Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not

Posted by: virtualbrenda

Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:03 PM

Ok, there was a thread about scolding & food, but since the update I've noticed a change in the food bar. It seems to drop down a lot faster than before and I find myself having to prepare more meals to keep them from getting too low in the 'fed' bar (not complaining - just an observation). Also, if I praise them for preparing a meal, will they eventually 'get it'?

I wondered if others are noticing this, & if so are you preparing more meals or letting them get hungry and do they end up making meals themselves out of desperation?

And has anyone tested out exclusive organic foods vs non organic food families?
Posted by: SoulSmilen

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:09 PM

Yes, I've noticed it too, and haven't tested it to the extent to see how far down the bar will go. This is the first time I've ever had anyone's level say 'hungry'. It now forces me to pause the game when I'm away when I didn't have to before.. I'm not liking it at all. smile

Having said that, it doesn't seem to matter how often I praise for preparing a meal now, they 'get it' less than before. It's the first part of the game I've been disappointed in since the release though, when others haven't liked other aspects, so I'll take the bad with the good I suppose. One of the things I liked about this game was that it was more user friendly in the sense that I didn't have to sit with it as much as the VV games; that's not the case with this change now. smirk frown
Posted by: arnie

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:12 PM

That change was made in version 1.00.04. See the readme.txt file. I prefer it. In the early versions They'd perhaps prepare a meal at the beginning of the game and their "Fed" bar would always stay high, so long as the fridge was stocked up with food. We'd never see them preparing or eating a meal later. When the peeps begin to get a little hungry now they'll start preparing a meal.

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: arnie
That change was made in version 1.00.04. See the readme.txt file. I prefer it. In the early versions They'd perhaps prepare a meal at the beginning of the game and their "Fed" bar would always stay high, so long as the fridge was stocked up with food. We'd never see them preparing or eating a meal later. When the peeps begin to get a little hungry now they'll start preparing a meal.

So you have seen them prepare a meal arnie? I was just a little worried if I didn't prepare meals to have their fed bar up high before turning the game off for the night they might go hungry. I have it reversed, so I'm turning the game off halfway through 'their day'.
Posted by: Natasha88D

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:17 PM

Since the update (.04) I've noticed mine preparing meals even before they hit the 'hungry' mark on their 'Fed' bar. I'm sure they'll be okay, if you leave them for a while, especially if you've been praising them for preparing meals. I could be wrong, just saying, I haven't praised mine for preparing meals and they still do it without prompting or even getting so much as 'hungry'.
Posted by: arnie

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:25 PM

I'm seeing the same as Natasha. Someone will start preparing a meal unprompted. I've see a couple with a status of "Hungry" when I've opened the game, but they've immediately made a meal. I don't think there's any danger of them starving so long as there's food in the fridge.

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:29 PM

Yup, I think we realized it was in the update.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Not having to babysit the feeding part of the game was one of the main factors that made me like this more than VV and is what allowed me to enjoy daily advancements even though I am not able to play the game as often as others.

It totally changed the dynamic of the game for me and once again made it a game like VV where I can only enjoy the advancements on the weekends.

I don't know why it was needed; I often saw my families prepare meals before, and even "calling children to dinner". I have one family out of 5 who does it on their own and it's not from anything I've done; it just started happening with the change.
As for the others, even though I *did* see them preparing meals on their own before, I don't now; I have to initiate it.

Also, it takes more than one sitting to get full, even if the bar was more than 1/2 full before the meal; that's pretty tedious.

Just my .02.

Adding to comment above: the only family that fixes their own meals now is the family started after updating with .04.
Posted by: Dragoness

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:42 PM

I never pause my game and my peeps still manage to get fed without me. No one is starving. I think just keep the house stocked with food and they will do the rest.
Posted by: mappam

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:43 PM

Has anyone gotten a "time-Line" on the amount of food they need per hour?

I left my families with over 200 food for the night and when I woke up most of them were Hungry.

It would be good to know how much food you need to leave them if you have to leave them alone for a period of time.
Posted by: ArthurAdministrator

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 07:49 PM

They are not going to starve if there is food. Period.

You can verify that by leaving them alone for a while and checking their health when you get back, it should be quite high (barring any illness).

The change we recently made, in fact, was a fix because they were stuffing themselves in game-off. Now, they will eat normal amounts while they are unsupervised, and the food will last longer so they can survive much longer unattended.

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 08:24 PM

I'll try that then, although nervously.. lol

Thanks Arthur.
Posted by: dmbson

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 09:11 PM

hmm, i might just try an all organic family. see if maybe they live past 60. or maybe don't look 60 when they're 45 lol.
Posted by: Narasan

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/04/09 09:37 PM

I try to use organic foods, if I don't I end up getting emails from them asking for a different type of food LOL

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/05/09 03:34 PM

I use nothing but organics and still get that email, even when I have close to 2000 units of food (that used to always be purchased as all 4 food groups at once). Because of that, the email about different foods confused me at first. Now when I get it I buy bread and that's it; we all know why the bread dwindles faster, don't we? LOL

Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/05/09 03:49 PM

Well since Arthur put the .05 version on the sticky, I figured that I might try what you did SoulSmilen, deleting all my families and starting from scratch. I backed them up though, in case I miss them. whistle

Anyway, I didn't feed my old families last night, and took a note of the food quantity and it had dropped, so they were eating while the pc was off. Their fed bar was low, but not low enough where anyone was starving. So they do seem to feed themselves.

In my new family, I noticed the husband started a meal on his own pretty well within the first hour of starting the family. He even cleaned up himself too. Good on him. laugh

I have only bought organic when it's been on special because they haven't earned enough money yet.

Edit: Oh maybe it was Simsane that started new families. Maybe it wasn't you SoulSmilen. I'm getting confused who did what lately. blush
Posted by: dmbson

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/05/09 09:19 PM

i'm still doing the organic experiment on one family. when one thing is on sale, i buy two and then save one.
Posted by: Lewanda

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/06/09 03:45 AM

Hi Bren, yes, I've noticed if I feed mine mostly organic foods they tend to live a bit longer and stay healthier. If the money is tight you can feed partly organic and partly the other foods.
Posted by: msnana

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/06/09 09:03 PM

I have noticed something also, their food used to go up 200 with regular food and 300 with organic. It seems like its less than that now.
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/06/09 09:27 PM

It's exactly the same in all the versions until 1.00.05 (which has been reduced because of adjustments to food consumption); however, if the peeps decide to eat just when you buy a bag of groceries, you might not see the full amount put away.

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/07/09 07:16 AM

I'm 99% sure the store provides 150 units of normal food, and 250 units of organic food now. Which was 200 & 300 before.

But, they eat a LOT less through the night without being affected at all. I've watched my family heat up food, snack and also prepare meals. Often the parents will call the kids to eat, but don't often eat themselves, so I'm praising them for sitting down to eat and will see if they do it themselves.

The fed bar is often lower now than earlier versions, but I don't see any problems with the family members health due to it. They seem to keep themselves topped up and it's much better than a full fed bar and an empty fridge that cost a fortune every day to refill. laugh
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/07/09 02:31 PM

Yes, I just checked on .05 and the adjustments that Arthur made to the game include reducing the amount of food in a bag of groceries, along with the adjustments to food consumption. It makes sense, since the groceries aren't depleted as quickly in .05 as they were in earlier versions.

You can read Arthur's comments about the 'Fed' meter to see his perspective on it. smile

Re: Feeding the family - prepare meals and organic or not - 05/07/09 04:27 PM

Thanks for the confirmation LadyCFII. I was hoping my math wasn't that bad. laugh

I think it's a BIG improvement as I've saved heaps of money in food bills. smile