Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217059 - 02/21/10 05:24 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Originally Posted By: Lady Emz
I think people will make their own mods and some will offer their mods to the public like they have with the other games. I also think, like in the other games, people who can make mods, will try to make mods 'on demand' for other people.

I would normally agree, however in this case it would be diferent. If someone, for example asked Lewanda to put her chocolate dress into the game(which someone will eventually) and she complied, then her dress would be in the game. But what is the chance that you get a villager wearing it? And that's only one outfit. If people keep requesting different outfits then we'd eventually have alot of outfit mods floating around. My idea would compress all those mods into one big mod and have a bunch of people working on it, rather than one person take on the task.

Also, I do agree that we should play the game first before we change it, I was just saying that if/when we do it, it needed to be in an organized way.

Edited by txmom2 (02/21/10 06:16 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#217060 - 02/21/10 05:28 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
First, and foremost, my apologies to jamie and the other guys who are involved with this thread. blush

Now to (hopefully) clarify a point or two. I think what txmom2 was suggesting is like a "chain" mod. She will do one outfit, then pass it on to another person who would do the next mod etc etc until all the outfits are completed in a single mod.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that there shouldn't be mods, they tend to be quite helpful in most cases. All I was saying is that maybe everyone should get a chance to actually look at the game before they start planning their mods.

I don't buy a car and immediately start making overhaul plans until I first see what needs to be overhauled. It's always a good idea to take it out for a test drive, then decide what I want to fix.

Finally, I doubt we could keep all the mods in a single thread even if we wanted to. It would be confusing, and make it very difficult to find a particular mod once they start appearing. What I'm saying, is that for now we will keep all the conversation about mods in this thread.

Later we will determine how to handle the actual mods themselves. We may just allow them to be posted openly in the main forum, or as was done for VF, we may set up a separate place for them to go.

That being said, all I have left to say is COME ON MONDAY!!!

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#217064 - 02/21/10 05:43 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Jamie001]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Originally Posted By: Jamie001
txmom2. I had trouble reading your post. Could you please seperate one large paragraph into smaller ones please.

Sorry about that. I was actually having trouble reading it myself. I was having these weird tecnichal difficulties where I'd type one letter then the computer would scroll back to the top of my post. Then I would scroll back down to type some more, and it would immediately scroll back up. Finally I got tired of all the scrolling up and down so just tried to type without looking at what I was typing. Of course, out of that you get a post that's run together and doesen't make much sense-ugh it started happening again! Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it my computer or the website causing the problem? Does anyone else have this probelem?

#217066 - 02/21/10 06:05 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Jamie001 Offline
Adviser

Originally Posted By: txmom2
Originally Posted By: Jamie001
txmom2. I had trouble reading your post. Could you please seperate one large paragraph into smaller ones please.

Sorry about that. I was actually having trouble reading it myself. I was having these weird tecnichal difficulties where I'd type one letter then the computer would scroll back to the top of my post. Then I would scroll back down to type some more, and it would immediately scroll back up. Finally I got tired of all the scrolling up and down so just tried to type without looking at what I was typing. Of course, out of that you get a post that's run together and doesen't make much sense-ugh it started happening again! Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it my computer or the website causing the problem? Does anyone else have this probelem?

That happens to me a lot when I use quick quote. Not sure why.

Just using reply seems to work. Also, you can always type your message out in another program, and then copy\paste here.

This post has gotten off topic.... feel free to delete it.

~Jamie

#217067 - 02/21/10 06:20 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Jamie001]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Thanks for the explanation and advice. But this is kind of off topic.

#217069 - 02/21/10 06:34 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Nora Willow Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Eastern Isola
I think you ment you wiould make a big mod instead of making bunches of smaller ones so you could save all the downloads? Just trying to clairify it smile

#217079 - 02/21/10 08:06 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Nora Willow]
txmom2 Offline
Consigliere

Yes, but also everyone can work together on it rather than just one person take on the huge task.

#217083 - 02/21/10 09:19 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: txmom2]
Gamemastr1 Offline
Graphics Wizard

I have tried to mod outfits in the past. It is not an easy task.
First of all, in VV3 for example, there are 3 different files for just 1 outfit.
actions - 17 poses
bodies 1 - 16 poses
bodies 2 - 16 poses
49 total poses

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. As a "Modder", I enjoy seeing other peoples mods as well. Outfits, however, seem to be the most challenging of all things to mod, which is why most of my mods are mods that do not involve the villagers. They are most challenging and if something isn't lined up just right, villagers heads "slip" off their bodies. There is foot and hand positions to contend with as well. Maybe some of you have better software than I do, better equipped for this process.

I am only posting this so everyone knows up front what is really involved in modding outfits. So much can go wrong in doing this and it can potentially make the game look weird. Care, caution and patience is needed when taking on this task. Good luck on your endeavor. grin I'll stick to the maps and collections/upgrades. smile

#217113 - 02/21/10 10:44 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Gamemastr1]
Lady Emz Offline
Expert

Loc: London, England.
TxtMom:
The idea for a community-orientated chain mod is a nice idea smile
Good luck with it! I'm just hoping there'll be a 'Princess' dress in there somewhere smile

Gamemastr1:
Agreed. My partner (who did mods for VV2)found it challenging to do his mods even they were relatively simple. He spent a lot of time making sure everything matched up ok both on the file and in the game-play.

It is quite a job.

Rockmower:
Is it Monday yet? smile I can't wait to see the villagers clothes and hair styles, I'm sure I'll pick my favourites to mod very quickly if there's a huge potato-head out there! wink

#217118 - 02/21/10 11:36 PM Re: an organised system for outfit mods [Re: Lady Emz]
xman Offline
Adviser

Loc: London, England
I see some problems. Firstly, the package will eventually grow too big. Secondly, a lot more people want outfits, lots of people didn't get the chance to enter the contest. Thirdly, the likelyness of seeing your new outfit is slim.

I am a modder and artist, and these kinds of things are not easy to achieve. You would need exact grids and correct shading to match the style. Also people would want hair, face paint, skin tones, etc.

You probably should wait until the game has been out for a few weeks, then work in getting a team together (artist, modder, colourer, shader, etc)
But even then this will take time. I'll send you a message with what I suggest you do to organize this.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter