, Noa started to feel nervous. Not in a bad way, more of an excitement. She couldn’t believe she was going to be married. She wanted someone to walk her towards Obi on the wedding day, just like a father would back at home. She asked Obi what he thought about and he smiled and nodded. He had gone back to not saying much, but Noa didn't mind. She knew that it simply meant that when he did speak, it would be important and special.

She had thought a lot about it over the past week and after lunch, called for Piku and Mua.

"I was wondering if you two would help me with something" she asked them.

"Sure, anything!" they both replied at the same time. They looked at each other and smiled. Noa, seeing the look, smiled to herself. Mua would be 18 soon and shortly afterwards Piku would turn 18. Maybe another wedding would happen soon.

"Well, we need a witness, and, Mua, I was hoping, as my best friend, as my sister now after all these years, that you would be our witness."

"Of course I will! I'd be honored." and she hugged her friend tightly.

"And Piku, well, I really want someone to walk me towards Obi. To sort of, give me away to him before Bibi performs the ceremony. I was hoping, as my friend, and the next eldest male, you would do the honors?" She asked nervous, not knowing what they would think of this request. Piku thought about this for a moment and then a big smile broke across his face. He stepped towards Noa, hugged her and kissed her cheek.

"I would love to!" he said, then snuck a look at Mua and went back to work. Mua blushed. "He's really sweet isn't he?" she asked Noa. Noa smiled and nodded and walked her friend back to the research table.

On the day of the wedding, Noa was a tumble of butterflies. She was beyond excited and little Jem, jumping around energetically, was only adding to Noa's excitement. Mua brought breakfast to Noa in the hut and sat and ate with her. Noa didn't want Obi to see her before the ceremony. After the two friends ate, Mua helped Noa dress in her new dress and put flowers in her hair. Bibi kept the others busy, cleaning up and preparing for the ceremony. Obi disappeared into the woods. He came back with a large bouquet of flowers, a gift for Noa. When everything was ready, Piku came to tell Noa and Mua. Mua left to assume her position for the ceremony. Piku left briefly and returned with Obi's bouquet.

"Obi picked these for you this morning. He wanted you to be able to hold them during the ceremony." Noa looked at the beautiful bouquet and tears welled up in her eyes. Piku chuckled, "Now, now, don't start crying. You know Noa, I really think of you as a sister, I always have, and love you dearly. I have grown to really like Obi. He is a wonderful guy and I couldn't be happier for the two of you" Noa cried harder and hugged Piku.

"Thanks" she managed to say through breaths.

"We should get out there" he said, wiping her tears from her face. "You look beautiful" Noa smiled back and turned to follow him out of the hut.

The ceremony was beautiful and flawless , except for Mua crying through the whole thing. But Noa knew they were tears of happiness. After the ceremony and the feast Noa and Obi went to see their new hut. Bibi explained to Jem and Coen that Noa and Obi needed time to 'talk' now that they were married and were not to be disturbed. Coen was old enough to know better but Jem just nodded and ran to play. Noa and Obi spent the rest of the day in their new hut.

#166427 - 08/01/08 06:42 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter Eleven
The Gift

Weeks passed and everything had returned to normal. Noa and Obi worked during the day and retired to their hut at night. One day, Obi walked up to Noa and Mua at the research table, a sad look on his face.

"What's the matter Obi?" asked Noa. He nodded towards the coconut trees and Noa followed him. She gasped as they drew near. The coconuts were almost gone! "Okay" she said turning to Obi, "Don't panic, just let me think a minute." She turned and ran back to Mua, telling her what she saw. Mua smiled. "What are you smiling for?" Noa hissed, "We're almost out of food and we still haven't figured out how to clean up the ocean!"

"Come with me, I want to show you something." Mua said calmly and Noa followed her towards the lagoon.

"You see this dirt here?" Mua said, "I think we could plant vegetables here. We just need to get more water onto it. More than we can carry. But, look at this." She moved towards the narrow part of the lagoon. "I was thinking, if we could get Piku and Bibi to block this off with something, the water will flow to the dirt patch instead. What do you think?" Noa stared at her.

"Mua, you're a genius! I think it might work! When did you figure this out?"

"A few days ago, but I was trying to sort out a few more things before I told you."

"Brilliant Mua, absolutely brilliant" Noa said with pride. "Quick, you go talk to Piku and get them working. I'll go tell Obi. He'll need to start figuring out how to plant crops" She hugged her friend and ran back to Obi.

"Mua figured it out, it's all going to be fine! Piku and Bibi are going to... are going to..." but she couldn't finish. A strange feeling fell over her. She was going to be sick! She ran to the nearby bushes, not wanting Obi to see her and heaved. Obi followed and put a hand on her back. He looked at her with concern.

"Obi" she said after she minute, regaining her composure. "I think... I think I might be pregnant!" A slow smile formed on Obi's face. He jumped up and hugged her, hugged her so hard he lifted her off the ground. He set her down and kissed her. "I take it you're happy then! It's a good gift to give you!" Noa laughed. Obi picked her up and carried her to Mua and Bibi to check her out. After the two women checked her over in the hut, it was confirmed. Noa was pregnant!

#166428 - 08/01/08 06:46 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

And the story continues...

Chapter Twelve
The Baby

Eight months later, Noa and Mua, now 18, were working at the research table training Coen, now 14, Bibi and Piku on science and research. The dam was finished and the crops were thriving. With Noa about to give birth and take leave to nurse the baby, Bibi and Piku thought it would be best to help with research for a while, until they figured out what their next construction project would be.

Obi was busy working the crops when suddenly, Noa was bent over in pain.

"Ooh!" she cried, "Ooh, it hurts!"

"What's wrong?" asked Piku, concerned. Mua and Bibi looked at each other and shouted together, "She's in labor!" Obi heard the girls cry out and ran over to Noa. He picked her up and carried her to the hut. Mua and Bibi followed. After shooing Obi out of the hut, ensuring they would take good care of Noa, he joined Piku outside the hut and paced. Every scream, every shout, Obi went to rush into the hut but Piku stopped him, "She's fine, really. The girls will take care of her, just let them work!"

Hours later, Noa's cries of pain suddenly stopped. Obi froze and looked at the hut, terrified. Piku put his arm over his friends' shoulder and together, they waited and listened. And then they heard it. A cry. But not Noa's cries. A tiny, small, strangled cry. Bibi ran out of the hut and hugged her brother, tears streaming down her face.

"It's a boy! And he's perfect! I'm an aunt! You're a father!" And she hugged Obi again. "Go and see your son" she said pulling away.

In the hut, Obi went over to Noa, who was holding their son. He was a beautiful boy, with a shock of dark red hair. "He looks just like you." Bibi said to Obi. "Well, you before your hair turned silver that is!" she added laughing. Obi picked up his son and stared at him. He was sleeping, and gorgeous, and perfect all at the same time. He look down at Noa and kissed her. When he lifted his head, a big tear was falling down his cheek. Noa smiled and nodded.

Over the next few weeks, Noa nursed their little boy. She wanted so badly to name him, to give him his personality, but was constantly reminded by Bibi that she needed to wait. While sitting by the lagoon one day, bathing her baby, Mua approached her.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked Noa.

"Sure, what is it?" Noa replied.

"Well, I was wondering if you would be my witness?"

"Witness for what?" Noa said distractedly. But then it dawned on her. "No, really? But Piku's not 18 yet, not for a few more months!"

"I know, we're going to wait for the ceremony until he turns 18, but he couldn't wait to ask me!" Mua said, smiling. "And Piku is going to ask Obi to give me away for me". Noa set the baby down carefully and turned to hug her friend.

"Of course I will! How could I possibly say no!"

#166429 - 08/01/08 06:46 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 13
Another Wedding

A year had passed and Piku and Mua's wedding day was approaching fast. One morning, while Noa and Obi were sleeping, Piku came running to the hut, pounding on the door.

"Obi! Obi! Get up quick! Come quick!"

Obi threw on his clothes ran out of the hut, Noa following with the baby. They ran to the crops and Noa's heart sank as she found that the crops were destroyed. They were mangled, and bitten and almost all gone.

"It was the birds" said Piku grimly. "The birds ate the crops. We have no food! There are barely any coconuts left! What are we going to do?"

But this time it was Obi who saved the day. He put up a hand to quiet the crowd and putting a hand on Piku's shoulder, pulled him towards some twisted vines on the north side of the camp. Obi picked up the vines and walked back towards the crops. Piku, not knowing what to think, followed Obi's directions. Obi took the vines and started twisting and working the vines. Quickly, a figure became obvious. He twisted more vines and then went to grab some dry grass. When he returned, he used the remainder of the vines to tie the grass into a skirt. He then removed his shirt and placed it over the figure and stood back. Everyone looked for a minute and then all started laughing. Obi had created a mix between the ugliest and cutest scarecrow any of them had ever seen. But it was a scarecrow nonetheless and would keep the birds away. Noa walked over to her husband and kiss him deeply. "Brilliant" she said, "you just saved our crops". That night, the whole tribe celebrated. The crops had been replanted and would be ready to harvest soon and with a wedding in a few days, everyone was happy.

Mua and Piku's wedding proved to be just as beautiful as Obi and Noa's. A perfect day, another happy couple. Bibi agreed to move into the research hut with Coen and Jem and gave the second hut to Piku and Mua. The two disappeared into the hut. Noa caught Obi's eye and they smiled at each other, remembering their own wedding night. Their little boy would be weaned soon and they both couldn't wait to have another baby. After everyone cleaned up from the wedding, Obi went over to Noa and put his arms around her. He kissed her passionately, deeply. Her knees weakened and she let herself fall deeper into his strong grasp. She was taken back to her 18th birthday and the first time Obi kissed her. She steadied herself and her grip on their son and looked into Obi's eyes. She understood his look and discreetly followed him back to their hut.

#166430 - 08/01/08 06:47 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 14
The Little One Named

A month had passed and it was time to name Noa and Obi's son. Everyone gathered for the event. Noa was excited, she had been thinking of names for two years. But when she went to say the name, none came to her. She looked up at her husband, asking for help. He smiled and said one word, "Ahi". And so Ahi was named.

The next day, Obi was eating lunch with Noa, watching Ahi play around the camp. Noa had been feeling off for a week, but this time, she didn't need Bibi or Mua to confirm.

"Obi" she said looking at him. He looked back. "It's happened again Obi." He looked confused. She patted her belly. Noa laughed as she saw the light bulb turn on in his eyes. Obi leaped up and grabbed her and jumped around. "We did it! We're pregnant again" He yelled as loud as he could. Noa laughed harder and kissed her husband.

Piku and Mua turned from the research table to look at their friends. Piku put an arm around his wife. "He doesn't say much" he said, "but when he does, it's really special." Mua gave a small smile and Piku noticed her look. "Don't worry" he said hugging her. "It will happen for us, it's just not our time yet." Mua looked at him, unsure, but she smiled a little wider. "Go congratulate her, she's practically your sister, Mua, you should be happy for her. She will be for you when it's our time" Mua nodded, tears threatening her eyes. She took a deep breath and went to hug Noa. Piku followed and hugged Obi.

Almost nine months later, Noa gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. With purple hair and her fathers bright smile, she was the pride of the whole tribe. Two years later, it came time to name her. Again, put on the spot, Noa blanked. Obi was prepared. "Tarita" was all he said.

One night shortly after, while in bed, Noa looked at Obi. "Obi, where did you come up with Ahi and Tarita's names?" she asked.

"They are the names of my mother and my father." He said simply. Noa suddenly looked sad, but Obi was happy. "They would have loved to have seen them. They would have loved you."

"Do you miss them?"

"Of course I do. But I'm not saddened by it. I celebrate them in my heart."

"Do you think they're still alive?"

"I'm sure they are Noa. They were quite young when they had Bibi and I, much like ourselves. But I'm not sure I'll ever see them again." He studied his wife's face. "And I know your parents miss you, and love you too. Don't be sad for them. Celebrate them. They are here with you, right here" and he touched his wife's chest, right where her heart was. Noa smiled, a tear on her cheek.

"How come you never told me before those were the names of your parents? How come Bibi never said anything?"

Obi smiled wider. "Bibi thought it was best that I told you and well, you simply never asked before". Noa laughed and smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry" she said, "I should have asked you sooner."

"Don't be sorry" he said and drew Noa close to him. "I knew you would ask when you were ready to."

#166431 - 08/01/08 06:47 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Phew, marathon posting!

Chapter 15
More Suprises

A few days later, with Noa back at work, her and Mua took a break to cool their feet in the stream.

"I have something to tell you" said Mua.

"What's that?" asked Noa

"I think I'm pregnant." Noa looked at her friend.

"Really? Are you sure?" she asked getting excited.

"Yes, I'm sure. I haven't told Piku yet, I wanted to tell you first." Noa jumped up and hugged Mua.

"Mua, this is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you! And even better! I'm pregnant again too!" Mua hugged her friend back.

"We're going to be pregnant together? Oh, those poor men of ours, how will they ever cope?" The two laughed and cried and then decided it was time to tell their husbands the good news.

Nine months later, Mua went into labor. It was a hard delivery and a long one. Noa and Bibi helped her through while Obi waited outside with Piku, this time, the men's roles were reversed. Hours passed and suddenly Noa appeared to deliver the news. But, as she went to speak, her face suddenly paled and she doubled over in pain. "Oh no, not you too, not two in one day! You're not due just yet!" cried Piku.

"Must have been the excitement" gasped Noa, in obvious pain. Obi picked up Noa and carried her to their hut while Piku went to see his wife and tell Bibi that Noa was also in labor.

That day, both women gave birth. And two beautiful little girls joined the growing tribe. For two years, the best friends enjoyed their time nursing the children and watching Ahi and Tarita catch bugs. Jem was now of age and joined the ever growing fleet of researchers in the tribe. Obi remained the current sole provider of food and loved his job. He could be seen on occasion straightening the shirt or fixing the skirt of his beloved scarecrow. Piku and Obi often stopped their work to watch the two women with love and pride in their eyes. Noa found herself thinking about home more lately, but she wasn't sad anymore when she thought of her parents. She thought about how they would be so proud of her. She had found a wonderful husband, she was a mother, a scientist, a healer, and farmer. She had grown and matured. She no longer wondered how she would ever get home. She missed her parents, but she was home. Her life was here, with Obi and their children and the tribe.

#166432 - 08/01/08 06:48 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Halfway there everyone!

Chapter 16
The Mice

A few days later everyone gathered for the naming of the two girls. Mua and Piku had decided on Aida for their daughter. This time around, Noa didn't even try to speak, she simply looked at Obi expectantly. "Tiki" he said softly. Noa looked up in shock. "After your mother" he added to Noa. The two girls became the best of friends very quickly. Aida had long black hair just like her mother and Tiki had thick brown hair.

"All of your children come out with completely different hair colors" Bibi joked to Noa one day. "And none of them blond like you! Are you sure they are all Obi's?"

Noa laughed, "Of course they are. And they're beautiful. My mother's hair was purple and my father's was brown. I couldn't let all of our children look like Obi now could I?" The two laughed some more.

"Bibi?"

"Yes, Noa"

"Do you ever feel lonely? I mean, I have Obi, Mua had Piku, there's no one for you?"

Bibi smiled a sincere smile "Noa, you are all my children as far as I'm concerned and your children are my children. I'm the mother here, for everyone. That's my role. Sure, I get a little lonely at times, but I don’t mind, really. Hey, maybe someday my prince charming will just walk onto the beach. But if not, I'm perfectly happy with the family I have now. Who needs a husband when I have all of you?" Noa smiled and hugged Bibi. She realized for the first time that Bibi really was like a mother to her, and a friend.

Later, Coen was walking on the beach when he noticed a small, thick canvas sack that had washed on shore. Excited, Coen gently opened the sack and was astonished to find a few handfuls of starving, frightened mice writhing around in the sack. One of the mice bit Coen hard on the arm and he dropped the sack from the shock. The mice rushed out and ran straight into Ahi and Tarita who were coming to see what Coen had found. The mice bit both of them in defense and scurried away. Tarita screamed and Obi, hearing his daughter's cry came rushing forward, Piku close behind.

It didn't take long for the men to figure out what happened as they watched Coen stagger over, holding his arm, and then fall forward in a dead faint. Ahi and Tarita became silent and then promptly passed out. Piku looked around and saw the mice around the food bin. Calling for Noa, he grabbed a stick and went after the mice. Noa came running to Obi's side but just a few feet away, stepped on the tail of an unseen mouse which reared up and bit her. She paused for a moment then looked in her husbands eyes and she fell over.

Obi hollered for Mua and Bibi. The two came running, brandishing their own sticks for protection. They had learned much watching Noa heal and assisting in 5 births. The two worked quickly, with Obi's help to get everyone safely into the huts with the two remaining children while Piku fought off the mice outside with the help of Jem. Once the mice were gone, Jem ran to the hut and dove to Coen's side. She threw her arms around him and started crying, "Is he going to be alright? Are the others?"

"They'll be okay now, Jem" said Mua. "We've dressed the wounds and applied an ointment. They need some rest but all four should recover quickly.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" Jem cried into Coen's chest. Obi, Piku, Mua and Bibi looked at each other in surprise.

"I think we might have another wedding soon" whispered Piku into Obi's ear. Obi smiled and nodded and went to comfort Noa.

#166433 - 08/01/08 06:48 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 17
Coen Goes Deaf

A week later Coen, Noa, Ahi and Tarita emerged from the hut. They were healed, but the bites had caused some scars on each of them. Mua and Bibi were quick to help them that day, but not being as experienced as Noa in healing, they couldn't prevent scarring. Coen looked at these as battle scars but still felt guilty for causing harm to the others. During their rest, Noa kept assuring him that it wasn't his fault but Coen was worried about the little ones, and so was Noa. She knew deep down, that Obi would love her, scars and all, but she worried about her children growing up with the scars. Obi kept telling her not to worry, that they would be fine and being young, would probably grow out of them. This helped Noa's worries but not completely.

As Noa looked around, drinking in the sun she hadn't seen for a week, she noticed that Piku had started building a new hut. "Why are you doing that?" she asked him.

"Oh, I just have a feeling we might need a new hut soon" he grinned. "Our family just keeps growing!"

"And you're building it by yourself?"

"We need Bibi researching. Besides, she's already mastered carpentry, let her master science for a while".

Noa went to check on the other children. Everyone was growing so fast it seemed. Ahi was already nine, Tarita was now 5 and Jem had just had her 18th birthday. With Coen 23 now, Noa was almost starting to feel old at 29. She had been on this island for almost half her life. Obi suddenly came up behind her and spun her around, kissing her. "I'm glad to be back too" she chuckled to him when he pulled away. It felt good to be back at the research table. While she had been in bed, she had been trying to think of more ways to clean the ocean. She knew they couldn't live off of crops forever, they needed meat. And she missed fishing with Obi. It was while fishing that she fell in love with him and longed to return. Focused on her work, she suddenly heard a blood curdling scream coming from the lagoon. Panicked, she whirled around to see what had happened and found Jem bounding towards her and Mua and Bibi and Coen following slowly shaking his head and rubbing his ears. He stopped by Obi and Piku but Jem continued and nearly knocked the three women over with her hugs and screamed again.

"What is the matter?" said Bibi exasperated.

"He did it! He proposed!" screamed Jem and stuck out her wrist to reveal a bracelet. It looked similar to the necklaces that Noa and Mua wore everyday. It was obvious who was teaching the men to make these pieces of jewelry, but to Noa, hers would always be the prettiest.

"Okay, we're happy for you but can you keep in down a bit. You don't want us deaf for the wedding do you?" laughed Bibi hugging Jem.

"Are you sure about this?" Piku teased, nudging Coen.

"Okay, so I'll probably be deaf by the age of 30 with her, but I can't help, I love her. I want to do this." Coen grinned.

"I figured, that's why I started the new hut."

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" asked Coen, turning to Piku, still rubbing his ears. Piku and Obi laughed and hugged the young man. "Nevermind, Coen, nevermind."

#166434 - 08/01/08 06:49 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 18
The Family Grows

"Hey, check this out!" called Noa one day to the research table. Mua rushed over.

"What is it?"

"Look at these stones, I bet if we attach them to these strong vines, we could make some knives!"

"Hey, You're right! That could work! Come on, let's put these together!"

"Oy!" Mua and Noa turned to look and found Coen striding over to the fire, a black object in his hand. "Check this out!" The girls dropped their supplies off at the table and went to look.

"It's a cauldron! Coen, where did you find it?" shrieked Noa.

"By the firewood. I went to add some wood to the fire and it was just shining in the sun."

"Coen, you brilliant man, you. Do realize what this means? It will be so much easier to cook now! We can use the cauldron to cook. And I can make better medicine now! And soup! I can cook you all soup!" Noa continued, completely excited. "I know! I'll cook big batch of soup for your wedding! I have a few days to make enough, I can do it." And she rushed off to the lagoon to clean the pot.

"Gee, think she's excited?" asked Coen, stunned.

"Come on" laughed Mua "I need your help with something. It'll help Noa with the soup." and the two went off to finish the knives.

A few days later, Jem was a flutter with excitement. It was her wedding day and Piku was putting the finishing touches on the new hut while everyone else got ready for the ceremony and celebration. Noa was rushing to heat up all of her soup. Obi was gathering some coconuts. Bibi was setting up and Mua was helping Jem get ready. The tribe celebrated their third wedding.

"Noa, this soup is great!" said Piku during the celebration.

"Thanks, I learned from my mother" said Noa sensing her mother's pride in her heart.

A few weeks later, Obi, Piku and Coen found their wives acting strangely.

"What do you think is up with them?" asked Coen. "It's like they've gone crazy. They're giggling, they're distracted, and they're just plain weird right now!"

"I have no idea." Said Piku, just as confused as his friend. "Obi, any ideas?" Obi smiled, crossed his arms and looked at the other two. "What?" said Piku. Obi smiled wider, threw up his arms to say 'Never mind' and went back to work, leaving the other two stunned. "You think he actually knows?" Coen shrugged in response.

The next day, everyone was enjoying breakfast when Jem, Mua and Noa all suddenly stood up.

"What's up?" asked Coen.

The three girls took a deep breath and all at once said "We're pregnant!"

Obi grinned, Piku fell to his knees and Coen dropped in a dead faint. Piku looked up at Obi from the ground, "You knew, didn't you?" Obi nodded. "How?" Obi looked down at him eyebrows raised. "Right," mumbled Piku. "Number four for you. Keep this up Obi and I'll never catch up." Obi chuckled then went to kiss his wife. Piku followed behind him and went to Mua, beaming. Jem ran to Coen, who had still not woken. "Think it was too much?" she asked checking out her husband.

"No" said Bibi "Three pregnant women at one time, how could that possibly be too much for one guy?" sarcasm dripping from her words. Jem chuckled then got up to get some water for Coen.

#166435 - 08/01/08 06:50 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

This chapter is a tribute to all the fathers out there. Yes, I do know what we put you through!

Chapter 19
Triple Threat

Noa, Mua and Jem loved being pregnant together. They relaxed together, spoke excitedly and played around. All three pregnancies were going along perfectly.

"This pregnancy is so much tougher than the last one." Said Piku one day to Obi and Coen. Coen looked like he hadn't slept in days. Obi, as always, looked calm, collected and happy. "How do you do it Obi? How do you put up with it?" Obi laughed and walked back towards the fields. Piku glared at him.

"Doesn't he remember what it was like the first time Noa was pregnant?" Coen muttered.

"He was the same way the first time around. The only time he looked out of sorts during any of the pregnancies was during the deliveries. I wish I knew his secret".

"It's just not fair. I can't sleep at night because Jem is uncomfortable. I can't go and relax because her back hurts, or her feet are sore. And the worst thing is she's as sweet as always. She asks so nicely and then I can't say no! I just want some sleep..." he trailed off, exhausted.

"Any day now, Coen, just hang in there. It's better once they're born, really" Coen looked up at his friend but was just too tired to smile. He shuffled back to the research table and promptly dropped his head down, fast asleep. Piku chuckled and went back to work.

"What are you looking at Obi?" Noa asked of her husband one day when she found him staring into the lagoon. He looked at her then looked down again. "Obi? Is something down there?" and instead of answering, Obi dove into the lagoon and swam straight down. Within seconds, Noa lost sight of him.

"Obi? Obi!" she started to panic. She couldn't see him anywhere. A minute passed and he didn't surface. "Obi! Obi!" she hollered, completely frightened.

"What is it Noa?" came Coen who was nearby. "What's wrong?"

"It's Obi. He dove into the lagoon but it's been over a minute and I can't see him! I think something happened! Help him!!" she was crying now, sure she had just lost her husband. Coen froze for a second then started to kick off his shoes. Just as he meant to dive in, Obi's head popped to the surface. "Obi!" shrieked Noa. Obi coughed hard and Coen jumped in to help support him. He noticed something under Obi's arm. Helping his friend out of the pool, Noa jumped into Obi's arms, causing him to drop the object. "I thought I lost you." She cried. He hugged her reassuringly. "Don't ever do that again!" she yelled and punched his chest.

"Woah, Noa!" laughed Coen pulling her back. "Don't kill the man! Obi, what is that?"

Obi shrugged, "Saw it at the bottom" he said, catching his breath "years ago when I was hunting for sea stones for Noa's necklace. It was too deep but it looked important. Today, I felt like I could make it, so I went for it."

"You idiot!" screamed Noa, still restrained by Coen "I'm about to give birth any day and you thought you might just go for a swim and nearly kill yourself for a broken piece of metal! What would I do without you? What would our kids do?" and she broke Coen's grip and started pounding her husbands chest again. Obi smiled down at her, falling in love with her all over again and she continued to hit him. Coen started laughing and picked up the metal piece. Taking it to the research hut, he continued to laugh hearing Noa's fading shouts and knowing that through her fists, Obi was only smiling and not even flinching.

"COEN!!!!" he heard Jem yell from behind him. He dropped the piece of metal and ran to her. "Coen, it's time, it's time!"

"Girls?" Coen called, his voice getting higher as he said the word. "Girls? I need some help!" Noa forgot about her anger at Obi and started to run, or rather waddle, towards Jem and Coen. Obi broke into a full run and promptly picked up Jem to take her inside the hut.

"Mua, Bibi?" Noa called as she tried to run "It's time, Jem needs us." She slowed down when she didn't hear a response and turned to see Piku carrying Mua to their hut, Bibi running in their wake. "Oh no!" she said quietly. "Not both of them at the same time". Obi emerged from Jem's hut and looked at his wife. "Mua's in labor too. Bibi's with her." Obi's face fell a little and Jem screamed from the hut, followed by a strangled cry from Coen. "Quick, Obi, take me to Jem. She needs my help!" Obi ran over and lifted her with ease. He started to take her to Jem when he stopped suddenly and looked down. He looked at his wife and then at the pool of water at his feet. "Oh no" the two said together and he changed directions to take her to their own hut.

For hours upon hours, Bibi ran from hut to hut checking on each woman. "All three at once, seriously" she muttered as she ran, looking ragged. This time, the men were forced to help in the births as Bibi simply didn't have three sets of arms. "This is madness" she cried out as she left Mua's hut and ran to Jem's.

Not long after, a little tiny black haired girl was born to Piku and Mua. Bibi ran to check on Noa as Coen stepped out and yelled "It's a girl! I delivered my little girl!" and then he fainted.

"That boy has the stomach of an ogre I tell you. Faints over anything!" breathed Bibi and she rushed to help him up. She checked on Jem who was holding a beautiful brown haired girl that looked just like her mother.

Back at Noa and Obi's hut the two were admiring their second son who was the twin of his father, including the silver hair. "He's so handsome" smiled Noa "just like his father." Obi smiled, tears in his eyes. Noa broke down, "I'm so sorry I yelled at you. I was just so scared. I didn't mean to hit you" Obi stopped her by putting a finger to her lips. He kissed her and said, "I deserved it."

#166436 - 08/01/08 06:51 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

*Sigh* We been attacked by the evil rating monster and our five star rating has fallen. I'm just going to have to make sure that the next chapters are even better than before and bring that rating right back up!

Here's the next chapter for all of you!

Chapter 20
The Fish are Found

Two years later, the tribe was thriving. 14 strong now and happy. Piku had taken to chopping and the thorny bushes with the knives Mua had created. He wasn't sure why, he just felt that he needed to do this. Only Noa and Obi were worried. They knew that the crops would sustain them much longer. The tribe was growing too fast. Noa had to figure out how to save their fish. Mua and Piku had named their daughter Aika. Jem and Coen loved their daughter, Hawa, and when left the decision again on their child's name, Obi made the perfect choice of Aiko, after Noa's father.

One day, Obi and Noa were sitting on the edge of the lagoon, thinking about their options while Obi waited for the crops to rise. Noa suddenly jumped in the pool and disappeared. Obi jumped up, unsure what to do. He couldn't see Noa. He jumped in the lagoon after her and swam down to find her struggling with a fish. She looked distressed, like she was running out of air. Obi reacted quickly. He grabbed the small knife that Mua had made for each of the men and stabbed hard at the fish, catching it in it's tail. As it wrestled with knife, Obi reached for his wife and put his lips to hers, putting more air into her lungs, and then pulled her and the fish to the surface.

Climbing out of the lagoon together, Noa gasped "Don't kill it! Don't kill the fish!" Obi, confused, removed the knife and examined the fish. He had never seen a fish like this before. "It's okay." He breathed, "just a surface cut, it will heal".

"Ocean!" she gasped, but Obi had turned his attention back to her, checking her for injuries. "No!" she cried, "take it to the ocean! Quick!" Startled, Obi obeyed. He rushed the fish to the ocean as Noa stumbled behind him, still out of breath. He let the fish go and was amazed to instantly see the fish start to eat the algae.

"We need more" breathed Noa. "They'll eat the algae. I was watching them in the lagoon, they were eating anything foreign in the lagoon water. But we need much more." Obi looked at her for a moment than pulled her close.

"Okay" he said, relief in his voice. "But leave it up to me and the proper tools. You're too brilliant for us to loose and I just about lost you today. I love you too much and just couldn’t live without you, Noa" and he kissed her hard. When he pulled back he added, "Don't ever do that to me again." She laughed and said, "What, no punches?" He laughed and pulled her close remembering the day 2 years ago that he did the exact same thing to her. "I deserved that" he said.

Over the next few days, while Piku progressed on the bushes, Obi kept catching fish and bringing them to the ocean. Slowly, the algae started to disappear. Finally, the ocean cleared again. Obi knew, that with Noa's brilliant mind, their tribe would never again have to worry about food.

#166437 - 08/01/08 06:52 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Thanks everyone, the tribe feels your love and they are doeing much better! The little ones were anxious for more story so I figured you all were as well!

Here's the next part.

Chapter 21
The Newest Carpenter

Ahi was now 14 and was most anxious to help Piku with the thorny bushes. For many years he watched Piku building the huts and was just fascinated. Obi and Noa proudly watched their oldest son after his once again traditional crab breakfast follow Piku over to the bushes and start cutting with all his might.

Obi put a strong arm around Noa's waist as they watched their son with pride. "Thank you" he said to her while he kissed her head.

"For what?" she chuckled looking up.

"For my sons, for my daughters and for ensuring I could cook my oldest son a crab breakfast for his 14th birthday. For being you." A tear snuck down his cheek. Noa smiled and kissed him. "You're welcome, my love."

Meanwhile, Mua had found a hole in the sand that looked like it had been there for days. She had never noticed it before and was curious. She reached in and found a whole store of nuts. "Wow, must have been the storage spot for an animal" she whispered to herself.

"Must have been" said Piku from behind her, startling her. She whipped around and found herself face to face with a spear.

"What are you doing?!" she shrieked. Piku laughed. "Relax, Mua. I was just preparing for an animal to jump out, I was getting ready to protect you. You really shouldn't just stick your hands into random holes. What if something bit you?"

"So you need to point a spear at me?" Mua asked, still shaking. Piku chuckled and put out his hand to help his wife up.

"What are those?" he asked her.

"I'm not sure, I think they might be food. I'm going to take some over to the research table. Could you pull the rest of them out for me? There's a lot in there."

"No problem, anything for you, you know that"

"And Piku?" Mua called as she started to walk away.

"Yes?"

"Put that spear away before hurt yourself." Piku shook his head, smiling, as he watched Mua walk away.

"That's some woman, I married."

After looking over the nuts, Mua and Noa figured out that the hard surface was a shell. Cracking a few open, they tasted the inside and moaned with pleasure.

"Oh, these are so good!" said Noa. "How many did you find?"

"A lot, I don't know exactly" replied Mua, her mouth full. "Let's go tell the others, they'll love them!"

#166441 - 08/01/08 07:30 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 22
All Grown Up

Years passed. Noa was now 44, Obi about to turn 50. Aiko had just turned 14 and was becoming a scientist just like his brother and sister before him. Tarita, now 19, was a Master Scientist, a fast rising star in the tribe and Ahi, at 23, had mastered science and carpentry. Tiki, about to turn 18, followed in her father's footsteps and was working hard to master farming. Obi enjoyed spending his days fishing with his youngest daughter and it brought back memories of meeting Noa.

Mua and Piku had birthed another beautiful little girl who was now 3 and they had named her Sun. Like their other children, Sun had inherited Mua's long dark hair but Sun was unique with a streak of silver running through the side. With their other children grown and working, Piku cherished his little girl and often took breaks to play with her.

Jem and Coen had also birthed another little girl shortly after Mua and Piku and had named her Sutai, often seen with a pretty purple flower in her grayish-blond hair. Sun and Sutai were instant friends.

And the tribe, now 16 strong, had made many advancements and progress. When Piku had finished cutting the thorny bushes years before they discovered a strange stone figure, what appeared to be large face with an open mouth, behind it. Although they had not yet figured out what it's purpose was, they knew it was important. Piku had also uncovered another metal piece in the process and they stored it with the first in the hut. A short while later, the carpenters managed to break open a crate that had washed ashore and found a third metal piece. The three pieces seemed to fit together, but still, what it was, and what it's purpose was, remained unknown.

While enjoying the pond one day, Noa looked at her husband, a tear in her eye. "I can't believe how quickly they grew up. They're amazing, aren't they?" Obi looked at her for a long moment and then, a tear suddenly falling down his cheek, kissed his wife.

"You're an amazing mother." He said. Noa smiled and hugged Obi.

"Do you miss having little ones? I mean, all four of them are so independent, so mature. Do you ever miss the chaos of little feet?" Obi nodded, still smiling. "What would you say to trying for one more?" Noa continued. Obi looked at her, and said "We're getting older, Noa, we don't have much time left to conceive. I would want as many children as we are capable."

Noa grinned at Obi, "I'm so happy to hear you say that!" Obi studied her face for a minute and then froze. He jumped up and turned to the camp "Kids!" he yelled, "Come here quick! Come congratulate your mother! She's pregnant again!" Every turned at the sound of Obi's voice and their four children came running at top speed. As they hugged and congratulated their parents Piku looked at Coen and Bibi and sighed "Well, let's start working on a hut then, we're going to need more room." Coen looked at Bibi and chuckled. "Yup," he said, "let's start working".

#166442 - 08/01/08 07:31 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 23
The Proposal

As the excitement of Noa's pregnancy hung over the tribe for the next few weeks, Ahi approached Piku one day. "Can I have a word?" he asked his elder.

"Sure Ahi. Let's go for a walk." Piku said and put an arm on the young man's shoulder. Piku knew why Ahi wanted to talk, he'd been expecting this but wanted to allow Ahi to speak his mind.

Once they were away from the camp Ahi stopped and looked at Piku, fear flashed across his face but Ahi shook his head, took a breath and squared his shoulders. "Sir" he started, "as you know, Aida just turned 18 and well..." he paused and looked at the ground. Piku waited patiently while Ahi composed himself. Ahi took another breath and said very quickly "I love her very much and I want your permission to ask her to marry me." Ahi exhaled and then smiled. He did it. He'd been dreading this moment and he made it through. But then he noticed Piku's stern look and his face fell, shoulder's slumped.

"Ahi, this is my daughter you're talking about. My oldest, my precious little girl. Why would I allow any man take her innocence from her. My girls and too good for that." Ahi felt like he was going to be sick. He started to stammer and then Piku reached out and put his hands on Ahi's shoulders and laughed. "I'm just kidding!" he said to Ahi. "I just couldn't resist seeing the look on your face. Mua and I would be honored to have you as a son. You and Aida will make a wonderful couple." And he pulled Ahi close to him and hugged him.

Two weeks later, the tribe celebrated another beautiful wedding. Aida and Ahi tried for many months to conceive. As Noa approached her delivery date, Aida was starting to become discouraged.

"Don't worry Aida" Mua said to her daughter one day. "Your father and I were married for some years before you came along. It sometimes just takes time."

"I know Mom, it's just tough. It seems like Noa and Obi just think about getting pregnant and suddenly they are. Ahi and I want children so badly, I'm just worried that maybe we can't.

"It will happen, patience Aida." Mua said hugging her daughter. "There's a reason you're not pregnant yet. We may not know what that reason is yet, but there's a reason. Just have faith." Aida nodded, holding back tears.

A few weeks later, Noa gave birth to their 5th child, a cute little boy who looked like Ahi had when he was born. Obi was full of pride as their family continued to grow. He had always wanted a large family.

When the time came, two years later, Azizi was named. Obi had again provided the name and Noa promptly asked where the name had come from. Obi smiled and shrugged, "It's sounded right, and it started with an 'A'. All our boys' names start with an 'A'. I just made it up." Noa laughed hard. After four children with important meaningful names, her dear husband just made a name up. But she loved the name anyway.

"You know that wish you had for a big family Obi?" Noa asked, blushing a little. Obi nodded. "Well, it seems that it's going to keep growing!"

#166443 - 08/01/08 07:31 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 24
All In The Family

Obi laughed and tears filled his happy eyes. Noa called for their children to make the announcement.

"Geez Dad!" Ahi laughed, "Couldn't you wait until you named the last one?" Obi laughed and the family celebrated. They went to inform the rest of the tribe.

It took less than a week for Aida to announce that she was pregnant as well. While talking with Noa one day, seeking advice from the tribe's pregnant pro, Aida looked at Noa and asked, "Noa? Are you sad that you won't be pregnant with your daughters?"

Noa looked at her pretty daughter-in-law and replied "Aida. Obi and I were blessed to have two girls and two boys. Our closest friends consistently gave birth to some of the most beautiful girls we have ever seen. Just because our daughters do not have any young men their age to marry, doesn't mean that we can't bring two more daughters into our family. We were so happy when we saw that you and Ahi were love and we see the same look forming in Akio's eyes when he looks at Aika. Your mother is my best friend and to see our boys fall in love her daughters is more than we could ever wish. We love you very much Aida and you are now family. As far as I'm concerned, I am pregnant with my daughter." She paused to hug Aida and saw that Aida was crying although a large smile was on her face.

"I don't know how many more children Obi and I will be able to have, but it will be up to you and Ahi and Akio and Aika to bear many children and find a nice mix between boys and girls so that this tribe can continue for many years to come." Aida cried harder and hugged Noa tight. Noa knew they were happy tears and understood how Aida felt. For a long time, the two sat together and talked. They would have stayed longer but were interrupted but Ahi's loud cry.

"Hey everyone! Come here! Quick!" he yelled. The two stood up and followed the rest of the tribe to the stone figure where Ahi stood.

"What is it?" Aida asked when they arrived.

"I think I figured it out! Look!" said Ahi excited. As everyone looked at the figure, they noticed that Ahi had managed to fuse the three metal pieces together and had hung it from the top of the figures mouth. "And listen to this," he continued as he picked up a stick and struck the metal with all his strength. A loud sound emerged from the metal, musical, yet awkward. "I think it's some kind of drum or something, but I'm sure there's a piece still missing. It doesn't quite look right, and definitely doesn't sound right. And I'm not too sure yet what it's supposed to do when it's finished, but I'm sure it's important." He turned to face the crowd and saw 15 shocked and confused faces. At this point, he didn't know what to think and was starting to feel a little silly. Then he saw his father step through the crowd and approach him. Obi looked at the figure and then at his oldest child. He grabbed his son and pulled him into a hug so quickly that Ahi was surprised and shocked. When Obi pulled back his looked again at his son's face and said "You take after your mother." Ahi chuckled relieved and everyone started applauding Ahi for his new, brilliant discovery.

A few days later, Mua and Piku announced to the tribe that they were also going to be having another child. Their children were elated and Aida couldn't be happier that she was pregnant with her two mothers. As everyone celebrated, Jem jumped up and said "Coen and I are pregnant too!"

"Wha..?" Coen started to say and then fainted. Everyone laughed and celebrated more while Jem tried to revive her husband.

After following in his older brothers footsteps, Akio, who had just celebrated his 18th birthday with Hawa and Aika, took Piku aside and asked for permission to marry Aika. Full of pride, Piku granted his permission and a little over a week later, Akio and Aika were married.

"I just can't build these huts fast enough!" laughed Piku hugging his new son-in-law after the ceremony.

Within two weeks, Aika announced that she was pregnant. Coen, Piku, Obi, Ahi and Akio all stood together looking in amazement at their wives.

"Wow" said Piku, "I must be dreaming. All five, pregnant at the same time. This can't be real."

"I'm excited!" said Ahi "I can't wait!"

"Just wait, young one" said Piku. "We haven't gotten to the tough part yet. Give it a month or two"

"What do you mean?" asked Akio.

"Stop! Don't say anymore!" sighed Coen, "I can't take another fainting spell, my head still hurts from hitting it last time" and he rubbed the bump that was still visible on the back of his head. Piku and Obi laughed. Piku turned to Obi and said "And we thought it was tough with three of them at once. What did we get ourselves into?" Obi laughed again, looking at his beautiful wife in the distance and put an arm around his lifelong friend.

#166444 - 08/01/08 07:33 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 25
The New Arrivals

Noa and Mua were relaxing on the beach, admiring the ocean and laughing over each others ever growing bellies when Noa saw something floating just offshore.

"What is that?" she asked Mua. Mua looked out and saw what Noa was looking at.

"I'm not sure" she said "It kind of looks like a barrel or something." The two looked at each other and turned quickly.

"Obi!" Noa yelled and Mua hollered "Piku!" The two men rushed over and after being shown the ocean promptly swam out to pull the barrel to shore. Coen, overhearing the commotion, rushed over with a spear to pry the barrel open with. As the men popped the top of the barrel off, Noa screamed at the top of her lungs. Wedged inside the barrel were two very small, very scared, and very hungry looking children, a boy and a girl. Obi reached in to pull them out the boy bit Obi's hand. He pulled back and looked at them, far from angry at the attack but very concerned. "I won't hurt you, I'm here to help." Obi said. His deep smooth voice seemed to calm the children and they allowed him to help them out of the barrel.

Mua knelt down carefully and turning to the boy, who appeared slightly older asked, "Do you have a name?"

"Weeko" he said in a scared voice, barely audible. "Nada" his said again, indicating the little girl.

"Is she your sister?" Mua urged. Weeko shook his head, no. "Where did you come from?" He shook his head again. Nada was crying silently, tears streaming down her face. She looked utterly terrified and both appeared starved and ill.

Noa stepped forward and took the little girls hand. "I'm going to make you feel better Nada, come with me now." And she turned towards her hut, where most of her medical supplies were stored. Obi reached out and picked Weeko up and followed Noa. After fixing the minor wounds the children had and giving them some herbs to help them feel better she turned to Obi and started to treat the bite on his hand.

"They'll have to stay, Obi. They're all alone and so small. We need to make them a part of our tribe." Obi nodded.

After a few days, Weeko and Nada were obviously doing better. The younger children took them in and played with them, and with Noa's constant care and medicines, they were showing much more strength and energy. The older tribe members gathered that night by the fire, after the children had gone to bed to discuss the children's fate.

"They need a parental figure" said Coen. "They can't grow up here without a parent." Jem agreed.

"But who?" asked Piku. "We all have pretty full families as it is. Are huts are already crowded." Mua put her hand on Piku's.

"I guess Obi and I could take one of them." Said Noa.

"We'll take the other" said Coen firmly. Jem looked at him in amazement. Coen always fainted at the slightest indication of children. And now he was offering to take another in. Everyone started talking at once, suddenly all wanting to help. Only Obi and Bibi remained silent.

Obi stood up and firmly stated, "No!". Everyone stopped and looked at him. "Bibi should take them. She has no children of her own, this is her chance." They all looked at Bibi.

"Obi" she said, "I'm so old now, I don't know how much more time I have!" It wouldn't be fair to them!"

"Yes it would!" said Mua, "You practically raised all of us, you could do this. Obi's right, you should take them."

"But what if I'm not here to see them to adulthood?"

"Then we'll all step in and take over. But if and until that time comes, the children will be yours." Said Obi with a definite air of finality.

#166445 - 08/01/08 07:34 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 26
The Miracle

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" Noa asked Tarita the next day when she found her daughter crying by the ocean.

"Oh Mom, it's just not fair!" Tarita sobbed.

"What's not fair?" asked Noa, concern in her voice.

"Why can't I have a baby? It's cruel that there is no man for Tiki or I. Ahi and Akio are going to have children, and I never will. I want to be a mother! I want to be just like you." But she couldn't go on.

Noa felt her heart break for her daughter and held her tight. "Oh, Tarita. Not everything in this life, on this island, is fair. There are some things we can't control. But, it never hurts to wish and hope." She paused when Tarita looked at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if you really want to be a mother, then wish for it with all your heart. It may not happen, but it will never happen if you don't wish for it. Sometimes, dreams can come true, we just can't loose hope." Tarita nodded slightly and managed a quiet, broken "Okay Mom.". Noa continued to hold and rock her daughter until her crying finally allowed her to drift to sleep in Noa's arms. Obi came to check on the two and knelt down to gently pick up his daughter. Noa followed as Obi carried her to the hut and laid her in her bed. He kissed his daughter on the cheek and covered her with the blanket. Taking the nearby wash cloth, he wiped the tear stains from her cheeks and kissed her again. Turning to Noa he led her out of the hut and Noa told Obi what had happened. A tear formed in Obi's eyes and his heart went out to his daughter. He leaned down and kissed Noa. For the first time since they could remember. Neither had any clue what to do.

A few days later while working at the research table, Tarita was distracted. She felt awful, she hadn't felt right since that day with Noa. She didn't want to eat, she found it hard to work and constantly felt like she was going to be sick. Ahi noticed this change in his sister and was concerned.

"Tarita, you're really pale. Maybe you should go lie down and I'll get Mom to check you out." Tarita shook her head and stubbornly returned to work. Ahi watched her and before he could react, she fell. He reached out to catch her but couldn't catch her in time. She hit her head on the table and her arm caught some bottles as she fell, smashing them to the ground. Ahi grabbed his sister and yelled for help, slipping on the spilt liquid and cutting himself on the glass. A deep gash appeared on his forearm but he ignored the pain and lifted his sister up, moving her away from the broken glass. He carried her to the hut while Piku and Obi ran to them, responding to Ahi's shouts. Obi took one look at Tarita and saw the blood dripping off Ahi's arm and stopped Piku dead in his tracks. "Get Noa!" was all he said and ran after Ahi.

Inside the hut, Ahi held a cloth to his arm while Noa examined Tarita, a stricken look on her face. Thanks to Ahi, Tarita had avoided any injuries from the broken glass, but she had a large bump on her head and was obviously ill from something. Noa tried to revive her, needing to talk to her, and urgently. Obi came back into the hut, having left to find more clean cloths for Ahi's arm. He was looking pale from the loss of blood, but the bleeding had slowed greatly. Noa came over and started to clean and dress the wound, removing a large piece of glass in the process. Tarita stirred.

"Honey! Honey, wake up!" Noa cried out. "It's okay, we're here, open your eyes."

"My head hurts." She moaned.

"You fell and hit your head. Does anything else hurt?" Tarita slowly shook her head. "Do you know where you are?" She nodded. "Do you remember what happened?" She nodded. Noa breathed a sigh of relief. Her daughter would be okay. "Ahi, I need a minute with Tarita and your father. Could you please wait outside?" Without a word, Ahi obediently left the hut. Noa turned back to Tarita.

Noa looked at Tarita and then at Obi. "Honey, you have morning sickness. You're pregnant."

"I can't be!" Obi took a few steps back and eyed the two.

"I know it doesn't make any sense, but trust me Tarita, you're pregnant." A look of comprehension dawned on Tarita's face and she put a hand on her stomach.

"What is it?" asked Noa. "Did you remember something?"

"'Dreams can come true'" she whispered, quoting her mother. "Mom, dreams really can come true!" and she perked up. "You were right! You were right all along! I wished for a baby, I dreamed with all my heart for a baby and now I'm going to have one!" Noa and Obi looked at each other and Noa was transported back to the day he proposed to her, when he told her that it was possible that her dreams brought her to this island. That his dreams took him down a waterfall to meet her. A slow smile formed on his face and he moved to kiss his daughter then kissed Noa. "How are we ever going to tell the others?" he asked with a laugh. Noa, still in shock looked at Tarita and said, "I have no idea, but bring a mattress when you tell them, Coen will faint again if he finds out there's a sixth pregnant women running around." Obi chuckled and turned to let Ahi back in the hut.

#166446 - 08/01/08 07:35 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 27
The Love of a Tribe

Obi spoke with a loud, clear, confident voice, never wavering in his story. Noa fell in love with her husband all over again and she listened to him describe Tarita's situation. When he had finished, he waited for their reaction, one hand on Tarita's shoulder, the other holding Noa's. On Tarita's other side, Ahi had an arm around her waist and held his sister with loving arms.

Coen was the first to step forward and walked straight to Obi. Coen stared at him for a minute then reached a hand up to Obi's shoulder.

"Are you going to let her go now, so that we can congratulate her? She's carrying a miracle, and I would like to give her a proper hug."

Noa let out a breath and only then realized she had been holding it. Obi smiled and released Tarita as Coen stepped sideways and hugged the young woman. The remaining tribe members took their turns to hug and kiss Tarita, offering sincere congratulations. The news of Tarita seemed to instill a new found energy and hope into the tribe.

Over the next nine months, the six women took their turns bringing more babies into the tribe. Obi and Noa had another boy, who, like their other sons, looked very much like their father. Piku and Mua had another girl. Coen and Jem birthed yet another little girl. Ahi and Aida also had girl. Akio and Aida had a son and Tarita had a boy. The tribe celebrated these children. The next generation and the future of the tribe. Noticing the wonderful mix of boys and girls that were born, the elder members of the tribe watched the children play together and knew their tribe would continue for sometime.

By the time all the children were old enough to be named, Noa had turned 52 and knew, in her heart, that her time for birthing children had come to an end. She wasn't sad, not really. Her and Obi had given birth to six beautiful children and were also grandparents. They couldn't possibly have asked for more. But as she realized that she was getting older, she was noticing age start to take its toll on her beloved. Having just turned 58, Obi was starting to move a little slower, pain starting to show in his joints. His face was lined from years in the sun, farming everyday of his adult life. His silver hair was starting to dull and was looking more grey than silver. But Obi's eyes remained bright, and he never complained, not once. Ahi had taken to farming as well, helping his father and sister out as Obi slowed down. Ahi was quickly mastering the skill and Obi cherished each day he spent with Tiki and Ahi, performing their duties as providers. The children equally enjoyed the time. As Noa watched the three grow even closer, she feared that her family was running short on time with Obi. She remained strong, but inside, her heart was starting to break. She simply couldn't imagine living without Obi. But when you start to age, you start to realize that everyone has to move on at sometime. As much as the miraculous acts of her family had made her a believer, she was quite sure that wishing and hoping was not going to allow Obi to live forever.

#166447 - 08/01/08 07:36 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Well, we don't yet what is going to happen to Obi and the others, so you'll just have to stick with me to the end.

I'm so cruel sometimes.

Chapter 28
The Master Celebrated

Piku had taken to completing all construction projects alone, leaving the others free to research with the master scientists and try to advance the tribe further. Piku didn't mind. He loved his fellow carpenters but enjoyed the solitude as well. One day, during lunch, he grabbed Mua and took her for a walk.

"I want you to see this." He said walking his wife to a spot just south of the lagoon. "Look at this spot, Mua. Why have we never done anything with this?" Mua looked at him, confused. "Look!" he continued. "Can't you see it?" Mua looked down and Piku could tell she was not understanding. He knelt down and brushed some of the grass and dirt aside. "Underneath these stones and dirt and grass are tiles. Beautiful glass tiles. Someone once treasured this spot. It was special once. I want to restore it."

Mua looked at Piku and started to speak but had no words. Piku turned to face her, "Mua, I'm 50. I can't do this work for much longer. As a last gift to this tribe, our large family, I want to do this. Leave them with something beautiful to remember it's founders by." A tear snuck down Mua's cheek and she kissed Piku. "I think that would be wonderful."

Over the next few years, Piku worked everyday to clear the old ruins. Scraping and wiping and moving rocks. He poured his heart and sole into the task and slowly, the beauty of what once was, started to show.

Meanwhile, Ahi had progressed greatly in the skill of farming. While Ahi was fishing one day, Obi approached Akio, Coen and Piku and pulled them aside. "I want to honor Ahi." He started and the three men looked at him. "I know that we have all worked hard, all of our lives. And we have all gone far above and beyond mastering our skills. But Ahi has been the one to help out wherever he was needed and at only 32, has nearly mastered three of our most difficult skills. I believe this is something to be recognized." He finished. The three looked at each other and then looked back at Obi.

"What do you want us to do Dad?" asked Akio.

"I will need a large piece of wood, a log. I also need a sharp knife, some sea stones from the bottom of the lagoon and all of your help. We must keep this quite until it's ready, tell no one."

"I'll get the stones" said Akio. "I learned to dive from the best" he added smiling at his father. Obi grinned with pride at his son.

"Coen and I will get a log. We'll find the largest we can." Said Piku.

"When you find it, please bring it to the edge of the forest, but no further. We'll need to work on it there, where no one can see it." Piku and Coen nodded and rushed to the forest.

Over the next few months, the four were seen heading to the forest on many occasions for hours at a time. They would emerge looking dirty and tired and covered in sawdust. When asked what they were up to, neither man would say a word. They would just simply smile and nod. In between their trips to the forest, they would each continue with their regular tasks and Piku had nearly completed his project of uncovering the ruins.

One day, the four gathered around the fire and called the rest of the tribe to join them. As they approached, they all noticed a large object covered in blankets and curiosity and excitement flowed through the tribe.

"Ahi, I'd like you to join us, son" Obi called and Ahi stepped forward, blushing slightly but not really knowing why. Obi put his hands on Ahi's shoulders and spoke only to him. "Ahi, you have grown into an amazing man, a husband, a father, a carpenter, a scientist, and a farmer. You have accomplished more in 32 years than any of us have ever done in this tribe. For that, we," and his paused to indicate the three other men standing beside him, "felt that it was time you were properly recognized for your accomplishments. And not just for the moment. We wanted to ensure that every successor of this tribe knew who you were and what you had done in your life and sought a way to ensure you were honored for the rest of your life and every life of this tribe to follow." With that, Obi stepped aside and the four men parted to show the covered the object. With a graceful sweep, Coen and Akio pulled the blankets off to reveal a large, stunning, hand carved totem. Ahi gasped at it's brilliance. It was red, with carved sea stones embedded throughout the intricate carvings. Behind him, he felt the whole tribe take a sharp breath with him.

Ahi stepped forward to take a closer look at the totem. "It's beautiful, Dad. It's absolutely beautiful!" and he turned to his father seeing tears streaming down his face. The men embraced as Noa and Aida stepped forward to join their husbands. As they celebrated, Piku stepped between them. "And I thought," he said, "that since I have now completed uncovering the old ruins, we could display the totem there, for every generation to follow to admire and be inspired by." The tribe clapped and hollered in agreement and Aiko and Coen lifted the totem and carried it over to the glass tiled area as the rest of the tribe followed. The two set the totem down in the centre of the tiles and turned to face their families and friends.

The entire tribe had stopped and froze. Their eyes were wide and mouths open. As Obi and Ahi stepped forward from the crowd, Coen and Akio turned to see a bright light shining from the centre of the tiles, shining up over the top of the large totem. The two took a few steps back and joined Obi and Ahi. The rest of the tribe collectively backed away as well. They watched as the light grew brighter and then the totem slowly lifted into the air. It moved with precise grace and control and after lifting up about 8 feet in the air, it moved sideways and slowly lowered back to the ground, completely unharmed. The bright light, now shooting to the sky, began to fade. Shielding their eyes from the light, the men noticed something on the ground in the centre of the tiles. As the light disappeared, Coen walked over to object and saw a large jagged piece of metal. "Ahi, come here!" he said. As Ahi approached, Coen looked up. "I think it's the fourth piece!" Ahi knelt down to examine the object with Coen. It was the fourth piece. Somehow, someway, they had uncovered the fourth piece of the gong.

#166448 - 08/01/08 07:37 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 29
The Gong of Wonder

"You do the honors." Coen said to Ahi. "This is your discovery, this is what you've been working on. You finish it." And he stood and backed away. Ahi picked up the metal piece and carried it over to the stone figure. As soon as he attached it to the other pieces, the four parts fused together, leaving no trace of a seam. The finished piece glowed briefly and words appeared upon it. Ahi stepped forward and read.

"You have restored the Gong Of Wonder.
While its power and purpose remain unclear to all who came before you,
It shall stand magnificently in your village
And remain a source of great pride to everyone."

"Ring it!" cried Aida from the front of the crowd.

"Yeah, ring it daddy! Cried little Nunai, looking at her father in excitement. Ahi smiled at his daughter and picked up a large stick. He put a hand out to Nunai, "Only if you help me." She ran over to him and Ahi lifted her up. Together, they hit the gong as hard as they could. It gave a loud, low, glorious sound. Everyone paused to see what would happen. After a moment, Noa spoke up. "Maybe nothing happens after all."

"No, look!" gasped Jem, pointing at the food bin. It was utterly overflowing with food. Three times more food then there had been that morning.

"It's unbelieveable!" cried Piku. Ahi, hit it again!" Ahi turned back to the gong and again hit the gong. This time no sound ensued. He stood there, a blank look on his face. He set Nunai down and moved her behind him. He reared back and with every ounce of strength, hit the gong one more time. Again, no sound came out.

"This can't be right" said Akio. "It grants one magical gift and that's it? Nothing more, ever again? After all the work you put into it!" He sounded angry. Hurt in his voice for his older brother.

"Patience Aiko." Spoke Obi. "I have a feeling that it will ring again, it just needs time. We didn't build this tribe, our beautiful home in one day. I think the Gong is refusing to grant all of our wishes in one day as well. Perhaps we shall try again tomorrow."

Slowly the tribe broke apart but Ahi remained, fixated on the gong. Finally, Aida approached him and put her arm around him. He moved to pull her close but continued to look at the gong. "Honey, let's go. Nunai wants you to tuck her in."

"I failed Aida. Right after my father and brother and friends honor me with an amazing gift. They called me a 'Master' and then I fail on this gong."

"Don't say that Ahi!" said Aida firmly. "You didn't fail. Did you not listen to your father? Did you not hear a word he said? Did you not see what happened to our food?" she paused to turn to Ahi. "The gong worked Ahi. It performed a miraculous feat! I believe that Obi is right, it needs time until it performs another act. Go. Go be with your daughter. You know she's daddy's little girl, she loves when you tuck her in. We'll come back to the Gong tomorrow." Ahi nodded and turned to walk with his wife back to the hut. Deep down, he knew she was right.

#166449 - 08/01/08 07:38 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 30
Love and Sadness

"Noa! Noa! Come here, we need you. Now!" Noa stirred in bed as Obi nudged her. She opened her eyes and realized someone was pounding on the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" she grumbled as she started to get up.

"Bring Obi!" called Piku and they heard him run from the hut. The two shot out of bed and followed. Noa's heart sank as she realized that Piku was running to Bibi's hut. She ran faster and didn't notice Obi stop as comprehension dawned on his face. She entered the hut and saw Bibi looking pale and weak. Mua was washing her forehead with a cold cloth.

"Help her Noa." Mua said simply, not looking up. Concern for their friend, their mother, was all over her face. Noa examined Bibi but after checking for every disease known to the tribe, checking for broken bones, anything that could be ailing her, she found nothing. Bibi opened her eyes and looked at the two. Piku retreated outside to wait with Obi.

"Stop Noa. There's nothing you can do for me." She said in a tiny voice. Noa started to cry and Mua followed.

"I know, I know I can't!" sobbed Noa. "I can't help you this time." A tear started down Bibi's cheek but she managed a smile. Mua looked at the cloth in her hand then threw it across the bed at Noa.

"Stop it Noa! Stop it!" she yelled, anger in her voice. "Stop sitting there and help her! Fix her! You're our healer!" Noa got up and walked around the bed and held Mua. Mua fought her, started to hit her. "You have to help her! You just have to!" she cried. But Noa ignored her words and grabbed her hands. With the strength of the men in the tribe she overpowered Mua and held her tight. Mua sobbed uncontrollably and Noa cried with her reaching out a hand to take Bibi's. "Why can't you help her?" stuttered Mua through sobs.

"I'm old, honey!" whispered Bibi. "It's my time, I'm dying." She did not sound frightened, she did not sound sad. She spoke with wisdom and a hint of excitement. Mua started to calm down and Noa lessened her grip.

"There's no cure for old age." Said Noa simply and she looked at Bibi. "All we can do is make her comfortable."

"I want to see my brother." Said Bibi. Noa nodded and pulled Mua up. Noa reached out and kissed Bibi on the forhead. "I love you." She said then turned to the door. When Noa emerged, her eyes immediately found Obi's. He looked utterly distraught and Noa went to meet him while Mua rushed into Piku's arms, still crying. Obi stepped forward then pushed passed Noa and marched into the hut, leaving Noa alone outside. The others had started to come forward, word passing around that Bibi was sick. Piku left Mua for minute and walked to Noa. He pulled her close and kissed her cheek. "You know where to find me if you need me." He said and then turning back to Mua he added, "Sis." Noa's children all surrounded her and hugged her. The older children understood how much Bibi meant to their mother, to the whole tribe. Little Azizi and Solo did not seem to understand what was happening. Tiki hugged Noa again and pulled two aside to try to explain the situation. The family waited for a long time while Obi remained in the hut with his sister. The tribe had gone back to their duties, Piku laid Mua down in their hut to rest. Jem and Coen gathered Weeko and Nada and tried to distract the two but they knew something was wrong with their new mother. Noa and her children waited, not moving, not speaking, simply watching the hut for any sign of movement.

A long time later, or maybe no time at all, no one could know for sure, Obi emerged from the hut. He was walking tall, the look on his face unreadable. Except to Noa, who watched his eyes. After a couple steps, Obi fell to his knees and broke down into large, convulsive sobs. Noa rushed forward and held him tight, the children following. The eight of them huddled on the ground, crying together. Slowly, the tribe members rejoined them, and circled around them. No one spoke a word, no one needed to. They all saw it on Obi's tear stained face.

Bibi had left them forever.

#166450 - 08/01/08 07:38 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 31
The Funeral

No sounds came from the tribe for the rest of the day. Everyone went to comfort Obi and the others but no words came from anyone's mouth. There was nothing that could be said. No words would bring Bibi back. Hugs and kisses and tears were the only communication needed. Finally, Ahi stood up and walked over to the gong. He picked up the stick and struck the gong. It's low ring emerged but today it was different. It was a mournful sound. Everyone looked at Ahi but no one looked to see what would happen next. They knew that today, the gong would grant no wishes. The only wish in each tribe member's heart could never be granted. Loved ones that passed on, could not be brought back. The sound stood only as tribute as the ring echoed endlessly through the island, cutting the sad silence of each member of the tribe.

Obi finally stood up, Noa still in his arms. He kissed his wife and then each of his children. Taking a deep breath, he walked, with the agility and strength he had when he was twenty, to the research table and grabbed a set of tools. He walked to the north side of the camp and started to break away a large chunk of rock. The entire tribe watched him intently. Understanding what Obi was trying to do, Piku stepped forward and, grabbing more tools, joined his best friend and started chipping at the rock. Ahi and Aiko followed the lead and joined their father. Coen was the last to join them. Together, the men worked, late into the night, until a large piece of stone broke away from the mountainside. They carried the heavy stone to the fire, where the only light now lay and all began chipping away at the stone.

The next morning, the women and children woke to the sound of metal on stone. Emerging from their huts, they saw the five men, still working at the side of the fire. Noa had not slept all night. She respected Obi enough to leave him alone with his sons and closest friends that night, but could not sleep while her husband stayed awake, in obvious pain. She was the first to arrive at the fire that morning and saw that the men had formed the rock into a beautiful curved shape. They were chipping intricate letters into the stone. Silently, she reached around them for the cauldron and went to the lagoon to fill it with water. She worked to prepare breakfast for the tribe and ensured the men were not disturbed while they worked. Noa understood all the plants on the island with thorough confidence and knew that she needed to make a special stew that morning for everyone.

As Noa finished making breakfast, the men stepped back from the stone. Obi reached out his hand for Noa and pulled her close to him. She stood beside him and looked at the piece of stone. What she saw took her breath away.

"Here lies Bibi
Beloved Sister
Master Carpenter and Brilliant Scientist
Mother of all the Tribe

She will be missed dearly
She will be loved for eternity"

She looked at the five men, all of whom she loved in different ways. "It's perfect." She said quietly, tears threatening to overwhelm her. Obi reached down and kissed her. It was a different kind of kiss. Not full of passion but full of pure love. His kiss said that right now, he needed her more then he had ever needed her. For the first time ever, as they held each other, Noa felt as if she was keeping Obi from falling, not the other way around. After a moment she gently pulled back and called the tribe to breakfast.

As the tribe ate Noa's stew, as strange feeling came over each and every one of them. They all started to feel stronger, rested. They had a difficult day ahead of them, but each and everyone one of the suddenly felt like they had the strength to make it through.

After breakfast, the five men took some more tools and then walked to the field on the north end of the camp and started to dig. After a couple of hours, they managed to dig a deep hole, once again, pulling together silently for each other, to complete a difficult task. They walked to the lagoon together to wash and freshen up. Noa, Mua and Jem brought the men clean clothes, their best clothes, and a large blanket. They changed and took the blanket and moved towards Bibi's hut. As they walked together to the hut, the three women hurried to ensure the rest of the tribe and the children had changed into their best clothes and moved them towards the freshly dug hole.

A few minutes later, Obi, Piku, Coen, Ahi and Aiko emerged, supporting Bibi's tightly wrapped body above their heads. They walked towards the tribe slowly, Obi in the lead. All of them stood tall and looked strong. Sadness was apparent in each of their faces, but they needed to complete this task. They needed to properly honor Bibi. So together, their love for each other as friends, as fathers, as sons, they finished the long walk to the hole and gently, as if she was as light as a feather, they laid her in the hole.

No one said a word. Quiet tears and soft sobs issued from each villager, but no one could manage any speech. Instead, all 25 friends and family members, paid silent tribute to the tribes' original Matriarch. After some time, the group began to break apart, pausing by the grave to throw flowers and pat Obi on the back or kiss his cheek. Once everyone had left but the five men and their wives, Piku turned to Obi. He saw the tears running down his face and put his arm around him. "Go with Noa, Obi. We'll finish up here." Obi shook his head and picked up a shovel, determined to finish the job and pay proper tribute to his sister. Piku looked back at Noa, concern on his face. She gave him a small smile, to say, 'It's okay, let him finish this. He'll be okay.' Piku understood and picking up a shovel, joined Obi. Ahi, Aiko and Coen followed suit.

#166453 - 08/01/08 07:55 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 32
Life Must Go On

It was many months before Obi really returned to normal. He mourned for his older sister, he had loved her dearly. But with Noa's unyielding strength, he slowly realized that he still had his family, his wife, his children. He still had a life to live himself. He had to let go of his sister. Not forget her, never forget her. Never stop loving her. But no longer mourn her.

During the months of Obi's mourning, Jem and Coen had once again become pregnant. They had taken in Weeko and Nada in Bibi's absence and now their family would become even larger. The children were back to running around and playing. People were doing their chores, their jobs. Eating, laughing.

At first, this bothered Obi. But slowly, with coaching from Noa, he realized that these responses were good, not disrespectful. Bibi had passed, but life had to continue. Obi was not long for this world, he knew this in his soul. He became determined to live each minute to its fullest. Enjoy his children, his grandchildren. To live the way he had always lived before, before he lost his sister.

As the years went on and the children continued to grow, the tribe continued to thrive. Each day, Ahi woke and rang the gong. Little miracles happened each time. The fish doubled in the ocean, the clouds parted on a rainy day, and research advancement was made. Life was good for them.

But as the years passed, Obi continued to age. Noa struggled to remain strong as she watched the love of her life slowly fade. Although Obi continued to spend his days farming and fishing with Tiki and Ahi, he was slowing down drastically and his strength was fading.

Four years after Bibi's passing, Obi and Noa awoke one day and Obi was unable to get out of bed. His old joints were stiff and full of pain and his heart was starting to slow down. Noa sent for Ahi and their son helped his father up, got him dressed and supported him as they slowly walked to breakfast. Piku spent the morning carving a stick that Obi could use as a cane to help him walk. Noa created teas and ointments for Obi to help ease his pain.

But the entire tribe worried. They had lost their Matriarch and they would soon loose their Patriarch. The oldest original male villager was about to join his sister. During this time, Noa's heart was breaking. She had been preparing for this, but that was not making things easier for her or Obi. As he rested in bed during the day, they would talk for hours. They looked back on their lives, realizing that between the two of them, neither had a single regret on how they had lived. They talked about their children. How they had grown, how they would live for the rest of their lives. Obi occasionally got up, with help from Noa and his eldest sons and walked around the camp, taking in his friends, his family, their accomplishments. He would stop and tell his fellow villagers that they were doing a good job. That a shell picked up by a child was pretty. Near the end of Obi's life, he talked more than he had his whole life prior. He ensured that each and every tribe member knew he loved them and was proud of them.

One morning Noa woke to the find the sun shining brightly into their hut through the window. The light was focused on Obi and she turned in bed and kissed his cheek. "Wake up Obi, it's a new day to spend together." But Obi did not stir. She called his name a little louder and gave him a gentle shake. No response. She put her head to his chest and listened. There was no heartbeat. She raised her head and looked at the love of her life. He looked peaceful, a smile was on his face. She stroked his exceptionally handsome face. She threw her arms around Obi and let the tears flow. She was sad, but she was also relieved. For a long time, Obi had been living in pain, but determined to live. He would feel pain no longer. After some time, she slowly got up and dressed. She left the hut, closing the door quietly behind her as if afraid she would wake Obi. She went to join the others around the fire. Ahi saw her approach first and seeing his mother, he dropped his plate and ran for their hut. Aiko looked up and immediately followed. Tarita and Tiki started to cry and ran to Noa. Azizi and Solo looked lost, and Piku and Mua moved to them to comfort them. The tribe all slowly got up and went to Noa, offering comfort and hugs. Noa drank in their love, trying hard to use it to mend her breaking heart.

#166454 - 08/01/08 07:55 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 33
The Boys Reunite

Ahi and Aiko emerged from the hut, stunned looks on their face. As they started to walk back towards the fire, their wives ran to them and threw their arms around their necks. Hugging each tightly, the two brothers looked at each other and caught Piku and Coen eyes. They each gave the other a small nod and one by one, grabbing tools on the way, walked to the side of the mountain and started to chip away a piece of stone. They knew what needed to be done. There was no question. They would honor their friend, their father, the same way he had honored his sister.

Again, the men worked through the day and night, only stopping for a drink of water and a quick bite of food. They would not rest, they wouldn't sleep until their masterpiece was complete. Noa stayed with Tarita and Tiki that night in their hut as they comforted their mother. Noa and Obi's hut remained empty of life for the moment. Noa amazed everyone with her strength. Although tears never left her face, she was in complete control. She awoke the next morning to find that her friends had already prepared the tribes' breakfast. She was brought a plate of food to the hut and ate with her daughters. Obi's tribute was not yet finished and her sons did not want her to see it before it was finished. As people came and went from the hut that day offering condolences, she held herself together.

Just after lunch, Mua came to the hut. She hugged her friend tightly and told her it was time to lay Obi to rest. She helped Noa dress. Mua had retrieved Noa's wedding gown from their hut. Azizi and Solo picked flowers for their mothers hair. By the time Mua finished with Noa, she looked just as she had so many years ago on her wedding day, although her hair was a little greyer and her face showed more lines. She emerged from the hut and walked, with the help of Mua and Piku to the open grave. As she approached, she saw the tombstone for the first time and nearly lost her footing.

"Here lies Obi

Beloved Husband to Noa
Father to Ahi, Tarita, Tiki, Aiko, Azizi, and Solo
Grandfather and Elder
Patriarch of the Tribe
Provider to all

He was loved by all
He will never be forgotten
He will always be celebrated."

Piku reached out and steadied Noa. Together, with Mua on her other side, she walked the rest of the way to join her children. Piku left Mua with Noa and went to Obi's hut. He emerged a few minutes later with Ahi, Aiko and Coen carrying Obi high above their shoulders, wrapped in a blanket. As they approached the grave, they stopped in front of Noa and carefully lay him down at her feet. They slowly pulled the blanket back to show her that he had been dressed in the same handsome outfit he had worn at their wedding. Noa was overwhelmed and collapsed on the ground to kiss her husband one last time. Ahi moved to help his mother back up. As she rose, she reached out and placed a necklace on his chest. It was not as stunning as her own, but knowing that she would soon loose her husband, Noa had tried her best over the last few months to create a necklace for him as well. She wanted Obi to know, as he watched her from above, that she would always love him.

The four men pulled the blanket back over Obi's face and slowly laid him in his grave. After everyone had their moment and laid their flowers, Ahi and Aiko started to cover the grave. Tarita, Tiki and Mua led Noa away, all four women with tears in their eyes. Mua told Noa that she was taking her to the girls hut and Noa stopped, finding strength. "No" she said. "I want to be alone tonight. I want to be in the hut where Obi and I lived our lives, raised out children." She looked hard at Mua. "Please take me to our hut." Mua studied her face for a moment, the nodded and changed directions.

That night, Noa lay alone and cried herself to sleep.

#166455 - 08/01/08 07:56 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 34
A New Beginning

Noa awoke the next morning and refused to open her eyes. She didn't want to face the day just yet. Obi was gone, for the first time in years he was not beside her when she woke. She knew that she eventually had to get up, to see her children, to see the tribe, to tell her children that she loved them. But for now, just for a minute, she wanted to lie there, by herself, and imagine her husbands arms around her.

And then a smell hit her senses that made her start.

"Fabric Softener?" she said to herself. She hadn't smelled that in almost 50 years. And then she noticed another smell. Coffee, then the smell of her mother's pancakes came to her. She opened her eyes and sat up. She was in her bedroom. Her posters were on the wall, her laptop closed on her desk. She looked down and saw she was wearing the same clothes as the day she disappeared to the island. She jumped off the bed and ran to the dresser. She let out a scream. She was 15 again.

"Was it a dream? Was it all a dream?" she asked her reflection. "It couldn't have been, it was all so real!" She touched her lips. She could still feel Obi's kiss on her lips. She could feel his strong arms around her. She looked at her leg and saw the scar that had been there since the mice appeared on the beach. Bewildered, she sat for a moment. This just could be right, she couldn't be back home.

She ran to her door and wretched it open. It opened to a hallway, not a beach. Dazed, she went down the stairs and found her mother in the kitchen. She ran to her and threw her arms around her. "Oh mom!" She cried. "I missed you so much!" Her mother paused for a minute.

"Honey, are you okay?"

"I'm fine mom, just fine." And she pulled away to look at her mothers face.

"I take you forgive me then?" her mother asked.

"Forgive you? For what?"

"For the fight we had last night. You were so upset and never came out of your room. I was worried." The fight returned to Noa's memory.

"Oh mom, I'm so sorry. You were right. I'll keep the music quieter and after nine, I'll use my headphones, I promise." And she hugged her mother again.

"Who are you what did you do with my teenage, moody daughter?" she chuckled and Noa laughed with her.

"I'm right here. I think I've always been here. I just had to find myself." Her mother studied her.

"Are you sure you're alright, honey. You look a little pale."

"Yeah, I think I'm okay."

"Well, I made your favorite, pancakes. Come and eat." And they sat down. "How are you going to spend your Saturday dear? The Mall, the Movies?"

"No, I thought I would spend it with you, helping you around the house." Her mother choked a little on a pancake.

"That would be wonderful, I could use your help. I have some cleaning to do and I need to bake a pie for tonight."

"Tonight?"

"Yes, don't you remember? They new neighbors invited us over for dinner tonight, to meet them. I'm bringing desert. You'll still join your father and I won't you?"

"Yes, yes, I'd love to!" Her mother smiled. Noa kept busy during the day helping her mother, learning how to bake a pecan pie. She enjoyed the day with her mother but a sadness hung in her heart. She couldn't get her dream out of her head. It was just too real to her. She could still picture Obi and her friends and her children. She could smell the ocean, hear the birds. It was hard to believe it wasn't real. After they put the pie in the oven, she went upstairs to shower and change for dinner.

"Sweetheart, this is Mr. And Mrs. Riker."

"Hi Noa!" Said Mrs. Riker "it's a pleasure to meet you finally."

"Hi!" Said Noa.

"Unfortunately, our daughter is away at college so you won't be able to meet her today but our son will be home from work any minute to join us. He was anxious to meet all of you. Come and join us in the living room." Noa followed them into next room and sat down in a chair, her back to the hallway. She listened as the adults spoke for a while, getting to know each other. She found that she enjoyed the conversation. Normally, she would have hated this, but it wasn't bothering her this time. But even as she listened, her thoughts kept drifting back to her dream.

"Hi!" said a deep, smooth voice from behind her. A shiver ran down her spine. She jumped in surprise and whipped around to see a tall, fit young man standing behind her with a shock of glowing, silver hair. He put and hand out to her, intending her to shake it. "I'm Obi, Obi Riker. You must be Noa. I've heard so much about you."

The End

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter