Gong of Wonder (Spoiler)

Posted by: BeautyRedefined

Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:13 AM

I've yet to find a specific answer to this question. When I ring the Gong of Wonder a random message displays. For example it'll say; "Gong of Wonder takes Technology or Health". I've done this 3 times and noticed that when it takes health, more of my villagers die. I thought the Gong was supposed to be good thing.

I have all of the puzzles solved, Level 3 in all technologies. The only collection that I've yet to complete is the Beetles and I'm only lacking one. Could that be causing my Gong to have negative effects or is it something else?
Posted by: eyeshigh

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:25 AM

there are a range of different effects from the gong

some are good, some are not

it is a change you take when you ring it

how complete your collections are does not affect what effect the gong triggers
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:42 AM

And, as all of the messages that came up during the game reveal, there was a reason that the gong was broken up and hidden. \:\)

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:44 AM

still completely superior to the GC
Posted by: BeautyRedefined

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:54 AM

Well, the Gong just granted one of my villagers Wisdom; so that's good. But in the past its only made alot of my villagers die. I defintely won't be ringing it everyday.

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:55 AM

i ring it every day

once your village is well estabilshed, even the taking health effect won't really hurt you much
Posted by: arnie

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 10:47 AM

I usually choose to ring the gong an elderly villager who is a master in two skills but is unlikely to live long enough to reach master in a third. If the gong grants wisdom he or she will likely become an Elder. If the villager is killed it is not really a great loss to the village, and it could be said to be useful if the population is maxed out, making room for another child to be born.

Probably the worst effect I've seen is when the gong takes all the stored food. However, with a large village it doesn't take long to build up stocks to a safe level by pressing all available villagers into action as farmers. Everyone gets unceremoniously dumped into the ocean to fish - it, too, could be said to be useful in that it helps train a number in farming.

Sickness, though it might mean a busy few minutes for your doctors, has its useful side, as it helps improve their skills. The loss of tech points is immaterial as I've only ever seen small amounts deducted and there's nothing other than a change of clothes for the villagers to spend it on anyway.

One gong result I've never been able to fathom out is when it gives/takes technology. I've not seen any difference either way.
Posted by: drammars

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:10 PM

I just rang the gong and got a message of "The gong grants vision". If anyone has any idea what that's supposed to mean (or do) I'd appreciate a heads up, because I could see no discernible difference to my villagers, the food, or the technology, nor did anyone act in a peculiar way.

I got a kick out of the one "The gong grants life" and suddenly all my females of child-bearing age were pregnant! Wasn't too pleased though, since I breed for blonds and redheads, and got a bunch of dark haired babies. (Made them researchers, and never made them parents.)
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 04:43 PM

You have to look in the right place immediately after ringing the gong in order to experience the effects of granting vision. If you search for the word "vision" using the forum search function, you'll find more specifics. \:\)
Posted by: poottersmama

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/01/07 09:04 PM

use the restore villager stew

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/02/07 02:26 PM

I had that and one that said it granted luck saw no difference in either!

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/02/07 04:46 PM

it was my understanding that being granted luck meant that rare collectibles were more likely to show up for a short period of time
Posted by: sfrose

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/02/07 08:34 PM

When I've gotten "granted luck" I've gotten another event a few minutes later.

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/02/07 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: sfrose
When I've gotten "granted luck" I've gotten another event a few minutes later.
Same here. I think that's the meaning.

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/02/07 11:27 PM

i thought so too but got nada!
Posted by: Wonka2

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/06/07 10:24 PM

I was just granted vision, went to the graveyard and there was NOTHING.
WHY NOT!!!!!
Posted by: Krystal

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/21/07 11:13 PM

Recently, I rang the gong and got 'Gong grants Luck' and then I realized that I needed to get the three eligible females to have babies so the tribe would survive. I paired them off, and a few moments later one of my females came out of the hut and she was holding twins! Yay!

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/21/07 11:13 PM

WilleWonka~~
You may not have gotten there fast enough.
Posted by: gokul

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/24/07 01:45 AM

I too experienced the "gong grants luck" case...and soon after that i had an event...

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/24/07 11:20 AM

Yes, the "luck" comes in getting an unscheduled event. The gong doesn't say whether it's good or bad, or even indifferent luck, though; most such events I got were of the "Today is Isola Day" sort, where nothing really happens.

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/24/07 05:48 PM

I never got an event when the gong granted luck! :P
Posted by: sfrose

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/24/07 07:27 PM

Did you switch to another game slot or quit the game? That might have prevented the new Event. It doesn't happen immediately, but an event does arrive after a few minutes.
Posted by: Wonka2

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/24/07 11:12 PM

vision again and no ghost
Posted by: raisinstar

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/25/07 04:12 PM

I just quit banging the gong altogether. Don't seem worth the trouble to just get something you don't understand or more trouble than you already have.

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/26/07 01:27 PM

it exciting, keeps it interesting

when it took all of my food away from one of my established villages it created a new minichallenge in the game
Posted by: Pinkfish

Re: Gong of Wonder (Spoiler) - 05/27/07 03:11 AM

the gong has granted me youth and NO ONE got younger
but when it Takes Its sure takes when I Had to train 3 year olds to be healers because the adults were all sick !!