Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175532 - 10/24/08 03:52 AM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: halidog]
SpecialPrincess Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: the Midwest, USA
Oddly enough, we don't seem to have given up anything. \:\? If we have, I don't know about it. I'm not the one paying the bills. :P

#175564 - 10/24/08 06:49 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: SpecialPrincess]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Like our friend Gamey, I was already restricting things due to lack of a j o b. We are more fortunate than many, in that we do have a pension to sustain us.

Still, the recession (whether the politicians want to call it that or not) has made things even tighter. We have started combining trips, and only go to town when it's necessary. I parked the big riding mower, and am now using the little push mower. Actually, that's had a rather strange effect on my pants. THEY seem to be growing for some reason

We used to dine out about once a week, now we do so about once a month. We haven't been to a movie recently because it just costs too much. We are trying to figure out a way to reinstate that, because it was our "monthly date" ever since we've been together.

Probably the B I G G E S T change I've made regards our winter heat. We have decided to do away with our big propane furnace, and I am working on putting in an outdoor wood burning furnace. I better hurry up though, because it's starting to get cold here at night. \:8

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#175565 - 10/24/08 07:19 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: Rockmower]
blue_koka Offline
Consigliere

Actually we haven"t had to give up much. When you have little to start with you don't miss so much. We do live comfortable. We are not poor. But when you have so little you learn when and where and how to be frugal.
We rent movies rather than go out.
We limit our games. We limit where we go.
I have problems with people who have so much and live like Kings knowing there are people in our country homeless and hungry. I watch these T.V. programs where the rich spend thousands of dollars on parties and things they usually only use once or twice. Cars they only polish. And frolic while they see someone eating out of a garbage can.
I do hope that all of you here on this website help those that are less fortunate. Because before this country gets better,It will get worse. And those that have might tomorrow have not.
I care about people. And I hope and pray that everyone comes out of this problem not to worse for wear.

#175582 - 10/24/08 09:26 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: SpecialPrincess]
Meems Offline
Expert

Loc: the hills and hollers of Tenne...
I checked off most of the boxes listed except local driving. Since moving from a tiny town 10 yrs ago to a somewhat larger city most of our needs can be found within a 10 mile radius. It even boasts a one screen movie theater with a two dollar afternoon matinee!
As executive director (haha) of a very large family, many money saving protocols were devised and implemented by me throughout the years.These were rigorously and rigidly adhered to. Personal monetary requests were usually answered by a brusque "No, we can't afford it!". Now this cold and brutal external armor was erected to hide a miserable and sorrowful interior as once again I had to deny and dim a childs' small and hopeful wish. This was back in the 1980's. By 1987 I had to leave my kids to essentially raise and monitor themselves so I could join my husband in the workforce. This lasted for 17 years well after that aweful recession. But the memories still linger and they are harsh.
And here we are again in the midsts of another and far crueller national crisis. Some personal observations:
On the up side gas prices are at record lows.
More people are selling excess luxury possessions at a fraction of their cost in their yard sales, on-line and in newspapers.
There are many more fresh produce stands in vacant shop parking lots and their prices are very reasonable.
Most of todays' fashionable outfits are so gruesome (and short) I wouldn't dress my dog in them much less pay their exorbitant prices to partially drape my body.
Families are rediscovering and reforging closer bonds while gathered around the manditory at home evening meal.
Survival is a matter of perspective and positive thinking and yes, some self denial and self sacrifice. If today you must give up or put off a wanted but not needed acquisition that doesn't mean forever. The job you lost to corporate downsizing just means exploring other options outside your mental box. Any job trumps no job even if it's delivering pizzas.
In summation to my impulsive essay I simply want to say that what goes around, comes around. Night always follows day. Rain always follows drought. Todays recession is tomorrows golden opportunity.
The end.

#175644 - 10/25/08 02:18 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: Meems]
Tmac Offline
Master

I checked everything ! \:8
My husabnd was in the carpenters union for 14 years and he was
never laid off. But Guess what happened 4 months ago???
It has been very scary, and to top it off my mother moved
in with us because she has cancer and has to go through
8-10 rounds of chemo then surgery and radiation. She can't work she has been way to sick. Talk about being strapped !!!!!
My hubby did just get a job, making half of what he used to
make and it is by his family about 70-80 miles away. And to top that off we can't sell out house because, NO one is buying anything. So until we could sell our house my hubby is staying at his dad's for part fo the week and them coming home. Well that is my sob story !! I just thank God that i have my job!

#175770 - 10/26/08 07:41 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: Tmac]
Annthewhofan Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Northwest, England
I voted other as most of the things listed I don't do, for ie I don't own a car as I never leant to drive and only ride my bike to work.
I never buy magazines only the TV Choice thats 38p,

I never dine out as I don't trust resterants after seeing a tv docomentery on them.

I don't buy video games in a shop, but I will still buy the games from LDW, the only site I can trust.

I never buy Ipods and only buy stuff I need for my computer if some hardwork breaks down, like my mouse did I had to replace a few weeks ago.

I never been to the pictures for years I wait until the film comes on TV.

The only thing I keep buying is the latest Stephen King books or any Dr who novals on offer.

I might go on holiday when I am 60 and get a pension and my works pay. That would be next year and depending go on holiday 2010, The last holiday I had was in 2002 when my mom was alive I want to benidorm in spain.

I only buy clothes when I need them and shoes, when they are on the way out. I'm a great saver.

#175797 - 10/26/08 11:19 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: Annthewhofan]
HarryFan17 Offline
Master

Loc: in the front row of a concert!...
Because of this, my family hasn't been able to go on a vacation because of gas prices. We were planning a trip to Italy during the summer, but now I don't know if we'll be able to. So my family has cut back on trips, driving unless necessary, books, going to and buying movies, and going out to eat.

#176057 - 10/30/08 05:29 AM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: HarryFan17]
Houjun Offline
Consigliere

Honestly, my family hasn't cut back on too much really.

In almost 24 years, my family have never traveled (minus school trips) so that doesn't apply to us. Neither my mom or I have licenses so we pay 25 bucks a month for an unlimited bus pass so local driving isn't an issue, nor is a new car (though I was planning on getting a license soon so that may be pushed back quite a bit). I don't go to movies and rarely rent or purchase them so that doesn't apply either, same with the video games. Clothing is a non-issue since the majority of the clothes are in good condition and can be worn to work. Take-out is an event every other week so there's no problem there either.

So the only thing that should have taken a hit would be the books/magazines area but now being eligible for a 33% discount on books and a 10% discount on magazines, I've been able to save money there even while buying the same amount. \:\?

We've tried to cut out non-essential food items like a bunch of sweets and non-essential, non-planned purchases at other stores but that hasn't happened too well either. We're trying to cut back on the electricity but the bill still seems to soar anyhow.

Track your currency.

If you like brainteasers, you might like Braingle.

#176063 - 10/30/08 11:55 AM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: Houjun]
halidog Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: One of the thirteen colonies
For the energy bill, have you considered solar energy? You can sell some excess energy to the electric company, so your bill goes down.

#183081 - 02/04/09 05:48 PM Re: In this moment of recession, what do you give up? [Re: halidog]
cattales Offline
Trainee

Loc: U.S.
I've always been frugal, always lived on shoe-string, by choice! (I'm much more interested in having a lot of free time to spend as I choose, than in having a lot of stuff) So this so-called economic crisis has affected me not at all. Nothing to "give up" 'cause I really have nothing to begin with. Though I may need to spend a little more time in the coming year working for money, so less on the volunteer stuff. But before I give up my volunteer work, I'll go back to living in a tent!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter