Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 107 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186929 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217027 - 02/21/10 05:36 AM All things bright and modded! (mod ideas etc)
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Remember that costume contest way back when? Well, sometime during that I saw someone say, "There will always be mods, right?" Well, that could go two ways. all the people with the software able to do mods like that could do 'a few outfits here, a few outfits there' and we'd have mods all over the place. OR...all the mod makers could work together and make one big cohesive mod that has everyone's idea's in it. But to do that, we need some kind of system. I have an idea but I'm not sure if it will work or not. So here's what I propose:I make a small modification to the image files adding one of the outfits I designed and one of the outfits my sister designed(she, unfortanetly didn't have a chance to enter). I will then look through that slide show with all the outfits and designers and look for the first person who doesn't have an outfit in the game. I'll find out if they are a modder or not, and if not I'll mod in one of there outfits for them. I'll continue untill I find a modder, and then they'll repeat the process till they find a modder to pass the ever growing mod onto, and so on, untill we have a completed mod!
Is this a good idea? Does anyone have a better one? It's just a suggestion, we don't necessarily have to do it.
P.S. if we do this we'd only put in one outfit per designer and then if there is room we can go back and add more.

Edited by Rockmower (02/21/10 08:16 AM)
Edit Reason: Change title and make post sticky

#217029 - 02/21/10 06:09 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Havetia Offline
Guru

Loc: Somewhere in NC
That sounds good none of my outfits won. I am a modder But unfortunately I'd be unable to make any of mine become real. If I could choose which one I wished in the mod, would someone put it in for me?

Now if any one wants head mods I'm great at making head mods. I can make them any color you want and add ones from past VV games.

#217030 - 02/21/10 06:20 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Havetia]
Sammygirl99 Offline
Expert

can i help?

#217031 - 02/21/10 06:29 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Sammygirl99]
Krystal Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: The 'Merica
I actually think this would be a fun idea. I'd love to see one of my entries in the game...
I'm a modder... but I don't know that I'd be able to make the outfit work from all those angles (plus I fail at digital drawing that fits in with the LDW style).

#217043 - 02/21/10 08:07 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Jamie001 Offline
Adviser

txmom2. I had trouble reading your post. Could you please seperate one large paragraph into smaller ones please. Here is an example.

Extra outfits are always nice. Like extra hair colors. I am not a modder, so I don't know how to make something like that. If it is fesable, I will use it though smile

Good luck.

~Jamie

#217044 - 02/21/10 08:10 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Krystal]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Uh girls? You might actually want to play the game before you start thinking about changing it!

Seriously, at this point we haven't even thought about mods yet. We'll have to see what pops out of the woodwork before we make a decision.

For the time being, we'll ask you to confine all your discussion about mods, and the mods themselves to one thread. Tell you what...I'll change the title of this one, and make it a sticky post. Thanks so much for bringing this idea up txmom2.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#217046 - 02/21/10 08:27 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Rockmower]
Jamie001 Offline
Adviser

Originally Posted By: Rockmower
Uh girls?

Guy here but I can see how the name could fool you.....

~Jamie

#217050 - 02/21/10 08:54 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Jamie001]
Lailai Offline
Master

Loc: Ldw Forums
I was thinking maybe LDW games should have a in-game option to download mods etc, like a extras menu where you can search for a mod, you click install and you can revert back to original mod at any time..

#217052 - 02/21/10 09:24 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lailai]
Caristiona Offline
Expert

Loc: a tiny town in Oklahoma
I am in no way shape or form a modder. that being said i agree with what rockmower said let's play before we decide what needs modding grin though i must admit i loved the VF mod that highlighted the collectibles, weeds, etc.

#217055 - 02/21/10 02:17 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Caristiona]
Lady Emz Offline
Expert

Loc: London, England.
I agree with Rock that we should just wait to find out...

...but sometimes it can be hard to see things in these games. For example, in Plant Tycoon, the mod that made dead leaves red was a lifesaver.

I also like having mods made too, for example, in VV2, I had the 'Princess Dress' in three different colours.

I was a bit confused about txtmom's post however...

Did you want a 'Village' Mod where everyone who wants to has a piece of clothing in it? So, everyone puts in one design then someone makes the whole mod?

Or were you just trying to keep mods that were made to one thread?

I think people will make their own mods and some will offer their mods to the public like they have with the other games. I also think, like in the other games, people who can make mods, will try to make mods 'on demand' for other people.

It is a good idea to keep all mod designs/requests to one post and you could also use the PM system as well.

#217059 - 02/21/10 05:24 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Originally Posted By: Lady Emz
I think people will make their own mods and some will offer their mods to the public like they have with the other games. I also think, like in the other games, people who can make mods, will try to make mods 'on demand' for other people.

I would normally agree, however in this case it would be diferent. If someone, for example asked Lewanda to put her chocolate dress into the game(which someone will eventually) and she complied, then her dress would be in the game. But what is the chance that you get a villager wearing it? And that's only one outfit. If people keep requesting different outfits then we'd eventually have alot of outfit mods floating around. My idea would compress all those mods into one big mod and have a bunch of people working on it, rather than one person take on the task.

Also, I do agree that we should play the game first before we change it, I was just saying that if/when we do it, it needed to be in an organized way.

Edited by txmom2 (02/21/10 06:16 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#217060 - 02/21/10 05:28 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
First, and foremost, my apologies to jamie and the other guys who are involved with this thread. blush

Now to (hopefully) clarify a point or two. I think what txmom2 was suggesting is like a "chain" mod. She will do one outfit, then pass it on to another person who would do the next mod etc etc until all the outfits are completed in a single mod.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that there shouldn't be mods, they tend to be quite helpful in most cases. All I was saying is that maybe everyone should get a chance to actually look at the game before they start planning their mods.

I don't buy a car and immediately start making overhaul plans until I first see what needs to be overhauled. It's always a good idea to take it out for a test drive, then decide what I want to fix.

Finally, I doubt we could keep all the mods in a single thread even if we wanted to. It would be confusing, and make it very difficult to find a particular mod once they start appearing. What I'm saying, is that for now we will keep all the conversation about mods in this thread.

Later we will determine how to handle the actual mods themselves. We may just allow them to be posted openly in the main forum, or as was done for VF, we may set up a separate place for them to go.

That being said, all I have left to say is COME ON MONDAY!!!

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#217064 - 02/21/10 05:43 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Jamie001]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Originally Posted By: Jamie001
txmom2. I had trouble reading your post. Could you please seperate one large paragraph into smaller ones please.

Sorry about that. I was actually having trouble reading it myself. I was having these weird tecnichal difficulties where I'd type one letter then the computer would scroll back to the top of my post. Then I would scroll back down to type some more, and it would immediately scroll back up. Finally I got tired of all the scrolling up and down so just tried to type without looking at what I was typing. Of course, out of that you get a post that's run together and doesen't make much sense-ugh it started happening again! Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it my computer or the website causing the problem? Does anyone else have this probelem?

#217066 - 02/21/10 06:05 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Jamie001 Offline
Adviser

Originally Posted By: txmom2
Originally Posted By: Jamie001
txmom2. I had trouble reading your post. Could you please seperate one large paragraph into smaller ones please.

Sorry about that. I was actually having trouble reading it myself. I was having these weird tecnichal difficulties where I'd type one letter then the computer would scroll back to the top of my post. Then I would scroll back down to type some more, and it would immediately scroll back up. Finally I got tired of all the scrolling up and down so just tried to type without looking at what I was typing. Of course, out of that you get a post that's run together and doesen't make much sense-ugh it started happening again! Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it my computer or the website causing the problem? Does anyone else have this probelem?

That happens to me a lot when I use quick quote. Not sure why.

Just using reply seems to work. Also, you can always type your message out in another program, and then copy\paste here.

This post has gotten off topic.... feel free to delete it.

~Jamie

#217067 - 02/21/10 06:20 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Jamie001]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Thanks for the explanation and advice. But this is kind of off topic.

#217069 - 02/21/10 06:34 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Nora Willow Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Eastern Isola
I think you ment you wiould make a big mod instead of making bunches of smaller ones so you could save all the downloads? Just trying to clairify it smile

#217079 - 02/21/10 08:06 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Nora Willow]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Yes, but also everyone can work together on it rather than just one person take on the huge task.

#217083 - 02/21/10 09:19 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Gamemastr1 Offline
Graphics Wizard

I have tried to mod outfits in the past. It is not an easy task.
First of all, in VV3 for example, there are 3 different files for just 1 outfit.
actions - 17 poses
bodies 1 - 16 poses
bodies 2 - 16 poses
49 total poses

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. As a "Modder", I enjoy seeing other peoples mods as well. Outfits, however, seem to be the most challenging of all things to mod, which is why most of my mods are mods that do not involve the villagers. They are most challenging and if something isn't lined up just right, villagers heads "slip" off their bodies. There is foot and hand positions to contend with as well. Maybe some of you have better software than I do, better equipped for this process.

I am only posting this so everyone knows up front what is really involved in modding outfits. So much can go wrong in doing this and it can potentially make the game look weird. Care, caution and patience is needed when taking on this task. Good luck on your endeavor. grin I'll stick to the maps and collections/upgrades. smile

#217113 - 02/21/10 10:44 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Gamemastr1]
Lady Emz Offline
Expert

Loc: London, England.
TxtMom:
The idea for a community-orientated chain mod is a nice idea smile
Good luck with it! I'm just hoping there'll be a 'Princess' dress in there somewhere smile

Gamemastr1:
Agreed. My partner (who did mods for VV2)found it challenging to do his mods even they were relatively simple. He spent a lot of time making sure everything matched up ok both on the file and in the game-play.

It is quite a job.

Rockmower:
Is it Monday yet? smile I can't wait to see the villagers clothes and hair styles, I'm sure I'll pick my favourites to mod very quickly if there's a huge potato-head out there! wink

#217118 - 02/21/10 11:36 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
xman Offline
Adviser

Loc: London, England
I see some problems. Firstly, the package will eventually grow too big. Secondly, a lot more people want outfits, lots of people didn't get the chance to enter the contest. Thirdly, the likelyness of seeing your new outfit is slim.

I am a modder and artist, and these kinds of things are not easy to achieve. You would need exact grids and correct shading to match the style. Also people would want hair, face paint, skin tones, etc.

You probably should wait until the game has been out for a few weeks, then work in getting a team together (artist, modder, colourer, shader, etc)
But even then this will take time. I'll send you a message with what I suggest you do to organize this.

#218185 - 02/26/10 06:05 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: xman]
Elf-girl Offline
Expert

Loc: I move too fast to know
I usually prefer working alone. I know I am not the best modder out there, but there is some thing in me that makes me think, "I don't want anyone touching my project". It's a good idea, but it would be a lot of work. Right now, I am working on modesty. I found a lot of the girls' outfits to be very immodest. I know LDW was trying to make it more realistic (I guess Isola must be hot for such swim-suity clothes!) but I like more modesty in my villagers. So I am working on that. It's not so hard so far.

smile

#218202 - 02/26/10 09:00 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Elf-girl]
HeatherW Offline

I gotta say, not only are the female outfits like swimwear, but I find them boring, ugly and repetitive compared to previous games. There are only 2 female outfits I like in VV4, whereas there is only 1 male outfit I dislike!

Don't get me wrong, the game is fantastic in all ways (including heads and hairstyles), but the women's clothes leave something to be desired.

If someone wanted to mod 6 or 8 past favorite outfits into this one, I'd be forever in their debt. You know, back up the original VV4 files but play with the 6 or 8 ugliest permanently replaced with old favorites....

I love the old pink princess dress, and it would be even better in 2 or 3 colours. Also liked the short, "spiky" dress that came in yellow and white. Sorry, don't know how to add image files to show which ones.

#218368 - 02/27/10 01:32 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: HeatherW]
brand1l3n Offline

I know nothing about modding, so all I can do is offer suggestions for some interesting mods, should other like to try them.

VV2 has my favorite outfits, and I'd love to see them in this game.

I love the new hairstyles. They are my favorites out of all of them, with 2 exceptions: The blue-haired and rainbow haired girls of VVFamilies. smile

A less "pink'n'purple" Love Shack. How about some green and blue? Or Neon green and orange? :P Maybe a palm tree instead of the hot tub?

Maybe different colored cloth/cloth pulp?

Just some thoughts. ^_^

EDIT: Oh! And what about dragonfiles instead of butterflies? That would be lovely!

Edited by brand1l3n (02/27/10 01:33 AM)

#218406 - 02/27/10 04:37 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: brand1l3n]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Daughter 1 says: Brand-what color cloth do you want? That's a pretty simple mod that even I can do(coming from the girl who has just started experimenting with gimp and still knows very little about mods). I might also be able to change the love hut, although the side effect would be that not only would the color of the flowers change, but the hut itself would. But if you want a monochromatic hut, then I guess that would be a good thing.

Lil sis here: The cloth would be so easy that even I could do it (coming from the girl who has even less knowledge of gimp than my sister). To Heather: I know the princess dress you're talking about, it's my fav. And I know the outfits are swim-suity, but they are nice. I honestly could care less about mods. But having the princess dress would be nice, and different colors would be awesome. But, like my sister said, we (and some others) are still figuring it out.

I think I'm getting off-topic.

#218474 - 02/27/10 11:27 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
xman Offline
Adviser

Loc: London, England
I think youwould be better off, not changing clothes by reolouring. But making an entirely new row. Make sure it's grided and crossing outfits together.

#218514 - 02/27/10 05:20 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: xman]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

I know that, but I didn't mean the outfit's themselves, I was talking about the cloth pulp mod brand suggested.

#218561 - 02/27/10 09:48 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: brand1l3n]
PROPHETxOFxDOOM Offline

Originally Posted By: brand1l3n

^_^

EDIT: Oh! And what about dragonfiles instead of butterflies? That would be lovely!

Or Fire Flyes

Edited by Xay (02/27/10 10:54 PM)
Edit Reason: removed off topic song lyrics

#219003 - 03/02/10 11:45 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
Scully Offline
Adviser

Loc: Cocoa, Florida
I love many of the mods from previous games...filmy "romantic" dresses, pretty flowers and vines, etc. But my favorite mod is a practical one, and I hope someone will redo it for VV4. It's the bars on the Skills page, that show how close your villager is to achieving his next level of skills. Could someone please let me know if that one is re-made for VV4? Thanks!

#219007 - 03/03/10 12:00 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Scully]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
I made a mod like that for VV3 back when it came out, but I have not yet had the time to re-do it for VV4. Hopefully I will soon smile
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#219049 - 03/03/10 07:25 AM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
brand1l3n Offline

Originally Posted By: txmom2
I know that, but I didn't mean the outfit's themselves, I was talking about the cloth pulp mod brand suggested.

Any bright color, really. The tan is so drab, though I suppose that it's true-to-life. But a pretty green, red, blue, or even orange would be lovely. ^_^

And a monochromatic hut? That would interesting. I'd have to see it before I offered an opinion. But it does sound pretty. smile

#219935 - 03/12/10 02:27 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: brand1l3n]
chocolatechip Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Being chased by angry igaunas
What about neon fire? I think that would be so awesome! and Mabye the rocks that are in the ocean a shiny and a different color?

Avvi by AR

#221614 - 04/27/10 05:16 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: chocolatechip]
kissy06 Offline
Expert

Loc: Christiansburg VA
petenpete, you did an amazing job on the huts! They look wonderful!

#221621 - 04/27/10 11:39 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: kissy06]
petenpete Offline
Adviser

Loc: Manhattan, KS
Thanks Kissy - it was a lot of fun. :-)

#221752 - 05/06/10 02:09 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Scully]
ILikeRunners Offline

Originally Posted By: Scully
But my favorite mod is a practical one, and I hope someone will redo it for VV4. It's the bars on the Skills page, that show how close your villager is to achieving his next level of skills. Could someone please let me know if that one is re-made for VV4? Thanks!

That would be awesome!

#221756 - 05/06/10 05:13 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: ILikeRunners]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
Scully has posted one since making that post. It's in the Mods forum, Villager Detail Mod .

#223742 - 07/26/10 02:16 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
Kikiann11 Offline
Expert

Loc: NJ
I would love to see a clothing desigh of mine in a VV game! But, I in no way, shape, or form can mod.

#224885 - 09/22/10 12:05 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Kikiann11]
Pokemontrainer99 Offline
Expert

Loc: England
I can only mod basiclly on GIMP.

I want to put some VV3 clothes into VV4, but I don't have VV3. Can someone send me a PM with the female heads, outfits and actions of VV3. Male if you want.

#224890 - 09/22/10 07:39 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Pokemontrainer99]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
All of the images are in the free trial versions, so why don't you just download and install it. The images are still accessible after the one-hour trial ends.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter