[Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers?

Posted by: XayAdministrator

[Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 11/25/08 01:28 AM

I'm curious to find out how people name their villagers. Do you keep track of families by adding a common name? Do you hyphenate names for families? Do you keep the original names? Do you have a random naming system?

Feel free to answer these questions or add your own and give details laugh
Posted by: Joine The Great

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 11/25/08 02:08 AM

I have a naming system based on appearance at birth.

For example, your avatar Xay I would name "Flower" due to the flowers on her head, and the very bright colors she is wearing.

My faveorite villager had short red hair, a headband, and a black dress. She was named "Karrot", because she looked like she had a carrot-top (I still miss little Karrot).

And all my chiefs, wheter boy or girl, always have the name Chiefy.
Posted by: elizabeths184

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 11/25/08 02:19 AM

That sounds really cute! laugh

I usually leave the names as they are, unless I already have a villager with that name or if it doesn't seem to suit the villager.

In those cases I just name them the first thing that pops into my head - sometimes it's a name I've had before in Villagers that I liked, or sometimes I choose a letter and then make up a name that sounds quite 'Villagery' laugh
Posted by: arnie

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 11/25/08 03:21 PM

I mostly keep the villagers' names that were assigned by the game. On occasion I have named villagers if they remind me of someone; for instance one villager I renamed "Amy" after Amy Winehouse.
Posted by: VVGirl99

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/28/08 05:09 AM

I rename them but keep the first letter of their original name the same.
Posted by: Danni

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/28/08 08:05 AM

I do the opposite I change the first letter in there names and keep the rest of the original name lol
Posted by: VVFanatic

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/29/08 05:48 AM

I usually always keep the original villagers name & I also let the villagers have "last names" but the last names are #'s like if the guys name wuz Koi 2 & he married someone named Pari 4 the child would be Lily 2 because she takes the fathers last name like in real life then I no which people are realated to each other & the same people always marry eachother......
Posted by: VVLolla*2

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/29/08 04:29 PM

I put my Family members' name :Ds
Posted by: TG3

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/29/08 07:07 PM

What I usually do is with the first villagers,I give them last names...and it's in alphabetical order...the oldest last name and first name starts with A...and so far until the youngest.Then when two villagers has a baby,whichever gender it is,he/she will either have the beginning letter of the father's name or the mother's name.So if it was a boy,it will have the father's first initial in his name and the father's last name.If it was a girl,it will have the mother's first initial and the father's last name.

Do you guys know what I mean?
I think it's very easy to determine which child belongs to who or which family he/she is in. smile
Posted by: Isolove

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/29/08 07:14 PM

I name them in chinese sometimes, XD I mainly keep their names that they came with, but if I don't like it or I think of a better name then I name them differently. Sometimes I name them my friends' names laugh
Posted by: VVGirl99

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 12/29/08 08:15 PM

That's cool
Posted by: forever village

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 04:26 PM

I keep mine the same, but i add a last name so i dont in-breed.
Posted by: Lukerie

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 04:48 PM

I've tried that last name thing before and by the time they get to population 100 there is only one last name on everyone. What last name do you name the kids?

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 04:50 PM

the fathers, i find it simpler that way, but i try to get both a girl and a boy out of two people

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 05:23 PM

Right now im giving last names to everyone and im just gonna have the childs last name a mix of the two, so when they are over 18 i know who their parents are.

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 06:15 PM

great idea
Posted by: virtualruler

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 06:21 PM

me, ill have my favorite two villagers girl and boy make them do all the skills and have children and name them but i only let them have children not any1 else

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/26/09 07:48 PM

The other villagers dont work?
Posted by: Cipher

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 01/31/09 11:13 PM

I name my villagers whatever I want. I named one Taz because he liked running. I name one Tuk because his name was Truk and I didn't like that. Sometimes I give them last names. Here is a list of villager names I have:
Mama
Lomai
Maupiti
Alitipa
Vuaki
Bora
Udu
Febi ma
Hiapo da
Tuk
Java ma
Meza ma
Ginger
Miti
Sanda
Kipukai
Yasawa
Bora
Leo
Leona
Taz da
Tita
Kolea
Bua wa
Makara
Watsuki
Titaua
Posted by: Becca123

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/01/09 01:45 AM

I like to base village names on their clothes and likes/dislikes. For example, a grey haired villager who likes science would be Einstein. wink laugh
Posted by: bethlham

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/01/09 01:57 AM

I used to name mine after family members...but that became waaay to sad when they died. Now I just leave them as they come, except the occassional villager who doesn't like running, working, learning or some combination of those...then they get re-named to beach bum, or beach bunny or something along those lines. laugh
Posted by: Joine The Great

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/01/09 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Becca123
I like to base village names on their clothes and likes/dislikes. For example, a grey haired villager who likes science would be Einstein. wink laugh

That's what I named a guy once! I was sad when he died. frown
Posted by: iloveallofyawl

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/03/09 07:54 PM

Some of the time I keep the original name (if space permits) and add a last name that corresponds to their favorite job, especially with the first villagers. Then as the game progresses, I usually re-name the children when they reach maturity. Also, I " TRY " to come up with funny or rhyming or discriptive names. Truk becomes Truk/Driver, Qweenie becomes Qweenie/Meaney, etc...Over time I sure have come up with some really outrageously funny names...lol...
Posted by: beda

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/03/09 11:48 PM

Hi...I'm new on the forums and glad to participate! I've been a VV player for a long time...really enjoying the new version and psyched for the 4th to come out the 1st QTR of 2009....
I rename all my baby villagers...I enjoying coming up with new name! I just have fun with it...have thought about looking up names in a baby book...LOL...As you know the villagers have personalities! I do name them according to their personalities too...I've named the baby girls after flowers...planets...USA states...rivers...herbs...there's an endless supply of ideas for names...hope I inspired you!!!
I am like the rest of you...I get sad when my villagers die...I usually have one of the other villagers honor the dead...or reflect..

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/05/09 08:40 AM

Quote:
psyched for the 4th to come out the 1st QTR of 2009....

That's not VV4, that's another game entirely. VV4 has been started, apparently, though, so it should come out later this year.

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/05/09 09:22 AM

ya its a brand new game that noone nows what it is its 85%done and should be done soon vv4 wont be done till probley a year from now
Posted by: HappyPlayer

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/05/09 10:06 AM

I have been thinking of giving them last names that are numbers. Has anyone else tried this?
Posted by: laurence

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/05/09 01:24 PM

Numbers?!? Please!!!

(It has been already done to humans... in Europe, during the last World War... mad)

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/06/09 06:11 AM

ouch

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/06/09 07:28 AM

you can name them a name and number their last names and when two people have kids, you put the numbers together, for example, villager 2 + villager 5= villager 25

It is an easy way to remember who their parents are.
Posted by: HappyPlayer

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villager - 02/06/09 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: laurence
Numbers?!? Please!!!

(It has been already done to humans... in Europe, during the last World War... mad)

shocked Oh my! I'm so sorry!! I didn't even think how it sounded! eek I was meaning something like what Lukerie says here:
Originally Posted By: lukerie
you can name them a name and number their last names and when two people have kids, you put the numbers together, for example, villager 2 + villager 5= villager 25

I should have given an example. eek You can be sure, I always treat my villagers with the utmost respect and Guiding Hand kindness! smile However, I don't want to cause any trouble, so I'll drop the idea. And I deeply apologize to anyone offended. frown
Posted by: Becca123

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/06/09 10:52 AM

I also have a way of last naming villagers. All my original villagers names automatically become the last name of their child.

Example: I have three girls: Waiata, Kia, and Lomai. I also have three boys: Nolo, Moto, and Tui. If Lomai and Tui have a baby, the last name will be Tui if it is a boy and Lomai if it is a girl.

After that I just keep repeating the last names. It's a good efficient way of keeping track of your villagers. It is also good if you like to see what original villager your tribe came from. smile
Posted by: laurence

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/06/09 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: lukerie
I do the same but with... the names!! For example, my last born is "Waipi PaiRuk", daughter of Pai and Ruku! (And she's so cute!! grin)

It's ok, HappyPlayer! wink wink

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/06/09 06:33 PM

Quote:
villager 2 + villager 5= villager 25

I make that villager 7. wink

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/06/09 08:19 PM

lol thats real smart
`
Posted by: redskinsvsgiants

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/07/09 03:13 AM

I use the fathers first name as the mother and children of the unions last name and use something in the same catagory as the mother. Like storm=father, Rose=mother, girl child will be like Daisy storm, or a boy child will be like Weed storm. lol
Posted by: KayyRox!

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 02/08/09 06:54 AM

I usually leave them alone. But if I dont, I make a theme per village. Like drinks or clothing. And I label the village's name that name. Cool huh? laugh
Posted by: Dandep

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 06/18/09 04:35 PM

Wow. The numbers thing... If someone wants to assign numbers to their villagers, I think its their perogative. I also gave numbers to one of my villages as a way of trying to keep up with who's who and did not once feel that village was any less important than any of the others. I have tried the various ways mentioned by others, but the best way for me to keep track of parentage was just to keep a family tree of my own. As for names, half of the time I keep the names the same. Sometimes I will alter it if the name is too weird or if I already had a villager named that. In one village I gave all Anglo names in alphabetical order. It was a trial to find "real" names in the letter Q after several generations. And yes, I look at baby names on websites to find some of my names.
I love VV and VF. Happy naming!
Posted by: VV3 girl123

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 07/01/13 10:08 PM

I do last names too, like for example, If Meza Uppleware marries Rapo Sander, the kid( s) become Sanders, So they usually inherit their father's last name but sometimes their mother's, These are the last names I use:

Sander
Uppleware
Tolstoy, or if female, Tolstoya
Jones
Awen, female Awena
Goldyson

And always, there's a royal family, so King or Queen or Prince or Princess counts as a last name, like Prince Raku. grin grin
Posted by: Joyful Abundance

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 05/05/14 12:43 PM

Some tribes I leave the game's names, but change them if some outstanding characteristic surfaces. Like I had one farmer who was doggedly persistent from the very start, he never wandered off to pick coconuts when it was time for the crops to come in, became Master Farmer really young and was the tribe's 1st esteemed Elder. I renamed him "Steady Eddie" because whatever task I put him to he would stick with it.

Another tribe I named all the first generation with names starting with "Z" - when a "Z" mom & "Z" dad had a baby, that next generation I gave names starting with "Y" and so forth thru the alfabet. I have tribes with Spanish names, tribes with Hebrew names, tribes with Russian names, tribes with names from Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series...
Posted by: AriaSparkle

Re: [Spoilers?] How do you decide what to name your villagers? - 07/05/16 06:07 PM

I like to stick with the game generated names for my villagers. When a villager is named the same thing as another villager, then I put a roman numeral at the end of their name (Umara, Umara II, Umara III, etc.).