Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler

Posted by: keri

Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/03/11 12:33 AM

I can't figure out a way to "train" someone in devotion other than at the start when you have the ability to convert heathens and can get a little training started that way. Has anyone figured out a way to get training started if there is no heathen left to convert?
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/03/11 01:34 AM

There is a way, as long as you have some villagers with devotion skill already. Have you built every structure (completed every puzzle)?
Posted by: Zuleika

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/03/11 01:41 AM

Well, it does take a while to convert all the heathens.
Click to reveal..
Lots them have to be "talked to" multiple times, before they convert. And you get devotion skill every time you do that.

I've gotten two Master Devotees that way and I still have some blue-masked heathens.

If you mean after converting all the blue-masked heathens, I don't know. If the villager has some skill at devotion they will
Click to reveal..
worship the hand ("honoring") on their own, but I don't know if this increases their skill level.

Posted by: CherryDrops

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/03/11 03:05 AM

My Master Devotee always does that, but not the two others (who are trainee and adept devotees). They just walk around doing nothing, until I direct them... when there are heathens to talk to.
Posted by: keri

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/03/11 12:51 PM

Still have some puzzles to complete but at a stand still while waiting on tech points to build; pretty sure I know which structure I need to complete to be able to train them with it; the same one that the ones that converted heathens use to honor. On stage 2 now, final stages still to come.
Posted by: OkieD

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/04/11 02:56 AM

I understand how to get devotion skills by converting, but how do you pass them on? I have all the puzzles, tech points, statues, etc., solved, but everything I try to get devotion skills have failed. I am missing something. I even have a few extra babies because I tried putting people together. I have looked at the guide (page 16) and it doesn't help.

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/04/11 03:24 AM

I gave a clue to the method in my post earlier in this thread. It's the same way skills are passed on in VV4.
Posted by: RoseArienh

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/04/11 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: LadyCFII
I gave a clue to the method in my post earlier in this thread. It's the same way skills are passed on in VV4.

Thank you! This one was starting to drive me crazy.
Posted by: MsQueenyD743

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/04/11 05:00 AM

Lol, Lady I still can't figure it out. now i'm gonna have to replay VV4.
Posted by: LeeBeeG

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/05/11 06:12 AM

Aaagh!! I haven't figured this out either... VV4 guide doesn't mention it, I don't think.. if anyone can help, that'd be awesome.
Posted by: OptiTron

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/06/11 06:32 AM

Not sure if this is considered spoiler but better safe than not, right?

Click to reveal..
i am at a loss also. i built all buildings, bought all 3rd level skills and have a BUNCH of guys that have no devotion whatsoever and no more blue guys to convert! i solved all the puzzles including mama heathen, collected all the collectables Chief has been changed to worshipping the hand and i tried dropping him on the remaining yellow and red masked heathens - with no affect - and cannot figure out how to make a believer earn devotion points... i ended up with 4 villagers total at devotion 100% but now no others at all, well a few with bare minimum devotion level... Hmmm, wait up, i got a scathingly brilliant idea... will follow up tomorrow morning after some Z's and a new attempt. i also may have messed up cuz with my new "YOUNG" God power i turned my old chief into a bumbling 5 year old with all his skills intact! <G>

Posted by: OkieD

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/06/11 07:37 AM

Click to reveal..
The only way I have figured out is to pass the skill on to the children (as in paremts pass skills to off spring) and they get more in school, so they can become Masters.

Posted by: arnie

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/06/11 01:19 PM

Click to reveal..
The only way that peeps can get any Devotion skills if there are no more blue-masks to convert is by learning it in the nursery. I suggest that someone who is a Master Devotee is used as the teacher;
Click to reveal..
the converted heathen chief is ideal for that.
They can increase Devotion skills by "honoring", but you can't train a villager to do that; they have to initiate it themselves, and they will only do that if they already have some skill.

Posted by: VLGRFN

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/07/11 03:50 PM

I dropped a Believer with 100% faith on the Statue and a NOTICE came up that had to do with
Click to reveal..
polishing the statue
but it disappeared before I could read it all. What does this do to a Believer's skills? Thanks!!
Posted by: skipper45mn

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/07/11 04:11 PM

Nothing will increase building skills polishing the statue is how you train builders once all the buildings are complete along with fixing huts
Posted by: Candy_63

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/07/11 11:13 PM

That's all right, but ...

Click to reveal..
If you have a villager with devotion skill (the more the better), set the skill of this villager on "Devotion" and put him/her to the statue - he/she will polish the statue and gain building skill, but sometimes he/she will honor the statue and will gain devotion skill. I've got two masters in this way smile

Posted by: ILSherry

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/28/11 01:09 AM

I have been very conservative in converting the heathens because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough. One way to get or increase devotion skill.
Click to reveal..
If your peep has any devotion skill you can increase it by dropping him/her into the lake, provided the lake has not been revived. Dropping your person into the lake causes them to decide to do something: walk along the stream, eat, study , build, OR HONOR. When the caption says honoring, they will go to the statute. If they need to go again, just drop the peep back into the lake until they decide to honor. After they have been in the lake a couple of times they are usually trainees and will continue to gain devotion skills. It's how I have gotten most of my masters.

If they don't have any devotion skill and dropping them in the lake doesn't work, then I will have them talk to a heathen.

I haven't revived the lake yet, I'm just using the hand of bloom to keep the garden going. I just realized you can probably just drop them in place and you wouldn't need to use the lake. I'm off to see if that works.

The other way is to set both parents skills to devotion before they embrace. Hope this helps.

Posted by: candypanda57

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 01/29/11 11:54 PM

I'm not sure if my reply will have spoilers but to be safe I've used the spoiler option anyhow.
Click to reveal..
I recently trained 5 villagers in Devotion. I decided that dropping them by the statue seemed to be the only way to do it since I have already converted all the "Heathens". I always look at the skills screen of my "kids" to see what skill they seem to be drifting towards. If any one of them is leaning towards devotion I put the checkmark by that skill no matter how young they are. Once the kid reaches working age, I drop them by the statue. Now you're going to get the "polishing the statue" message but that's okay. I got the same message but decided to keep them polishing the statue anyhow. Even if they stray away from the staute and "aren't sure what to do" I just dropped them by the statue again. I did nothing else but let the game run and checked on them from time to time. Now all 5 of them have mastered "Devotion" and 3 of them have also mastered "Building" as well!! We all know that some skills from the parents can be passed on to their kids so it doesn't hurt to have your "Devotion" trained villagers have kids. I'm not sure but I think that when they are polishing the staute they must also do some "honoring" somewhere in there as well.
Hope this helps!!

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/12/11 03:56 PM

Hi Arnie,
RE: your post "They can increase Devotion skills by "honoring", but you can't train a villager to do that; they have to initiate it themselves, and they will only do that if they already have some skill." ......
I had two villagers with an inherited amount of Devotion skill. I made them both Devotees, and they honor on their own, and for about the same amount of time -- however, while one's skill is increasing (now an Adept Devotee at the halfway mark), the other still is showing 'untrained'. Why is one villager improving and the other not? Hers hasn't changed in 6 hours (fast speed) and I've watched her go to the statue numerous times. Same with him. They both have been devotees for 2 game years. Neither have had Time Warp or Grant Youth used on them. Is this a bug?

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/12/11 05:26 PM

You didn't mention how much devotion skill the other villager started with, but I see that Yasawa has a minimal amount of devotion skill. Villagers will not reliably perform a skill on their own unless they are at least trainees in that skill. While some peeps may choose to work in that skill with only a small amount of experience, most will not.

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/12/11 05:58 PM

The male also had the same amount of skill when he started improving. It looked like it was an inherited skill because it was such a minute amount. They were both the same age. That's the kicker. I even checked their likes and dislikes to see if something was holding up 'my parade', but his only said he disliked snakes. Hers, as shown, says dislikes sunlight. :-(

BTW, he's a master devotee now, and she's still trying. LOL!
Posted by: VVCX

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/13/11 12:49 AM

villagers gain skills at different speed, some of my villagers are masters at 15 and some are adept at 17-18.
Posted by: perky442

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/16/11 08:04 AM

Click to reveal..
Have a master Devotee teach at the school also in the detail make sure devotion is checked on the kids that you want to learn it. This way if you put more than one master witch I do they learn devotion opposed to say farming.

Posted by: JackiDance

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/23/11 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: LadyCFII
You didn't mention how much devotion skill the other villager started with, but I see that Yasawa has a minimal amount of devotion skill. Villagers will not reliably perform a skill on their own unless they are at least trainees in that skill. While some peeps may choose to work in that skill with only a small amount of experience, most will not.

how then can one teach a master in everything else to be a devotee trainee?
I have tried and tried to get them to "honor" but no luck. what do i do now that everything is done and I am just trying to make these four masters in everything???
Posted by: JackiDance

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/23/11 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: keri
I can't figure out a way to "train" someone in devotion other than at the start when you have the ability to convert heathens and can get a little training started that way. Has anyone figured out a way to get training started if there is no heathen left to convert?

nope and we are in the same boat...so PLEASE if anyone discovers a way to get them training in devotion, will you let us all know?????
Posted by: Tuna Puzzler

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/23/11 03:07 AM

Some of my villagers needed several childhoods to finally reach a level where they would honor on their own and start gaining skill. Once they were trained in everything else, I set them to Devotion and would grant Youth every time they reached age 14. After several times they had finally gained enough skill. Obviously, you need a Master Devotee teaching at the school, too.

Sometimes events will give them Devotion skill.

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 02/24/11 09:09 PM

only way to get devotion skill after all blue masks have been converted is check devotion skill and put villager to polish statue (and hope that he/she gains devotion) and having JOAT (like retired chief) teaching at nursery so some kids can get devotion skill (if they have any skills on devotion and are interested on it) and of course parentin master/adept devotees.

i have on my game alot devotees and more comes after nursing since most devotees i have and will get are females.

of course certain events give devotion skill or more blue masks.
Posted by: tinayoung

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 03/05/11 04:05 AM

I HAVE COMPLETED EVERYTHING, & HAVE CONVERTED ALL THE HEATHENS! CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TRAIN SOMEONE IN DEVOTION? I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING!
Posted by: smjjames

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 03/06/11 12:42 AM

@Tina: You'll have to have the adults teach at the nursery, as long as the kids have a tiny amount of skill under devotion when they reach 14, they'll be able to learn further. It may take some coaxing though to get them started.

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 03/08/11 12:27 AM

if you don't have any female adult whois at least trainee/adept devotee then w/o getting more heathens it won't be easy to get devotion skill.
Posted by: jsweeney

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 03/17/11 05:47 AM

This is how I solved it:

Click to reveal..
I started with one male 3 year old, three male 14 year old and one female 14 year old. I took turns with the males converting the blue masked heathens. As the blue masked and master heathens converted, I included any new male converts in the cycle of conversion. Eventually I had 10 males with at least trainee level Devotion. I choose males because I'm using Grant Youth to cycle them through a few life times to master all disciplines. I'm not using females because there is a bug when you Grant Youth to a female. When she starts nursing, her clock never runs down and she nurses for the rest of her life.

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 03/19/11 07:29 PM

Eternallöy nursing mothers-bug got fixed on new version.
Posted by: AlexF

devotion - 04/06/11 01:07 AM

Anyone know how to get Devotion skills? I have done all the puzzles, but my devotion died out. Several of my people have a little Devotion skill, but I cant get them to "honor", nothing works. Any ideas?
Posted by: arnie

Re: devotion - 04/06/11 10:36 AM

Assuming you've converted all the heathens, there's not really anything much you can do. You can't force villagers to "honor the statue" thereby gaining skills. They will only do it on their own, when they feel like it. All you can do is check the devotion box and hope they will improve. Those that have the most skill could be chosen
Click to reveal..
to be rejuvenated in the hope that they gain more skills over several lifetimes.

I've had the most success using the nursery. I use the retired chief as a teacher, plus others who have high devotion skills (as well as the others). Kids generally "graduate" with at least adept-level skills all round and, of course, often greater skills if they've been rejuvenated.

Posted by: IzzyJ5

Re: devotion - 04/06/11 01:47 PM

I had a girl who became a farmer. But she was always going over to the tower and honoring. I'd put her back to her job and she'd work but would just go back to the tower. So I gave up on her and played the game. Just after all my heathens were converted I noticed her as a very old lady. I was suprised when I clicked on her status because it said she was a retired chief. I didn't know someone other than the heathen chief could become a chief. I knew they could become esteemed elders but not a chief. Another delightful surprise in our VV island.

Re: devotion - 04/09/11 02:46 PM

2 chiefs is rare bug.
Posted by: *Moonlyght*

Re: devotion - 09/01/13 01:52 AM

I just got the Eternal Devotion trophy. What I did was
Click to reveal..
granting youth to a master devotee. I never thought it the other way like that, as I was trying to make a child become a devotee before turning 18!

About getting a master devotee, I got about 5 just by
Click to reveal..
converting the blue masked heathens. After converting one, just tick the devotee option on your villager's doings and he or she is going to start honoring by themselves. Once the blue heathens are converted, the only thing to do is follow arnie's advice and make a villager with devotion skills teach at the nursery

Re: devotion - 08/06/14 02:44 PM

I've been working on one of my tribes pretty relentlessly, trying to see if I could make everyone a master at all skills. It's been pretty successful, and I since I started, I have had only two villagers who just would not honor. I've started with villagers who had only the lowest skill level, which took persistence and patience, but it worked.

I'm at 101 population now, and no one is currently set to parenting. I'm rejuvenating constantly, of course. My next (and last) task will be to bring everyone up to master at parenting. I'm probably about halfway there with that.

Anyway, I realize this is an old topic, and the only reason I found it is that I wondered if anyone else had done something similar. This is how I managed to teach everyone to honor (some of you were very close, but I think my way works much better).

Click to reveal..
First, and most important, have your villagers master at least three other skills. This method seems to work much better once they have other masteries under their belt, so to speak. Set your villager to Devotion, and take them to the statue. Hover them so that the Action reads: " _____ sees a magnificent statue." Set them down near the statue, but not on it. Wait, and be prepared to do the same action a few times. When the action says "nothing", leave them alone. 8 times out of 10, "nothing" will precede "honoring" - and that's what you want.
Posted by: ErikB

Re: devotion - 08/28/14 03:29 PM

Hi,

I too am trying to get everybody to JOAT. So far I have a total of 110 peeps (including 11 who I allowed to die of old age). So far 68 out of them (including all the dead ones) have made it to JOAT. The other 42 all have 5 masters (so including parenting; in fact I never rejuvenate anybody before reaching master on parenting). In fact I have used your method in combination with
Click to reveal..
having them attend school with a JOAT teaching them, while both teacher and student have been set to Devotion
It is such a lot of work if you have a lot of peeps, which is why I have started to decrease population size in combination with
Click to reveal..
getting them a uniform for easy recognizing

Re: devotion - 08/31/14 06:00 PM

Two very good ideas, ErikB!

My plan did work, and I got everyone to JOAT and started all over again. I'm having more trouble, and some just won't honor at all, so I let them go on to old age and natural death. I'm now rejuvenating again, bringing the new tribe members into the fold. smile

Re: devotion - 09/01/14 01:40 PM

Hi RoseArienh,
Looks like there is one major difference in what we are trying to achieve. If I understand corerctly you are aiming for a tribe where everybody alive is a JOAT, while I am aiming for a tribe where everybody, both alive and dead, is a JOAT.
Since my last post I got 12 more who made JOAT, but I also suffered a setback: a random event added three children to my tribe, so I now have some extra work to do...
Also it did not really help to decrease my population size. I had one person die of old age (in his early 80's), but with the three new children population size went up by 2 to 101.
Current state:
12 dead persons (all JOATs)
101 alive (68 JOATs, 30 people who need Devotion only, 3 people who need everything still)

Re: devotion - 09/10/14 02:35 PM

You're right. Your plan is much more ambitious than mine. I decided to do this after I had completed all but a couple of the "trophies". I felt that there should be something more I could do with the tribe after all that work of bring them along. Now you have me wanting to start a new tribe and attempt what you are doing! smile

Re: devotion - 09/19/14 07:51 AM

My plan involves something called micro-management so I never let the game run while I'm not around. As a result now all the peeps from before the event that added three made JOAT. Also two of the new ones reached that milestone. The third one is a bit stubborn and still lacks on devotion. But it is climbing slowly!

By all but a couple of the trophies you probably mean the same ones I don't have yet:
Never a dull moment (currently at 48%)
Rub those sticks together(currently at 44%)
So I want events that put out the fire!

I set myself two other targets as well:
1,000,000 units of food in the supply (so not just gathered). Less than 6,000 to go.
1,000,000 tech points in store (not just collected). This one still has a long way to go. As I dress my peeps in lign with the skill they are currently being trained in, I spent a lot on clothing. Since almost everybody is a JOAT now this spending should become less. Still below the 100,000 mark though.
Posted by: jot

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 09/23/14 01:47 AM

I have been reading all the topics here and I was curious, what is a JOAT?
Posted by: MissKathyAdministrator

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 09/23/14 03:44 AM

Hello jot! smile “JOAT” is short for “Jack of All Trades.” Your villager can become a “JOAT” when he/she has mastered all 6 skills: Farming, Building, Research, Healing, Parenting, and Devotion.

There are 2 trophies in VV5 which require villagers who have mastered all 6 skills: “Jack of All Trades” and “Plentiful Polymaths.” smile

Re: Devotion Skills - Possible spoiler - 09/24/14 09:12 PM

Made it!
Or rather... made one of my additional targets...

All people in my tribe, being dead or alive, are now JOAT! So I now have 100 living JOATs (plus 13 dead).

One thing you should understand is that they only need to reach master in all skills. After reaching master they can still improve a bit (unto fully maxed out). As I am still trying to get the last two trophies I decided (just for fun) to try and get all the living to the maxed out in all skills. None there yet, but some are getting pretty close...

Status on missing trophies:
Never a dull moment: 50%
Rub those sticks together: 48%

Also made my extra target of 1,000,000 units of food in the supply. Still working on the 1,000,000 tech points in store thing. Almost half way there...