[SPOILERS] Hmm couple of questions?

Posted by: KaeChan

[SPOILERS] Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 05:17 AM

Umm, I bought the 2nd level of leadership. How do I get my chief to educate them?

My chief is 10 now btw.

Also how come sometimes my scientists health drops a little? They just work. I didn't let them make potions.

Why are all 4 of scientists walking so slow? The youngest is 23 the older 30 what's the matter?

And before I do the rumble puzzle. Should I keep building huts?

Btw \:\) if you read my post on if anyone had an annoying problem with just getting girls instead of boys. My last baby born was a boy :).
Posted by: isla

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 05:32 AM

You have to wait until your child chief becomes an adult at age 18. Then just drop the Chief on a child and he will educate them once every 24 hrs.

Research is a hazardous occupation and sometimes scientists get hurt on the job. Their health usually improves over time.

I don't know why they're walking slow. Maybe that's normal speed and seems slow to you?

Rumble puzzle?

Congrats on the boy baby!

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 05:34 AM

the rock clearing puzzle \:\)

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 05:55 AM

It depends on what your goals are. Building huts allows for higher population which gives you more workers so if that's a goal of yours, then I'd build the huts first.

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 06:06 AM

\:\) Thank you...Um any tips on getting to 50,000 tech points? I need to get rid of those sharks.
Posted by: Megthebookworm

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 06:18 AM

If you find a collectible put a child on it pause the game get another child unpause the game and put the other child on the collectible quickly and you'll get extra tech points. Not much, but it's better then nothing
Posted by: Lurkily

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 06:25 AM

Getting lots of collectibles helps; for gathering those you have, you get tech. If you're diligent, you can get more tech points from collectibles than from research, especially if you double-up or triple-up on them, which you can do if you're especially quick.

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 06:26 AM

Strategy helps for getting tech points. I piled the Chief and all of my villagers except one farmer onto building the 2nd hut. After they were done with that, I piled them all onto research until I got 50,000 tech points. I just bought the L2 farming. But my strategy for this 2nd tribe is to solve the puzzles later.
Posted by: squawky

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 05:19 PM

It may seem like it would take longer, but it's worth it to spend the points on L2 Science - even though it costs you 11,000 points, your researchers will earn points faster, so they'll get to that 50,000 faster than if you didn't buy science.

I'd skip building anything for a while (I don't think the orchard can sustain more than 10-15 villagers anyway) and put everyone on the research table - no building, no farming, no babies. If the food runs low, your villagers will go gather fruit on their own anyway (if they have some farming skill), so the bin shouldn't empty.

(At least, that's how my tribes have worked - I didn't keep a villager on farming until after the sharks were dealt with. But I kept the village population below 15, too.)

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: squawky
It may seem like it would take longer, but it's worth it to spend the points on L2 Science - even though it costs you 11,000 points, your researchers will earn points faster, so they'll get to that 50,000 faster than if you didn't buy science.
Not knowing the benefit in numbers from buying science, I'm always very leery of buying it before level two of a faction; I can't quantify that it will make up those 11,000 points that I spent by the time I get 50,000 tech points.

On the other hand, the earlier you buy science (And magic L1, should you choose that) the more benefit you gain from it, since it is only of great usefulness before you complete your tech tree; after that, it's only good for the sewing hut.
Posted by: squawky

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 07:44 PM

I worked out the benefits of the science tech for VV2 - haven't a chance to do it for VV3 yet, plus the complication of the different factions, but....

(stuff about VV2 deleted).

Did a quick eyeball test - in my 3-4 minutes of checking (village with no faction chosen), an adept scientist at L1 Science produced 7 tech points for each success. A master scientist produced 9 points. After purchasing L2 Science, these values went up by ~25% (adept from 7 to 9, master from 9 to 12). Not as useful as VV2, note.

So which is more efficient? Here's a quick breakdown by number of times a villager has to be successful to complete the task (I round all fractions up):

With L1 Science, earning 50,000 tech points
-- 7,143 successes by an adept (50,000/7)
-- 5,556 successes by a master (50,000/9)

To earn L2 Science (11,000) and then 50,000 tech points:
-- 7,128 successes by an adept (11,000/7 + 50,000/9)
-- 5,390 successes by a master (11,000/9 + 50,000/12)

Faster? Probably. Tremendously faster? Probably not, although I'll note that we're not looking at the chances of success for each task. It's possible that the villagers are more likely to succeed (and earn tech points) at higher levels of science tech, so not only do they need to be successful fewer times, but they are going to be successful more often and earn points faster.

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 08:05 PM

So buying both science first and L2 faction will take less time than just buying the faction; good to know. Thanks for sharing your numbers! If you have anything else to share, please do; I've already compiled the numbers on food, so any other data on the game mechanics would be helpful, and I may make a post later on all the 'hidden' mechanics I can get data on.

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 09:08 PM

Strange I have L2 of science,med,alc,and leadership...And only level one of my nature.

I only have 18,000 points.
Posted by: XiloDragon

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 09:16 PM

If you find a collectible put a child on it pause the game get another child unpause the game and put the other child on the collectible quickly and you'll get extra tech points. Not much, but it's better then nothing

not in vv3. only in vv2.
Posted by: XiloDragon

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 09:17 PM

i tried it in vv3 but it doesn't work

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 09:34 PM

This can be done in VV3 as well, the technique is simply different. [spoiler]
--Pause the game, and drop a child on the collectible.
--Then pick up another child, hold it over the collectible, and quickly unpause and drop the child AFTER unpauseing.
--If you're very quick, you can pause the game again, picking up another child, unpausing the game and dropping the child for a third pickup.
[/spoiler]
Posted by: Tuna Puzzler

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Lurkily
This can be done in VV3 as well, the technique is simply different.

I do it slightly differently, and have become quite good at getting 4 kids at once:

[spoiler]
--pause the game and drop one kid
--grab three more and take them right next to the item
--hold one of them over the item, unpause, and drop
--quickly grab the other two and drop them in
[/spoiler]

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/24/08 10:34 PM

I have trouble doing that, because the screen likes to pan whenever you're holding someone even slightly off-center on the screen, making fast precision difficult.
Posted by: Tuna Puzzler

Re: Hmm couple of questions? - 06/25/08 01:17 AM

Hmm, I haven't noticed that. The only time I fail is when I'm imprecise in my grabbing and grab dirt instead. Usually that happens if they run off too fast. I've gotten really good at it though.