Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 224 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy
30708 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30708 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#225566 - 11/06/10 06:50 PM Re: Just wondering why there isn't much diversity [Re: Brina]
Krystal Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: The 'Merica
Originally Posted By: Brina
Originally Posted By: MochaJew
Originally Posted By: Faeron
i meant that i would like for it to be "diverse" but easy programming meaning if that's what they gotta do to have a game right now then i'm happy.

and i agree with the part where you were saying which groups to add...

but thanks for the computer programming explanation!

When I said diverse, I meant in both skin colours, cultures, foods, maybe music, etc. You and I have spoken, so I know that you will understand that as a Bi-racial woman, when I say race, I human race and the various hues therefore. Since I raised this question, not only has Jazzo made a mod of africn american villagers, but someone send me one for Native Americans thatI am also going to try.

I don't have Virtual Villagers, I have Virtual Family, but I just asked the same question in the Virutal Family forum (new here) and someone directed me here. I, too, would like a diverse group of people in my adoptee pool. Not just white, not just black, but all kinds of realistic skin colors: Asian, Native American, Eastern Indian, African, European, etc... I'd actually been hoping for an African American skinned proposal so I could have an interracial couple, but when I kept getting only white proposals, I started to wonder if they didn't exist.

Does the developer ever make fixes/downloadable additions/updates? I would love a diversity update, because I find it really unfair to only have white characters in the game.

What it really comes down to is this: Would you rather have an update to add skin colors, or would you rather have new games keep coming out?
Reminder of the post explaining the how massive an update/change this would be: Click here
*disappears back into her writing corner*

#225615 - 11/08/10 11:45 PM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: kittenzan62]
Taori Offline

As a Native person and a big fan of The Blue Lagoon books, as I am playing these games I get a little uneasy with the cognitive dissonance too. Partly because the illustrations as well as the actual environments in the game look like a mixture of South Sea Islands and South American Indian. I find myself doing the same trick in my mind that Japanese readers do when manga illustrations of Japanese characters show them as blonde. I "know" the villagers are brown in "reality". I would love to actually, not just in my mind, see brown-skinned people on these islands. I honestly think I would prefer for them to take time out to update this, and then create new games. Of course not everyone will agree, I know.

Edited by Taori (11/08/10 11:47 PM)

#225657 - 11/11/10 01:17 PM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: Taori]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
As has already been pointed out numerous times, there are several mods which can be used to change the looks of the characters (and objects) in your game(s). There are also several highly skilled modders in our community who delight in filling specific mod requests. laugh

Also, as has repeatedly been pointed out elsewhere, it would require massive programming to build diversity into the games. While it is possible, it would drive the cost of the games far beyond what the price point they have now. It would also greatly prolong development time.

In other words, it is possible, but not necessarily practical for the format of these games.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#242800 - 04/04/19 08:12 AM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: Rockmower]
Phaedra Offline

I'm new to the forums but this topic interests me. I have no idea though if this thread is dead. I can't find a date for the most recent post or is it really 10 years old?

It seems to be the very first VV game I played, maybe it was the Lost Children? Anyway, when the villagers mated the young came out as a great combination of the two parents. No like the VVO2 Android version I've been playing. All the characters are very boringly the same.

I don't understand why you couldn't put in other islanders in all of these games of different nationalities. Think of the children who like playing these games and they NEVER see a representation of their own heritage. This is 2019, it's time you guys got up to speed here.

Thanks for reading.

#242817 - 04/24/19 01:28 AM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: Taori]
casi Offline

Loc: IDAHO
i got so excited when i got a blonde baby. grin

#242885 - 06/29/19 08:46 PM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: casi]
CasiBK Offline

I started playing Virtual Town because there is the opportunity to choose characters of color (even though they all have afros but I'm assuming that's because there are no developers of color). Anyway, it is nice to see different characters but the game has become repetitive and boring. I've completed all of the collections, quests, buildings, etc. What's next for the game?

#242886 - 07/01/19 05:51 PM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: CasiBK]
Hydra14 Offline
Consigliere

Originally Posted By: CasiBK
I started playing Virtual Town because there is the opportunity to choose characters of color (even though they all have afros but I'm assuming that's because there are no developers of color). Anyway, it is nice to see different characters but the game has become repetitive and boring. I've completed all of the collections, quests, buildings, etc. What's next for the game?

They've been apperently working on an update for Virtual Town for long while now. We don't know when it will be released.

As for people of color, Virtual Families 3 is going to have POC with different hairstyles.

#243296 - 07/28/20 12:14 AM Re: Just wondering, why there isen't much diversity [Re: Hydra14]
RainbowHead94 Offline
Trainee

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: Hydra14
Originally Posted By: CasiBK

They've been apperently working on an update for Virtual Town for long while now. We don't know when it will be released.

As for people of color, Virtual Families 3 is going to have POC with different hairstyles.

I have vf3 in beta and there are more skins tones and stuff but still with certain ones (like rainbow girls) they still have a certain "look" smirk but.. still beta. Not sure what if anything will change

Edited by RainbowHead94 (07/28/20 12:14 AM)
Edit Reason: there their and they're

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter