Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy
30708 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30708 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96994 - 09/18/07 06:31 AM A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT
SaxyT Offline
Guru

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Okay, so after reading some of the wonderful stories here, and after some encouragement from Krystal, I thought it might be time again, after many years, to try my hand at writing again. So I've been working on my own little VV2 story and thought it was time to share it.

A little disclaimer, I haven't had nearly the time to read all of the stories here so if anything in this story seems like you wrote it already, it's purely fluke. But feel free to tell me, I'd love to read your own story and I'll gladly amend mine if I accidently copied something.

So here is goes, please let me know what you think and please, please be honest. If you all don't like it, that's fine, I'll remove this post and just keep writing for myself. I have five chapters so far but I think I'll just start with a little taste of the introduction and the first chapter. Can't wait to hear what you all think!

A Twist of Fate

Introduction

"Fine, Mom! I'll put some headphones on then!" Noa shouted down the hall as she turned back into her room and slammed the door.

"She's always nagging me. I can't stand it! I'm 15, I'm not a kid!"

Noa sat down at her computer and plugged in some headphones. She couldn't take another lecture on loud music from her mother. With her short blond hair, she was a pretty girl, but, like most teenagers, felt unappreciated, felt like she didn’t fit in. She never realized she wasn't the only teenager to feel this way. This made her feel very alone in the world.

"I don't have any real friends, no one appreciates me, and I can't stand it anymore! Why do I have to be here? There must be somewhere I fit in!"

Frustrated and sad, she slapped the lid of her laptop closed and flopped on her bed crying. "I wish I wasn't here" she sobbed as her tears carried her into a deep sleep.

A Twist of Fate

Chapter One, Part One

Screams and a loud splash woke Noa in a panic. "What was that? Did someone fall in the pool?" Without thinking of the danger Noa ran to her door and ripped it open. She went to run down the hall and make sure everyone was okay but after a few disoriented steps, she realized that the sun was blaring in her face, blinding her momentarily. "What the...? Why is it so bright in the house?" She took another step and looked down in shock to realize she was walking on sand. "What is going on here?"

She blinked hard a few times and started to focus. She saw a pool of water not far from where she stood and two figures slowly climbing out. Just as she meant to run from the strangers she heard a small voice behind her say "Noa, who are they?"

She screamed in surprise and whipped around to see four children behind her. Two of them looked to be around her age, the other two quite small. "Who are you? How do you know my name? Where am I?"

"Noa, stop it! Jem is terrified! Pretending you don't know us isn't going to help her!" This was spoken by the oldest of the four children, a pretty black haired girl.

"Stop what?! I'm not pretending! I have no idea who you are!" The little girl, apparently named Jem, started crying hard and hid behind the black haired girl.

"Now look what you did. I sometimes wonder if it was the right move putting you in charge just because you're the oldest. Seriously, Noa!" she said then she turned to the other children and said "Come on, lets go say hi to them".

Noa stood there shocked for a moment and then reason set in "Wait! Stop! What are you doing? They're strangers! They could be here to hurt us!" Jem started crying harder.

"Come on Noa," the oldest boy said, "We're in the middle of nowhere! They are either here to rescue us, or they need help too." Noa stood there with her mouth agape, unable to find words as she watched the four children moved towards the strangers. Figuring it was the best thing to do, she rushed to catch up with the children.

"Hi" said the black haired girl to the strangers.

"Hello!" said the woman. She was taller than average and lean with a shock of curly red hair. Her voice was soft and friendly. Noa started to breathe again. "My name is Bibi" she said "and this is my younger brother, Obi" she pointed to the man beside her. Noa looked at the man for the first time and her heart skipped a beat. He was gorgeous. He looked young and fit but had this unique looking head of silver head. His hair didn't at all make him look older; in fact, it more made it look like he was glowing all the time.

"I'm 24 and Obi is 20" Bibi continued. Noa shook her head. She hadn't realized she was staring. She was completely captivated by Obi. Clearing her head, she realized that he was looking right at her with a mix of curiosity and amusement. She turned a very dark shade of red. Someone nudged her ribs.

"Go on Noa, introduce us!" the oldest boy said.

"Uh, well, uh..." Noa stammered, too embarrassed to speak.

The boy sighed, "Girls, geez. I'm Piku, I'm 12. This is Noa, she's 15. This is Mua, she's 13" he indicated to the black haired girl, "and Coen, he's 9" as he ruffled the youngest boys hair, much to his protest. "And this little cutie" he indicated towards the little girl "is Jem, she's only 4". Piku was tall for his age. Dark skin, and long curly brown hair. The young boy, Coen, was small and too thin and had bright orange hair. Jem was cute and very small with long straight brown hair. None of the children looked like they could be related at all.

Bibi nodded to them. "Hello. Where are your parents?"

"We don't know." Said Mua, "they went to look for help and left Noa in charge but they haven't returned yet".

"Oh, well, when did they leave? They should be back soon", said Bibi.

"They left 7 months ago" said Piku grimly, looking at the ground. Then he put a hand to his face and whispered to Bibi "I don't think they're coming back".

"Well, how have you been living?" Bibi asked.

"They left us a bunch of food, but now it's almost gone!" said Coen for the first time. Noa looked at the little boy wondering what he was talking about. Why were they saying these things like it was common knowledge? Why were they saying she was in charge?

Bibi's heart sank for the children and she looked at her brother. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Obi nodded.

"Okay, listen. We're from the other side of the island. We were exploring the island when we entered a cave and accidentally slid through a hole," she pointed to the top of the waterfall "and landed in your lagoon. I have no idea how we're going to get back through there, but until we figure it out, we may as well all work together to survive, okay?"

The children nodded. Noa breathed a sigh of relief. At least while she tried to figure out where she was and what she was doing here, it seemed Bibi would take over the duties of leadership roles. One less thing for Noa to worry about.

"So, first we need a fire" Bibi continued, "Obi, I see some dry grass over there, you grab that, I'll grab some of this driftwood." Obi nodded.

"He's a quiet one, isn't he?" Noa thought, smiling to herself as he walked past her, still dripping from the lagoon's water.

As Bibi went to pick up some driftwood, little Jem detached herself from Mua's leg and ran after her, giggling. When Obi returned with the dry grass, he placed it on Bibi's driftwood in the fire pit and lit a blazing fire. He seemed to do it with ease and Noa found herself blushing again. Bibi added some more driftwood and then turned to everyone.

A Twist of Fate

Chapter One, Part Two

"Okay, obviously, food is dire", said Bibi.

"What does dire mean?" asked Coen.

Bibi chuckled, "Sorry Coen, it means that gathering food is the most important thing we need to focus on. But we also need some additional shelter. In our tribe on the other side of the island, children aren't allowed to work until they turn 14, so that means, for now, that is up to Obi, Noa and I to work on shelter and food." Noa looked up startled.

"You want me to work? Are you nuts?"

Bibi gave her a stern look, "Do you want to starve then?"

"No, of course not!"

"Then you're working. Our father was a carpenter and taught me a lot of the basics of what he knows so how about I start on a new hut for us, since there are 7 of us now" she said, looking towards the tiny hut that stood in the centre of the camp, "and Obi, how about you take Noa fishing." Obi nodded and stood up. He flashed Noa a smile and grabbed her wrist. She froze, fixated on his perfect smile. He tugged her wrist and nodded towards the ocean and she slowly started to walk.

"Bibi, I turn 14 tomorrow, can I help now?" asked Mua. Bibi smiled at her, "No, you can work tomorrow. Today, enjoy your last day of youth with the others" and she turned to start building a hut.

Down by the ocean, Obi fished with ease, finding fish immediately. Noa noticed that he swam like a fish, graceful and strong. She tried fishing but failed to come up with any fish. How did Obi make it look so easy? On her third try she caught a fish. While she carried it to the food bin, she realized that was easier than she thought. There was a trick to it and she thought she might have figured it out.

On her way back to the ocean a boy stops her and says "I want to be left alone at this research table, okay?"

"Uh, okay", she says and turns to follow Obi back to the ocean, "uh, what's your name?"

"Biggles" he calls over his shoulder and runs to the table. "Strange" thought Noa, "I never noticed him before". As she continues to walk to the ocean Piku comes running up to her at full speed.

"Noa, Noa! Some kid just stole some of our research!"

"Our what?"

"Our research! Our research!"

"And you want me to do what exactly?" Noa said, rather annoyed.

Piku's shoulders dropped, he was breathing hard from running. "Never mind" he mumbled, then turned and walked away.

Feeling a bit guilty, Noa shook her head and said to herself "Well, serves him right for bugging me". She went back to the ocean.

Noa and Obi fished for hours that day. Not once did she see him say anything, but she found it enduring. Once dusk started to sink in, Bibi called them over to the fire. She had cooked up some of the fish they had caught and said it was getting to dark to continue for the day. As they ate together, Bibi said that she and Obi would sleep by the fire until the hut was finished. The existing hut was just too small for all of them and it wasn't fair for them to intrude. Noa quite thought it would be nice to have Obi's muscled body keeping her warm but she decided it was best not voice this. Instead, she crammed into the hut with the other children and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

Aww, thanks guys! I'm glad you like it so far.

Well, here's the next chapter for you.

Chapter Two
The Birthday

When she awoke the next morning the sun was bright. Everyone seemed to still be asleep so she got up quietly. As she approached the door of the hut a wonderful smell filled her senses. She opened the door just enough to slip out and bring in minimal light to wake the others. She immediately noticed Bibi crouched at the lagoon, washing her face. Only then did she realize that she had no change of clothes, no makeup, and no hairbrush. She must look awful. She searched quickly for Obi, thinking she could sneak over to the lagoon unnoticed by him and clean up but her heart sank when she noticed him standing over the fire with crab on a stick and smiling at her. Too late. He nodded towards her sister and Noa seemed to understand what he was trying to say. She walked over to the lagoon and was not surprised when Bibi greeted her without looking up. It seemed like nothing could startle Bibi.

"Good morning Noa", said Bibi, "how did you sleep?"

"Uh, fine I guess, you?"

"Just fine, Noa" A grin flashed across her face as she looked up to see Noa looking at Obi. "He wanted to cook up the crab he caught yesterday for Mua's birthday breakfast. As soon as he gets it on the fire, he's going to wake the boys then take them for a walk in the woods while us girls bathe and clean up, you know, give us a little privacy. I thought we'd eat after and celebrate before I teach Mua how to research. Then I should get back to the hut while you and Obi find more food today."

"But I thought you said Mua was too young to work" Noa said, still trying to figure out how Bibi knew it was Mua's birthday. Bibi sensed this.

"It's her birthday, Noa, she told me yesterday. She turns 14 today so she's old enough to work now. And we really should start researching new ways to build, new technology, and new means of finding food if we're going to survive. Since we really need a new hut and still need much more food, Mua's perfect for the job. And she quite a bright young girl."

"Sure, I guess", said Noa, not really liking Bibi complimenting someone else.

"And so are you", said Bibi, picking up on Noa's resentment "look how quickly you learned to fish yesterday and you've become so good at it. You should be proud." Noa smiled a little. "Why don't you go wake the others." And Bibi turned back to the lagoon.

Noa felt better after a bath and sat down with the others for Mua's birthday breakfast. The crab was sweet and delicious and melted on the tongue. Everyone enjoyed it and sang to Mua. When they complimented Obi on his excellent cooking, he just smiled his sincere smile and nodded, never saying a word, but making his thanks clear. After breakfast, Bibi took Mua to the research table to start training and Noa followed Obi to the ocean. She still didn't like the idea of working but had to admit that fishing was quite fun. And she liked being able to do the chore with Obi, it kept him by her all day. The little ones spent the day finding mushrooms to add to the food bin and suddenly, Coen found a seashell. He rushed it over to Mua at the research table and she decided that they should keep in and show it off. It was a beautiful shell. She told Coen to tell the children to look for more. She would keep the first kind of each shell and use the rest for research. It didn't take long for the children to realize that there were also stones to collect, and bugs, and butterflies. In between retrievals, the children would play and laugh and chase each other.

Over the next few days, Mua talked to Noa a lot during meals and breaks and baths and Noa realized they had a lot in common. Mua had no idea what a computer was, or who Noa's favorite music groups were and thought that Noa was making these things up to make her laugh. Noa, realizing that Mua must have been born on this island, used this to her advantage and quickly became known as a story teller. She spoke a lot about her world during meals and the children loved it. Bibi would laugh and Obi would watch her with interest as she spoke. Noa liked this new role and was finding a great friend in Mua.

As she worked, Noa would stop and watch the children in between trips to the ocean and smile. She still wasn't sure that she wasn't dreaming, still not sure how she wound up here and why the children knew her, but she was actually enjoying herself. While she sorted out the mystery in her own mind, she was forming a family and friends that seemed to truly love her and accept her.

You Guys are so great!

Chapter 3, here we come!

Chapter Three
Coen's Discovery

A year passed and every day seemed the same and different in their own ways. The same chores needed to be done each day but yet, each day seemed an adventure. The hut was half way finished, Mua was getting closer to research advancements and Noa was completely relaxed in her role as provider and seemed to grow closer to Obi each day, although he still has not spoken a word. Noa wondered if he was even capable of speech. But she feared that he viewed her as a friend or a sister when she thought more of him. He wasn't much older than her, she told herself, only 5 years. But at 16, she figured she still had time. They were both adept at fishing now and as long as she could continue to share this one thing with Obi, she was happy. But she still couldn't bring herself to talk to Mua about Obi. At home, she always spoke with her girlfriends about boys. Mua had become closer to her than any of her friends at home had ever been, yet she couldn't speak of Obi to her. And Noa couldn't figure out why.

While she was heading back into the ocean one day she heard Coen call out from the near by coconut trees. She rushed over to him and found he had discovered a gigantic coconut. It was too heavy for her to lift alone so she called out for Obi who was near to help. Together they carried it back to the camp. Bibi tried to open it but the outer shell was simply too tough. Mua sorted through the tools they had gathered but couldn't find a single tool to open it. Perplexed and excited, the group looked at each other for a solution.

"We could try to soften it in the water" said Bibi, perking up.

"Or, we could throw it off the diving rock!" said Noa. They both looked at Obi as if to ask him what he thought they should do. He looked at each girl and smiled. Looking at Noa, he nodded towards the diving rock. She smiled back, "okay, let's do it then!" Together they picked up the coconut and worked together to get the large mass to the top of the diving rock. They stood together and with all their might, threw the coconut off the top.

Bibi ran to the coconut and shrieked in excitement as Noa and Obi scrambled down the rock to meet her. "It worked, it worked!" she cried out, "It cracked a little and I think I can wedge a stone in here!" She grabbed a nearby narrow stone and managed to crack the coconut in half. Noa screamed and jumped up and down. "I can't believe we did it!!" She turned to Obi who smiled at her and suddenly reached out and gave her a hug.

Completely shocked, Noa didn't know what to make of this. She looked in Obi's twinkling eyes and returned his smile. She was completely unaware of Bibi grinning beside her or the others running up to see what happened. Was Obi trying to tell her something? Or was he just simply saying "good job". She backed away and turned to others. "How about a party tonight?" she said, elated. And that night, they all celebrated, dancing, singing, laughing and enjoying the sweetest coconut they had ever tasted and drinking the smooth milk. Mua was seen constantly grabbing bits of coconut skin and shell and stowing them in the research hut, but she always returned quickly to continue with the party. They stayed up late, enjoying each other, enjoying their new family.

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 08:19 PM)

#96995 - 09/18/07 06:40 AM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: SaxyT]
SaxyT Offline
Guru

I'd love you to PM me your idea Krystal, just curious if you're right! You're a smart cookie so my hopes are high with you!

So our litte tribe is becoming a family and Noa is feeling right at home. What could possibly make life any better? Well, let's find out shall we?

Chapter Four
Piku Comes of Age

More months passed and life continued for tribe. Piku would be turning 14 shortly and already expressed a desire to learn carpentry from Bibi. Bibi promised to teach him on his 14th birthday and this kept Piku happy, but anxious to grow up.

Noa was starting to forget that she still needed to figure out how she got here. She felt so at home with these people, on this island. She still remembered her parents and was missing them, but a part of her didn't want to find to out it was a dream and wake up. She was accepted here and the island was changing her, for the better. She wasn't angry anymore. She wasn't lonely anymore. Instead of looking for compliments, she found her self encouraging the little ones when they would find another shell or bug or mushroom. Even though food needed to be gathered everyday, they hadn't worried about food in a long time. There were always plenty of surpluses. And despite the small camp they had, there was never an issue with space or privacy. Obi took the boys for a walk every morning while breakfast cooked and the girls cleaned and then the girls would go exploring after breakfast while the boys cleaned up. They would take breaks from chores to swim in the lagoon, or simply cool their feet in the refreshing water. They spent every dinner under the stars by the fire. And soon, the hut would be finished and Bibi and Obi would no longer have to sleep outside. Life was good here.

Although Noa wasn't the oldest, it was clear that the younger children looked at her and Bibi and Obi as parental figures and she had long since formed a special bond with each of them. She would still tell many stories and loved to teach the children. They were growing so fast though and before long, they would all be of age to work. Little Jem proved to be the best at catching butterflies, Coen could scout a rock from a mile away and Piku still enjoyed chasing after them all day, despite being almost 14.

One day, while taking a break, Noa went over to Mua at the research table and asked to talk. "Sure", said Mua, "I can take a break now. What's up"?

"Uh, well" stammered Noa. Mua's face lit up.

"Are you going to finally tell me about Obi?"

"What?!" screeched Noa, louder than she meant to. She blushed and frantically looked around to see if anyone heard her.

"The day that Obi and Bibi showed up I noticed how you looked him. I've been waiting for you to talk about him but I didn't want to embarrass you and bring it up."

"You what? Was I that obvious?" whispered Noa.

"Well, sort of, but I just knew you. Bibi noticed too, she was quite happy to see you were interested in Obi" The color in Noa's cheeks deepened.

"You talked to Bibi about me?" Noa said, slightly hurt by this.

"Well, she sort of came to me one day. She knew that I had known you all my life and had grown up with you. She wanted to know. She thinks he likes you too." Noa froze mouth open in shock. Mua chuckled, "Well, don't look so surprised, you had to have noticed the way he looks at you."

"But, he has never said anything to me!"

"In case you hadn't noticed, he never says anything, ever. I wouldn't take it personally. Have you ever really looked into his eyes? He doesn't need to say anything, his eyes say it all. According to Bibi, he never really said much growing up. She never really worried about it, just seemed to be his way. He didn't need to speak, so he didn't bother. But he's apparently very intelligent and has many talents." Mua paused and blushed "And he's really cute".

"Oh no", moaned Noa, "you like him too?"

"Well, actually" and Mua lowered her voice "I kind of like Piku, even if he is a year younger than me." Noa grinned. The two friends spoke for a while longer and from that day on, spent much time huddled together talking about they two boys in their lives. Noa started to worry less about the 5 year age difference. In less than two years, she would be a grown woman by tribe standards and it looked like Obi didn't mind waiting, even if he never said so.

Yes, the girls are very much in love, but do the guys feel the same way?

So, Noa has a breakthrough and realizes that she has a true friend in Mua and shares her secret. How will life continue?

Chapter Five
The New Researcher

One day, while Noa was taking a break from fishing, Bibi came up to her.

"Hey, how are doing?" She asked Noa.

"Fine. You?"

"Just fine. But I'm a little worried about our research. It's a lot for Mua to do alone and she's working hard, but one person can only move so fast. I was thinking, since our food supply is really getting up there, that you might like to spend some time each day helping her, and some time fishing. Piku will be of age soon, but he really wants to learn to build and I could really use his help. This hut is taking forever alone and we still need to start working on that broken down hut on the south end of the beach. What do you think?"

Noa paused for a minute. She didn't like to think about spending less time with Obi each day, but Bibi made a good point. And it would be nice to work beside her best friend for a while. "I don't have to completely give up fishing will I?" she asked, thinking this was the best way to word it.

Bibi smiled at her. "No, you'll still have your time with Obi, we could just all use your help and you're smart. You'd have no problem with research. You can help Obi whenever you want or whenever he needs your help."

Noa blushed a little, hating that Bibi saw right through her question. "Okay, I'll head over to Mua's table right now then." And she got up and started over to her. She stopped briefly and turned back to Bibi. "Bibi?"

"Yes?" she responded, looking over her shoulder.

"Thanks." Noa smiled at her.

"You're welcome" Bibi grinned.

Noa walked over to Mua and for the rest of the day, Mua started to teach Noa everything she has learned thus far. Noa struggled a bit on some concepts but she found that she was learning pretty quickly. She thought she might enjoy her new role. She was going to miss her time spent in the ocean with Obi, but she knew she didn't have to give it up completely. And with the two girls researching together, the progress was much quicker.

A month later, Piku celebrated his 14th birthday. Obi cooked another wonderful crab breakfast. Bibi spoke of some of the traditions of the old tribe. They had one hut that was only for lovers. The two youngest giggled at this. She said that she hoped, now that she had Piku's help that once they finished the second hut, the broken hut by the ocean could be this special place. The two could fix it up quite nice. She spoke of births in the tribe. It was tradition for new mothers to nurse their children for the first two years of their lives, and only nurse. This was important to them and their development. After the two years were done, the parents would name their children and the mother would continue her duties. It was the responsibility of the older children to keep young ones busy while those of age worked. The two youngest giggled again but Noa thought this sounded wonderful. She pictured herself walking around the camp, holding a little baby and snuck a glace at Obi. He caught her eye and smiled at her.

As they enjoyed the crab, Coen spoke up. "I think we should make it tradition to have a crab breakfast for every coming of age birthday and every marriage. It's so good!" The others laughed in approval and they all looked at Obi. He grinned and nodded his approval at the suggestion. The tribe now had their own tradition.

After breakfast and clean up, Bibi took Piku over to the unfinished hut and started his training. Excited, he caught on quickly. Much progression was made on the hut that day. Things were looking up for the little tribe.

lol, yes, maybe some feelings are returned, but will he do anything about it?

Here's you next clue!

Chapter Six
The Healer

A few months passed and Noa had turned 17. One day while stopping to grab some food she noticed Obi standing on the edge of the ocean looking at the water. Curious, she walked over to him. As she neared him, she let out a gasp. The ocean was covered in green algae. It was impossible to fish! Obi turned to look at her, with shock and fear on his face. The ocean was their only source of food right now!

Noa stood there for a minute looking back and forth from Obi to the ocean and suddenly it dawned on her.

"Wait here! I think I know what to do!" She turned and ran, leaving Obi looking perplexed. She rushed to the research hut and scrambled inside. She knew what she was looking for, but where was it? At last she saw it, stuck in a corner. She grabbed the skin from the giant coconut they found and rushed back outside to Mua. The two examined the tough skin that caused them so much trouble way back and they came to an agreement. They could use the tough skin as a rope to help them shimmy up the coconut trees! Together, they quickly braided the tough fibers and Noa grabbed the rope and dashed back to Obi. She explained what they had discovered and handed him the rope, hoping he understood. He took the rope, looked at her intently and promptly turned towards the trees. She watched as Obi approached the tree, threw the rope around it and using his strong arms and legs, climbed straight to the top of the tree. A few seconds later a nice big coconut fell and Obi climbed back down. He picked up the coconut and looked at Noa, smiling. She squealed in delight and ran over to him. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him, proud of herself, of Mua, and of Obi. The tribe had made their first major discovery! Before she realized what she had done, she felt Obi's free hand wrap around her waist and felt a soft kiss on the top of her head. She pulled away and looked at him. He smiled at her with his bright smile and intense eyes and nodded towards the camp. She understood. She turned and ran to tell the others what they had just discovered, Obi following with the first coconut. That night, everyone celebrated, but deep down Noa was worried. She knew the coconuts wouldn’t last forever. They would do for now but they either had to find another method of gathering food, or they had to figure out how to clean up the ocean. Or both. She would worry about it tomorrow at the research table.

The next morning Noa awoke to Jem shaking her frantically, crying. "Noa, Noa, Coen's sick! Coen's sick!"

"What?" asked Noa, sitting up.

"Something's wrong with Coen, come quick!" Noa rushed outside with Jem to find Bibi and Obi crouched over Coen, looking grim. He was pale and sweating. He was moaning slightly and clutched his stomach in obvious pain.

"I don't know what's wrong" said Bibi looking distressed. "We had a healer in our village. I never thought of it. I don't know what to do!" Noa looked at Obi. He looked back at her and she knew she was on her own with this one. She looked around the camp for a minute.

"Okay" she said, "here's what were going to do. Bibi, grab a cloth and wet it in the cool lagoon and put in on Coen's forehead. It will help with the fever for now. Mua, bring some water. Obi, take Coen to the broken down hut. It may not be fixed yet, but its better then nothing. Piku, take Jem away, keep her busy. I don't want her to worry and I don't want her sick too. And I'll be right back, I'll meet you at the hut Obi." Obi nodded and easily picked up the boy. Mua and Bibi ran to the stream, following Noa’s orders. Noa took a deep breath and ran over to one of the nearby plants. She examined the plant for minute and realized this wasn't what she needed. She ran to the next plant. Still not right. She kept running to all the plants around the camp, starting to panic. None of these seemed right. She stopped for minute to think and then saw it. Way on the other side of the beach, by the dry grass, was one more plant. She ran as fast as she could. She examined the plant and cried out in relief "This is it! This is it! I know this right!" She grabbed some leaves from the plant and ran back to the broken down hut. Out of breath she handed the plant leaves to Obi. There was no need to explain, he understood what she was trying to do. She stumbled outside while Obi took over and clutched a stitch in her side. She waited anxiously outside with Mua while Bibi helped Obi. Minutes passed, they felt like hours. Mua paced while Noa started to regain her breath. Finally, Bibi and Obi emerged. Bibi started to talk but Noa saw it in Obi's eyes first.

"He's going to be okay" Bibi said. "What ever that was, it worked. His fever is dropping and his pain is slowly going away. He needs to rest, but he'll make it. You saved him Noa. You saved his life!" Noa smiled, relieved, still panting a little. Obi walked over to her and hugged her, kissing her on the top of the head again. Noa's heart skipped a beat. Bibi watched the two intently, happiness in her eyes.

"I think you just became our healer Noa" said Mua, nothing but pride in her voice for her best friend. That night, Obi carried Coen out of the hut to sit by the fire while the tribe celebrated their discovery of medicine. A few days later, Coen was back to normal, playing with Jem, and finding his infamous stones.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 06:01 PM)

#96996 - 09/18/07 06:46 AM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: SaxyT]
SaxyT Offline
Guru

At the urgent request of little artist, I'm whacking you all with a few more chapters tonight. I'm happy you are all enjoying it so far and one of my favorite parts are coming up in the next few chapters so enjoy! There's much more to come, I just wrote chapter 23 and am starting to wind the story down so I'll keep posting as fast as I can. Enjoy!

Chapter Seven
People Acting Strangely

As more months passed, Noa was about to turn 18. She was becoming excited. She would be considered a woman soon. And maybe, Obi might make his intentions clear. She talked excitedly with Mua about this as they spent most of their days at the research table. Noa was still determined to find another method of gathering food. She still helped Obi harvest coconuts at times but he still refused to say anything and just merely smiled at Noa while she worked with him. But to Noa, this was still enduring. It was this mysteriousness about Obi that made her realized she was truly, deeply falling in love with him.

The tribe continued to prosper together, and the new hut was nearly complete. In a matter days Bibi and Piku would finish the hut and start on the broken down hut. Everyone was excited. These advancements together as a tribe were proving to be rewarding for everyone and drew the tribe closer as a family.

One day, while taking a break to eat some food, Noa overheard Bibi and Piku sitting by the lagoon talking. She hadn't meant to overhear, it just happened. She just suddenly heard Piku say "Really, you think we could actually finish the hut in 3 months? That's a tight deadline Bibi. We'll really have to push it!"

"I know Piku, but I really want to have it done it time. It'll be our gift" but Noa heard Mua call her and went to her before she heard Bibi add "a perfect gift to match to Obi's"

Back at the research table, Noa was perplexed. What on earth were they talking about? 3 months, a gift? A hut as a gift? And then it dawned on her. She was turning 18 in 3 months. But to give a hut as a gift, that didn't make sense. She brushed the thought away, thinking she must have misunderstood and returned to her work.

But over the next few weeks everyone started acting strangely. Bibi and Piku were working harder and faster than Noa had ever seen. Mua couldn't seem to make eye contact with her. And Obi seemed to be taking more frequent breaks than usual, swimming in the lagoon and diving deep down for minutes at a time. He would resurface and then disappear into his and Bibi's new hut for a while then go back to work like nothing happened. And the little ones, Coen and Jem, were bringing fewer treasures to Mua and Noa. They seemed to be taking them to Obi's hut.

Noa tried not to notice. The fact that everyone seemed to have a secret was bothering her. Maybe she was just playing tricks on herself, she thought one day. She was probably imagining things. But as her 18th birthday drew nearer, everyone just started acting stranger.

Coen however, now 12 and soon to be of age, was starting to spend more time with Noa and Mua. He was showing interest in science and research and hoped to work with them in 2 years. Whenever Jem was keeping herself busy, catching butterflies, Coen would sit by the research table and watch the girls. Taking in everything he could and learning as much as possible without actually working. Noa was amused by this and would sit and talk with Coen by the lagoon for hours, encouraging his interest and helping him along.

Chapter Eight
A Woman Emerges

The day before her 18th birthday, Noa started to worry. She had not seen Obi all day, except at breakfast. He disappeared into his hut after breakfast and as far as Noa could tell, never came out. In the afternoon, Noa approached Bibi and stopped her.

"Is he alright?" she asked Bibi, "Should I go and check on him? I know how to heal him".

"Who?", Bibi asked, truly confused.

"Obi! He hasn't come out all day, he must be sick!"

Bibi laughed, understanding finally. "Oh, no. He's not sick. He's just taking the day off. He had something to do today."

"Oh, well, that makes sense then." Noa said turning back towards the research table and thoroughly not understanding. She was so distracted that by the end of day, she didn't even notice that Bibi and Piku had nearly completed the hut. Feeling exhausted, she ate dinner in silence, noticing the absence of Obi. As she wondered if she should take him some dinner and check on him, she noticed Bibi get up and take a plate of food over to the hut. She emerged a few minutes later and Noa felt resentment. She really wanted to see Obi. Sad, she went to bed early that night and had a fitful sleep.

When she awoke the next morning, she found herself alone in the hut. She was groggy from her bad sleep and not feeling much better. She stepped outside the hut and her mood changed immediately. Everyone was by the fire, waiting for her. Apparently, everyone had awoken early to prepare her birthday breakfast, including Obi, who was smiling from the back at her. She didn't need to see the fire, she could smell it from the hut.

"Where did you get crab from? We haven't been able to fish for ages!" She exclaimed.

"Obi saved the last few especially for this day" Bibi explained. "Once we realized we couldn't fish, Obi took them from the storage bin, just in case we still couldn't fish by this special day. He was up early to cook them."

"And you finished the hut!" shrieked Noa, noticing for the first time.

"Yup, up at dawn working on it. We were afraid the banging might wake you but you were out cold." Said Piku.

"Everyone, this is wonderful! You really shouldn't have!"

"Oh yes we should have!" said Mua stepping forward to hug her friend. "Today you become a woman, it's a special day. And just look at everything you've done here for all of us! You learned to fish when we were starving. You figured out how to get the coconuts when we couldn't fish. You learned medicine to save Coen. Should I go on?" Noa beamed and looked at her friends, her family. She knew it was going to be a great day.

And now... the Creme de la Creme!

Chapter Nine
The Surprise

Mua took Noa's hand and led her to the fire for her breakfast. Noa was shocked to see the food. There was the succulent crab, fresh coconuts, even berries and fruits that the children found in the forest. Everyone pitched in for the best breakfast their little tribe had ever seen.

"If I may have a word before we eat"

Noa stopped and looked around. The voice was unfamiliar; she had never heard it before. Where did it come from? And then she saw Obi emerge from the small crowd and approach her.

"Did... did you say something?" she asked him.

"I asked if I may have a word before we eat". His voice was deep and smooth and it sent shivers down Noa's spine.

"You spoke!" she gasped.

"Yes, of course" he said laughing.

"But you never talk!"

"I like to mean what I say and choose my words carefully. And, well, between my chatty sister," he glanced at Bibi who blushed, "and your wonderful stories, there was never really any need to talk, was there? Until now." Noa's heart leaped into her throat and she forgot how to breathe. "I've been waiting three years to ask you this. I wanted to wait until you were 18 but simply can't wait another day more. In my old tribe, when two people were in love, the man would give the woman a gift. This gift would act as a symbol of love and eternal union. It would be a means to propose. To propose marriage."

"Yes?" Noa squeaked.

"So," Obi continued, reaching into his pocket "This is my gift to you." And he pulled out of his pocket the most beautiful necklace that Noa had ever seen. It shimmered in the sun. It was made of colorful carved stones, seashells, and what appeared to be jewels. "They are sea stones, from the very bottom of the lagoon" he explained.

"You made this?" Obi nodded. "That's what you were doing yesterday?"

"I've been working on it for many months. I wanted to ensure it was ready in time for today. Jem and Coen helped collect the shells and stones." He knelt down. "Noa," she shivered when he spoke her name, "I have loved you know for many years and I can tell from your eyes that you love me as well. I would like to ask you, in front of all of our friends, if you would be my wife." Noa opened her mouth to reply but no sound came out.

"You're turning blue Noa" laughed Mua "you may want to breathe before you respond!"

Noa found her breathe and threw her arms around Obi "Yes! Yes! Of course I will!" Obi leaned forward and kissed her for the first time. It was a beautiful, passionate, loving kiss. Noa's knees gave out but she didn't care. She knew that in Obi's arms, she could never fall. The tribe cheered and clapped and Noa had completely forgotten they were still there. Obi pulled back but kept his arms around her.

"And the rest of us have a gift for both of you!" said Piku excited. They all parted to give Noa and Obi a clear view of the newly rebuilt hut by the sea.

"I don't understand." Noa said.

"The hut is for the two of you. If you are going to be married, I'm sure you would like a little privacy. It only seemed right to follow tradition of Bibi and Obi's old tribe and give couples their own hut. Besides, after 18 years, you must be sick of sharing a hut with me!" he jeered.

"Are you serious? You're giving us the hut!" she exclaimed. And as she took a good look at the hut, she realized that they had all gone too great lengths to make it special. It was a beautiful hut, decorated in flowers and shells. Noa kissed Obi again and then rushed to hug the rest of the tribe and thank them. Every sat down to enjoy the wonderful breakfast and Bibi said that it seemed only fair that everyone had the day off.

Noa and Obi spent the day together, relaxing, talking and truly getting to know each other. She found out that unlike elaborate weddings back at home, on the island, weddings were small and intimate. A simple ceremony, where a loved one and a witness united two people forever. Noa suddenly became sad. She hadn't thought about home or her family in so long. And now, she was going to be married and her parents wouldn't be here. Obi asked what was wrong, sensing her sudden change in mood. Noa hesitated. She had not told anyone on this island about her sudden appearance. They thought all her tales of electronics and inventions were made up stories. But Obi was the love of her life, surely he would understand. She poured out her heart to him and he listened with nothing but love in his eyes. When she finished, she looked at him, scared of his response.

"Well," he said "it's quite possible really! If you had truly wished to be somewhere else, and wished it with all your heart, maybe you did go somewhere else!"

"You believe me?"

"Of course I do, I love you! That doesn't mean that that's really what happened but I believe that you believe it and that all that matters. Besides, you're here now and we have found each other. I wished to find the woman of my dreams and before I knew it, I fell down and waterfall with my sister and there you were!" With his arm around her, she leaned into him a cried. Cried from relief of finally telling someone her thoughts, her fears, and not being judged. He held her tight and they sat in silence for a long time.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 06:38 PM)

#166425 - 08/01/08 06:40 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: SaxyT]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
LadyCFII's Note: To keep each post from being too large, I'm posting the rest of SaxyT's story in consecutive posts from here to the end. The chapters and author comments, of course, were all written by SaxyT.

======================================================================

Thank you all for the kind words. I originally started to write this for myself. I've been so stressed out lately and my dear forum friend, Krystal, advised that it might be a good outlet to relieve stress. I found that in releasing my stress and tension, I started to pour my heart and soul into the story. Writing for hours and a time and not even realizing what I was typing. Now that you have all said such nice things, and have been so encouraging, I feel so much better writing this. I'm no longer writing this just for myself, this is for all of you too.

So, with that said, here is some more for you.

Chapter Ten
The Wedding

The next week, the whole tribe was running around, each with an important task. Obi and Noa's wedding would be in a few days and there was still a lot to do. Piku started helping Obi fetch coconuts so there would be plenty for the celebration. Bibi helped Noa sew a new dress while Mua doubled up on the research to cover Noa. And Coen and Jem were busy picking flowers for Noa's hair. Bibi was always keeping the hut by the ocean clean and tidy. Since Obi and Noa were not yet married, they had not moved into the hut yet. Noa was most excited about this. As the day drew near, Noa started to feel nervous. Not in a bad way, more of an excitement. She couldn’t believe she was going to be married. She wanted someone to walk her towards Obi on the wedding day, just like a father would back at home. She asked Obi what he thought about and he smiled and nodded. He had gone back to not saying much, but Noa didn't mind. She knew that it simply meant that when he did speak, it would be important and special.

She had thought a lot about it over the past week and after lunch, called for Piku and Mua.

"I was wondering if you two would help me with something" she asked them.

"Sure, anything!" they both replied at the same time. They looked at each other and smiled. Noa, seeing the look, smiled to herself. Mua would be 18 soon and shortly afterwards Piku would turn 18. Maybe another wedding would happen soon.

"Well, we need a witness, and, Mua, I was hoping, as my best friend, as my sister now after all these years, that you would be our witness."

"Of course I will! I'd be honored." and she hugged her friend tightly.

"And Piku, well, I really want someone to walk me towards Obi. To sort of, give me away to him before Bibi performs the ceremony. I was hoping, as my friend, and the next eldest male, you would do the honors?" She asked nervous, not knowing what they would think of this request. Piku thought about this for a moment and then a big smile broke across his face. He stepped towards Noa, hugged her and kissed her cheek.

"I would love to!" he said, then snuck a look at Mua and went back to work. Mua blushed. "He's really sweet isn't he?" she asked Noa. Noa smiled and nodded and walked her friend back to the research table.

On the day of the wedding, Noa was a tumble of butterflies. She was beyond excited and little Jem, jumping around energetically, was only adding to Noa's excitement. Mua brought breakfast to Noa in the hut and sat and ate with her. Noa didn't want Obi to see her before the ceremony. After the two friends ate, Mua helped Noa dress in her new dress and put flowers in her hair. Bibi kept the others busy, cleaning up and preparing for the ceremony. Obi disappeared into the woods. He came back with a large bouquet of flowers, a gift for Noa. When everything was ready, Piku came to tell Noa and Mua. Mua left to assume her position for the ceremony. Piku left briefly and returned with Obi's bouquet.

"Obi picked these for you this morning. He wanted you to be able to hold them during the ceremony." Noa looked at the beautiful bouquet and tears welled up in her eyes. Piku chuckled, "Now, now, don't start crying. You know Noa, I really think of you as a sister, I always have, and love you dearly. I have grown to really like Obi. He is a wonderful guy and I couldn't be happier for the two of you" Noa cried harder and hugged Piku.

"Thanks" she managed to say through breaths.

"We should get out there" he said, wiping her tears from her face. "You look beautiful" Noa smiled back and turned to follow him out of the hut.

The ceremony was beautiful and flawless , except for Mua crying through the whole thing. But Noa knew they were tears of happiness. After the ceremony and the feast Noa and Obi went to see their new hut. Bibi explained to Jem and Coen that Noa and Obi needed time to 'talk' now that they were married and were not to be disturbed. Coen was old enough to know better but Jem just nodded and ran to play. Noa and Obi spent the rest of the day in their new hut.

#166427 - 08/01/08 06:42 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter Eleven
The Gift

Weeks passed and everything had returned to normal. Noa and Obi worked during the day and retired to their hut at night. One day, Obi walked up to Noa and Mua at the research table, a sad look on his face.

"What's the matter Obi?" asked Noa. He nodded towards the coconut trees and Noa followed him. She gasped as they drew near. The coconuts were almost gone! "Okay" she said turning to Obi, "Don't panic, just let me think a minute." She turned and ran back to Mua, telling her what she saw. Mua smiled. "What are you smiling for?" Noa hissed, "We're almost out of food and we still haven't figured out how to clean up the ocean!"

"Come with me, I want to show you something." Mua said calmly and Noa followed her towards the lagoon.

"You see this dirt here?" Mua said, "I think we could plant vegetables here. We just need to get more water onto it. More than we can carry. But, look at this." She moved towards the narrow part of the lagoon. "I was thinking, if we could get Piku and Bibi to block this off with something, the water will flow to the dirt patch instead. What do you think?" Noa stared at her.

"Mua, you're a genius! I think it might work! When did you figure this out?"

"A few days ago, but I was trying to sort out a few more things before I told you."

"Brilliant Mua, absolutely brilliant" Noa said with pride. "Quick, you go talk to Piku and get them working. I'll go tell Obi. He'll need to start figuring out how to plant crops" She hugged her friend and ran back to Obi.

"Mua figured it out, it's all going to be fine! Piku and Bibi are going to... are going to..." but she couldn't finish. A strange feeling fell over her. She was going to be sick! She ran to the nearby bushes, not wanting Obi to see her and heaved. Obi followed and put a hand on her back. He looked at her with concern.

"Obi" she said after she minute, regaining her composure. "I think... I think I might be pregnant!" A slow smile formed on Obi's face. He jumped up and hugged her, hugged her so hard he lifted her off the ground. He set her down and kissed her. "I take it you're happy then! It's a good gift to give you!" Noa laughed. Obi picked her up and carried her to Mua and Bibi to check her out. After the two women checked her over in the hut, it was confirmed. Noa was pregnant!

#166428 - 08/01/08 06:46 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

And the story continues...

Chapter Twelve
The Baby

Eight months later, Noa and Mua, now 18, were working at the research table training Coen, now 14, Bibi and Piku on science and research. The dam was finished and the crops were thriving. With Noa about to give birth and take leave to nurse the baby, Bibi and Piku thought it would be best to help with research for a while, until they figured out what their next construction project would be.

Obi was busy working the crops when suddenly, Noa was bent over in pain.

"Ooh!" she cried, "Ooh, it hurts!"

"What's wrong?" asked Piku, concerned. Mua and Bibi looked at each other and shouted together, "She's in labor!" Obi heard the girls cry out and ran over to Noa. He picked her up and carried her to the hut. Mua and Bibi followed. After shooing Obi out of the hut, ensuring they would take good care of Noa, he joined Piku outside the hut and paced. Every scream, every shout, Obi went to rush into the hut but Piku stopped him, "She's fine, really. The girls will take care of her, just let them work!"

Hours later, Noa's cries of pain suddenly stopped. Obi froze and looked at the hut, terrified. Piku put his arm over his friends' shoulder and together, they waited and listened. And then they heard it. A cry. But not Noa's cries. A tiny, small, strangled cry. Bibi ran out of the hut and hugged her brother, tears streaming down her face.

"It's a boy! And he's perfect! I'm an aunt! You're a father!" And she hugged Obi again. "Go and see your son" she said pulling away.

In the hut, Obi went over to Noa, who was holding their son. He was a beautiful boy, with a shock of dark red hair. "He looks just like you." Bibi said to Obi. "Well, you before your hair turned silver that is!" she added laughing. Obi picked up his son and stared at him. He was sleeping, and gorgeous, and perfect all at the same time. He look down at Noa and kissed her. When he lifted his head, a big tear was falling down his cheek. Noa smiled and nodded.

Over the next few weeks, Noa nursed their little boy. She wanted so badly to name him, to give him his personality, but was constantly reminded by Bibi that she needed to wait. While sitting by the lagoon one day, bathing her baby, Mua approached her.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked Noa.

"Sure, what is it?" Noa replied.

"Well, I was wondering if you would be my witness?"

"Witness for what?" Noa said distractedly. But then it dawned on her. "No, really? But Piku's not 18 yet, not for a few more months!"

"I know, we're going to wait for the ceremony until he turns 18, but he couldn't wait to ask me!" Mua said, smiling. "And Piku is going to ask Obi to give me away for me". Noa set the baby down carefully and turned to hug her friend.

"Of course I will! How could I possibly say no!"

#166429 - 08/01/08 06:46 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 13
Another Wedding

A year had passed and Piku and Mua's wedding day was approaching fast. One morning, while Noa and Obi were sleeping, Piku came running to the hut, pounding on the door.

"Obi! Obi! Get up quick! Come quick!"

Obi threw on his clothes ran out of the hut, Noa following with the baby. They ran to the crops and Noa's heart sank as she found that the crops were destroyed. They were mangled, and bitten and almost all gone.

"It was the birds" said Piku grimly. "The birds ate the crops. We have no food! There are barely any coconuts left! What are we going to do?"

But this time it was Obi who saved the day. He put up a hand to quiet the crowd and putting a hand on Piku's shoulder, pulled him towards some twisted vines on the north side of the camp. Obi picked up the vines and walked back towards the crops. Piku, not knowing what to think, followed Obi's directions. Obi took the vines and started twisting and working the vines. Quickly, a figure became obvious. He twisted more vines and then went to grab some dry grass. When he returned, he used the remainder of the vines to tie the grass into a skirt. He then removed his shirt and placed it over the figure and stood back. Everyone looked for a minute and then all started laughing. Obi had created a mix between the ugliest and cutest scarecrow any of them had ever seen. But it was a scarecrow nonetheless and would keep the birds away. Noa walked over to her husband and kiss him deeply. "Brilliant" she said, "you just saved our crops". That night, the whole tribe celebrated. The crops had been replanted and would be ready to harvest soon and with a wedding in a few days, everyone was happy.

Mua and Piku's wedding proved to be just as beautiful as Obi and Noa's. A perfect day, another happy couple. Bibi agreed to move into the research hut with Coen and Jem and gave the second hut to Piku and Mua. The two disappeared into the hut. Noa caught Obi's eye and they smiled at each other, remembering their own wedding night. Their little boy would be weaned soon and they both couldn't wait to have another baby. After everyone cleaned up from the wedding, Obi went over to Noa and put his arms around her. He kissed her passionately, deeply. Her knees weakened and she let herself fall deeper into his strong grasp. She was taken back to her 18th birthday and the first time Obi kissed her. She steadied herself and her grip on their son and looked into Obi's eyes. She understood his look and discreetly followed him back to their hut.

#166430 - 08/01/08 06:47 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 14
The Little One Named

A month had passed and it was time to name Noa and Obi's son. Everyone gathered for the event. Noa was excited, she had been thinking of names for two years. But when she went to say the name, none came to her. She looked up at her husband, asking for help. He smiled and said one word, "Ahi". And so Ahi was named.

The next day, Obi was eating lunch with Noa, watching Ahi play around the camp. Noa had been feeling off for a week, but this time, she didn't need Bibi or Mua to confirm.

"Obi" she said looking at him. He looked back. "It's happened again Obi." He looked confused. She patted her belly. Noa laughed as she saw the light bulb turn on in his eyes. Obi leaped up and grabbed her and jumped around. "We did it! We're pregnant again" He yelled as loud as he could. Noa laughed harder and kissed her husband.

Piku and Mua turned from the research table to look at their friends. Piku put an arm around his wife. "He doesn't say much" he said, "but when he does, it's really special." Mua gave a small smile and Piku noticed her look. "Don't worry" he said hugging her. "It will happen for us, it's just not our time yet." Mua looked at him, unsure, but she smiled a little wider. "Go congratulate her, she's practically your sister, Mua, you should be happy for her. She will be for you when it's our time" Mua nodded, tears threatening her eyes. She took a deep breath and went to hug Noa. Piku followed and hugged Obi.

Almost nine months later, Noa gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. With purple hair and her fathers bright smile, she was the pride of the whole tribe. Two years later, it came time to name her. Again, put on the spot, Noa blanked. Obi was prepared. "Tarita" was all he said.

One night shortly after, while in bed, Noa looked at Obi. "Obi, where did you come up with Ahi and Tarita's names?" she asked.

"They are the names of my mother and my father." He said simply. Noa suddenly looked sad, but Obi was happy. "They would have loved to have seen them. They would have loved you."

"Do you miss them?"

"Of course I do. But I'm not saddened by it. I celebrate them in my heart."

"Do you think they're still alive?"

"I'm sure they are Noa. They were quite young when they had Bibi and I, much like ourselves. But I'm not sure I'll ever see them again." He studied his wife's face. "And I know your parents miss you, and love you too. Don't be sad for them. Celebrate them. They are here with you, right here" and he touched his wife's chest, right where her heart was. Noa smiled, a tear on her cheek.

"How come you never told me before those were the names of your parents? How come Bibi never said anything?"

Obi smiled wider. "Bibi thought it was best that I told you and well, you simply never asked before". Noa laughed and smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry" she said, "I should have asked you sooner."

"Don't be sorry" he said and drew Noa close to him. "I knew you would ask when you were ready to."

#166431 - 08/01/08 06:47 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Phew, marathon posting!

Chapter 15
More Suprises

A few days later, with Noa back at work, her and Mua took a break to cool their feet in the stream.

"I have something to tell you" said Mua.

"What's that?" asked Noa

"I think I'm pregnant." Noa looked at her friend.

"Really? Are you sure?" she asked getting excited.

"Yes, I'm sure. I haven't told Piku yet, I wanted to tell you first." Noa jumped up and hugged Mua.

"Mua, this is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you! And even better! I'm pregnant again too!" Mua hugged her friend back.

"We're going to be pregnant together? Oh, those poor men of ours, how will they ever cope?" The two laughed and cried and then decided it was time to tell their husbands the good news.

Nine months later, Mua went into labor. It was a hard delivery and a long one. Noa and Bibi helped her through while Obi waited outside with Piku, this time, the men's roles were reversed. Hours passed and suddenly Noa appeared to deliver the news. But, as she went to speak, her face suddenly paled and she doubled over in pain. "Oh no, not you too, not two in one day! You're not due just yet!" cried Piku.

"Must have been the excitement" gasped Noa, in obvious pain. Obi picked up Noa and carried her to their hut while Piku went to see his wife and tell Bibi that Noa was also in labor.

That day, both women gave birth. And two beautiful little girls joined the growing tribe. For two years, the best friends enjoyed their time nursing the children and watching Ahi and Tarita catch bugs. Jem was now of age and joined the ever growing fleet of researchers in the tribe. Obi remained the current sole provider of food and loved his job. He could be seen on occasion straightening the shirt or fixing the skirt of his beloved scarecrow. Piku and Obi often stopped their work to watch the two women with love and pride in their eyes. Noa found herself thinking about home more lately, but she wasn't sad anymore when she thought of her parents. She thought about how they would be so proud of her. She had found a wonderful husband, she was a mother, a scientist, a healer, and farmer. She had grown and matured. She no longer wondered how she would ever get home. She missed her parents, but she was home. Her life was here, with Obi and their children and the tribe.

#166432 - 08/01/08 06:48 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Halfway there everyone!

Chapter 16
The Mice

A few days later everyone gathered for the naming of the two girls. Mua and Piku had decided on Aida for their daughter. This time around, Noa didn't even try to speak, she simply looked at Obi expectantly. "Tiki" he said softly. Noa looked up in shock. "After your mother" he added to Noa. The two girls became the best of friends very quickly. Aida had long black hair just like her mother and Tiki had thick brown hair.

"All of your children come out with completely different hair colors" Bibi joked to Noa one day. "And none of them blond like you! Are you sure they are all Obi's?"

Noa laughed, "Of course they are. And they're beautiful. My mother's hair was purple and my father's was brown. I couldn't let all of our children look like Obi now could I?" The two laughed some more.

"Bibi?"

"Yes, Noa"

"Do you ever feel lonely? I mean, I have Obi, Mua had Piku, there's no one for you?"

Bibi smiled a sincere smile "Noa, you are all my children as far as I'm concerned and your children are my children. I'm the mother here, for everyone. That's my role. Sure, I get a little lonely at times, but I don’t mind, really. Hey, maybe someday my prince charming will just walk onto the beach. But if not, I'm perfectly happy with the family I have now. Who needs a husband when I have all of you?" Noa smiled and hugged Bibi. She realized for the first time that Bibi really was like a mother to her, and a friend.

Later, Coen was walking on the beach when he noticed a small, thick canvas sack that had washed on shore. Excited, Coen gently opened the sack and was astonished to find a few handfuls of starving, frightened mice writhing around in the sack. One of the mice bit Coen hard on the arm and he dropped the sack from the shock. The mice rushed out and ran straight into Ahi and Tarita who were coming to see what Coen had found. The mice bit both of them in defense and scurried away. Tarita screamed and Obi, hearing his daughter's cry came rushing forward, Piku close behind.

It didn't take long for the men to figure out what happened as they watched Coen stagger over, holding his arm, and then fall forward in a dead faint. Ahi and Tarita became silent and then promptly passed out. Piku looked around and saw the mice around the food bin. Calling for Noa, he grabbed a stick and went after the mice. Noa came running to Obi's side but just a few feet away, stepped on the tail of an unseen mouse which reared up and bit her. She paused for a moment then looked in her husbands eyes and she fell over.

Obi hollered for Mua and Bibi. The two came running, brandishing their own sticks for protection. They had learned much watching Noa heal and assisting in 5 births. The two worked quickly, with Obi's help to get everyone safely into the huts with the two remaining children while Piku fought off the mice outside with the help of Jem. Once the mice were gone, Jem ran to the hut and dove to Coen's side. She threw her arms around him and started crying, "Is he going to be alright? Are the others?"

"They'll be okay now, Jem" said Mua. "We've dressed the wounds and applied an ointment. They need some rest but all four should recover quickly.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" Jem cried into Coen's chest. Obi, Piku, Mua and Bibi looked at each other in surprise.

"I think we might have another wedding soon" whispered Piku into Obi's ear. Obi smiled and nodded and went to comfort Noa.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter