Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really?

Posted by: sadboy3000

Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/30/16 01:38 PM

I've been playing VF2 for a long time now, and this has been bothering me since the beginning. Two toys-the kitchen and the car-have some pretty offensive actions going along with them. Why did you feel it necessary to stereotype genders to what you believe each do? I honestly wish that the actions could be changed to something more gender-neutral. Could you give an explanation as to why you thought this was acceptable?
Posted by: KatM

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/31/16 07:23 PM

Perhaps because villagers lived a long time ago. Back then their were certain roles each gender was assign to. There are still women that cook and men that drive even today. I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose.

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/31/16 07:37 PM

I'm referring to VF2, and that game takes place in present times. By the way: my cousin had come over, and she'd written that out. Although I did edit it and get rid of some overly-accusatory things, I see that it is still pretty aggressive, lol. I don't think their intention was to force traditional gender roles down our throat, and I'm not expecting LDW to become super defensive over that(my cousin is, lol). We both just felt like that was outdated and should be fixed. If anyone thinks that that action IS, in fact, fair, your opinion is also welcome. Sorry about the...argumentative-ness of that, I suppose(love my cousin, though)lol,
Posted by: KatM

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/31/16 10:17 PM

Well that's a bit silly to get upset over a game don't you think? wink

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 02/01/16 02:15 AM

I'm trying to treat it as it is: a game-though that doesn't mean you can just overlook everything. I mean, this isn't a big issue: it does not effect gameplay at all. I just don't see why it has to be there. : / That is a fair point, though.
Posted by: ChaoticMoira

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 02/09/16 01:25 AM

A lot of the world is still very comfortable with the idea of archaic gender roles. I assume things like this make it into our media (games, TV, etc) in large part simply out of habit. Then add to that how a large majority of people wouldn't even notice it, and the two add up to slow slow change.

I doubt LDW thought it could or would have offended anyone. I don't know what the tone of the original post was, but I do think your (or your cousin) having voiced your thoughts has value. It isn't an issue as to whether or not a person is "upset over a game" or not. The importance is that it puts the thought of more broad-minded gender equality out there. And maybe the next time the genders will be represented more openly in that manner. It isn't about "a game," it is about the normalization of all genders being "role-free," and how media portrays these things does matter.
Posted by: Britney

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 03/03/16 04:16 AM

I think you should keep in mind that most childrens toys are gender sterotypical, and the fact these games are made by a group of middle aged devs who had no issue with that growing up. I don't find it all that offensive, myself.
Posted by: frogboy

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 03/03/16 04:22 AM

i'm sure "could this offend someone" wasn't a constant nagging question in their heads as they programmed the game...
Posted by: Britney

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 03/03/16 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Frog Boy
i'm sure "could this offend someone" wasn't a constant nagging question in their heads as they programmed the game...

Making things family-friendly was more likely a more pertinent issue, especially since this game was released before the SJWs took over the internet.
Posted by: Kali33

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 03/13/16 06:59 AM

It bothers me too. I let my kids play this game, I don't want them getting the message that dad's drive & mom's cook.
Posted by: Candy_63

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 03/14/16 05:05 PM

First of all, it is a game, have fun with it smile

And both, the girl and the boy is "driving like daddy" and "cooking like mommy" wink In the game itself, no one drives a car, but mother and father prepare meals. Any work in the House is not set to a gender.
Posted by: brainpirate

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 03/23/16 05:13 AM

Yeah basically. If a simple stereotype in a game destroys your confidence to do something, or teaches your kid that boys drive and girls cook, then 1. You won't go far anyway and 2. You're clearly doing something wrong with your kids
Posted by: SilkySpotanus

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/25/17 07:37 AM

Yeah I don't mind it, I'm a fan of cars and ponies, and I'm a girl. smile
Posted by: tygerkittn

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/26/17 09:18 AM

I like it. I'm trying to teach my kids not to be perpetually offended by everything, especially a casual game, so I consider it a valuable teaching tool.
If the developers start trying to cater to every vocal minority they'll never put out another good game. It's the kiss of death. Once you start focusing on making everyone happy, you cease to be able to make anyone happy.
Posted by: Samkkgamer786

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/26/17 10:53 PM

I think people need to chill.It's a game , no need to take it so serious frown
Posted by: Hydra14

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/27/17 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Candy_63
First of all, it is a game, have fun with it smile

And both, the girl and the boy is "driving like daddy" and "cooking like mommy" wink In the game itself, no one drives a car, but mother and father prepare meals. Any work in the House is not set to a gender.

This is the best comment in this thread, exact my opinions wink
Posted by: CherryDrops

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 01/29/17 02:04 PM

I am very into equal rights and all that, but let's be honest, kids copy what they see, whether it be a "gendered" thing or not. A boy will connect with what he sees another boy, his father, does. A girl will connect with what she sees another girl, her mother, does. Or vice versa. Can it be mixed up and the boy cooks like mommy or the girl drives like daddy? Yes. It'd be great if they changed it, since it seems to just be a bit of dialogue, but just seems a bit insignificant. Beyond noticing it the first time or two and thinking it was cute and interesting, it never crossed my mind again. Who knows what we will see in the new game, though?
Posted by: happy733

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 02/18/17 05:03 PM

I am only fan of virtual family series games. I am very patient. But also very interested in seeing a new preview of virtual families 3 if on back burner.

I want to see some progress and new features in use not words. Please keep pc games. that is my favorite. I only have tracfone.

Can you update time frame? Thanks!!!

Sheltie 73
Posted by: Tobie

Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? - 02/20/17 06:00 PM

LadyCFII gave us a nice update a few weeks ago in another post http://www.ldwforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=241201#Post241201

She didn't give any hints about when the game would be ready, but there was still some good news there.