Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy
30708 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30708 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#149712 - 05/23/08 04:50 PM My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong?
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
The most common causes of villages being wiped out are:

1. Having only one trained farmer. If the farmer gets sick and is not healed, starvation is a real possibility for the tribe. Villagers can (and should) be trained in more than one skill. In VV3, any villager with farming knowledge will harvest food when the food supply is critically low.

2. Not having a trained healer to take care of the sick when the game is off. If you're using kids to heal sick villagers when the game is on, you need to be aware that kids will not heal sick villagers on their own. If there isn't a trained adult healer, you need to be vigilant and check frequently for sick villagers. Keeping the fire going reduces the frequency of disease.

3. Growing the population too large and too soon. The initial food supplies in all VV games are limited and won't support a very large population. In VV3, if you grow the population beyond about 10-12 villagers before you have an unlimited food supply, you will need to hunt mushrooms a lot to prevent starvation.

Some things you can do to help get extra food:

- Make sure you are using your chief to make extra food every day.
- Hunt mushrooms, especially when it's raining.
- Have all of your working-age villagers do research when there is no food left to harvest. This will get you much-needed tech points.
- Make sure you check what each village tech does for your tribe (click the "?" next to each Buy button). Some are more helpful than others early in the game.

#150000 - 05/24/08 09:00 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
Simsane Offline
Master

Loc: Washington State
Very good advice! Thank you. \:\)

#150010 - 05/24/08 09:45 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: Simsane]
Becca123 Offline
Guru

Loc: In a happy place =D
Yes! Thank you for the advice Lady, I never knew that mushrooms sprouted more frequently in the rain \:\)

#150060 - 05/24/08 02:49 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Becca123]
Jazzo Offline
Master Magician

Loc: jazzothegreat.com
Or you can check Jazzo's [MAJOR SPOILER] Food Guide grin

LadyCFII edit: Added spoiler warning. (Sorry, Jazzo. Some people only want a little help in the forum of hints and tips. Your guide is quite a spoiler).

#150489 - 05/25/08 03:15 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
Starfire Offline

Loc: Canada
I am also losing my villagers. How do I get an unlimited supply of food? I have the orchard going (which only produces food maybe onece a day), have harvested the bee hive, I use the chief everday to give food, most villagers are cross trained. [Ed. spoiler removed] my villagers are all dying of starvation because food is not lasting long. Also it takes forever for the builders to build anything. What am i missing? Tech points are taking forever. I have at least level 2 on everything, some have level 3. The most villagers I have had is 20, but they didn't last long.

Edited by LadyCFII (05/25/08 03:53 PM)

#150492 - 05/25/08 03:19 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Starfire]
bethlham Offline
Guru

Read this thread from the beginning. Check out Jazzo's food guide. It is very thourough and accurate. Look on the VV3 guides.
That should really help alot.

Good Luck! \:\)

Edited by LadyCFII (05/25/08 03:53 PM)

#150537 - 05/25/08 04:51 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Starfire]
laurence Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Paris, France
For unlimited food, you need a certain puzzle (it's in the VV3 guide). In waiting that, put all your kids on the mushrooms!
Are you playing in Nature or Magic faction and which level?

#151551 - 05/28/08 12:40 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Starfire]
hop Offline

Loc: baseball, reading
I am having the same problem. I have only been able to grow one fruit tree. How do you get the chief to do something other than watch everything? How can I fish when there are sharks in the water?

#151555 - 05/28/08 12:48 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: hop]
Unicorn

Those are puzzles that need to be solved. If you would like help with the puzzles, look here. \:\)

#151622 - 05/28/08 02:46 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
Syrenia Offline

Maybe this is completely obvious, but how do I "use the chief to make extra food"?

#151624 - 05/28/08 02:51 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Syrenia]
Bowl Wheeevil Offline
Guru

Loc: Somewhere.
You put Him/Her on the food bin, and he/she will create food. But, it can only be done once a day.

#151835 - 05/28/08 11:07 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Bowl Wheeevil]
Syrenia Offline

Yeah, I figured it out after I posted, and felt kinda dumb. Oh well. Thanks anyway

#151837 - 05/28/08 11:12 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: Becca123]
colourmehappy Offline
Master

Loc: Portugal
Unlike the other VV games, you can pick up more than one mushroom at a time. The same applies to collectables. Hope that helps! I also pause the game before leaving it, till i've got unlimited fishing and a couple of doctors trained.

Edited by colourmehappy (05/28/08 11:21 PM)

#151991 - 05/29/08 09:54 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: colourmehappy]
MyVillagers Offline

Lol...this idea is crazy but it works if you you are running low of food:
Create magic food by the chief, then pause.Then the next day,contnue with the game and create more magic food and continue doing this.It will take long so be patient.
So if you run out of food, there will still be lots and lots of food left.Do remember to breed so the other generations can research.

#152748 - 05/31/08 02:24 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: MyVillagers]
Poyo! Offline
Adviser

Loc: In a tiny shampoo bottle
I recently descovered something which may help. In my un-glitched version (yay!) of VV3, I found it helpful to pause the game when a mushroom appears and put all the children onto it while it's paused. Each child gets a mushroom \:\)

I'm calling out from Scatland I'm calling out from Scatman's world.
If you wanna break free you better listen to me.
You got to learn how to see in your fantasy.
I would have more lyrics but 300chars aint enuff

Wat?

#152753 - 05/31/08 02:31 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Poyo!]
Unicorn

That does not work in VV3. Only the first child placed on a mushroom while the game is paused will collect one.

#152898 - 05/31/08 03:50 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
linda27 Offline

how do i get my villagers to fish

#152914 - 05/31/08 04:29 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: linda27]
Unicorn

There's an excellent guide to getting all the food sources in the Oficial VV3 Strategy Guide.

#152926 - 05/31/08 04:43 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Syrenia]
MoonBeam71 Offline
Expert

Loc: United States of America
Set Cheif in front of food bin, every 24 hour's the chief will make "Magic Food", not a lot mind you, but some

#153713 - 06/02/08 04:24 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MoonBeam71]
VVFanatic Offline
Guru

Loc: Texas
Thanks 4 the tips Lady \:\)

VF2 -80%

#155871 - 06/08/08 07:11 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: bethlham]
RuthieJo Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas, USA
I've checked out Jazzo's food guide, but I only have 5231 tech points and haven't bought any techs or fractions yet.

I have been cross training everybody. But only have four workers and the fifth is a nursing mother, this is her second baby. I only have 9 villagers.The honey is gone and the tree is bare.

I just put my four adults into research, as I only have 148 food left.

The children are 3, 6 and 10 and I still have 42 minutes before the baby becomes 2.

I don't have a chief, because I don't have enough workers. I might try for the chief after the new baby is 2, that way I'll still have four workers.

But what do I do if I don't get a chief? I have 1500 tech points to go before I can buy restoration and fix the lift, but even after planting the seeds it's going to take time to grow the trees.

http://dragcave.net/user/GreenDragonMama

#155872 - 06/08/08 07:14 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: colourmehappy]
RuthieJo Offline
Expert

I haven't figured out how to pick more than one mushroom or collectible at a time. I've paused the game, moved all of my kids over to the mushroom, as close as possible, then unpaused the game I still only get one kid picking the mushroom. How do I get multiple pick ups.

#155873 - 06/08/08 07:18 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MoonBeam71]
RuthieJo Offline
Expert

In my other games, I put the chief in front of the food bin, and he only made 98 food, which of course didn't last the 24 real hours it takes to have the chief make more food.

#156389 - 06/10/08 10:35 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Syrenia]
Berry Offline
Trainee

Loc: Australia
Drop him on the food bin. \:\)

#156394 - 06/10/08 01:50 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! **** SPOILER**** [Re: RuthieJo]
swedane Offline
Master

Loc: BC. CANADA
Originally Posted By: RuthieJo
I haven't figured out how to pick more than one mushroom or collectible at a time. I've paused the game, moved all of my kids over to the mushroom, as close as possible, then unpaused the game I still only get one kid picking the mushroom. How do I get multiple pick ups.

*** HIGHLIGHT *** SPOILER ***

Note: You need to know the numerical keys for;
Left side, right side, center, etc...
Clicking spacebar pauses & unpauses the game.

Once you see a collectible;
1. Pick up a child and pause the game before dropping him/her on the item.
2. Keep the game paused and pick up a second child
3. Hold the second child over or close to the item.
4. Unpause the game and quickly drop the second child onto or near the collectible.

I hope this helps you! \:\)

#156395 - 06/10/08 02:04 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: RuthieJo]
swedane Offline
Master

Loc: BC. CANADA
Originally Posted By: RuthieJo
In my other games, I put the chief in front of the food bin, and he only made 98 food, which of course didn't last the 24 real hours it takes to have the chief make more food.

Before everything else fails read;
The most common causes of villagers being wiped out:

#156403 - 06/10/08 02:47 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: swedane]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Loc: Right behind you.
You shouldn't avoid a chief because you need workers; an additional 100 food per day (100, 98, whatever) will be a huge boost when it adds up, from every day since the village's inception, and it may be just the edge you need to last until research is done. Also, your chief will speed up the work of your other villagers, so he will help speed research along when research is being done.

#156406 - 06/10/08 03:02 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: RuthieJo]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK

SPOILERS:
(Highlight below to read.)
I put everybody on research to get the tech points needed as soon as possible for:
  1. 4,500 to get L1 of the faction;
  2. 11,000 to get L2 Science;
  3. 50,000 to get L2 of the faction so I can get rid of the sharks.
During this time I'll only use a farmer occasionally if the food stocks are getting particularly low, otherwise the villagers live on mushrooms. I also won't bother with training up builders until after I've got the tech points.

END SPOILERS

EDIT: Perhaps I ought to stress that the above is the way I've found works best for me. Others may well prefer to play differently.

Edited by arnie (06/10/08 04:00 PM)

#156416 - 06/10/08 04:48 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: arnie]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

You don't try to grow more fruit trees before dealing with the sharks? I personally find that a single fruit tree and a beehive will absolutely not sustain my villagers long enough to accumulate 65,500 tech points.

Perhaps if you choose nature as your faction you can stretch them out a little more, but I tend to reach for the orchard as soon as possible; that gives me plenty of time with room to spare to get a more permanent food solution researched.
[Spoiler]
I tend to go for restoration first of all; after that, I set builders on uncovering the leaves from the registry of the dead, for the building skill. Very little walking is involved, so they can gain skill quickly there. After that, there's also a hut to build.

Two starting villagers also already have building skill; it's easy to get three adepts to fix the lift very quickly, if you didn't take too long researching. I tend to cross-train my healer in building; there's not too much for a healer to do until medicine is researched, so without sick people, she will regularly help out with building. That should give you three people who are reasonably skilled builders, if not adept, by the time restoration is researched; only 7,500 tech points spent total, as compared to 65,500.

I also put everybody on research, and cross-train several researchers as farmers; they'll go and help farm when food gets low, and back to research otherwise.
[/Spoiler]

#156418 - 06/10/08 04:58 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Lurkily]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

No, I've generally got by with just the one fruit tree - plus of course, a lot of mushrooms! Once, with a lot of luck in getting duplicate rare collectibles, I got fishing before the (first) tree had even matured! It is important not to expand the tribe beyoyond the original eight villagers, although I did manage with "newcomers" from events a couple of times.

#156438 - 06/10/08 05:51 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: arnie]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

I've managed with ten villagers before, forgetting to keep an eye on the woman with parenting skill.

The difference, perhaps, is that I don't have the inclination to mushroom-hunt; I leave them to their own devices, generally.

#159119 - 06/23/08 06:10 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: MyVillagers]
FixingHut Offline

Originally Posted By: MyVillagers
Lol...this idea is crazy but it works if you you are running low of food:
Create magic food by the chief, then pause.Then the next day,contnue with the game and create more magic food and continue doing this.It will take long so be patient.
So if you run out of food, there will still be lots and lots of food left.Do remember to breed so the other generations can research.

I do this also I have 5 tribs I only have 1 going at a time. The others are on pause every day I have the chief creat Food
Spoiler Highlight The tribs with more leadership privaleges such as Teaching and pointing out collectables. I have the chief Lectar the children, or pointing out collectables
Then I put the Trib back on pause. I have one tribe with more than 4000 food points. I hope Big fish keeps this It dose not spoil the game for me.

Edited by FixingHut (06/23/08 06:12 AM)

#161021 - 07/02/08 04:41 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: FixingHut]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

I usually use that trick only when a tribe is absolutely critical. It provides a food source that is practically infinite, but slows your progress in the game to almost zero, as well.

#162417 - 07/09/08 08:12 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: Lurkily]
bodeia Offline
Trainee

It's always useful to check that none of the children can be chief as has happened in two fo my villages at teh beginning, this helped with food. If the chief isn't one of the children well I wait until I have the nursing mother release the first babe and check babe and her as she generally doesn't have any skills. If it isn't them then I wait until I have at least the orchard planted before trying the other adult, I actively hunt for mushrooms and if quick can drop two kids in quick succession to get two mushrooms, this aso works for collectabes. I also tend to play in normal time which is slower but works for me.

#163176 - 07/13/08 06:37 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: bodeia]
pava Offline
Trainee

**Possible Spoiler Question**

When my adults do research, before long, they're all in a very weakened condition. I found one herb combination which helps a tiny bit, and the women partially recover while nursing a child; but is there something else that will help restore their health?

I've tried putting each in the healing area and placing my best hope for a healer on or near them. Except for the occasional embrace, the game seems to think they're trying to procreate rather than get well.

What am I missing? I've reached my safe population limit for now, so I can't send my top scientists into motherhood again. I need the research to reach the Medical Tech price, so I'm in a Catch-22.

I've read here for hours and can't find this answered elsewhere. Please help!

#163184 - 07/13/08 06:58 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: pava]
Unicorn

There are many causes for a villager to become weakened. They can be weakened by starvation, disease, on-the-job injuries, old age, and Island Events, to name a few. Some occupations are more hazardous than others (especially research and building), so moving them to a different job can help. Healers can only help a villager who is sick (check their details screen to be sure). Placing a healer on a weakened villager (who is not sick) will initiate an embrace.

The only way to get weakened villagers completely healthy again is to eliminate the cause of their deterioration (get more food, heal them, etc.) and allow them to rest and eat. Taking them to the food supply and repeatedly making them eat (at least 8-10 times) will improve their health, as will certain potions, but they will get better on their own as long as they don't suffer further damage to their health. The most important thing is to take care of whatever caused the weakness.

#163202 - 07/13/08 08:08 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
pava Offline
Trainee

Thanks very much for the advice, Lady C! I guess I need to encourage them to wander the reef, "stop and smell the flowers." Since no one can do research while they're recovering strength, it looks like the children's work on collectibles is even more critical to reaching the next Tech purchase.

How do you know when they're hungry? - Thanks.

#163208 - 07/13/08 08:28 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: pava]
Unicorn

They will eat on their own as long as there is enough food, so you don't need to worry about an individual villager's hunger level. The main thing is to keep an adequate supply of food in the granary.

#163229 - 07/13/08 09:58 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: pava]
colourmehappy Offline
Master

Loc: Portugal
If a scientist is week, swap them with a farmer. I find that really helps. \:\) \:\) \:\)

#163331 - 07/14/08 05:07 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: colourmehappy]
Diversity Offline
Expert

Loc: Kentucky
I just discovered today something the tribal chief can do - I put the tribal chief on the lift when it was raining and he did pick up the fruit and take it to the food bin.

I wish he would at least do research! :-P
LOL

#163338 - 07/14/08 05:59 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: colourmehappy]
pava Offline
Trainee

Thanks, CMH, that's a good idea. Does the fruit tree die if it's completely harvested? With the beehive currently tapped out and no way to go fishing yet, the fruit on the tree won't last long enough to completely strengthen my weaklings.

Not to press a point, but I'm having only limited success here, mostly by dragging people to the food hut and to the waterfall to drink, back and forth several times. Even when I put someone on the reef, the thought is usually to get back to work rather than take a nice vacation.

I've been making use of the [SPOILER] rain dance, thinking it might give everyone a quick holiday. But I haven't seen much change in strength meters afterward. Maybe it's just a slower process than I'd like - welcome to Instant America!

Any and all suggestions and success reports are delightfully welcome!

Edited by LadyCFII (07/14/08 06:16 PM)

#163394 - 07/15/08 12:26 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: pava]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Trees regenerate about 111 fruit every three hours, on normal speed. The best use of your 'holidays' is mushroom-hunting; they sprout much, much more often in the rain.

#163436 - 07/15/08 05:16 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: Lurkily]
pava Offline
Trainee

But adults can't collect mushrooms, can they, Lurk? So hunting doesn't give my tired adults much rest, especially since "hunt" means click-and-drag to relocate the mushroom picker. I'm starting to think the walking is half the recuperation factor, though I can't prove it.

*** POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW ***

Since my first post, my alchemist has done wonders for helping restore my tribe's strength - including his own when an experiment blows up!

#163483 - 07/15/08 01:30 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: pava]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Originally Posted By: pava
But adults can't collect mushrooms, can they, Lurk? So hunting doesn't give my tired adults much rest, especially since "hunt" means click-and-drag to relocate the mushroom picker. I'm starting to think the walking is half the recuperation factor, though I can't prove it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by tired adults. My point is, that mushroom-hunting brings food. I believe they regain health on a timed basis, as long as their well-fed. As you say, I can't prove it.

Also, I'm relatively sure that there is a constant increase, and a constant decrease to a villager's health that balance each other out. As they age, it would seem to tip the balance in the favor of decreasing health, but the youngsters seem to regain health quite easily. The obvious things to tie increasing health to would be age, sickness, and food. (Have you ever seen "This villager felt better after eating"?)

I do not believe working your villagers hurts them or weakens them, or prevents recuperation. But for the purpose of making them healthier, I believe [spoiler]Cactus-Cactus-Lotus[/spoiler] is a nice potion to have around. I don't know of any other method except patience.

#163485 - 07/15/08 01:58 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Lurkily]
laurence Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Lurkily
... I believe they regain health on a timed basis, as long as their well-fed. As you say, I can't prove it.
Yes I think so.

I do not believe working your villagers hurts them or weakens them, or prevents recuperation.
Yes, it is!! If I look at the ldwlog.txt folders of my VV2 game:

"Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Tiki FijLap collected some crops. Crops remaining: 1077
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Current food available to eat: 107596
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Lakia PapKon was injured while researching. Remaining health: 90
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Research successful. Tech points generated: 30"

But they may recover their health:

"Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Current food available to eat: 106880
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Papa HeriCol healed one point. Current health: 99
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Hebe AgaSyl is going to do some food gathering."

This one is also very interesting: ;\)

"Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Research successful. Tech points generated: 16
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Research successful. Tech points generated: 16
Tue Jun 26 11:05:08 2007: Fire assisted researchers. Extra point gained."

Ok, it is in VV2 (we don't have anything like that in the VV3 folders \:\( ) But I think it's the same in VV3!

#163491 - 07/15/08 02:38 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: laurence]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Well, accidents happen. What I mean is, I don't believe it will assist recuperation to keep them from working, and I don't believe the simple fact that they are working means that they lose health, even if it does, on occasion, happen.

#163497 - 07/15/08 03:45 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Lurkily]
Unicorn

Working, in and of itself, does not cause health to deteriorate. However, on-the-job accidents are very common in building and research and can cost up to 10 percent of a villager's health with each incident. I have seen villagers die due to repeated work injuries.

#163503 - 07/15/08 05:28 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
laurence Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

I play VV since almost two years, now and I can tell you:
the research tasks make the villager's health bar going down quickly as the building tasks!
The farming tasks never make it going down.
When the health bar is low select Farming or Healing in their details sceen and put your villagers in the pound. Let him doing all they want except researching or building and you'll see their health going up again!!

#163545 - 07/15/08 08:20 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: laurence]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Yeah, I kinda meant what CFII said. \:\)

#163883 - 07/17/08 08:58 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Lurkily]
pava Offline
Trainee

From my observations the Health bar in the Details screen has to do only with strength. When it's low enough, the label on the left changes to "Weakened." But if the label indicates the person is "sick" (and I just tried this with a proven makes-you-sick potion), the red bar is no shorter.

I don't know if repeated ingesting of bad potions would gradually affect the red bar, and I'm not willing to try it on anyone. But I do know that a very low bar yields weakness rather than sickness.

It does seem that the healing process should take a little longer - instant cures, even in this compacted time scheme, seem a bit unrealistic.

Disclaimer: I opted to play in Easy Mode, so some of my notes may not apply to the more difficult modes.

#163902 - 07/17/08 11:13 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: pava]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Health is health. When it drops below zero, they die.

Sickness is a condition that continually lowers health, until healed by a doctor. This has nothing to do with high or low levels of health. Low health without being sick is just called "Weakened."

#164112 - 07/19/08 05:04 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Lurkily]
pava Offline
Trainee

From earlier posts in this thread, that appears not to be the case. Players have tried to kill off the slackers with evil potions. The health bar drops into the ball at the left end, but no one dies.

That being said, LadyC says she has seen deaths from repeated research accidents. I'd rather not see that for myself, thank you.

Low health without being sick is just called "Weakened."
Exactly. Thank you for confirming what I said earlier. ;\)

#164160 - 07/19/08 12:25 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: pava]
Lurkily Offline
Guru

Originally Posted By: pava
From earlier posts in this thread, that appears not to be the case. Players have tried to kill off the slackers with evil potions. The health bar drops into the ball at the left end, but no one dies.
As I said, dropping below zero kills them. Dropping to (apparently) zero, but not below it, does not kill them. Outside of that not-particularly significant detail, health does exactly what you expect health to do.

Note that there's no way to tell exactly how much health they have; the health bar, like the skill bar, changes in increments, and nobody who knows is saying exactly how that is tracked or rounded, though I could likely find the value with an external utility, if anybody really cared. I don't see that it would help me play the game, though, to know if an empty health bar is really a zero, or just 1 out of 100 health points, rounded down to the closest increment on the health bar.

#164584 - 07/21/08 02:27 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Lurkily]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

It should be emphasised that a villager's strength as shown in the health bar has no direct relation to sickness. If a villager is left sick and is not healed the strength will decline and the villager may eventually die. Often the sick villager will wander off to the hospital area and be healed in a short time by a doctor without any appreciable difference to the health bar.

#164837 - 07/22/08 05:17 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: arnie]
HPVV Offline
Expert

Loc: Eastern Shore of Isola
I had a "Potion Tester" in one of my tribes, Health can stay at Zero, villager will only be weakened. Any villager can become sick at anytime no matter the health level.

#165400 - 07/26/08 02:29 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
Plumblossum Offline

Loc: USA
I had a lot of tribes die off b/c the game was still going on why I wasn't there and so the food supply would run out and wasn't able to replenish.

Pause the game when you will be logging off so that your people will survie longer. I haven't had any tribes die off since finding the pause button. Also use the Chief to replenish food so that if your food supply is empty, you people can still eat. Once your food supply reach 500, your people will stop worrying about food and stay to the task at hand. Hope this helps ^_^

#165497 - 07/26/08 08:05 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Syrenia]
JavaMoma65 Offline

Everyone does know that you can pause the game before you quit to insure nothing happens when you are gone from the computer, right? As far as feeding the tribe, I span around continuously looking for shrooms. I pick up two or three children and drop one child on the shroom after pausing the game. Then unpause and drop one or two more children on the shroom. This nets 18 food points each time. My children fed the tribe until other food sources became available.

#172585 - 09/22/08 06:53 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: JavaMoma65]
MickyTeddy Offline
Adviser

Loc: West Midlands England
I had a new game running. Had been playing about 10 days.
There was plenty of food the first tree was producing food but depleting, and the scientist was almost a master, the original farmer was an adept scientist as well as an adept farmer, a Child Chief and one other child. And a villager arriving by canoe. 9 villagers. Indeed I already had 3 Master Builders and had just cleared the leaves on the Roster of the Dead and the lab was set up and a few potions made.
And the other 2 trees were sprouting.
I paused every night and opened it get the Magic food and to collect some collectibles and played for about half an hour a day.
Mainly to allow my food resources to grow once the tree stopped producing and until I had got my lift repaired to complete the orchard. Which I had done but the original tree was almost clear.

The next day when I opened the game, on paused, I was greeted with a pile of bones in the auditorium, and no food in the container, and a message saying a disaster had befallen my villagers. All their food and their health had been lost and as a result they had all died. And it was still on pause. Definitely.

So if I had been playing would it have just happened "poof" just like that?
Or would I have been able to save some?
I have had messages before saying that the weather had caused food loss before or villagers becoming ill from the weather, but never a total wipeout.

(Well apart from when I first began I did, but I was not pausing the game. I soon learnt!)

Edited by MickyTeddy (09/22/08 06:55 PM)

#172586 - 09/22/08 07:01 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MickyTeddy]
laurence Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

It's strange! was it an event?
Normaly when you're in pause there is not event!

#172589 - 09/22/08 07:20 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: laurence]
MickyTeddy Offline
Adviser

I know it was so weird.
I kept wondering if I had played a few more seconds I might have got some waring.

#172590 - 09/22/08 07:21 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MickyTeddy]
Unicorn

You should not have a disaster like that while the game was paused. Are you absolutely certain that the game displayed "GAME PAUSED" at the bottom of the screen when this happened? It's very easy to accidentally pause or unpause the game using the space bar.

We have put a lot of testing into the pause feature and have never seen anything like that occur. Would you mind describing exactly how you were pausing and unpausing the game? That might help up determine what happened.

#172671 - 09/23/08 12:24 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
MickyTeddy Offline
Adviser

Yes, it had game paused on the screen.
I pause it by using option and then pause the game speed. I stopped using the spacebar after it failed to work once and I did not realise till I opened it about 36 hours later. And my villagers left alone on fast went a little mad and all were refusing to work as they liked lying around doing nothing!

Then I got a green box with message abut the disaster.
But there I was looking at the skeletons.

Still had my technology points and the fire was still burning. Even after 36 hours or so.
But no food and no villagers.

#172673 - 09/23/08 01:23 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MickyTeddy]
Unicorn

Thanks for the information. We will see if we can reproduce this in our studio. It would help to know what you do after you pause the game from the options screen. Click Done, then Quit? Or do you do something else?

#172751 - 09/24/08 04:27 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
MickyTeddy Offline
Adviser

Sometimes I move to the other tribe.
I have 1 nature and 1 magic.
But if I am finished playing I will after putting it on pause via Options, then press Quit.

But this day I just quit I was so upset/disheartened.
I had just upgraded to the Mac v1.0.4 and had to trash my game preferences, 2 large tribes, I tried to explain to to them at Big Fish about the fact the game had been running several months but they said it I wanted to get the upgrade I had to follow their instructions.
So it was bye bye to my 2 large tribes. Even ir oine of them had a bunch of lazt so and so's!!

I asked if I saved the preferences to my spare hard drive then downloaded the game would it work if I put my preferences back in but they said no, I did try it, but it just kept on giving me Version 1.
So I had to trash every thing and re-begin.

Already upset at losing my 2 big tribes, I had just got used to this new tribe to lose them all "poof". I had not chosen a faction either yet, I had upgraded to Restoration 2 to get the lift mended and get the new trees in place. And uncovered the Roster of the Dead. And one Master Builder was moving the rubble, the plans were on the chalkboard for the bath, and I put my other 2 Master Builders to work in Research to get more points.
So baby and all died.

All it said was unknown causes for all of their deaths.

New tribe coming along slowly.

Then later I re-opened in and began a new game with the same tribe.

Edited by MickyTeddy (09/24/08 04:30 PM)

#172756 - 09/24/08 05:03 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MickyTeddy]
Unicorn

I don't have the Big Fish Games version of VV3 to test with, but I haven't yet been able to reproduce anything like this in my testing. I will let you know if we are able to figure out why you are losing your games.

In the meantime, one thing that would help you recover more easily if that happens to you again is to make backups of your savegame files periodically. If you have a backup, you can recover your game to the last point at which you made a backup. You can find the procedures for VV3 here.

#172816 - 09/25/08 04:28 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MickyTeddy]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Quote:
But if I am finished playing I will after putting it on pause via Options, then press Quit.

That's what caused the problem! You must return to the game after using Options to pause it. The best way to pause the game is to use the space bar.

See the FAQ.

#172827 - 09/25/08 01:08 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: arnie]
Unicorn

You don't have to click "Play" for pause to take effect. The FAQ entry says, "If you paused your game using the game's Options screen, the setting will not take effect until you either exit the game or click Play." The trouble comes when you leave it on the Options or Menu screen.

#172828 - 09/25/08 01:08 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: arnie]
MickyTeddy Offline
Adviser

OK, thanks for that.
Just that was when I thought I had paused it with an old tribe, and had not, obviously did not look for the game paused, and quit and they had got up to all sorts whilst I was away for 36 hours on fast!!
So that is why I went to the Options menu and paused it there.

#172830 - 09/25/08 01:11 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: MickyTeddy]
Unicorn

Pausing from Options screen works fine, as long as you quit the game. See my post right above yours.

#173135 - 09/28/08 01:20 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
peach23 Offline

To date, I have played VV1, VV2, and am currently playing VV3, and have only had one villager (in VV1) die from starvation.

For VV3, I used the following strategy at the beginning of the game -

Start the fire.
Plant the fallen fruit.
Get honey from the bee hive. I had only one villager doing this, but I did slightly train another one just in case.
I only had 8 villagers, 2 were kids & one was a nursing mom, which left me with 4 working adults. With one assigned to farming, one or two on building (to adept level), and the other one or two on research. Cross-trained my villagers to at least adept level while keeping everyone possible on research.

It's not necessary to have several hundred food points to survive; villagers can get by on much less, so every time my food got over 150 or so, I made my farmer research too.

Don't know about anyone else \:\) but all MY villagers have ADHD. Had to constantly keep putting them back to what they were supposed to be doing.

Got the 7000 tech points to restore the lift first. Then kept two villagers (possibly three if mom is finished nursing) researching while new trees grow. Hunted for mushrooms a lot. Easiest way is to pick up a kid FIRST, then cruise around & look. Find a collectible or mushroom, drop kid #1 on it, grab another kid & keep going.

I had practically everyone trained to Elder level before choosing a chief. I hardly ever pause the game before leaving, but I do change the speed to slow. That way, the fire stays lit, and the scientists hopefully keep researching (instead of taking a bath, watching the fish, or something else equally as useful).

Hope this was helpful.

#177828 - 11/19/08 10:39 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
Old Player Offline
Adviser

How do you know when on-the-job accidents occur? I have never once seen an "Action" message on the screen indicating that a villager had an 'accident,' or was injured from one.

#177830 - 11/19/08 11:44 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Old Player]
Unicorn

The only time you would see it is if you had the villager selected (with the ellipse at his or her feet) at the time of the injury, when you would see the message, "Ouch! The villager was injured doing this task."

Since the game log has been removed in VV3 for performance reasons, you won't be able to see it there.

#180888 - 12/30/08 05:51 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
VVLolla*2 Offline
Trainee

Loc: Sri Lanka
But my vv3,
When dropping the VV ON THE FRUIT, goes and plants it in the orchard . but then after closing and re-opening it's not planted. then I check back near the primitive lift, not there even. I have to repair the lift, but till that how can I live with one limited food source? if I stop the game they won't reaserch, if I unpause the game the food source will over. It rains very rarely and the mushrooms appear very rarely.

WHAT CAN I DO ?

#180899 - 12/30/08 01:50 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: VVLolla*2]
Unicorn

Under normal circumstances, if you let the villager finish the task, and you see the tree growing in the orchard, it will continue to grow until it matures and produces fruit. If you interrupted the villager who was carrying the fruit, or if your computer's system clock was adjusted (or is not stable), you will see problems with the game.

Since you're very early in the game, it might be best to start over, unless you really like a challenging start. shocked

#180974 - 12/31/08 10:08 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
VVLolla*2 Offline
Trainee

Loc: Sri Lanka
THANK YOU LADY.
Now it's ok, it was the system clock

#181451 - 01/11/09 08:27 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: LadyCFII]
racek Offline

Loc: California for now
I've worked out that, regardless of your BEST efforts, villagers will die anyway. I've also found that it isn't such a bad thing.
I spend sooooo much time searching for mushrooms to appease the hungry tribe. When your tribe members die down to smaller populations, you don't have this issue.
I've found that a tribe of 8 or less means that my villagers are more productive, tasks are completed more efficiently (you can argue whether it is faster but I think so as the larger the tribe, it seems the larger the mass about the food storage and the minority staying on task), AND most importantly - they are much less likely to run so short on food that they die of starvation.
Allowing your population to decrease also helps you to increase your villagers in their parenting skills. I found my tribe members were constantly procreating and making my population unsustainable.

#181455 - 01/11/09 09:52 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong? [Re: racek]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

I don't allow my villagers to have any more babies until they've found out how to get rid of the sharks so they can go fishing. That solves the problem of food running out (so long as enough are on farming duties).

#182397 - 01/26/09 11:41 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Syrenia]
Cinimod Offline
Expert

Loc: California
Mushrooms sprout more in the rain?

WHY DIDN`T I THINK OF THAT!?

I stink therefore I am.

#182437 - 01/27/09 06:38 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Cinimod]
peach23 Offline

I must be doing something different, because so far, only one of my villagers has died of starvation. And I actually killed him by accident while making a potion to revive his "weakened" state.

In general, I try to limit my population until I have a big enough food source. It's either that, or spend a lot of time hunting mushrooms and keeping the game paused when I'm not actually at the computer. Farming first, is my motto.

#212725 - 11/24/09 01:04 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Syrenia]
Beeky Offline
Trainee

Yes, I don't understand that one either. But is the chief the same person wearing the robe?

Edited by Beeky (11/24/09 01:07 AM)
Edit Reason: thought I might be spoiling w/ question

#212726 - 11/24/09 01:13 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Beeky]
Beeky Offline
Trainee

How do you keep them from not having babies?

I can't prove it now, as I didn't document it, but I am certain that in the beginning there were not that many kids. The population remains at 8, yet I swear there are 2 or 3 more tiny bodies zooming around the grounds that weren't doing so yesterday. Not older kids, the tiny sized ones. And yesterday, only one woman was carrying A baby. Unless she had twins bundled in that one blanket.

Now I write down their names (but I can't alter them for a last name to keep a genetic trail) to be sure I have a handle on it.

playing on iPod touch

#212731 - 11/24/09 02:40 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Beeky]
bluemoon12 Offline
Adviser

Loc: Peace world!!!(i am not tellin...
try to feed them when there sick

(\_/)
(O O) ! MY BUNNY
(")(")

#229228 - 03/16/11 07:57 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: hop]
Kayona109 Offline

Dance! If you have puzzle 6. Take a handful of villagers, including the chief first, (easier if paused w/spacebar)to the fire pit. This is also another puzzle if they succeed.It will always give food.

#229251 - 03/18/11 03:28 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Kayona109]
IzzyJ5 Offline
Adviser

I don't know if this has been suggested but your chief can make magic food about every 24 hours.

#231470 - 06/10/12 01:55 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: IzzyJ5]
isla Offline
Consigliere

I decided to make another village and play The Secret City while my internet was down yesterday. I just want to say that it is pretty crazy to have an island event come along that took all the food away after I chose wrongly about feeding the sea otters. Now there is just no way that my villagers will stay alive with almost 3 hrs to go until that first mango tree grows. I have never had a village die on me that I can remember and it really, really sucks that that is what will probably happen. I have played all Virtual Villagers games so if LDW makes another one, then please do not allow the wiping out of food at the start of a game. That is just not fair play. Anyway, I look forward to passing along the Virtual Villagers' games to my niece. Hopefully she will like them as well.

UPDATE: Forget playing with this new tribe. I am pretty sure they will all be goners. =( I found the tribe chief and he made some magic food but it is nowhere near enough. 196 food only and 2 hrs 29 mins to go to grow one mango tree, no honey left. Why make such a cruel island event at the very beginning of the game? I would rename them "The Dead Tribe" if I could.

#231471 - 06/10/12 03:55 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: isla]
Unicorn

Arthur's games have always presented good and bad events randomly, starting from the first 15 minutes of game play, but if you want a way to keep the tribe alive until the trees are grown:

Click to reveal..
First, pause the game. Wait 24 hours and set the game speed to slow. Have your chief create magic food and pause the game again. Wait 24 hours and repeat the process. Keep doing that until they have a safe buffer of food. Then put the game back on a comfortable game speed and play as you would have before the adverse event.

#231472 - 06/10/12 06:40 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: LadyCFII]
isla Offline
Consigliere

Okay, thank you.

#232664 - 03/20/13 03:04 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Jazzo]
TigerSpirit Offline

I can't access food guide, every time I click on it, it takes me to announcements, and my villagers are dying, please can anyone help smirk

#232665 - 03/20/13 03:49 PM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: TigerSpirit]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
The link has been fixed, you should be able to access it now. laugh
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#232672 - 03/21/13 08:42 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: Xay]
TigerSpirit Offline

Thanks heaps Xay, greatly appreciated laugh

#232680 - 03/23/13 02:06 AM Re: My villagers are dying!! What am I doing wrong [Re: laurence]
TigerSpirit Offline

Originally Posted By: laurence
I play VV since almost two years, now and I can tell you:
the research tasks make the villager's health bar going down quickly as the building tasks!
The farming tasks never make it going down.
When the health bar is low select Farming or Healing in their details sceen and put your villagers in the pound. Let him doing all they want except researching or building and you'll see their health going up again!!

Laurence, where in VV is the pound??

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter