[SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs?

Posted by: slh

[SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/14/08 09:59 PM

I have the tutorial turned on, and one of my villagers fell sick. I dragged a child onto him, and got the tutorial message "nice try, but children don't work..." Then I got a second message "your villager is still sick. Drag the same villager onto the sick villager..."

I think since it's already told me I can't use a child for this, it shouldn't say "the same" villager. If it was an adult it would be appropriate, but perhaps it should check if it was a child and in that case say "another villager"
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/14/08 10:08 PM

The tutorial is somewhat limited in how it can respond to what you do. It assumes that you will use an adult, and isn't programmed to use a different message if you happened to use a child. That's not likely to be changed, since it would require too much rework of the tutorial and would risk introducing bugs. \:o
Posted by: funmel76

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/14/08 10:55 PM

I did the same thing and got no message. The child healed the villager. Hmm.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/14/08 11:02 PM

Children can heal sick villagers in VV3, as they could in previous VV games. This is only a small tutorial issue.
Posted by: lilstar

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:23 AM

i have a problem everytime i try to type my name in to start playing it gives me an illegal what up with that

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:30 AM

What name are you trying to enter? And it gives you an illegal what?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:34 AM

Error:Access violation at 0x0012E3B1(tried to write to 0x00000000)Program Terminated
when you go type the name you wish to call your tribe

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:35 AM

What name are you trying to enter? Does it contain any special characters?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:36 AM

badgirl

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:40 AM

i want to buy the game but not until i get this problem fixed
Posted by: ArthurAdministrator

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:45 AM

Could you please verify on the main menu which exact build number this is? Is it 1.00.01?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:45 AM

I'll be happy to figure this out with you. We obviously don't want it crashing..ever.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:48 AM

version 1.00.02

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:53 AM

Ok. We are looking into this. In the mean time I would suggest you uninstall the game....manually delete these folders if they do not uninstall:
Program Files/Virtual Villagers - The Secret City
My Documents/LDW/Virtual Villagers - The Secret City

Delete the installer (VV3Setup) and redownload it.

Then reinstall and try again. Are you on XP or Vista, or Mac?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:54 AM

xp

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 12:58 AM

Try the reinstall, maybe throw in a reboot of your machine. Let me know of the problem persists.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:07 AM

still does it sighs

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:12 AM

Does it crash while you are typing in your name? Or right after you press ok? What is the LAST thing you see before the error?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:15 AM

when i try to even put the first letter in

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:16 AM

does it let you put the first letter in? or does it crash while it is drawing the popup window? Or does it draw the window, wait for you to start typing, then crash on the first letter?

These questions help me understand where the code is failing.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:17 AM

is there another version i could try and download

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:18 AM

the window pops up and as i type it it automatically gives that error when i hit the first letter it gives that

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:21 AM

There is not another version yet, but these clues might give us the info we need to fix the game for you.

Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed? You might try, before you enter your tribe's name, switching to the other mode (windowed or fullscreen...whichever you are NOT currently using).

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:21 AM

i tried to use both

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:32 AM

Ok. I'll PM you when we have another idea or another build to try. We're checking it out, I assume you.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 01:47 AM

ty for your help and really hope it can get resolved soon
Posted by: VillageMom

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 02:43 PM

I am having a problem similiar to this only with a couple different numbers and letters thrown into my error code. And I don't even get to name my tribe name. My screen just goes black like it wants to load the game and then it just gives me an error. Sometimes if I'm lucky I get to hear the opening bar of the music, but that's as far as I get although I have somehow managed to use up nearly all of my free trial without ever getting to play. I've done all the things mentioned here as well as those in a different post that was dealing with fish or plant tycoon. I can't imagine why my pc wouldn't be compatible with the game as I've played both vv1 and 2 on it. The only difference is that hubby has installed vista and for the last two games we had xp. Same pc just different operating systems. Does anyone know why?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 03:12 PM

It would be very helpful if you could provide the error code. It's very difficult to determine what happened without that information. Vista is a very different operating system from Windows XP, and sometimes you need to change some settings.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 04:54 PM

Ya. That sounds like a different crash.
Posted by: VillageMom

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 06:14 PM

OK, first I get "Could not open display. Error code=0xc8660160". Then I click OK on that one and get "Error: Access violation at 0x004A8930 (tried to read from 0x00000004) program terminated". When I click OK on that one I hear the music for a second and then nothing. And windows searching the internet for a solution never turns up anything.

I'm not particularly computer savvy, but I've changed all the settings I can find with no luck. And my husband, who is good with a computer, did stuff for about 2 hours last night and couldn't make it work either. (Although he could have realized that fixing it would mean the kids and I would be ignoring him for the next few weeks caring for our villages and just PRETENDED to try to fix it. \:\) )

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 06:41 PM

That is an error that can probably be fixed by changing some settings. You can refer to this answer in our Support FAQ for procedures that should help you. It's for VV2 (since I don't have all of the VV3 support stuff in yet), but the answer is the same for both games.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 09:55 PM

anything new on the problem i had yesterday of how it is coming along

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 11:38 PM

Nothing yet. Arthur will contact you when he has something for you to try.
Posted by: isla

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/15/08 11:55 PM

I also got the same or a similar error message: "Error: Access violation at 0x004A8930 (tried to read from 0x00000004) program terminated" with a black screen and the music playing. Also got a partially black screen with music playing and then nothing. I also have Vista. I turned off the laptop and rebooted it and then was able to open VV3.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 12:04 AM

When did it crash? During loading? Or in the game? What was the last thing you saw?

Let us know if, after the crash, it continues to work ok for you or if it crashes again.
Posted by: Dooni

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 02:45 AM

I have gotten no error messages but my fullscreen mode isnt working right. All it does is keep the island window small and put black around it. HELP... this is annoying. FYI, I am running windows Vista.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 02:50 AM

Different video adapters will handle full screen mode differently. Some adapters will stretch the game display to fully fit the screen, and others will display the game in its "native" size (800x600 pixels) with a black area surrounding the game display. The game cannot change the video adapter settings and how it handles full screen mode. It would probably be best to consult the user's manual for your computer or display adapter for assistance.
Posted by: Anki

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 06:29 AM

Off-topic post removed.
Posted by: tracy1872

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 11:19 AM

I love this game. The only problem I had was while the builders are still working on fixing the bath one villager jumped off the rock into it and it said "enjoying the bath" not really a huge problem, I found it funny. Can't wait till that bath is done!!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 01:44 PM

That's a small issue that will be fixed in the final release of the game. \:\)
Posted by: 501105

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 02:03 PM

I just bought the game of the site and expect it soon but it isnt the final release?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/16/08 02:05 PM

We are in a soft launch period, which means that we can still fix issues that are found in the game before it goes to all of the game portals. The game is finished and fully playable, and any updates that we release during or after the soft launch period will be free to anyone who buys the game during this time. \:\)
Posted by: Isis FG

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/17/08 04:46 AM

Minor gameplay issue...

When children drink the "Whoa" potion, they end up in places they shouldn't and get stuck...I've just been testing it out and I've got one stuck in the bath, and 2 in the ocean. Once they end up there, they just don't move, you have to go pick them up and put them back on land.
Posted by: arnie

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/17/08 08:29 AM

There are lots of things children shouldn't drink. ;\)
Posted by: ciginia1972

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/17/08 07:11 PM

one lady with child has been with child for hours and hours
and the kids seem not to grow in age anymore

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/17/08 07:47 PM

There is a good explanation for what causes that in this answer in our Support FAQ.
Posted by: Eileen

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 01:29 AM

While building the first hut the progress was only 75% yet a note came up saying the hut had been built and all the villagers celebrated (they eventually completed the hut).

Today, I was able to begin on the last hut and I've had 3/4 builders contructing it. The progress has been unchanged at 1% - just checked and a note came up saying the hut was completed (villagers celebrating again) yet the progress is still at 1%

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 01:30 AM

Thanks. We'll need to check that out.
Posted by: Eileen

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 01:37 AM

Thanks so much,

Wanted to add that the version is 1.00.02

After posting I started the game back up and the same note popped up with the same results.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 01:50 AM

It crashed 2x during loading. The game also sometimes crashes for me upon exiting right when I click the "Quit" button. The screen freezes and my Program Manager tells me VV3 is not responding. I have Vista.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 01:59 AM

That's something that we're looking at.
Posted by: lloydbug

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 02:08 AM

My chief will not direct repair of the huts once all of the puzzles have been completed. I don't know if it's intentional, but it prevents the chief from becoming a jack of all trades once the puzzles have been completed.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 02:29 AM

It's not intended for the chief to become the JoaT. The chief has other functions in the game, and fixing huts is an individual activity for the builders.
Posted by: Jami

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:45 AM

Okay, for the first time ever I'm trying to run two tribes at once. So I can have a nature one and a magic one. I waited until nature was established enough that they have lots of food so I can safely "ignore" them. Whenever I switch back to check on them, it says a new hut has been finished, but it really hasn't. It's still only at 41% - and when I switch back to the new tribe it seems they haven't made any progress at anything.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:50 AM

We're looking into that issue.
Posted by: kkbodine

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 04:35 AM

I bought level 2 chose nature and my majic plant didn't appear. Since I don't have the option to choose majic now am I without my majic plant the whole game? Is there a patch for this somewhere and has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your help in advance \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 04:54 AM

You are probably just missing where the plant is. The plants are not magic, they are just special herbs that appear with level 2 of your chosen faction. You can look in the VV3 Guides for a map that shows the herb locations.
Posted by: lloydbug

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 05:10 AM

I understand that it's not the chief's function to build huts, but if I drag him to an unfinished hut, he directs work. I feel that this keeps the villagers more on task than if he weren't there helping them. However, once the huts are complete he no longer directs work on construction. I have to drag my villagers to fix the hut over and over and over again before they it sticks. Maybe the directing work is a perceived advantage on my part but I could swear that they work more efficiently when he helps them.
Posted by: mmaxe01

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 05:23 AM

I don't think time is passing correctly on my game - and I absolutely, positively have not in any way 'altered' time on my computer. I leave them on 'fast' mode (plenty of food now) and they are working at the 2nd hut. ALL of them - yet when I come back, they're still at the same percentage completion I left them at. They don't seem to DO anything when the game is 'closed' - as soon as I open the game again, they all start 'building a hut'.

I thought there was a problem also when I was working them at the research table - they didn't make a lot of progress, it seemed. But I kept the game open all morning and they finally got enough tech points to move up on the nature tract.

Please advise. I read the 'faq' sections about potential issues and it seems to imply that it's typically related to altering the clock on your computer - but I haven't, honest.

Thanks.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 06:56 AM

Update: If I keep the game open and keep the chief 'directing' their work, they make progress. But I just closed the game for about 30 minutes - reopened it and they were not working, no progress made and yet immediately all headed up towards the hut with the 'building a hut' description. WHY will they not work on that hut without the game being open? Do they finish projects in the order they were started? (because I started them clearing rubble first - and that's where they all were, though they're not making any progress on that either, in terms of percentage completed). Any advice/info will be appreciated. On the one hand, the game will 'last' forever if I have to finish all the projects with the game actually open - but it's nice to be able to get them started and let them work like in the previous games.
Posted by: BobbyKat

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 09:09 AM

I tried the demo, but VV3 doesn't run as smooth as the previous versions. Maneuvering from one place to another is quite difficult, it's as if you were driving a car and applying the brakes every two feet. It's quite annoying as I can't get much accomplished because of this.

I'm using Windows XP Pro and have plenty of ram, so I'm not sure what the problem is as the VV1 and VV2 always worked fine for me.

Also, it rains a little too excessively as well, but I have the problem no matter what, so I doubt thats the problem...

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:05 PM

VV3 should be no more demanding of system resources than VV1 or VV2 (except for the Flash movie in the intro). Perhaps this answer in our Support FAQ will help you determine what might be causing the problem.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:14 PM

mmaxe01, when you say that time isn't passing properly, are you referring to the game's timers or villager productivity? There's a big difference, and the underlying issues are not always the same. If it's a system clock issue, villagers may not age, nursing moms' timers don't change, fruit trees will have problems, etc.

If it's a productivity issue (and that's what this is looking like), it could be a _bug_ related to the game's real-time engine, as long as the things I mentioned before are working properly. However, we would need more information in order to determine if that's the case.

Are you only having problems with building projects and research? Although it's unlikely that this would apply to all of your builders and scientists, I need to ask if your builders and scientists have farming skill, as well. If so, and your food supply isn't at least 400 or so, they will leave their assigned tasks to harvest any available food (to help ensure the tribe's survival).

If that's not the case, then we need to have a look at the RTE in the game to make sure that it's doing what it's supposed to do.
Posted by: boostone

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:28 PM

One question I had was about making of babies. I get the babay before they even get into the hut-When I look at the population it goes up - then if I look at the mom I see that she is nursing...its a bit weird....is it a glitch?

Hope you can answer & I am running vers .03

Barb
Posted by: cbpeanut49

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:29 PM

I've just completed puzzle 16 but when I check the puzzles it doesn't show that it has been completed. I followed the puzzle tips and (spoiler text hidden by LadyCFII): saw the ghosts, etc. This isn't a big deal for me, but I thought you'd want to know. I even closed the game and did the puzzle again.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:41 PM

Barb, that's normal behavior for all of the VV games. It's the "kiss" that makes the baby, not the trip indoors. People take advantage of that feature to do what's come to be known as "speed kissing" in order to make babies faster. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:43 PM

Getting the puzzle completion is a little more involved than just activating the [spoiler] images. We are reviewing this though, because it is confusing to people.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:48 PM

You are right - it's better described as a productivity issue. I turned on the game this morning and the 2nd hut was right where I left it - 60% completed. There was plenty of food in the bin. As soon as the game was 'on', all the villagers starting moving towards the hut, with the description 'building hut'. But they were 'assigned' there last night and were building away (under the direction of the chief) when I shut the game down.

I had more than 400 food when I shut down last night. They all 'appeared' to be near the 'removing rubble' area when I started this morning, yet no progress was made there, either. And very few tech points added overnight.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 03:52 PM

Thanks for the clarification; it's very helpful.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 04:01 PM

Thank you for looking into it. I did download v. 03 last night too, just to be sure I was running the most updated version.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 04:35 PM

More info, Lady CFII:

It might be a 'sequencing' issue that I created. We started on the rubble first. Then, my village population topped out so we had to start working on the 2nd hut.

Now that the 2nd hut is completed (which took the game being on all the time and the chief directing them), they are back to working on the rubble pile. Some are also fishing and a few are researching. Most are working on rubble. The chief is no longer directing 'cuz she had a baby (had to - she was one of my few child bearing women left and my tribe was dying off).

So maybe it was because they were 'assigned' to rubble first and then I switched them to the hut - and they kept going back to the rubble (though as I mentioned, they didn't make much progress on that either - it's still slow progress but at least when I start the game again, they are already AT the rubble pile (vs. walking towards what they had been assigned as they were with the hut).

Thanks.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 05:01 PM

Arthur is looking at this entire issue right now. I'll add your comments to our _bug_ database, to be complete. \:\)
Posted by: flowers369

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 05:24 PM

I have an alchemy prob. I am running XP and have not had any of the probs listed above. This is no longer an issue for me as I have mapped out all the recipes, but just so you know:

When I alt-tab to view my recipe list in notepad, I come back to children who stand there lost and confused and no longer have the herbs in their hands. The herbs on the table sometimes, but not always I think, disappear as well. Also, I have occasionally made a potion and nothing happens. The pot just sits there empty, no explosion, no potion ready, nothing. I have to collect 3 more herbs and try again. When this happens, I have collected 3 more herbs, the villager uses 2, leaves the third on the table, and the potion is made or explodes. Funny though, it makes the same potion as it would if it had not had a booboo.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 05:26 PM

That's not really a VV3 problem as much as it is an effect of how Windows handles applications that have been minimized (which Alt-tab will do after a short time). It's best not to alt-tab out of VV3 while important tasks are taking place. You might want to print your list if you're running VV3 in full screen mode.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 08:54 PM

Another question -

My villagers are now working on the bath. Also working on the rubble. The bath still says 'the bath is in need of repairs'. They've been repairing it for some time - is it normal that it doesn't show a 'percent complete' like other construction projects show? Thanks.
Posted by: mickella

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 09:37 PM

My computer freezes whenever I go to the puzzle screen. I can see the screen, but there is no "done" button, and no way out. I have tried clicking escape, and typing "M", hoping that it would go to the map, but no such luck. I can see an awards button, but I cannot click on it, the curser is gone. I have no idea what the awards are. I am sure that it is possible that it is my computer since it is very old, but I have played Virtual Villages 2: Lost Children, and did not have this problem. Is it my computer, or something that I am doing wrong? If it is a glitch, and there is some way that I can fix it, I would really love to be able to view my puzzles along with my awards.

I read that someone finds things the same as they left them when the shut off the computer. I have that same problem. I can be away from the game for 8 hours, and still find that progress is close to the same as when I left. Honestly, minor, compared to not being able to view my puzzles.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 09:46 PM

The bath requires a lot of builders, so it takes longer to reach the point at which the scaffolding appears.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/18/08 09:48 PM

mickella, we have not seen a problem like you're describing. Does the game operate normally on every other screen?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 12:01 AM

Thanks! Maybe in the meantime I'll figure it out.
Posted by: mickella

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 12:16 AM

Yes, I have not had any other problems until now. My first villager just died. I was able to view their name on the Roster, however as soon as I tried to run my curser over the grave stone, I received this error:
Error: Access violation at 0x0040CFC2 (tried to read from 0x8E645EA3), program terminated.
I put the game back on, and it was fine until I went to put my curser over the gravestone again. I received the same error except the 2nd time the number that it was trying to read from was 0x517998EB.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 01:29 AM

Arthur is working on this. \:\)
Posted by: sheeki

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 02:00 AM

POSSIBLE SPOILER ..............................

This really isn't a problem, it's rather ironic after the problem I had with 16. In my second tribe I just finished puzzle 11, it shows in the puzzle screen as complete and my villager CAN do what they are supposed to do, BUT I still see the sharks swimming around happy as can be with the villager,
Posted by: kat7082

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 02:03 AM

I have 2 games going 1 in nature and 1 in magic , in the nature the sharks went away and never came back , in the magic the sharks never went away and are still there but fishing is working , is this a _bug_ or the way the game was made? thanks
Posted by: squawky

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 02:55 AM

I think that's the way the game was made -- the guide says that the "nature" potion acts like a shark repellant (sharks go away) and the "magic" potion works like a charm (sharks stay but won't attack villagers).

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 02:56 AM

That's exactly how it works! \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 02:56 AM

Update: I have 10 villagers working full time on the bath. It's been at 33% completion for THREE HOURS. They work and work and WORK but the progress is so incredibly slow. I hope it is a _bug_. It's very frustrating. I am low on tech points because I can't spare builders to do research. I'm low on kids 'cuz I can't spare women to have them. It's so different from VV1 and VV2.
Posted by: Miss Suus

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 07:10 AM

I also found maybe a 'glitch' in time....when I set , in my first two tribes, the games speed at fast, there was no problem. Only after that I went to walk my dogs and set the speed to slow. When I turned it on again and changed the speed back to fast, my fire stil said it had +26 hours (!) to go...it's now at 20 hours (paused the game inbetween) and because I'm so far in the game at that tribe (my 1st magic one) I didn't start tat over but with my 1st nature tribe I wasn't that far along and when it happend there I did start over.

Changing the gamespeed back to slow only made the hours go up.
I did not mess with my pc time.
Maybe I did something wrong?
Posted by: jonnyf

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 10:41 AM

i am running vv3 on xp and I just bought the second level of nature and i lost the alchemy lab (was in ruins again) and I accidently moved one of the villagers carrying a pot and they dropped it and it disappeared so i cant build the alchemy lab

Does this happen when second level of nature is bought (orchard disappear and the alchemy lab has to be rebuilt) and is there any way I can get the pot back or do i have to restart the game.

I have checked the map and the special herb isnt there either, Need help and wanted to report this just in case.

Edit: I have also lost all my puzzle progress it all went back to nothing, no bee hive complete or orchard, handy if you have no food hehe but not good losing all that progress.
Posted by: XayAdministrator

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 12:27 PM

Did you change the time on your computer, Jonny?
Posted by: Seahorse

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 01:47 PM

Found a way around the error. thanks.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 02:37 PM

Jonny, as Xay asked, have you changed your computer's system clock to play the game faster? Also, have you used any kind of "trainer" or game cheat to help you get tech points or food more quickly?

If you make a villager drop one of the alchemy items, it will seem to disappear, but it goes back to its original location. You should try looking there. If you've used a cheat utility, however, your game might be damaged. We've already seen one case of that with another player.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 04:12 PM

I havent used any cheats or trainers and havent changed my computer time. I also have checked in the original position for the object. I just bought second level nature and everything went weird with the puzzles and alchemy lab. please help

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 04:17 PM

Did your game crash around the time this happened? Did the problems start precisely when you bought the Nature tech, and everything was fine before that?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 05:20 PM

no the game didnt crash and yes i bought the nature tech and when i returned to the game screen i noticed the differences.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 05:26 PM

Thanks. We may need more information from you. In the meantime, would it be possible for you to preserve your savegame files for us? If you're running the Windows version, go to My Documents\LDW and right click on the folder Virtual Villagers - The Secret City. Then select Send to=>compressed (zipped) folder. Save that zip file in case we need it.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 05:31 PM

ok no problem i will do and i'll just start another game in another slot, thanks for the help so far, hope you find a solution.
Posted by: laurence

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kat7082
I have 2 games going 1 in nature and 1 in magic , in the nature the sharks went away and never came back , in the magic the sharks never went away and are still there but fishing is working , is this a _bug_ or the way the game was made? thanks

Originally Posted By: squawky
I think that's the way the game was made -- the guide says that the "nature" potion acts like a shark repellant (sharks go away) and the "magic" potion works like a charm (sharks stay but won't attack villagers).

Originally Posted By: LadyCFII
That's exactly how it works! \:\)

But I play in Nature Faction (level 2) and my villagers fish among the sharks! They are not away!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 06:49 PM

I've seen that as well, Laurence, in one game. Do you remember, did rainbows or green clouds appear when your villager 'got rid' of the sharks?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 06:54 PM

\:o I don't remember!
It seems to me there was the world "repellant" because I didn't know what it means \:\/

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 07:08 PM

There is a _bug_ there, laurence. If you had taken a second villager to the potion to take it to the ocean, there's a good chance that it would have worked correctly. If you like, you could make that potion again and see if it works correctly the second time now. \:D

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 07:38 PM

I don't know, I like them now!! ;\) \:D
Ok I'll try it!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 07:48 PM

HOP!! It worked!! laugh laugh Now I miss Them laugh

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 08:18 PM

Sorry, Laurence. But you did help me with that _bug_! \:D
Posted by: NG2108

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/19/08 08:54 PM

I also have this problem has it been resolved yet?
Posted by: kittyhawk

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 01:47 AM

This is not a glitch, just an observation and request:

On easy level you start with 0 food.

It takes a little time for first time players to get used to the mechanics and concepts of the game. If you don't happen to get enough mushrooms early on, or don't realize that the Chief can produce food (or how to accomplish it), then you feel the stress of having a short food supply.

Suggestion: Start the easy level with a small food reserve.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 02:16 AM

I figured it out yesterday. I just think the guide should be more specific about how to do it. I don't think it's worth changing the puzzle, that must be a lot of work for you! People tend to think that the guide should tell them exactly how to solve a puzzle.

Thank you to you and everyone at LDW for giving us another great game!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 03:47 AM

The guide was revised yesterday, and it will be revised again soon. The guides are written by people who played the game, and reflect their experiences with it, rather than a knowledge of how the game was programmed. \:\)
Posted by: keri

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 04:45 AM

I had the same thing going on as mmaxe01. I had my builders on bath but when I realized I needed to do the hut to grow my village I put 5-6 master builders and 2 or 3 adept builders on the hut with my Chief leading them. As long as I was watching they built. If I minimized the game and then brought it back up, everyone was walking back to the hut from the bath like they knew they were being naughty little villagers and should be working the hut. Thought it was cute at first but as time passed and my hut didn't progress, not so much.

I had it on fast and it took a few hours to get it to about 60% complete. Threw some logs on the fire, moved it to slow, checked the time on the fire (25 hours or something) and turned it off. When I turned it back on tonight the fire had about 10 hours left on slow clock and my building was on about 75% (15 more than when I closed it) My bath had increased by about 15 too so they were working. Once I changed it back to fast and started watching, I got last 25% of the hut in about an hour. (during the time I was away there was an event that paused the play and I can't find the event log so I only have a rough time based on the fire how much work time they actually had)

Age wise, I had a mother carry the child for 123 min, let it loose and she was 7 before the hut was complete.

I don't think this is so much a _bug_, more like something that after you get the major problems fixed, it could be looked at to at least speed up the build time and maybe tweek their concentration span! 9 years is kinda a long time to wait to have kids when your ready to expand!

LOL, it kinda reminded my of the little buggers in the early days of VV2; starving to death over coconuts instead of farming! Only this time, they can't have babies because they are desperate to take a bath!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 12:27 PM

anything yet sorry i am just wanting to play the game as i love all of them and have finished one and two many times
Posted by: swedane

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 12:31 PM

RE: The Bath
Rather than bathing in the bath, some villagers end up sitting/laying on the ground beside the bath. It doesn't seam to be about the number of villagers in the bath, it occurs when not a soul is in it.

Here are two screen-shots:
Bath One
Bath Two

It's not a HUGE problem, it's an irritating one.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 02:08 PM

The villagers can enjoy the surroundings of the bath area, as well as bathing in the bath. The description of the action is the same in each case, but that is how Arthur has designed it.
Posted by: MattyM

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Eileen
While building the first hut the progress was only 75% yet a note came up saying the hut had been built and all the villagers celebrated (they eventually completed the hut).

Today, I was able to begin on the last hut and I've had 3/4 builders contructing it. The progress has been unchanged at 1% - just checked and a note came up saying the hut was completed (villagers celebrating again) yet the progress is still at 1%

Same here ..says its at 4%, but I got the message saying it was complete. Villagers are still working away on it, but wont move from 4%

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 04:34 PM

We are working on this issue.
Posted by: kimberkost

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 06:11 PM

I had a similar problem. When I turned the game on, I had a message stating that my hut was complete and that my village could support a larger population. (When I turned the game on, I did not have the screen on full size), when I switched to full size, the hut was no longer complete, only 7%. Other than that, I'm lovin the game!!!
Posted by: Snoopyo

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 06:17 PM

In addition to the incorrect % completion issue, I had ran into a couple of other bugs:

1. On a 2nd or 3rd tribe, the food started with 0 rather than the normal 60-70.

2. On a 2nd or 3rd tribe, I found that some trips with honey yielded 0 additional food.

Both were on a Window 2000 T40 laptop. I did not have the issue when I had a single tribe on a T60 laptop.

Those were the trial version since I am waiting for Big Fish to get it since I was busy recently and have now accumulated about 6 credits and need to burn some of them.
Posted by: scallerbar

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 06:28 PM

I read the spoiler for the statue as I was stumped
Drag an adult villager (not a nursing mom) up the path
to the door until he/she "Sees a good place to anchor the statue"
I have the bath, the plan,Level 3 Restoration, Level 3 Leadership, a tribal chief, a Master Builder.
But no matter who I drop at the top door [which has 2 of the 3 gems] nobody "Sees a good place to anchor the statue"
Am I doing something wrong or have I found a _bug_?

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 06:52 PM

The wording is a bit ambiguous. It's the path, not the door, that you should be concentrating on.
Posted by: Junebug

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 07:45 PM

This may or may not be a _bug_, but thought I'd mention it anyway. Actually, two...

First (and this just may be bad luck) - I noticed in this game and in VV2, if I am down to 0 food, I rarely ever am able to find mushrooms. I scour the screen for hours - I get tons of collectibles, but almost zero mushrooms. Then as soon as the trees grow fruit and I get a little food reserve, mushrooms start popping up all over the place. Perhaps that's intended, to tell me "silly...you should get more food before making babies!"

Second - (possibly a spoiler) while my food bin has a good reserve in it, and it starts to rain, if I use the lift and get a seed to put in the food bin, my food amount doesn't change. It does, though, if there's zero food in there.

Thanks!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 07:52 PM

The first one is probably circumstantial. Mushrooms are generated randomly at all times (in fact, that's frequently how I keep my tribe from starving when I'm testing population limits). You should look for mushrooms in VV3 during and right after rain. That's a period of time when there are ONLY mushrooms. \:\)

The second is a frequent misunderstanding about how fruit works in VV3. The amount of fruit is added the second the fruit is picked up (or picked from the tree), not when it is added to the food bin. That's different from all other forms of harvesting.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 09:01 PM

Aha!

Thanks for the pointer and clarification. \:\)
Posted by: swedane

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/20/08 10:57 PM

Thanks, ..at least it isn't a _bug_!

Sorry for posting it twice, I tend to get lost in this forum.
Posted by: DarkJMKnight

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 03:08 AM

I have found a reliable and replicable way to exponentially increase or decrease the fire burn time which I can only assume is a _bug_. (Why does this insist on putting _s around the word _bug_?)

Here are the steps:

---Initial setup
Set Game to 'slow' mode
Gather Firewood to max fire
Time remaining for fire: 33h 19m

---Start Repeat to increase fire time---
Spacebar pause
---Menu switch to fast thusly:
Menu button, Options button, Fast option, Done button, Play button
Time remaining for fire: 33h 19m (STILL!)
---Menu switch to slow thusly:
Menu button, Options button, Slow option, Done button, Play button
Time remaining for fire: 111hr 01m (!!!)
---Repeat to increase fire ridiculously---

---Setup to 'undo' the stolen burn time
---Menu switch back to fast thusly:
Time remaining for fire: 33h 19m (Back to it)

---Start Repeat to decrease fire time---
Spacebar pause
---Menu switch to slow thusly:
Menu button, Options button, Slow option, Done button, Play button
Time remaining for fire: 33hr 18min (Still.)
---Menu switch to fast thusly:
Time remaining for fire: 9h 58m
---Repeat to decrease fire---

Note: This doesn't seem to affect potion evaporation time (unfortunately) or (thankfully) nursing time.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 03:17 AM

Thanks very much for taking the time to reproduce this so carefully. I've added your comments to our defect tracking system. \:\)

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 03:53 AM

I think "enjoying the bath" is an experience rather than an activity, like at a pool or hot tub, not everyone has to be actually "in" to enjoy the experience of being there. Just a thought \:\)
Posted by: DarkJMKnight

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:14 AM

No problem, I love debugging/troubleshooting.

I actually just used this method to my advantage to burn down my fire faster. \:\) (based on the fire sparkling, and when I sent someone to drink they tried to dowse the fire... hmmm...)

So I sped up the fire 3 times and it went from almost 10h to just 30m. I let it burn down to 0m, then slowed it back down 3 times. (Just in case something else is affected.) That resulted in another 30m wait... but still better than 10h!
Posted by: Just Mom

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:23 AM

Just curious... I have been building my 2nd hut for 2 days now, I got a popup stating it was complete yet it's still showing 78% but it will not allow them to continue to build on it. It will not allow me to add anymore villagers either keeps telling me I don't have the housing to support it. Is there anything I can do to fix this or i'll never finish the game at this rate.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:40 AM

your in the same boat as a few of us Just Mom, they are aware of the problem and will hopefully have a fix soon. I got stuck at 4% ..and like you canno't add any more villagers \:\(
Posted by: scallerbar

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:41 AM

thankyou
Posted by: cvlowe

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:49 AM

I just started my first game, and played through the tutorial. After I made my first new baby, I checked the character screen and noticed both nursing mothers (the one I started with and the one I just made) said nursing for 228 minutes. After playing several more hours, they still both say 228 minutes. I am making progress in research and building my hut, just the nursing mothers are not progressing. I have not touched my computer time or used any "cheat" programs. I play about an hour a day and pause then close the program for the night. Please help!!

Oh, version .03

And the timers on my fire and the tree growing are both counting down.
Posted by: Rockmower

I have a villager "stuck" off screen - 05/21/08 05:28 AM

Ok, I took time to read the whole thread and didn't find this one in there.

I just finished the statue, and was looking for a master builder to shape the blue pearl. The first one I located (using the detail screen) is "stuck" in the ocean at the top of the screen. All I can see are his feet and about 1/2 the white circle showing his location. I can't move him, or select him except through the detail screen. He's been there for over an hour. When I have him selected, his activity bar shows him doing different things, like washing face etc, but these things just "flicker" in the bar very rapidly, and rotate randomly. I have now finished the rest of the puzzles, but he is still stuck up there. I just tried closing the game and reopening it, but he's still where he was.
This isn't a huge deal, and isn't affecting my game play, but thought you might want to be aware of it.

Re: I have a villager "stuck" off screen - 05/21/08 05:34 AM

I started a new game and played for about 30 minutes. The villiager who starts with the baby says nursing for 246 minutes, and that hasn'e come down at all since the start.
Posted by: Seahorse

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 05:42 AM

The second is a frequent misunderstanding about how fruit works in VV3. The amount of fruit is added the second the fruit is picked up (or picked from the tree), not when it is added to the food bin. That's different from all other forms of harvesting.

Just a thought, but I don't think it's a misunderstanding. Several times I put someone on the lift, two different games/factions going. Both times when they picked up a fruit after the third tree was planted and put it into the food storage bin, the food did not increase, I was watching closely the first time especially. I think she is right when she said her food did not increase from the fruit picked up from the lift thing and put into the bin.

Just my own observations match the other poster's observation on that. No biggie.
Posted by: Dragoness

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 08:40 AM

Not sure if its been listed. But about 3/4 of the time when i click on a food source it will not give me any information, won't tell me how long till a tree is mature, how much fruit there is, or if any honey remains.

Also, when using the lift to get fruit after all 3 trees are planted, my farmer will retieve the food but the food doesn't add to the food bin.

I wanted to add that I just read the last post and I too have watched and no food is added to the total food T ALL, not when the food is dropped to the ground, not when picked up, and not when placed in the food area.

I am on the .03 version as well

oh and also to add, on the rare occasion when the food source (tree) will give me information, its ONLY if I click one little spot on the bottom left of the trunk

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 01:00 PM

We will have a look at all of these latest reports.
Posted by: spyrogirlkim

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 01:21 PM

I had a guy vanish,he isn/'t in the detail list anymore,he isn't listed as dead nowhere to be found at all.Way I relized he was gone is I had 2 men and like 7 females.One guy was chief and the other I used to reproduce.I went to find him for another baby and he was gone.Its been several days and he is still gone.I dont knoe if it was a event I missed or what happened to hinm

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 01:41 PM

Is something like this possible? You had said earlier in the shout box that he was in the details screen. Did you leave him selected and actually look where the screen scrolled to? It may not be possible to know what happened this long after the problem occurred.
Posted by: ajuma

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 02:15 PM

Flowers369 wrote:
The herbs on the table sometimes, but not always I think, disappear as well. Also, I have occasionally made a potion and nothing happens. The pot just sits there empty, no explosion, no potion ready, nothing. I have to collect 3 more herbs and try again. When this happens, I have collected 3 more herbs, the villager uses 2, leaves the third on the table, and the potion is made or explodes.

I've had the same problem. It seems to happen when there is still some potion in the pot and it has to be emptied.

A way around this glitch is to use one person to empty the pot and another to make the new potion.
Posted by: Nena

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:40 PM

Hi, i'm new to this forum, and i already have a problem with VV3, IT'S ABOUT THE STATUE,my builders strated working on the statue and everything was fine, until the statue reached(by "pusuhing the statue") the tiger lilly, suddenly everybody stoped working and my tribal chief stoped "directing work". I tried to put them back and all i get is from the builders("sees the fallen statue") and the tribal cheif(is either "proud of the tribe or inspecting the food") but never starts to direct the work.This is a _bug_, i'm sure, so please if anyone can help me with this? and is there someone else with same or similar problem?
Thanks (sorry about the bad english)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 04:44 PM

Nena,

See this post about problems with the statue.
Posted by: queengamer78

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 05:34 PM

I've noticed that while villagers are on statue sometimes it says for example 18hrs then once u click again it says 17hrs...is this a _bug_?

**Just saw post above mine will read up on this thanks**

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 05:40 PM

The statue timer is designed to tell you how long it will take with the number of builders currently pushing. It will change every time the number of builders pushing changes.
Posted by: Zylador

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 05:57 PM

An amusing _bug_ (I prefer "design feature"): A child who likes jumping will be gravitationally drawn to the amphitheater to dance. Unless he hits an obstacle on the way, he'll not move for the entire trip to the amphitheater, though upon arrival he'll start jumping up and down like he should.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 05:59 PM

Yes, that's kind of funny. It's only the "jumpers" that do it. We haven't decided if it's a _bug_ or feature yet! \:D
Posted by: MayC

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 07:46 PM

The last puzzle does not work. I solved it and it is still saying unsolved. I tried to keep messing with it and follow some advice from others and it still doesn't work. Very frustrating to buy a game and get all the way to the end and it doesn't work.
Posted by: Dragoness

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 08:39 PM

I noticed something else, not really bothersome but kinda funny. When working on the second hut my villagers fix the air about a cm (probably 3 feet or so to them) next to the hut rather than the hut itself. The scaffolding is out on the beach too, maybe I should get a screen shot.

here is a link to the screenshot because i was not sure if i could just post the shot here

Working On Air

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 09:05 PM

MayC, if you move the sun disk while there's a bright sunbeam in the room, you can solve the puzzle. This will be fixed when the game update is released.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 09:20 PM

Possible _bug_: I mated two blonde villagers and their baby had black hair. Is this a _bug_?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 09:23 PM

That's a normal occurrence for Virtual Villagers, ever since inherited appearance was introduced in VV2. Occasionally you will get an "unexpected" result. That is welcomed by people who don't want to see certain traits vanish from the tribe, and is disliked by people who are trying, for example, to achieve an all-blonde tribe.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 09:40 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Posted by: HarryFan17

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 10:32 PM

I don't know if this has been said already...

I have the full version and when I started the population Number says 8. When i lined up all my villagers I only counted 7. I looked on the detail screen, I counted 7 again. Is this a glitch?
Posted by: Christel

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 10:46 PM

I too am having the 2nd hut issue. I was working on the 2nd hut, have about 5 people on it, and it said 4% done with only 2 on it, and after 5 hours with 5 people on it, now it says 3% done. Please let me know when I can get a fix for this one, using windows xp and the version .003 that I just downloaded yesterday.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 10:50 PM

HarryFan, are you forgetting to count the baby?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 11:41 PM

Cristel, keep working on that hut and tell us what it does...does it eventually proceed with progress?

We are watching these issues still to determine a pattern.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/21/08 11:45 PM

I have had an interesting thing happen. I left the game running, went and got dinner for my kids, 20 minutes tops, and now my chief is gone, not listed in my detail screen or on the dead list, and my population count went down by 1, so I know he died, but "where" is he?? I have version .003 and using windows xp.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 01:26 AM

Is the robe hanging in the amphitheater now?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 01:37 AM

Okay. Here is a _bug_: I put villagers in the clothing hut and they came out wearing different clothing than the ones I selected for them. When I put them back in the hut, the choice chosen was the one I selected so I chose a different outfit and again the same thing happened. I've purchased new clothing successfully a few times before this.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 01:38 AM

Were they children? If so, that's a _bug_ that will be fixed in the game update.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 01:41 AM

AH! Yes, they were children. I will try them later on when they are adults. THANKS!
Posted by: keri

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 02:13 AM

Question about fixes, corrections etc. Will there be a post when the "final" version is released so if we are running an earlier version we can download the final?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 02:19 AM

We will keep everyone updated about how to get the latest version. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 02:36 AM

I played again, and the baby timers are still not counting down. I also don't think my villagers are aging either. Time ios passing, though the tree and fire are counting down in both games.
Posted by: MySwtSins

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 04:32 AM

Hi everyone. I believe this is where I should post this. My banana disappeared when I placed a villager on it to plant it. =) I placed them, the banana disappeared and it said they were doing nothing. I will probably just start a new game since I just started but thought I should share my experience.
Posted by: tameno8

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 04:41 AM

not sure this is a _bug_ or what? i read about a a person who had fog but no event. this is a pic i just took and there was no event to it. this happens a lot in my game version .03

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 04:54 AM

That's just part of the weather. It's not an event unless it specifically says so.
Posted by: Korin

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 05:08 AM

I have a couple of bugs to. First, I bought the game a couple of days ago and love it. Hope to see more in the future.

Anyway, I get all my villagers started on projects and then I minimize the game to do some work. When I come back everything is almost as I have left it, but I have a lot loss food. This doesn't happen if I stay in the game though.

Also, everytime I quit the game the screen freezes and I have to manually close the game with the task manager.

These may only be in my game, but I would love to fix the problem.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 06:08 AM

Quick update to my hut problem. With a max population of 17 villagers, it got stuck at 4% and for 2 days no matter what they did it wouldnt move. 4 of my Villagers died, including the Chief (RIP dear Ranui!) and POOF the percentage started climbing again and we got to 11% So, with my population at 13 ..they can build it, now Im up to 17 again, (thanks to a barrel that washed ashore) and POOF we are stuck at 11%. It seems that if you max out your population at 17 ( I thought the first max was 15, and no, Ive had no twins) they are unable to complete it.

I will update if my % changes when another of my elders passes on!
Posted by: lynn123

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 06:51 AM

I recently downloaded version 1.00.03 from the LDW website (full version for purchase), and have Windows XP. After installing the game, I set up a tribe and got them to 400 food, population of 10, purchased several different Tech things, and was dividing their tasks between researching and building and having the kids keep the food supply up by looking for mushrooms. I tend not to use the numbers to navigate the screen (I play in fullscreen mode) but instead use the hand icon. Well, when I was moving a child toward a collectible or mushroom the screen froze. I had no other systems operating, the Internet was not connected, etc. It was just this game, that was the only open program, and the screen froze and I saw the hand icon but couldn't move it. I also had an arrow, as what I would see on my desktop. But while I could move the arrow around, I couldn't click out of the game or anything. Nothing worked, not Ctr+Alt+Delete, not Esc, nothing. The game remained frozen for 5 or 6 minutes, then completely shut down. And I was back to the Windows screen where I log in to get to my desktop and personal settings. It didn't even shut me out to the desktop. This happened three times, and it did not make a difference whether I was in fullscreen mode or not, or where I moved the hand icon to or what character I was drag/dropping. Also, it wouldn't always be drag/drop either, it froze up regardless. This happened three times, and then I rebooted and ran my system in Safe Mode. Couldn't find anything wrong with the files, so I used F8 and was able to go back to the last known good settings. I did this, and ran my firewall, and didn't find any viruses or spyware--and I have the latest version plus updates, and I feel pretty confident that it's not an external _bug_. Also worth mentioning: I never got an error message. I read the previous posts and I never saw an error message--the screen simply froze and after 5 or 6 minutes I was back on the Windows log-in screen. When I restart the game after it freezing/booting me, it is back to shortly after the tutorial ends. I have about 83 food and just a couple hundred tech points, and my villagers that were not deposited on Isola as trainee builders are "Untrained," despite this not being where I previously left them. I understand that this game operates in real time, but is there a way that perhaps in future versions there could be a means of manually saving one's progress rather than relying on the save methods built in to the game?

Also, I am having the same problem with game progress. I have finally been able to play the game and start two tribes, one with nature faction and the other with magic faction, but my trees never seem to grow, percentage of builder work completed never updated, and my nursing mothers have nursed for three days. And I haven't altrered my system clock. I learned my lesson from the 1st Virtual Villagers game, when I set my clock forward and all my villagers became skeletons. So with VV2 and VV3 I haven't played around with clock settings. I also don't download cheat patches because the fun of the game (IMO) is figuring out things as you go. That's also why I don't usually come to forums, because I don't want walkthroughs and spoilers I want to figure it out on my own.

I feel very disappointed that I paid $19.95 for the "latest version" of a game that I am NOT enjoying. It is no fun at all to not see any progress other than 2% build completed over three days, without keeping my tribe on pause. I generally run my game in normal speed, but with the time glitches I changed to 2x speed (no change to any of the numbers), and then when I am away I run the game at 1/2 speed. No error message; no system clock errors (my system clock is 7:58 am German time currently and that is the accurate time for this morning. German time only because I'm at an American military APO address.)

---> I edited this message because shortly after posting it, I forgot to mention that when I finally was able to get the game going (three days ago) and not freeze out (it just started working on it's own, I did nothing different that I am aware of) I had my chief create magic food. I read that it's an ability my chief has every 24 hours...but it's been more than 24 hours and every time I drag my chief to the food hut to create more magic food it gives me a message on the bottom of the screen that the chief can only do this every 24 hours. I also have a puzzle that shows up as completed (clearing the rocks) but the builders are still working on it, and it only says 11% completed.

Thanks again.
Thank you for your help.
Posted by: tameno8

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 07:01 AM

thank you isla for answering my question.
Posted by: spyrogirlkim

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MayC
The last puzzle does not work. I solved it and it is still saying unsolved. I tried to keep messing with it and follow some advice from others and it still doesn't work. Very frustrating to buy a game and get all the way to the end and it doesn't work.

Same on mine

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 01:45 PM

Look here.
Posted by: Meems

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 03:03 PM

Hi everyone! Boyoboy are we having FUN! No huge technical glitches but I did experience the "sticky villager in the upper top screen in the ocean" like Rockmowers'. It reminded me of the few sticky spots in VVII...Anyway, I resolved this by exiting out of my current game(no pausing)and coming right back in and Voila, my villager was back... hands on hip, impatiently tapping his foot and with a "what took you so long?" look on his face! I've got Vista and version 1.00.03. P.S. This game was SO worth the wait...Thank you so very much LDW...
Posted by: HeatherW

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 07:56 PM

I too am having problems with build times and the second hut.Running version .03 for Mac.They built the bath great with pop. ranging 10-12 and it being the only thing they worked on.

They started on the rubble without direction, I just noticed scaffolding there with 1% at some point, so I let them work there. When my pop. maxed out at 17, I started all builders on the hut. When I have the game open, they make progress on the hut, only occasionally wandering to the rubble and then I drag them back.

When the game is closed they make no progress on the hut or the rubble, and when I open they are wandering in a large group back to the hut from the rubble, even though it has not progressed either.

This occurs in both my nature game.

In my magic game they are going to the bath instead of the hut, because it is not finished yet. The rubble isn't started. Again, neither progressing unless I have the game open.

The bath in my nature game was able to progress while closed, I think because they only had 1 task going. That may be the issue here.
Posted by: muzzy

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/22/08 09:06 PM

I'm not sure if this is a _bug_ but I'm running .03 on XP. I keep putting all my villagers on building the sewing hut and I close the game. I come back and most of builders are pushing the statue and the chief isn't even directing the work.
Posted by: Britney

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 01:19 PM

When I started a tribe(my only tribe)at the very beginning, my food was zero, instead of 60. Is this normal?
Posted by: alimay

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 01:57 PM

My chief died and nobody seems to be able to take her place. How do I get another one. Everybody has tried on the robe.
Posted by: GMS328

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 02:59 PM

[SPOILERS INSIDE] is this a _bug_? when I put an adult villager on the sundial it moves (even children) but if I put a nursing mom on it doesn't. Doesn't really effect the game outcome but is interesting.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 04:22 PM

I think its because nursing moms do nothing but care for the baby.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 05:36 PM

More food issues...

It seems that the villagers ALWAYS leave 6 fruit on the trees. Do the trees repopulate if there's still food on them? Also, I had 3 trees with 6 fruit each on them. Yet, when the villagers picked the fruit, my food bin increased each time by 2.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 05:47 PM

If your game was set to slow speed, each trip will produce 2 food. The amount of food harvested is adjusted for game speed. The fruit will replenish on schedule, regardless of the amount on the trees.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/23/08 05:50 PM

Thanks. \:\)
Posted by: mommyswenn

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/24/08 06:06 AM

I have an invisible triplet! They were born sometime while I wasn't playing the game, so I don't know if the mama was carrying all three babies, but when I click on details I can see all three names, but I can only find two on the screen. The third trip's name shows up at the bottom of the screen, but his action is always "doing nothing" and there isn't even the white circle on the ground where he should be.

I looked through some of the threads to see if this had been addressed already, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible so forgive me if this problem has already been addressed, and please just point me in the right direction!

I'm running v .03 on Windows XP.

ETA: Never mind! Two years have passed in the game (the trips are now 6) and I can see all three of them. I had closed the game, though, so maybe that's why I can suddenly see him?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/24/08 02:36 PM

Sometimes a villager can get stuck in a hut or behind a larger object. If you can see part of their focus ellipse after returning to the main screen from the Details screen, you can usually grab them. If not, quitting and restarting the game usually puts them in a different place.
Posted by: Trin

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/24/08 04:19 PM

I have something peculiar which I haven't seen mentioned. Early in the game I made a Jack of All Trades, and it was either the first or second award I got. After Jack died, I still had the award, however over the weekend I paused the game, as I was going away. When I turned it back on after two or three days on pause, my award was gone!

I'm running v.02, will download v.03 tonight, but I can't see that bringing back the award. Was this a _bug_ that was fixed in the hotpatch?

FYI I'm running other villages, and the Jack awards in those have remained, long after the villager who earnt them died.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/24/08 04:30 PM

That's an issue that we haven't seen before in testing. We may need to have a look at this.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/24/08 08:10 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet....

One of my kid villagers picked up a rare feather and was almost inside the research lab and stopped and I lost the collectable. I didn't touch the villager or anything like that. She just stopped and put her hands on her hips. The feather isn't listed in the collectable screen.

Sorry if this has been posted. I didn't read through all 19 pages.
Posted by: Trin

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/24/08 09:13 PM

Thanks LadyCFII. \:\)
Posted by: Jiapa

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 06:45 AM

A number of questions, some of which are, I think, bugs, and the rest of which are just oddities.

1. I have a child chief. Is this supposed to be possible?

2. My child chief will not supervise any statue work, so I haven't really gotten started on the statue yet.

3. Progress on buildings is hugely faster when the game is running, even when it's running in windowed mode and I'm doing other things, than it is when the game is off. I'm not certain, but it appears that no or almost no progress is made on building when the game is off, even though folks age and food gets eaten.

4. My chief child will not instruct the children.

5. Both my chief child and my former adult chief will, if placed in the amphitheater, lecture the entire tribe as many times as I want. This appears to educate some of the children, at the cost of pulling all the adults from their work. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, as a way to bypass the once/day limit on instructing the children by instructing everyone.

6. Once the bath is done, why do most villagers still bathe in the fountain rather than in the bath?

7. Every once in a while, a villager will bathe just outside the bath, even lying on the ground.

8. Although I understand that theoretically, tablet pieces will appear in the ruins even after they have been completely cleared, it has only happened once for me. I think that the post-clearance probability of a tablet piece appearing should be increased, so that folks can have a reasonable chance of completing the tablet.

9. I had 11 of 12 turtle shells, coral pieces and feathers fairly early in the game, and have not yet completed any of them. Is one of each rare type much rarer than the others, or is this likely coincidence?

I'm running version 1.00.03 LDW on a windows XP box, mostly running in windowed mode.
Posted by: Jiapa

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 06:57 AM

I mis-spoke in my last post. My child chief _will_ supervise statue pushing. I just hadn't found the right spot yet.
Posted by: Damballah

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 07:14 AM

This is rather odd...when I have several villagers working in the science lab, and they are sort of aligned at the table, they flash in and out, alternating each one. Not a problem, but kind of startling to see.
Posted by: Rosy_Mama

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 08:43 AM

Sorry if this has been posted before, as I have not read all the pages of bugs listed here.

Here goes, it seems that there is a 3 yr old villager stuck in one of the huts. Every time that I click on the detail button to locate that villager he will show up in one of the three huts. There is no ring seen like you normally would. It just takes me to the hut. He does try various actions like "Running Around" or "Dancing" but those actions don't stay around long and he does mostly "Nothing".

Is he a doomed villager for his natural life?

I am using the .03 version and in the windowed mode.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, since I had made this post, I had closed and reopened the game. My villager is free from his bondage and building "Sand Castles".

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: HarryFan17
I don't know if this has been posted yet....

One of my kid villagers picked up a rare feather and was almost inside the research lab and stopped and I lost the collectable. I didn't touch the villager or anything like that. She just stopped and put her hands on her hips. The feather isn't listed in the collectable screen.

Sorry if this has been posted. I didn't read through all 19 pages.
It could be because the time of its "apparition" is over! I think it last a little bit more than in VV2 (it's just a feeling) but anyway, you probably collect it late. \:\/

Originally Posted By: Jiapa
6. Once the bath is done, why do most villagers still bathe in the fountain rather than in the bath?
LOL "Sometime, villagers stubbornly do what they want." \:D Especially when they prefer showers!! ;\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 02:42 PM

Ok. Thank you laurence. I never had that happen to me before.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 02:45 PM

Rosy, sometimes villagers do get stuck in huts or other places. Even if you can't see the focus ellipse, you should still be able to grab them and free them. \:\)

Jiapa, one of the things you describe (#3) is a _bug_ that we are looking at. The others are all working as intended.
Posted by: callie

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 03:08 PM

My statue head is at the top of the ramp, but now I can't get any status on the thing and I can't get the people or the chief to do anything with it.

I'm running .03 on Windows XP

Thanks!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 04:49 PM

I dusted off and played both VV1 and VV2 and they both play normally. That seems to me like the people not aging _bug_ I'm having can't be something with my computer.Do you have any suggestions because the game is utterly unplayable at the moment.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 05:00 PM

If your system clock has *ever* been changed (either by a person or by your operating system), particularly in a backwards direction, since starting a tribe, the game may be permanently affected even though the system clock is stable now and your other VV games are working properly. There are very complex, independent timers in Virtual Villagers, and any of them can be affected by clock changes. The only thing that can possibly help is to give the tribe enough time to sort out those issues.

One thing you might try is starting another tribe in a different player slot to see if the problem exists there, too.
Posted by: Deathwing

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 05:50 PM

I have seen only one Bug. One of my children slides, he does not walk all the time. He is dancing but he is sliding so that he can dance. Anyone else have the sliding child Bug?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 06:02 PM

Yes, and I'll bet that child likes jumping. \:\)
Posted by: Deathwing

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 06:07 PM

Yep, he does. Is that normal??

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 06:08 PM

It's a _bug_, but it only affects jumpers. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 09:38 PM

My statue is still stuck. No Master builder will touch it nor will the chief "direct work." Is this supposed to happen? I have only 3 puzzles to finish and one of them is the statue. I can't finish the other 2 without finishing the statue. If there is nothing that can be done then there is no point in going on!

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 10:07 PM

Many people are successfully completing the statue puzzle with the 1.00.03 update and the workaround described in the statue puzzle thread. Have you checked this thread yet? \:\)
Posted by: cnm

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 11:43 PM

My solved puzzles aren't registering in Puzzles. I have done Aromatherapy and Rain Dancing, but they are still showing as unsolved. I have 1.00.03.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/25/08 11:55 PM

You haven't finished those puzzles. Aromatherapy has a second part, and Weather Dancing has to be done correctly in order to be solved. There's weather dancing, and then there's proper weather dancing. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 04:58 AM

You're right of course - I hadn't had the Master Doctor light the fires. \:\(

But now I have a real problem.
The statue is in place. The pearl appeared. My Master Builder reshaped it so now it is a nice round blue sphere.
But my Chief can't pick it up!
Message is, "This villager lacks the skills..."

I suppose the problem is there was too long a wait between my Master Builder finishing it and my Chief trying to pick it up? (Chief was nursing baby at the time and wouldn't do anything).

I tried putting Master Builder on the finished Pearl but same message "This villager lacks the skills..."

So what can I do now?? Is it hopeless? Is it a _bug_?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 05:14 AM

No, the message "This villager lacks the skills..." is telling you to try a villager who is a Master in a different skill.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 05:53 AM

But it's supposed to be the Chief who picks it up.
However I will try Doctor and Scientist.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 06:12 AM

Thanks, isla. That worked! \:\)
Posted by: Debala715

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 06:27 AM

Just ran into something with the Roster of the Dead. I have 7 gravestones, and when I click on the Roster of the Dead, it only displays the first two who died. Also, when I click on the gravestone of 3-7, nothing happens.

Here's whats weird, it was working fine until I closed out the program (which I left on slow). When I opened it up several hours later, that's when my villagers disappeared from the roster.

I'm running Vista and using 1.00.03 version.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 03:09 PM

We have discovered that there is a _bug_ that occurs during burials that temporarily causes problems with the roster and the gravestones. Once the burials are complete, everything should be working again, although it's possible that there will be an extra or missing villager. We are working on that.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 03:35 PM

Sorry, this didn't work. I was already running v 1.00.03. I'm losing my Master Builders because there is nothing else for them to build. The only thing left to do is start over and hope that this doesn't happen again. It's very disappointing to have to start completely over when I only have 3 puzzles left.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 03:38 PM

My chief keeps on leaving the statue puzzle if I leave the game for 10 minutes.

I have downloaded the patch

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 03:55 PM

If your system clock has *ever* been changed (either by a person or by your operating system), particularly in a backwards direction, since starting a tribe, the game may be permanently affected even though the system clock is stable now and your other VV games are working properly. There are very complex, independent timers in Virtual Villagers, and any of them can be affected by clock changes. The only thing that can possibly help is to give the tribe enough time to sort out those issues.

One thing you might try is starting another tribe in a different player slot to see if the problem exists there, too.

My computer is on a domain and synchronizes it's clock with the server at whatever MS default interval is. Like every time I turn it on. Does that mean this game is completely unplayable then?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 04:05 PM

No, it doesn't mean that. Almost everyone's computer system clock is kept synchronized to a time reference by the computer's operating system. Normally, that time adjustment is, at most, a few seconds and doesn't cause any problems. The problems are introduced when the computer's system clock is unreliable, either because people are using it as a "calendar" to check dates (that happens more frequently than you might imagine) or because of a computer problem, such as a depleted CMOS battery.
Posted by: soldiergirl

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 04:24 PM

i just finished nature puzzles and never was able to get rid of the sharks even when i redid the potion and had someone else put the potion in. i have not collected all the collectables but every 24 hours my chief will show a rare item that has been collected, will the chief ever show the ones that are needed to finish the collection. also i have had a few adults come out of the sewing hut with other clothes then the ones purchased just like the children again thanks i can't wait until #4 i am crurrently working on another tribe doing the magic method.
Posted by: Debala715

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 04:39 PM

We have discovered that there is a _bug_ that occurs during burials that temporarily causes problems with the roster and the gravestones. Once the burials are complete, everything should be working again, although it's possible that there will be an extra or missing villager. We are working on that.

When I closed out VV3, all those who died were buried hours before that. And I don't have any missing or extra villagers. Even now over a day after they died, those who died 3rd through 7th don't show up in the Roster and when you click on their gravestone, nothing, no name or info.

I don't understand what you mean by temporarily, do you mean that as temporarily until a patch is out to fix this?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 05:25 PM

By "temporarily" I mean that when we've seen that _bug_ happen, the graves return to normal after the burials have completed. Apparently, in your case, they did not. We do not presently have a fix for that _bug_.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 07:04 PM

No, it doesn't mean that. Almost everyone's computer system clock is kept synchronized to a time reference by the computer's operating system. Normally, that time adjustment is, at most, a few seconds and doesn't cause any problems. The problems are introduced when the computer's system clock is unreliable, either because people are using it as a "calendar" to check dates (that happens more frequently than you might imagine) or because of a computer problem, such as a depleted CMOS battery.

Since 1 and 2 work fine should I abandon my current 2 buggy tribes in 3 and start over?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 07:20 PM

Starting over would probably take care of the problem. There is also the option, if there are available player slots, to start one or more new tribes in empty player slots and check in on the malfunctioning tribes occasionally to see if the problem has been corrected.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 07:56 PM

I started a third tribe. Checking the time on the nursing mom frequently, it started at 246, then dropped to 240. It seemed stuck there for about 20 minutes then dropped to 234. Watching the time in the fire, it counts down every minute. Just seems something's not right.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 08:06 PM

The nursing timer does not decrease in 1-minute increments like other timers do. Depending upon the game speed setting, the fastest it will count down is every three minutes (on fast speed).

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 09:03 PM

Ok, thanks for your answer. Now all my puzzles are showing as solved except for the last one, which I presume is the sundial.

I solved it, saw the ghosts, etc. Why is it showing as "This milestone has not yet been completed?" Tried putting a villager on the ghosts again, but still "not completed".

Is this a _bug_?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 09:05 PM

You could either download the newest update (see Arthur's sticky post), just posted today, or you can see this sticky post for a way to complete the puzzle in your current version.
Posted by: denisse

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 10:11 PM

if i download the new version, will it start my village over or will i still be able to keep my village that i currently have?
Posted by: Houjun

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 10:30 PM

When I downloaded the new version (1.00.04), my village was still there and it didn't have any effect on it. But it's probably best to back up your game, just in case. You can find out how to do it here. \:\)
Posted by: denisse

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/26/08 11:27 PM

thanks, i didnt have any problems. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 02:03 AM

Thanks! 1.00.04 gave me my celebration as soon as I started the game. Now my puzzles are completely complete, Woo Hoo!
Posted by: jbart321

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 07:20 PM

Many people are successfully completing the statue puzzle with the 1.00.03 update and the workaround described in the statue puzzle thread. Have you checked this thread yet? \:\)

The link gives an access denied and I am having the same problem. Even in the new version, the chief will not direct work on the statue. How in the world could a _bug_ this big get through testing?
Posted by: kiwibeca

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 08:17 PM

The Puzzle Guide as found in this forum has a bit of a glitch relating to Puzzle 15. After a Master Builder has retrived and shaped the Pearl, a Master Scientist needs to finish it before the Tribal Chief can swap it for the key that the Giant Clam is guarding.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 08:23 PM

Most of the links in this thread refer to an earlier update, which has been retired. The current version is now 1.00.04 and can be obtained by checking Arthur's sticky post. I'm no longer going to provide links to the updates, since we don't have time to find and edit any links that were intended to help people who posted requests for help - there are just too many of them. \:\(

The link to the current version of VV3 will always be in a sticky post in this forum until the game has reached the final update.
Posted by: squawky

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: kiwibeca
The Puzzle Guide as found in this forum has a bit of a glitch relating to Puzzle 15.
The first version of the puzzle guide had the incorrect solution - there's a newer version (which was posted on May 20th) that has the solution for that puzzle corrected.
Posted by: patricia57

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 09:48 PM

i don't have time to read this whole 12 page post, so forgive me if someone has already had this.
my villager, a child, was given the wrong clothes in the clothing hut.
i ordered up camouflage but got some avocado green outfit instead \:D

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 10:23 PM

That was fixed in the current, updated version. See Arthur's sticky post with the link to download v1.00.04.
Posted by: miskinsincap

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 10:38 PM

I'm not sure when this has begun, but for the last few days, when my chief points out a rare collectible, it doesn't appear anywhere. At first I thought I missed it, but I tried several times with different tribes, and nothing shows up.

Hmm, I started with version 1.00.02, and it was fine then. I downloaded version 1.00.03, but I was so excited about solving the statue puzzle, I can't remember if it began right after it. Anyway I'm using vista, and I'll download the latest version and see what happens tomorrow.
Posted by: patricia57

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 10:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure when this has begun, but for the last few days, when my chief points out a rare collectible, it doesn't appear anywhere. At first I thought I missed it, but I tried several times with different tribes, and nothing shows up

i have had that problem several times too.
I attributed it partly to having 2 large mango trees {i since have installed that mod, making them smaller}
but what are the odds of the collectible being hidden behind the tree that many times \:\?
where else could they be hiding?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/27/08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: patricia57

i have had that problem several times too.
I attributed it partly to having 2 large mango trees {i since have installed that mod, making them smaller}
but what are the odds of the collectible being hidden behind the tree that many times \:\?
where else could they be hiding?

Actually, before, my collectibles appeared right at the direction the chief pointed, but maybe it was just a coincidence. Even if they show up behind a tree, shrooms and collectibles shine, so you can still find them; and I looked carefully in the orchad.

Hmm, in vv2 we could see the collectibles in the map after enough leveling up. Is it also possible in vv3?
Posted by: tazcat

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 01:46 AM

Has anybody had any trouble solving puzzle #12?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 03:42 AM

You just have to use the right villager and do both parts! \:D

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: miskinsincap
I'm not sure when this has begun, but for the last few days, when my chief points out a rare collectible, it doesn't appear anywhere. At first I thought I missed it, but I tried several times with different tribes, and nothing shows up.

I had to same thing happen five times. The first and last times a rare collectible did pop up but the other five times nothing showed up. I will try again tonight with the chief. *sigh*

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 07:52 PM

There are two things to bear in mind about the chief pointing out a rare collectible. First, although the TC does point in the general direction of the orchard, the collectible can be anywhere on the map. Second, the rare collectible may be one you already have, in which case you'll get 1500 tech points. If your game is well advanced you might not notice the addition of the points. It doesn't have to be a new one. I'm waiting on one rare collectible each for turtle shells, feathers and coral and I've used the Chief three times so far in the hope of finding them, but each time he's pointed out a duplicate.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Arthur
Cristel, keep working on that hut and tell us what it does...does it eventually proceed with progress?

It was so weird, there were 3 times that I closed down the game and came back to it, left it running in fast mode, and it said the hut was done but it was not. 33 percent, 54 percent and just happened again at 78 percent. They keep on working on it and it does go up, but that was really weird.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Christel

It was so weird, there were 3 times that I closed down the game and came back to it, left it running in fast mode, and it said the hut was done but it was not. 33 percent, 54 percent and just happened again at 78 percent. They keep on working on it and it does go up, but that was really weird.

Forgot, it has taken really long to get this hut up and I have a ton of people on it, seems to take twice as long as the other huts. Is this a special hut for that reason?? I have even had the chief on it, not making it go any faster.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 11:03 PM

The more broken huts take longer.
Posted by: nightengale

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 11:04 PM

I DONT KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE TO GET TO ARTHURS STICKY POST AND MY CHIEF IS STUCK HALFWAY UP THE RAMP.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 11:06 PM

The more broken huts take longer.

Seems weird, the last hut took twice as long as the 2nd hut, they looked just as broken and I had twice the people working on it. Thanks for all the info, now I have replaced the version with the newest one and I started another tribe, so we shall see.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 11:10 PM

Neghtengale, it's here. NOTE: This link may work only while v1.00.04 is the current version. If anyone clicks on it and it doesn't work, you will need to look for a post containing the current version. That's why I don't like to post links to "temporary" threads. \:o

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/28/08 11:39 PM

After installing the last version, tonight I tried to use my chief(s) to point rare collectibles, and I had no problem to find them (still maybe it was just me who didn't see them ). Also, the collectibles seem to appear more frequently now (I used to find two or three during a nursing period in fast mode, now I lost counting). Anyway, I completed my collections in one of the tribes, finished the puzzles; so I'm happy, well satisfied, and thinking of starting a new tribe . Thanks for the beautiful games you make, and the support you give while we're playing them \:\)
Posted by: Anya

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/29/08 10:28 AM

I've completed the first half of the aromatherapy puzzle but when I try to drop my Master Doctor on the fire all she does is run away.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/29/08 10:39 AM

What appears in her action line? What are her likes/dislikes? She may have a fear of fire.
Posted by: bulldoglover24

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/29/08 09:26 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I'm having an issue when I take my game off of fullscreen to do a screenshot, my pointer is off. It is way off, i have to click about two inches away from where the botton or villagers is. Anyone else have this???
Posted by: Old Player

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/29/08 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: isla
"Error: Access violation at 0x004A8930 (tried to read from 0x00000004) program terminated"

I purchased the VV3 game yesterday, and today while playing, I received this same error message. I had merely put a child on a mushroom when this occurred -- nothing unusual. The game shut down and froze my computer. I had to restart.

I would also like to bring up another issue and ask if it could be corrected with a "fix." In VV1 and 2, I always found it helpful to find a certain villager by pausing the game, going to the detail screen, then upon exiting the detail screen that certain villager would be highlighted (encircled). In Virtual Villagers 3, this will not happen in the "pause" mode, but only in the active mode.

Was this by design? Or a glitch? FYI I am using Windows XP.
Posted by: Cybele UK

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/29/08 11:26 PM

I've noticed that sometimes when I sent a villager to the clothing hut and chose a new outfit, they had something different on when they popped out of the hut. It has happened several times. I investigated a bit more. Normally, when you put the villager in there, the outfit that pops up first on the select screen is the outfit they are currently wearing. On the ones that are messed up, the outfit that first pops up in the select is NOT what they are currently wearing. This happens to both sexes and doesn't seem to have any pattern with regards to when it fails.

My version is the 1.00.03 and I have not experienced any other problems (other than those already logged like the sundial puzzle problem). My computer runs XP.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 01:38 AM

Bulldoglover, did you "resize" your window right before this happened? Our games are not designed to allow the windows to be resized, although Windows sometimes allows that to happen. The two ways to fix it are to quit the game and relaunch it, or to switch back to full-screen mode.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 01:45 AM

Old Player, was this the only error you received, or was there another error message preceding it?

VV3 is designed not to scroll the screen while the game is paused.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 01:46 AM

Cybele UK, you should download the latest version of VV3, which can be obtained by clicking on the VV3 picture at the top of the left column of the forum page.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 03:44 AM

I absent-mindedly posted possible _bug_ THERE
Maybe you would want to move it.
Chief refuses to lecture.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 04:13 AM

I replied to your post earlier today. That's a limitation of having a chief who is a child. \:\)
Posted by: Jujubee

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 05:14 AM

One of the two games I've been playing just reset all the Puzzles. I was in this game earlier tonight and it was fine. I'd finished the last puzzle late last week and have been working on finishing the collections.

I had been working with V1.00.03 and just upgraded to the newest version to see if that would fix it, but there was no change.

All my Awards are still there, my food and tech points are there, all my Tech is still registering as being purchased. But every single puzzle has to be redone.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Posted by: Old Player

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 11:22 AM

Old Player, was this the only error you received, or was there another error message preceding it?
No, this was the only error message received, thus far.

VV3 is designed not to scroll the screen while the game is paused.
Carla, perhaps I was not clear enough. I am able to scroll the screen in the pause mode, both with my mouse and the number key pad. What I was trying to convey is that in the other versions, in the pause mode, you could go to the detail screen, find a certain villager, then upon exiting the detail screen, the screen would automatically scroll to that certain villager who would be encircled. This happens in VV3 only if it is not in the pause mode. Does this make sense?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 01:26 PM

OK, let me elaborate a bit. VV3 was designed not to scroll the screen on its own when the game is paused (which is what the difference is from previous VV games). You can certainly scroll it yourself, as has always been the case. I apologize for not being more clear. We are still so busy here, that I tend to abbreviate my answers a bit too much at times.
Posted by: Funkiroller

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 05:34 PM

I have two kids stuck here.

There was a red mushroom here and I put a kid on it. The kid grabbed it, but it disappeared right out of his hands. He is trying to run off and do other things but he is STUCK. His actions change in a brief flash to something a kid would do, but flash right back to nothing. They can not move on their own. I can pick them up and move them.

I just wanted to make people aware of the "sticky spot".
Posted by: Norah

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 09:45 PM

I'm not sure if what I have found is a _bug_, but I'll try posting it here anyway (also not sure if it's been posted before, but the thread is rather long and I couldn't find a search option for the forums).

I can't seem to be able to get a chief for my village anymore. Ever since it began to grow somewhat big (like over 50 villagers) and I solved all the puzzles, and the last chief died. I've really tried every villager at least 3 times. None of the new children seem to be it either. It's running on fast most of the time, though when I sleep it's on slow. It's been at least a week without a chief now (a week for me, not them :P).

I just thought this can't be normal, seeign how easy it was to find a chief before.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 05/30/08 11:03 PM

You might find the advice in this thread helpful (especially the comment from Arthur). If that fails, please let us know.
Posted by: Jujubee

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/01/08 04:37 AM

Just to update from my post on the previous page regarding all my puzzles resetting:

Took a couple of days, but all the puzzles are now complete again. I didn't get any green text box pop ups as each was complete and no Celebrating (well, the villagers didn't but I certainly did), but the Puzzle page did change to the puzzle picture as each was done.

Some random details: Puzzle 1 was considered completed when my current Chief died and a new one was selected (I was actually concerned it wouldn't mark as done at all since I already had a Chief). Puzzle 13 didn't make me wait 60 hours after the reset, I just had to put out the fire and cool off the diamond.

Don't know if that helps figure anything out if it happens to anybody else, but that was my experience.
Posted by: marshamom

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/01/08 05:40 AM

I am on puzzle 16. found the room, the sun dial and the light comes down and the dial is at the far left, but the puzzle picture still doesn't show that the puzzle is solved. do i have to find all of the pieces of the plaque in the "collection sets" first? Thanks for any and all answers. Love the game(s).

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/01/08 01:08 PM

You can find a helpful link in this sticky post.
Posted by: sidbakay

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/01/08 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: mmaxe01
Update: If I keep the game open and keep the chief 'directing' their work, they make progress. But I just closed the game for about 30 minutes - reopened it and they were not working, no progress made and yet immediately all headed up towards the hut with the 'building a hut' description. WHY will they not work on that hut without the game being open?

I have this same problem. They will only work on the 2nd hut when I have my game open. If I close, they all go back to research or clearing the rubble. When I open back up, the rubble clearers head back to the hut.

Another "problem" I have level 3 alchemy without ever purchasing it. Not complaining just letting you know. I am on version .04.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/01/08 03:20 PM

You likely got the higher level of Alchemy Tech from an Island Event. It's usually best to have only one building project going at a time if it really matters to you which one gets worked on. The game does not operate identically when it's on and when it's off, and villagers are free to choose any available work that fits their skills.
Posted by: VirtualTime

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/02/08 03:57 AM

Erm,hey,there's another LITTLE glitch,I don't think its important,but just want to share with you guys.

We all know children can't swim,right?But once i saw a collectible,a mushroom,appear ON the SEA.It was at the far top right hand corner of the sea.I was shocked,and i tried to drag a child to it.They gave me this message:Children can't swim!

Then i tried again,dragging the same child to the mushroom.But this time i dragged her until the extreme top right of the sea.This time,she picked up the mushroom,but couldnt get it delivered to the food bin because she was stuck in there.I had to click and drag her out.

Conclusion:Is the top right hand corner of the sea a small piece of land?Or is it a glitch?Or another "sticky spot"? \:D

Attached Image:

Posted by: momniecy

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/02/08 05:10 PM

I wanted to post the bugs I seem to be having. I do have 1.00.04 version.

1) The original mother is still nursing even though it's been 5 hours of real time. My game is on fast. She still has 88 supposed minutes left of nursing. Something just doesn't seem right with that. I haven't touched my computers clock either.

2) I have had an "error:access violation at 0x00442472 (tried to read from (0x7BF3D0D8), program terminated." When this happened, I was putting a child on a mushroom. It locked up my game, and caused it to completely shut down. The shut down has happened 4 times already, although this is the first error I recorded. All for doing the same thing... child picking up something. And when I come back to my game, it has been put back to an earlier time. I lose the tech points, food and work on the things I've done. Very frustrating.

Any light on this matter would help a great deal. Thanks!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/03/08 03:36 AM

Jujubee, we're looking at the problem with the reset puzzles, but we haven't determined what is happening yet.
Posted by: ledheadmelli

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/03/08 06:15 PM

I'm using version .04. I have finished all the puzzles, got all the tech and am simply waiting to get the last few collectibles. I have had very few problems thus far - I do remember it saying my 2nd hut was finished when it wasn't even close, but I was busy with other tasks and it seemed to resolve itself in due time. I thought I had a child missing (she didn't show up for school with the chief) but I spotted her tiny brown head hiding behind a hut after locating her thru the details screen.
My chief does not seem too adept at pointing out rare collectibles, though. He has had 4 chances with only one collectible found. I fly a child around slowly for 2 minutes to no avail - nothing, not even a sparkle behind a tree or hut. Thought that was too good to be true...sigh.
My only problem (?) now appears to be a very bored tribe. As all my projects are done, everyone is on research or farming, with a few doctors strolling the island looking for the golf course. All these masters and they won't stay on task anymore! I have never seen so much laundry washing, face washing, drink getting, giant clam interest, etc! I have 4 farmers who have done nothing but fish for three (real) days - they are still adepts! I spend 90% of my time cracking the whip and dragging villagers back to their assigned posts. Even my most industrious little workers keep slipping off to float in the bath 6 or 7 times an hour! So much dancing and exercising that I suspect they've been mixing up potions while I sleep. This is way more recreation/work shirking than I've seen from the same villagers earlier in their lives.
Is this because they really are bored with nothing to do but research and fish? Is is because I now have tons of tech points and little to spend them on that my tribe thinks they can rename themselves The Indolent Rich? You'd think my scientists and builders could have managed more than a lousy clothing hut - maybe invent little golf carts to help the old folks move around easier? Build a mall?
Has anyone else noticed such a problem once all the puzzles were solved?
Posted by: Breebie

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/05/08 11:17 AM

A possible _bug_?

Hi a friend of mine gave me the full version of VV3. I had to download the .04 update and now my game is a trial version ???

Any idea?
Posted by: PawPaw

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/05/08 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: momniecy

1) The original mother is still nursing even though it's been 5 hours of real time. My game is on fast. She still has 88 supposed minutes left of nursing. Something just doesn't seem right with that. I haven't touched my computers clock either.

I also noticed this when I started my second tribe. There was a nursing mother on the raft, but she didn't release the toddler until after the first fire died! (on Fast). There seems to be a vast difference in "minutes", where only the potion pot seems to run with the system clock. Watching the nursing mom and the fire I got numbers like these:

Mom.....Fire
60.........26.....minutes
51.........14.....minutes
36.........01.....minutes

Exasperating when trying to plan, especially the village growth.
Posted by: momniecy

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/05/08 09:47 PM

Well I finally got my mom to stop nursing, after 31 hours of real time on fast! Don't know what happened, but I had 2 campfires, built the first hut, cleared the dead sign and had even 1 person (who liked running) to get 3 masters before she finally let go of that child. At any rate, I tried to breed her again thinking it was just a glitch, and it was. She is now doing what she's supposed to and has had 2 subsequent babies in 2 hours each. Wierd.

Also, I did notice something... don't know if this is just my game or not, but in the beginning with all the crashes and glitches, it seems it did it alot when I tried to pick up 2 of something. Believe me, no more for me, one is enough just so long as I don't crash or take 3 days to have a child.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/06/08 12:07 AM

I just came in and found 4 of my 6 graves "pilfered"! The headstones are still there, but they are blanks, and I cannot replace the names. The Roster shows only two of the six. I had no clue, until, out of the blue, some of my villagers picked flowers by the waterfall, and went to "Honor the Dead". I thought it odd, since I've not seen anyone do that so far in my game. They lay flowers at ALL the graves. I clicked on the first two graves, all was well, but the next 4 were empty, and the Roster had removed them. I've no idea how this happened, but it's kind of unsettling.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/06/08 03:42 AM

This gets odder yet. I returned to find one of my very elderly women had died. They buried her, and a tombstone came up, as it should. I checked the other tombstones, to see if they were still blank. The third tombstone was identified as the woman's who had just passed away. The roster says 3 people are listed. However, I now have 7 headstones, and one woman has two of them. She has the third and seventh tombstones marked as her resting place(s?). I have a feeling this is going to be very confusing for awhile.
Posted by: Occy

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/07/08 11:58 AM

My statue seems to be stuck. No one will work on it - it's at the top of the path...
Posted by: Occy

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/07/08 12:41 PM

I updated to the new version - now it says I need a leader but when I bring the chief there nothing happens...
Posted by: MariaWB

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/08/08 01:16 AM

The game does something that really bugs me.

If I set a villager to do a task that involves moving something, ie. putting more wood on the fire, a child collecting an item/mushroom or a puzzle related item like the Cliff Key and I minimize the game, the task 'disappears'. When I go back to the game, the fire hasn't had burning time added, the item is NOT shown as collected (when it is a new item), and the Cliff Key was back in the cliff.

This is quite anoying! I could off course just go and get the Cliff Key again and get someone to get more firewood again, no harm done. But the new item is lost. Is this a _bug_ other people have experienced?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/08/08 11:38 AM

That is not a _bug_ as far as I know. The same happens if you exit the game before those actions are complete. Minimizing the game for too long gives the same result as exiting.
Posted by: Weasel2811

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/08/08 11:55 AM

I have a problem that does not look like anyone else has mentioned. I have beaten the game, but have not gotten all of the collectibles. Every time I bring my Tribe Leader to point out rare collectibles, she goes through the motions, but nothing appears. I have checked everywhere, and nothing ever appears. Is this random or has someone else brought this up before?

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/08/08 01:34 PM

I think you'll find that the rare collectible does appear, but it could be anywhere on the map. You need to look all over very carefully. Some, especially the rare ones, are in addition difficult to see; the sparkles usually identify where they are.
Posted by: Lailai

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/09/08 02:05 AM

On Vista SP1, when vista pop up a message like "Windows needs your permission to continue", VV3 says "Access Volcation at 0xsomething. Program terminted". The next time I saw this error, I will post the full error message \:\(
Posted by: HappyPlayer

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Weasel2811
I have a problem that does not look like anyone else has mentioned. I have beaten the game, but have not gotten all of the collectibles. Every time I bring my Tribe Leader to point out rare collectibles, she goes through the motions, but nothing appears. I have checked everywhere, and nothing ever appears. Is this random or has someone else brought this up before?

I'm having the exact same problem. \:\(
Posted by: Isis FG

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 08:01 AM

I'm not sure if this is a _bug_ or not, but it seems rather odd...

My first village is done except for 1 award - a villager living to 90yrs old. I check in on my tribe once a day, and after the new dead villagers are buried, I check the Roster of the Dead and have noticed an odd pattern. My villagers are dying in groups at the same age.

Today I had 9 new dead villagers who all died at 79. Yesterday it was 8 at 81, the day before 12 at 77, etc etc. I have 185 dead villagers and since about #40, this has been happening. Something seems not right with that.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 01:06 PM

Happy Player, you might find this discussion helpful.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 01:13 PM

Isis, the situation you describe is typical for long-running games. Since many players start leaving the games off for longer periods, the babies tend to be born in groups, and the deaths also tend to occur in groups (all during startup processing). This information wasn't available after the cemetery filled up in previous VV games, so nobody ever noticed it.
Posted by: Sam19

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 10:10 PM

i can not seem to get the fire key. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the new version and deleted my games and tried again but still no key.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 10:17 PM

You're probably not letting the fire burn long enough. This spoiler discussion should help you.
Posted by: Sam19

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/11/08 10:22 PM

thanks i try that.
Posted by: trillian6

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 12:56 AM

I have a chief who "only does.....every 24 hours...." Fair enough, but he says this even when he has never been asked to to a thing, or when more than 24 hours have passed before I try again.

Any ideas?
Posted by: HappyPlayer

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 01:28 AM

Happy Player, you might find this discussion helpful.

Thank you LadyCFII!! That was exactly what I needed to know! \:D
Posted by: xxcutebabydollxx

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 05:38 PM

I know its been mentioned about the puzzles beings lost but are there any ways to fix this? I lost all my puzzles and my huts and stuff.... Really annoying... \:\(

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 06:07 PM

Everything we know about that bug, including any possible recovery until we can get it fixed, is discussed here.
Posted by: GreenCactus

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 06:34 PM

Ever since waking up to a beach full of skeletons on vv1 I always tend to pause the game over night. I put all my little people where I want them to be - research table, orchard ect, when I go back to the game they have all moved elsewhere despite the game being paused. Apologies if this has already been posted.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 07:32 PM

The game does not store the positions of the villagers in the savegame file. When the game is paused, the villagers will change positions when you come back to it, but everything else will be unchanged.
Posted by: GreenCactus

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/13/08 10:11 PM

Thanks LadyCFII - it doesn't spoil the game at all, just thought it worth a mention
Posted by: bodeia

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/14/08 10:31 PM

Why oh why does my nursing mothers not count time correctly. I keep my game running a watch for events as it's early on in my 4th village but for some reason it's taking longer for the mothers to release the children than expected, for example my chief is still nursing and still requires a further 108 mins before she due to let go. I mated her at 4pm UK time and it is now 10pm UK time I'm running the game in normal mode. I don't play around with my system clock as that is pointless as it would spoil the game, but it is frustrating when you are waiting on your chief to carry out certain task but is held up due to nursing for longer than expected!

Any views on why this is happening on this village as it didn't appear on any others.

Running the game on XP Pro.
Posted by: MerelyMagic

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/15/08 06:12 AM

I have run in to a few problems.

I can't get the fire key. The fire has burned long enough, however no matter how much water my villager pours on the diamond, it keeps saying it is too hot to pick up.

Rain Dance: I have the 3 adept builders and the chief dancing, it says the are doing a rain dance, but it does not complete the puzzle.

I am playing 2 tribes at once. One of them only has 3 villagers left, well it had 4 villagers but the one and only female is dead. Before she was dead I tired and tried to get her to have a baby. She was like 48, tired the fertility potion that did not work. So she never got a baby and now all I have left is 3 men villages, can't do much with them.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/15/08 06:25 AM

Are you pausing the game a lot? That affects the nursing clock.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/15/08 07:13 AM

Hi Arnie,
No I'm not pausing the game a lot, just leave it running in the background as I'm trying to get them to fix the bath and they do that better if you leave it running as they stay focused on the jobs you give them. It's more of an inconvience than a bug really and she's now nursing her last baby anyway so it wont be a problem for now. On the other hand one of the other mothers went from 46 to 50 while nursing again not a major problem but it does mean I'll need to get her telling an awful lot of stories to get the parenting skill up to max. Neither of these spoil the game in anyway still loving it about to start my 5th village as no 4 is pretty self suffiecent and only have the bath and statue puzzles to do.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/15/08 01:04 PM

MerelyMagic, the problems you're having appear to be normal from what you describe. Exactly how much water have your villagers poured on the diamond? For the rain dance, you're not using the correct villagers (the Official LDW VV3 Guide has the correct solution. I am now playing a tribe that had been down to one 6-year-old boy with no food, and a series of events finally brought the tribe to a point where I can, once again, grow the tribe and help it thrive. \:\)
Posted by: MerelyMagic

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/16/08 01:19 AM

I have poured water on the fire about 60 times, is that normal??
Posted by: Lurkily

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/16/08 02:32 AM

Have you tried permitting the fire to burn out on its own?
Posted by: HPVV

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/17/08 02:28 AM

All of my graves just disappeared! Along with all but the first name on the roster

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/17/08 04:14 AM

Did the gravestones remain, but only the information about them disappear? If so, that's a bug that we're working on. You can read more about it in this thread.
Posted by: Mahpootie

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/17/08 10:56 AM

I found an interesting little bug this morning when I started a new game. I was flipping between fast and slow in order to get the maximum out of my villagers and when I checked the fire I found it had 102 hours to go before it ran out. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Before you ask - no I wasn't playing with the clock. I have tried that before now but not in this game. The only thing I can think of is that my portable ran out of battery because I had forgotten to plug it in this morning - but that doesn't affect the clock in any way that I know of.

Liz

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/17/08 12:49 PM

Yes, that's one we're working on. \:\) You can see exactly what the issue is by looking at this post earlier in this thread. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/18/08 03:16 PM

I found a problem with the alignment of some of the visual assets; it isn't a bug per se, but it still belongs here.

When the statue is built, the upper body and the lower body are misaligned; it's easiest to see this at the wrist and hand. The single-color scheme of the statue makes it easy to miss. When I started 'painting' the statue, though, these things jumped out at me.

It's important to note that there's significant overlap between the upper body and the standing statues- the top row of dress panels for instance are entirely duplicated, and the next row is about 50% duplicated. The idea is that the upper body will cover this section on the lower body, and the overlap will ensure that there are no seams.

However, when the statue is built, it's positioned so that it only JUST covers the damaged part of the lower body. I've verified that this issue exists in the unmodified game as well, using the stock visual assets. Here's an image of what I'm talking about.

Edit: Unlike the post in the 'painted statue' thread, which doesn't show these problems, this is an in-game screenshot, altered only to highlight the misalignments.
Posted by: HPVV

Re: A place to log bugs? - 06/19/08 05:53 PM

All my gravestones and names vanished. I also have found that if the chief is in the middle of teaching, and you minimize the game, children don't get any improvement in skills. This is also true for anyone who is taking wood or grass to the fireplace.
Posted by: Storm

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/19/08 06:15 PM

I've noticed 3 bugs. The first one, I'm not sure is a bug, but I was able to gather pieces of stone tablet for the collections while the rubble was being cleared only. Not before or after. I understand from reading other posts that they don't start appearing until after clearing on the rubble has begun. Since I have cleared my rubble, I have not seen a single tablet piece. I was only able to gather 4 common, 1 uncommon, and 1 rare during the clearing of the rubble. Everything else was repeats. And like I said, nothing at all since the cave was uncovered. I have completed all puzzles and have all tech lvls.

The second item, I consider a bug. Once all buildings have been completed the builders do no more work. They don't examine the huts or try to fix them unless I sit there and make them do it. That means no master builders once buildings are completed. No builders can be trained unless you manually make them work.

The third item. When the new chief is a child (that is under 14) he can make magic food and point out a rare collectible but not educate the children.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/19/08 10:08 PM

The tablet pieces will appear after the rubble has been cleared. They never appear as often as the other collectibles, and they will not repeat pieces that you have already collected.

It is intended that a child chief will have some limitations that would not be the case with an adult chief.

The builder situation isn't a bug, but we're looking at it.
Posted by: Nibora

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/21/08 02:53 AM

I have experienced that when the Chief is a woman and she's with child, she will not point out any collectibles, nor will she direct any work. Is this a bug?

I have completed all puzzles and all levels and it's been days since I've been able to collect a new collectible. Now, the chief is with child and nothing is happening! HELP!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/21/08 03:50 AM

If you choose to allow a female chief to produce children, she will have limitations while she is nursing. It's how the game is designed. Collectibles will continue to appear normally, but the chief will not be able to point out a rare collectible until she finishes nursing the child.
Posted by: Nibora

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/21/08 03:52 AM

She was a child when she became chief and therefore had not been a parent before... The sad part is that I didn't choose to allow her to produce, some man got to her!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/21/08 04:03 AM

Those are the perils of allowing males to develop that skill. Villagers will do what they know how to do. \:\)
Posted by: colourmehappy

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/21/08 11:07 AM

I built a fire, 10 mins later it went out!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/21/08 12:53 PM

Did you notice the time left on the fire when you started it?
Posted by: i3urtongirl

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/26/08 03:04 AM

My trees aren't growing new fruits and the bees aren't producing honey I can fish, is that normal?

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 06/26/08 04:04 AM

The fruit and honey never replenish the amount they had at first, and the villagers harvest it very quickly. Unless you're watching very carefully, you probably won't notice the replenishment.
Posted by: lukerduker123

Re: A place to log bugs? - 07/11/08 03:09 AM

I U guys still haven't fixed the jump into the empty bath I have version 1.004

Re: A place to log bugs? - 07/11/08 03:29 AM

To be precise, the trees and honey never regenerate their previous levels, if you continue farming them. And you kind of have to have people farming.

If you had enough food stockpiled that you could afford not to have a single villager farming for 1500 Isola years, you could generate up to 3000 honey in the hive, in theory, while the trees would only regenerate 1000 food each.

However, even a single farmer will strip the trees regenerating fruit very quickly, and the hive regenerates so slowly it's not even funny.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 07/11/08 07:54 PM

Not sur if this is the right post for this but here goes:

Is it usual for villagers to start fixing the bath then clearing the rubble without any intervention from me. I only ask as my latest village seems determined to do all these things on their own. I haven't put any villager near any of these places as it's very early in their development and I prefer to get food and build huts first before starting the puzzles but they have almost completed the bath and have now started on the rubble.

Re: A place to log bugs? - 07/11/08 08:32 PM

I assume that you had the plans already drawn for the bath project? The villagers will not start any building project on their own, but it's very easy to accidentally drop a villager onto a construction hotspot without realizing it. All it takes is once. \:\)

Re: A place to log bugs? - 07/11/08 09:46 PM

Bath plans were drawn by accidently knocking my EE into the board when I wanted him to make a potion and I took my eye off the screen and when I ooked back he'd drawn them and not made the potion but I never took any adult near the bath or the rubble as I know from previous experience it only takes one error and accidently drop the villager.

I have noticed this village is more proactive and actively seeks out place of interest rather more than my earlier villages hmm could it be they've been talking to earlier villages!!.
Posted by: Village Elder #1

Re: A place to log bugs? - 07/13/08 04:21 AM

I purchased and Love to play VV3!!!But my game drags part of the time the more and longer I play the worse it gets. Whats wrong? Also when game cds are availiable please send me one! By purchasing the down load I cannot take it with me when I travel! I feel cheated when for the same price I could have purchased at a retail store and had my cd to play where ever I am!!
Posted by: mistymage

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/11/08 10:21 PM

Is the parenting skill non-autonomous or does it require the Guiding Hand to create new life?

I ask because in a previous village I noticed that no new babies were being made when the game was "off". But I figured maybe I didn't have anyone either set to parenting or I was at max pop. or something.

This new set of villagers I had a male set to parenting overnight, I have plenty of room in the village and have both huts restored (partial hut in the middle and ruins by the statue).. there are only 28 villagers right now. So I thought that by the time I next checked not only would I have more villagers but that he should have been close to being a JOAT. The game ran as "normal" from 3:35am to 1:48pm which would be about 10 hours.

He's not any further and the pop. didn't go up:

http://mistymage.com/virtualvillagers/difference.html

If that (28 people) is the max for having 2 huts restored.. shouldn't he still be trying to "embrace" and getting exp. points for those attempts?

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/11/08 11:39 PM

They generally don't try to have children when the population's maxxed - in VV3, if you try to make them, you'll get a message about not enough housing. Much different from humans, that way.

They also GENERALLY don't parent if a different skill is checked, though there are exceptions - especially if there are no tasks for their chosen skill, or they have no skill selected, or no skill in the selected skill. In those cases they just do what they know how to do.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/12/08 12:07 AM

Although elderly males can successfully produce babies in VV3 if you have them embrace a female, they will not initiate breeding on their own. If you want a male to increase the village population on his own, you need to choose one that's under 50.
Posted by: mistymage

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/12/08 01:19 AM

Thank you, LadyCFII, so I guess my "master plan" of leaving parenting as the last skill for a JOAT to learn is full of fail. I guess speed kissing is an option albeit more work for me.. oh well!
Posted by: VillageOfValetta

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/15/08 12:38 PM

my village does not produce new collectibles after all the puzzles are completed only the old collectibles pop out! help! i want to complete my collection!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/15/08 12:43 PM

That's not a bug, but rather the effects of the random nature of collectibles. Are you using the chief to point out rare collectibles each day?

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/15/08 01:00 PM

no it does not work... am i suppose to place the cheif on the collectibles or what? i dun think i am that unlucky i play vv3 more than 12 hrs a day!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/15/08 01:10 PM

If you click on the "?" next to Leadership Tech, there is an explanation of the chief's abilities. This thread contains an explanation of how to get the chief to point out a rare collectible, as well.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/15/08 01:51 PM

nope... still doesnt work...

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/15/08 02:17 PM

Have you got L3 Leadership? If so you will be able to use your chief to point out a rare collectible every 24 hours from the top of the path near the door. Note that the chief does not physically point to the collectible; it may be anywhere on the map. Also remember that it does not have to be a new collectible. You will need a kid to pick up the collectible in the usual way. Of course, if the chief is a child, you can drop him or her on it to pick it up.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/16/08 06:44 AM

thank you i got it sort out already. btw my vv3 cannot be played in fullscreen. when i ask for full screen it gives me a screen of the same size just that the surrounding is black.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/16/08 01:50 PM

That issue is a function of your computer's video card not switching into 800x600 resolution. The video card is staying at the higher resolution and displaying the game in the center of the screen. You can manually set your display setting to 800x600 before running the game full-screen, or you will need to consult your video card's user's manual or contact the manufacturer to determine how to get it to automatically switch to 800x600 resolution.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/16/08 11:12 PM

Updating your video drivers can fix many video issues; also make sure your video drivers are up-to-date by installing the latest drivers from your manufacturer's web site.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/23/08 03:27 PM

The fire in my 4th tribe doesn't know that I'm in Fast Speed!!
As Tufi is nursing for 123min and the banana tree will produce fruit in 3h 53 min!! and my villagers become older of 1 year in 1 hour \:\(
The 3 other tribes are running in Slow Speed and were in slow speed when I started the 4th! But I'm sure that in the Options this 4th is in Fast!
It' not really annoying except that I wonder what will happen for the diamond!

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/23/08 03:39 PM

That's a well-documented glitch caused by repeated pausing. If you put wood on the fire, it will return to normal. You can see a very detailed report earlier in this thread.

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/23/08 03:55 PM

Well I though about repeated pausing could make the problem! But it's so tempting when you have 3 kids and a lovely red mushie!! \:D
Thanks a lot! it's now returned to normal!
Posted by: anyonebutme

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/23/08 08:20 PM

i have a problem. my fire has been out for 2 weeks and its been on fast speed the whole time and i cant seem to get the ash key

Re: [SPOILERS INSIDE] A place to log bugs? - 08/24/08 05:08 AM

You have to keep the fire burning continuously long enough to generate the key (at least several days). Leaving it out for 2 weeks won't produce the key.