Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy
30708 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30708 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#216438 - 02/12/10 05:26 AM Please try this before posting new topics about the game
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Those of you who have been here for the release of previous games, know how very very crazy it can be around here in the first few weeks! This is an appeal from us, your moderators and admins, to help us keep things under control.

When we get too many duplicate posts it clogs the board, and makes it very hard for people to find the information they are looking for. frown It also clogs the server, and slows things down for everyone. shocked

What we are asking, is that before you post a new topic asking a question, or commenting on the game, you carefully look to make sure someone else hasn't already asked/talked about it.

We do want your questions and comments!
We even encourage them. All we're asking is to help us keep down the amount of duplicate (oh yeah, and Off Topic) posts. smile

Here are some ways you can help us:
  • First, just quickly scan the forum to see if the question/comment you have is already present.
  • If you don't see it, then use the "Search" function (located towards the right side of the header bar above),
  • If you still don't find what you're looking for, go to the game guide (I'm sure there will be one).
  • Finally, if you still can't find what you're looking for, THEN go ahead and start a New Topic.

By following these few steps, you will make it easier for not just the mods, but also for yourself and your fellow forum members. laugh laugh laugh

===========================================================
This is a quickie example of how to use the Search function:
  • Click the Search button
  • Click Advanced
  • Under Forum To Search, click Virtual Villagers 4: The Tree of Life
  • In the blank field on the top right of the Search box, type a single "key" word of at least 3 letters. To find this topic your key word could be posting.
  • Leave the default search of in Subject and body.
  • Skip the part about date ranges for now.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the search window and click Submit.
  • The search engine should return a list of topics that contains the keyword you are looking for. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

#216668 - 02/15/10 10:48 PM Re: Please try this before posting new topics about the game [Re: Rockmower]
Lady Emz Offline
Expert

Loc: London, England.
Another way to keep duplicate posts down, is to title your post clearly.

For example, if you're having trouble with Puzzle 3, rather than posting, "plz help", you could title your post, "questions about puzzle 3".

The titles to the post are important and if you can give information in the title, it makes it easier to find information and easier to search for information.

It will also help keep the duplicate posts down and cut out a lot of work for the mods. smile

#216690 - 02/16/10 04:45 AM Re: Please try this before posting new topics about the game [Re: Lady Emz]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Oooh! Good point Lady Emz! Thanks for sharing this valuable advice! laugh laugh laugh

It might also be a good idea (when possible) to make sure there is a searchable word in the title. The search engine is pretty limited, so you may want to try a word or two to see what it likes.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#216703 - 02/16/10 11:44 AM Re: Please try this before posting new topics about the game [Re: Rockmower]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
Another thing is to make sure that make sure that you've finished your post before submitting it. If you realise that you left out something or accidentally hit 'Submit' instead of 'Preview Post' don't start a new post, but instead use the 'Edit' link to add to the original post. The admins will usually combine two consecutive posts if they see them, but it is a lot of extra work for them to change them manually.

#217679 - 02/24/10 12:28 AM Re: Please try this before posting new topics about the game [Re: arnie]
HappyPlayer Offline
Guru

Loc: CA, USA
[!] Just want to remind everyone that when posting in the threads, 'non-answers' like "I don't know yet" and "haven't gotten that far" are not truely helpful. frown

Originally Posted By: Excerpt from: LDW Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
No frivolous, duplicate, or multiple consecutive posts.

Posts should be meaningful and constructive and add to the discussion in a positive way.

Avoid making multiple consecutive posts. You can edit your own posts for up to 6 hours after you make them, and it's just as easy to click the Edit button as it is to click the Reply button.

Frivolous posting makes the forums hard to read for everyone, and creates significant workload for the Moderators and Admins. Some examples of the kinds of frivolous posts to avoid: One or two-word posts (especially "lol" or other text-message abbreviations, "ditto," "same," or "me, too"), posts announcing that you're the first (or second, etc.) poster in a thread, posting that you aren't a Newbie anymore, or posting unhelpful responses, such as "I dunno, but I'm sure somebody does."

For more info on these and other Forum policies, or just more tips on posting, click here. grin

Thanks Everyone! laugh

#220738 - 03/27/10 07:29 PM Re: Please try this before posting new topics about the game [Re: Rockmower]
MochaJew Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Anywhere but here
So I am suppose to read post for 30 or 40 minutes, giving myself a headache before I can find out that my question hasn't been answered yet? How about just directing the poster to the topic that answers their question?

#220824 - 03/30/10 01:26 PM Re: Please try this before posting new topics about the game [Re: MochaJew]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
No, Mocha,

As suggested earlier, it's best to use the forum's search facility to look for the topic first. Provided the other suggestions in this thread are followed, such as labelling the topic sensibly, and frivolous posts are avoided, you should either be able to find a relevant post quickly or see that no-one has mentioned your particular issue before, so you can go ahead and start a new thread.

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter