Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy
30708 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30708 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#227466 - 01/11/11 08:02 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Vampess]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
That thread was not locked to avoid discussion, which we have always encouraged here, or even criticism of the game and/or LDW. It was locked because people were addressing each other in less-than-friendly terms, rather than sticking to a discussion about the game and LDW. The posts that began the thread, including yours, Vampess, have remained intact and readable. The thread will be back and unlocked as soon as possible. We have been fairly swamped with work surrounding the launch of the game. blush

#227468 - 01/11/11 08:08 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Vampess]
emri Offline
Master

Loc: Land of oz,Ks
Im starting to enjoy the game more than i did,when i started playing it.I didnt get a pregnant heathen,but im sure Arthur will fix that.i dont understand people that think all games should be for children.There are all kind of websites with childrens games.When my grandson spends the nite,he likes nick or cartoon network.I like the hand statue.People that dont believe in god are called heathens.I think Arthur did a great job.

#227469 - 01/11/11 08:35 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: LadyCFII]
Vampess Offline
Trainee

Originally Posted By: LadyCFII
It was locked because people were addressing each other in less-than-friendly terms, rather than sticking to a discussion about the game and LDW.

LadyCFII, I dare you to put the posts back, and let the others decide.

But okay, then it'll conveniently take a couple of weeks to review, what, 8 posts? I'm not going to dredge that topic up, I'm done with the game. I had a hard time as it was to explain to my family: 'Ehh, there's a bunch of heathens and you have to destroy their totems'. My boyfriend got hung up about the ridiculous glow coming from the statue. I'm too embarrassed to play this game in front of anyone, or even mention it.

#227472 - 01/11/11 08:49 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Vampess]
Larou Offline

My feedback is very bad, I lost my money for a game with no action, no real interraction.

Some people loves to wait for a whole day to start something, I don't.

I don't understand why this game is so slow with a so poor AI and so ridiculous rules: to complete the statue or other "dares" there is no other solution then wait AN ETERNITY for some lasts pieces. Where is the X10.000 time button ?

About the "rascal"... how a little boy can terrorise up to 100 adults villagers; it's ridiculous, boring.

VV5 was my 1st LDW game but certainly the last one, there is nothing fun to wait front a computer waiting for... what ? I saw much more funny games on Youda or Kongregate... free

#227478 - 01/11/11 09:04 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: VVFanatic]
mmc Offline

I love how the children sit next to the heathen master farmer and builder and comfort them.

#227480 - 01/11/11 09:07 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Rockmower]
Jami Offline
Master

Loc: California
I kind of like it and I kind of don't. Like the other VV games once the main goal is met I get bored with it, pause it, and forget it. I wish there was random, continuous quests to keep the game fresh. And I don't mean the collectibles. I mean things you can build, do, destroy, etc.

Edited by Jami (01/11/11 09:08 PM)

www.jamisings.com

#227484 - 01/11/11 09:29 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Jami]
Tmac Offline
Master

I like the game , it is a step ahead for the evoloving vv series. That said, I can see why alot of people had been upset with the theme. Whenever you have something to do with a religious nature that will happen. But my issue with it has to do what has happened to indegenous population of conquered lands. The view in the U.S. is probably different then in europe. We have seen it first hand here , some americans have native blood in their families too. In my family it was a loss of a culture and in the past generations something to be ashamed of . It was only whispered about ..... dont tell anyone . But now, not may people care who your gggrandparents were. Mine were not HEATHENS , that needed to be converted. They were just my family ......

#227493 - 01/11/11 10:35 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Tmac]
Arthur Administrator Offline
Lead Designer

Loc: San Francisco
This game has nothing to do with early colonization of North America, or the natives that were exploited, etc. It is a fictional game about a magical island called Isola, and this chapter deals with traumatized and lost inhabitants that do not believe in the player's existance and are independent of your control.

Oh and it is just a game, not a great philosophical debate, as most of you understand perfectly. As far as "God Games" go, this is a very tame and uncontraversial offering. If this game makes you want to debate religion, well I guess I am asking for trouble smile but go ahead, just keep it VERY civil.

Oh, thanks for the kind words from those of you who like VV5, and those of you giving more critical feedback, thanks for that too. We do listen.

I read the posts that Barbara moved away, and I understand why they were moved. On any forums, posts get locked, and moved/deleted just to keep order and reduce flamewars (or overly heated arguments) before they flare up. We are a tiny group of people, so if we lock a topic or whatever, it is because we cannot do this perfectly or spend a huge amount of time waiting for the perfect moment to intervene. Sorry in advance if we delete or lock threads that we think are going bananas! Barbara is very patient-- I usually just delete entire threads because I don't have time to sort things out or split threads.

Have fun! smile

Edited by Arthur (01/11/11 10:43 PM)

#227496 - 01/11/11 10:55 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Arthur]
Tmac Offline
Master

As I stated in the begining of my post , I do like the game. It a big step head for the vv series. grin I only made point using the natives in this country because it is were my family is from. VV5 is about converting heathens, take it or leave it. You can play it or not . And like everyone LOVES to say, Isola is make believe place....... magic can happen there. What happens on Isola stays on Isola ! laugh

#227505 - 01/11/11 11:39 PM Re: So what do you think of VV5 New Believers? [Re: Tmac]
Cindy522 Offline

Originally Posted By: Tmac
VV5 is about converting heathens, take it or leave it. You can play it or not . And like everyone LOVES to say, Isola is make believe place....... magic can happen there. What happens on Isola stays on Isola ! laugh

The sad part is- that really is NOT what its about - but it is MARKETED as such.

Arthur -- I think you have the game you envisioned... but people are mis-understanding what its meant to be because of terminology that is used CONSTANTLY throughout the game.

Reference to the player being the "hand of god" is said once. We see the word Heathen over and over and over, as well as seeing a representation of "a heathen" over and over.. seeing and interacting. While we do see the hand statue - as a representation that the PLAYER's HAND is "the god"- its not something to locate and deal with throughout the game, the way the heathens and the word heathen are.

The graphics included in the announcement/ what you see when you first come to the game from the email announcing it say Heathen over and over... and "God Powers", etc.

This is just human nature --- which happens to even the smartest of us... we remember what we see more than what we read... we remember what we saw or read many times more so than we remember something that we saw once.

===========
While playing virtual families, I totally "got it" that *I* was the power... they talked to me, they emailed me, addressed ME, etc.

Perhaps just "Powers" instead of "god powers" would suffice.
Certainly, I realize "player" and "dissillusioned" are weaker terms that do not have the same punch as god power and heathen... but, I suggest to you that there IS something that would work.

======
if the game really were about converting heathens to believe in God - fine, use those terms and people can take it or leaev it. BUT, thats not your vision, and you reveal it part-way into the game.

I suggest that in the future, you run the STORY by other people, as well as the technical aspects.

I have NO IDEA of the testing and such you do. I assume there is beta testing to look for glitches in the game, etc... but... I wonder --- do you leave out the flurishes then? Did your beta testers get to see the write-up about the game (the blurb used before purchasing), and see the intro video, and the mid-game video?

Certainly, some game aspects will not apeal to some and that has to be let go... BUT, I really think all of this could have been solved with some attention to the facts of human nature. No one can just SAY "this is a tadpole" and then draw goldfish, and repeatedly use the term goldfish, and use other goldfish-related phrases and items... and expect people to think "this is a tadpole"

It just doesnt work that way. (Even for well-educated scientists enjoying a leisure time activity)

Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter