The Big Bad Scolding Hand

Posted by: scrubbs

The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 04:07 PM

Just wondering what different kinds of things that everyone scolds their peeps for?
Posted by: yuyu

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 04:10 PM

the children poking the plants and they banging the dishes
Posted by: *Vanna

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 05:07 PM

If my peeps work on their career as much or more than they do other things, i try not to scold them. as for the children, i scold for drawing on the wall and poking at the plants
Posted by: Uncommon Bug

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 05:53 PM

I may be wrong, but I think that giving them nasty candy helps much better than scolding...
Posted by: *Vanna

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 06:06 PM

yes, i give nasty candy when i have it.
Posted by: jbart321

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 06:19 PM

I scold the kids for banging the dishes.
Posted by: antonia

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 08:30 PM

I scold them for banging the dishes, poking at plants and bothering the fish. Most of the time it doesn't seem to help, they keep doing it. Even the parents are bothering the fish sometimes, they get the red glove to grin
Posted by: miskinsincap

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 08:49 PM

In one of my families, I have a triple trouble; most mischievous triplets you can see. I catch one banging the dishes and put her aside, while other is playing in the dirt, and the third is writing on the wall. Then I find the first one in the dirt, and hear a banging sound; yeah, one of the others took her shift with the dishes, and after a brief search I find the last one poking the plants. Still, they're so cute that I can hardly scold them; only when my head begins to bang with the dishes I use the red hand smile.
Posted by: kalon

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 09:25 PM

I scold for wall writing, jumping on the bed and digging holes to china. I would scold for dish banging but the noise is so irritating, it's easier (on me) just to snatch them out of there. As for the candy, one, there isn't enough and two, twice when I've used the imported candy, I had to turn around and buy medicine as it made them sick.
Posted by: stonzee

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 09:28 PM

I scold for jumping on the bed, drawing on the wall, and poking the plants. I have one 3 year old that just goes from one of these activities to the other.
Posted by: melanoma

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 10:24 PM

I say just throw them all in the pool. (gee, I'm so glad I don't live with punitive parents like you guys!) LOLOL
Posted by: fluffysue

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 11:04 PM

I mainly scold the kids for banging dishes and writing on the wall; I will also scold a kid or an adult if I praise them for something, and they accuse me of nagging and run away. They get scolded and get put back to doing what I want them to do. Yes, I have control issues. laugh

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 11:09 PM

ROFL. I am head of the Hawaiian chapter of Control Issues Anonymous. Would you like to join?
Posted by: Havetia

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 11:21 PM

I scold for drawing on the wall, bothering the fish and banging dishes. I actually praise them when they jump on the bed. whistle
Posted by: Arletta

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/18/09 11:37 PM

lol. I was showing my mum the shiny red ball earlier on, as I was demonstrating it's capabilities of not hitting the ppl, one of the children was jumping on the bed. She asked me why he was jumping on the bed. I said they did that, along with rolling in the dirt, banging dishes and drawing on the walls. She turned around and said 'Normal kid behaviour then'. I agreed.

I don't normally bother if they do these things to tell them off for it. My parents had the 'maximum' amount of children (I wonder if she got a trophy for it. I'll have to ask her) so to me it's fairly normal things to do.
Posted by: drjonah

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 12:26 AM

If both parents have office careers, I scold the children for either browsing the web or playing video games. I want the office left open for the parents to advance their careers and it drives me nuts when they can't do it because the kids are playing video games

Banging dishes is the other one that I scold for. Otherwise all the other 'child' activities I leave them alone, at least they are outside having fun and not sitting on the computer like their parents :P
Posted by: esther1981

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 04:15 AM

jumping on the bed mostly. i hardly ever use the red hand. i almost always use the green one!
Posted by: maitoi04

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 05:06 AM

I don't bother scolding the kids at all anymore, it doesn't seem to stop them from any of their naughty antics. I do use it to try to discourage some of the things my adults do like admirering themselves and throwing out the fish every ten minutes.
Posted by: Lewanda

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 06:09 AM

I never use the scolding hand on my little peeps or the adult ones, and I've never failed to get them to Master 8. Why would you all want to scold such cute little peepers for? I think the naughty things the kids do is adorable, especially the ones that make them laugh and squeal. I praise mine when they do cute things too like dancing...even the adults. They have to have liesure and fun things to do too to keep them healthy. Working all the time makes their pixel lives shorter. Also too much of the red glove gets them down. My peeps happy mark is always at tilt...I think that makes them healthier and live longer. If they're doing things you think are a waste of time just move them back to doing what you want them to do. Lighten up guys! They're only pixels (Cute ones though). smile Enjoy the little guys. It's not like they're going to grow up to be criminals if you allow them to jump on the beds or mark on the walls.

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 06:21 AM

I used the red hand once when whatsherface kept popping her zits (eeewwww!)

I tend to nag sometimes ("hurry up and make money; there's pinball machine I want!")

We're so funny!
Posted by: Arletta

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Lewanda
I never use the scolding hand on my little peeps or the adult ones, and I've never failed to get them to Master 8. Why would you all want to scold such cute little peepers for? I think the naughty things the kids do is adorable, especially the ones that make them laugh and squeal. I praise mine when they do cute things too like dancing...even the adults. They have to have liesure and fun things to do too to keep them healthy. Working all the time makes their pixel lives shorter. Also too much of the red glove gets them down. My peeps happy mark is always at tilt...I think that makes them healthier and live longer. If they're doing things you think are a waste of time just move them back to doing what you want them to do. Lighten up guys! They're only pixels (Cute ones though). smile Enjoy the little guys. It's not like they're going to grow up to be criminals if you allow them to jump on the beds or mark on the walls.

lol my thoughts exactly, Lewanda. Though admittedly them growing up to be criminals was worrying me slightly. I could just picture a master thief as a legitimate career in VF
Posted by: fluffysue

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/19/09 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: melanoma
ROFL. I am head of the Hawaiian chapter of Control Issues Anonymous. Would you like to join?

If it means I get to go to Hawaii, sure! laugh
Posted by: emri

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 06:19 AM

I always use the red hand when the kids are bad.I only have to use it 1 or 2 times,and they dont do the bad deed again.I think of VF as a game.To me the peeps arent real.

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 06:27 AM

Arletta, that's so funny! Surely Arthur wouldn't have programmed such a career as that for our cute little peepers. smile
Posted by: Simsane

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 08:39 AM

The red hand actually works for you emri? I've tried it several times for several different things and have found it does no good at all.

What does work for me though is to pick them up from whatever they are doing that is bugging me (writing on the walls, jumping on the bed, digging a hole to China and banging the dishes -- I don't buy the fish tank for them anyway) and putting them somewhere else such as the toys, the sandbox, the pool, the radio, etc. and then praising them. I've found over time, that this works way better. They stop doing the things that I don't like and only do the things I do like.

Although I have found that the red hand does work better on the adults, but the only thing I scold them for is the Popping a Pimple thing, that drives me nuts, lol!
Posted by: Ladycrash

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 10:56 AM

I found if you let the kids "dig the hole to china", sooner or later you can catch them chasing gophers. That is really funny. Virtual "Whack a Mole". Lol

I don't like the drawing on the walls, but after the workshop walls have been repaired, I've not had a problem with it.

Hate the "banging dishes" though. That's about the only thing I use the red glove for, unless I have the nasty candy, then I'll use that instead.

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 10:59 AM

LOL, emri, no they're not real...they're only pixels, but they're the cutest little pixels I've ever seen and can sure grow on you in their short virtual lifetimes. smile

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 11:00 AM

I always end up getting the gopher game even though I don't let mine dig holes to China. Like your reference to "Whack a Mole" though, made me smile. My grandson used to just LOVE that game. smile

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 11:06 AM

Exactly what I was saying Simsane...They'll do what you praise them most for. Also Arthur put the nasty candy in the store as a way to scold them without harming their happiness level. They're healthier when they're at their happiest.

I love it when they write on the walls, play in the dirt, or anything else that makes them giggle and laugh. I love to hear the laughter of little kids.

With the pimple thing; I just move them away from the mirror when they start doing that which seems to result in their doing it less.

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 11:14 AM

Oh, in reality, Lewanda, I've rarely scolded the adults for doing that either. I mostly grab them and plop them somewhere else when I see that's what they intend to do. Same with the kids when they want to do that as well. But I have tried the red hand on the adults for that and the couple that I did try it on did seem to stop.

I rarely ever see the salty candy in the store and I've read some scary stuff on these forums about the foreign candy, so that really only leaves either the red hand (which DOES NOT work on my kids) or moving them and praising them which does work. smile

I have the feeling that the game developers were trying to "teach" the players that positive reinforcement is better and more effective than hitting, don't you? wink

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 11:30 AM

Yes I do Simsane! I raised my son that way, and everyone balked about my 'spoiling' him. Though he's always been such a good boy. He was such a good student that he got an exemption from having to do final exams in his senior year, and has a scholarship waiting when he gets out of the army (He joined about halfway through his senior year). Because of his scores being so high he when to airborne jump training right out of basic training. We were told that he was a first...that they don't get to go to airborne school that soon. Now he's army airborne special forces and is in the Middle East protecting the rest of us (even those who complain about our military over there). You couldn't find a finer young man if you looked the country over. So from that I can say that, yes positive reinforcment does work much better than punishment. By the way; If I sound like a proud mother it's because I am. smile
Posted by: scrubbs

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 12:06 PM

applause applause applause to your Son and everyone else that is or has protected this country!!!!!

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 05/21/09 12:13 PM

Thank you Scrubbs! They need to know that they're appreciated. There were two soldiers killed by a bomb just a few miles from where my son is right now. They really need to know that we care! Also we need to know that those that are over there volunteered just like my son. We have no draft today.
I forgot to say that it was only two days ago that this happened with the two soldiers killed by the explosion.
Posted by: mascobabe

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 07/05/10 07:40 AM

I wonder if praising and scolding has effects to the peeps equivalent to the daytime (morning/noon/afternoon/evening/night) or weakness?
That means if I praise s.o. for working in the evening and scolding for other things at the same time (and vice versa), will he prefer working in the evening and do other things doring the day?
Posted by: arnie

Re: The Big Bad Scolding Hand - 07/05/10 11:52 AM

I wouldn't think the time of day would have any effect. You might try it for a while to see what happens, but I suspect you'd get a very confused peep! smile

Actually, I don't know, but I've always assumed that each use of the scolding glove will cancel out a use of the praising glove, and vice versa. Therefore if you praise a peep say five times and scold him four times, the net result would be the same as if you'd praised him once.