Information about purchasing VV4

Posted by: ArthurAdministrator

Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:36 AM

Hi everyone,

We are excited and proud to announce the release of Virtual Villagers - The Tree of Life!

Here are some details regarding the launch.

The game will be a special developer's edition package, and will include the Official Game Guide free of charge, as well as some other extras such as the full soundtrack, when purchased from us here at LDW. We are pricing it at the standard $19.95, with some serious discounts on the previous Virtual Villagers chapters if you don't have them yet and buy them at the same time.

The game will be sold exclusively at LDW for a while while we make sure it is working perfectly, and while we figure out the next stage in the distribution strategy. Things got a little more complex in the casual download market lately, as prices have changed and larger games like Virtual Villagers are often considered 'premium games' at many sites. We are still trying to figure all this out and we'll keep you posted. For now, it is available here.

We also have a new download server. The files are being hosted on a "cloud server" on the famous Rackspace. That should mean that the files download faster, don't get jammed up on the first days, and the link will look a little longers and weirder so don't be too concerned about that.

PC Version:
http://c0580162.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/VV4Setup_1_00_01b.exe

Mac Version:
http://c0580162.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/VV4_Mac_Demo_1_00.zip

We had fun making the game, and we truly hope you enjoy playing it! Thanks, again and always, for all of your tremendous support and well-wishes!! laugh You always know where to reach us.

Arthur,
Lead Designer
Last Day of Work

Heather's Edits:
Originally Posted By: LadyCFII
Unfortunately, Plimus scheduled system maintenance at the same time as our launch of VV4. They appear to be having continuing problems, but we are handling the issues everyone is having as quickly as we can. We do ask for everyone's patience and understanding; we are as unhappy about this as you all are. frown

NOTE: Feb 26 1:57pm PST: If you purchased the game and are having trouble with the download links or with the wrong version of the game (Need Windows, received Mac), please use our Support Form, and Heather (Xay) will get back to you as soon as possible!

Posted by: chris30s

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:39 AM

Woohoo!
Posted by: Muddeh

Woot! It's out! Lets go party and buy the game!
Posted by: LadySouls

ooooo yay!!!
Posted by: *Vanna

woohooo!!
Posted by: Serafinos

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:40 AM

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!
Will never take away from the birth of a wonderful baby boy --
but we sure this is close to the feeling for you all!

CONGRATULATIONS, LDW!!!! Cheers!
Posted by: angelbonzo

thank you soooo much LDW!!
Posted by: Havetia

Yay!
Posted by: DizzyNanna

Woo Hoo fantastic, well done LDW

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:41 AM

It's not quite live yet...some small ecommerce issues we are trying to fix/prevent. Should be soon.
Posted by: Krystal

AWESOME!!! gringringringrin
Posted by: Jamie001

cool ty and where do i buy it lol

~Jamie
Posted by: Joine The Great

Okie dokie, take your time. smile
Posted by: Muddeh

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:42 AM

Awesome! I'm so gonna buy it when it's live!
Posted by: hjones612

smile
Posted by: DarcyPhin

yeah!
Posted by: Ky13

It is a good day!! Thanks Arthur.
Posted by: evvywev

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:43 AM

smile
Posted by: halidog

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:43 AM

I can't waiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
Posted by: skipper45mn

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:45 AM

yeah I am so happy hope it goes live soon but do take all the time you need Arthur and LDW
Posted by: Caristiona

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 12:46 AM

thanks for the update arthur!!!! GAH!!! the suspense is killing me grin
Posted by: Dilana

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 01:00 AM

Yay! Woot!Woot! Anxiously awaiting the build posting laugh
Posted by: EMMA2424

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 01:05 AM

LET the games begin!!!!
Posted by: TheGnome

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 01:07 AM

YES!!! Thank you Arthur and LDW!!!
Posted by: bfunky123

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:12 AM

So happy for you guys, and me too!!! Congrats,
Posted by: slh

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:15 AM

Awesome - grabbing it now, credit card ready. SHOULD there be three "buy now" links on the page, or just two?

Collector's Edition sounds great, just for the inclusion of the game guide. I hope you don't have to cave to the $6.99 trend. Games are worth more than that.
Posted by: Lukerie

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:18 AM

Im so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to go home to buy it laugh

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:21 AM

BOUGHT IT!! woo-hoooooo!
Now to get it downloaded -- ugh more waiting! LOL

THANK YOU LDW HUGS!!!!
grin laugh
Posted by: pwrpffgrl

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:21 AM

It's out!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:26 AM

OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMG DOWNLOADING!!!!
I CAN NOT CONTAIN MYSELF!!
Hubby's hee-hawing at me! LOLOL
Let him -- this is better than Tiffany's!
laugh

SCRATCH THAT -- what was I thinking? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Posted by: Britney

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:26 AM

DOWNLOADING

IMA LOVE IT SO MUCH
Posted by: VVFanatic

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:38 AM

WOOOOOOO HOOOOO !!!
Posted by: DarkJMKnight

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:39 AM

Congrats all around, you guys rock! :~)
I particularly agree with Britney above... :~)
Posted by: RoseRed

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:50 AM

I specifically hit the PC version when it asked, but in my downloads, it says it is downloading the mac version.

Wonder why?
Posted by: CarlaAdministrator

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:51 AM

Arthur is fixing this right this second.
Posted by: Bluedog13

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:52 AM

Thank u LDW for this wonderful game!!!!!!! laugh
Posted by: amytweedmike

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:58 AM

i know what you mean i paid for mine and got no key i dont have a mac
Posted by: Water4in

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 02:59 AM

Good work! Congrats to LDW team! Thanks very much!

I am very excited about the new VV4 game. Just purchased and can't wait to play it after work tonight.

smile
Posted by: TG3

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:01 AM

Thank you so much for releasing the game!!!! smile
Posted by: Krelxean

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:01 AM

Downloading...

EDIT: i have a PC. will command+enter put it into windowed mode? My comp has issues with fullscreen.
Posted by: LadySouls

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:12 AM

Thank you so much for all the time and hard work...and, ya know, for listening to us whine all day wink and for giving us such a great game..well, games, but specifically this newest one
Posted by: evvywev

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:19 AM

oh boy an hour goes so fast and I can't buy till Wednesday but it seems awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:34 AM

Alrighty then...so...in the meantime...should I uninstall the Mac version? Get my money refunded and wait until it is fixed? Or will there be a way to download the PC version with the $20 I already paid?
Posted by: cindylouwho

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:45 AM

How do I find XAY to send her a PM? My game guide won't work and I have no idea how to contact someone. CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?! TY in advance
Posted by: XayAdministrator

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:53 AM

If you purchased the game and are having trouble with the download link for the Extras package (the game guide, etc), or with the wrong version of the game (Need Windows, received Mac), please use our Support Form, and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

Posted by: emri

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 03:56 AM

Love it,but cant buy until pay day.Makes me so sad.
Posted by: EricaY99

Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 04:24 AM

I ran the free hour and bought for Windows and received a receipt for Mac. I haven't received unlock codes either. Been nearly one hour. Any advice? Thank you

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 04:28 AM

Erica, please PM me with your order information and I'll help you with that!
Posted by: EricaY99

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 04:31 AM

Just sent. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you
Posted by: scrappydu2

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 04:41 AM

Hi,

Not sure about the message you posted about those of us who can't get the download ink to work...who do we need to contact?

Scrappydu2
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 04:51 AM

Send a Support Form using http://www.ldw.com/support
Posted by: brand1l3n

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 06:54 AM

Silly question I'm sure, but how do I find and open the Game Guide? It comes with purchase, right?

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: brand1l3n
Silly question I'm sure, but how do I find and open the Game Guide? It comes with purchase, right?

Not silly at all. I don't see it anywhere either.
Posted by: Houjun

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: RoseRed
Originally Posted By: brand1l3n

Not silly at all. I don't see it anywhere either.

It should have been in the e-mail that was sent you after your purchase. If you're not seeing it or you're having trouble opening it, please send a private message to Xay. Her profile is here and then click on send a private message. She will be able to help you out.
Posted by: slh

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 07:51 AM

The email you received should have had a link to download the game, and a link to download the extras.

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 08:03 AM

Unfortunately, I was one of the people who got the mac error download.
They fixed it and now I have the pc version. But I didn't get an email with any of that info.
All I got was a PM with my key code and a link to re-download the game.

I'll send a support form and find out what I can do.

Thanks.
Posted by: Mbee

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 10:18 AM

YES its here, couldn't get through last night, server was too busy, just downloaded and gonna try right now
Posted by: spendermisty

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/23/10 04:37 PM

fantastic, brillant, no problems.worth the wait, now waiting for the next one, not that i'm greedy just love your games
Posted by: Lailai

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/24/10 07:30 AM

Nice to see LDW going greedy like EA and selling extras like the game guide for another $10.. Just look at steam games. Updates with new content are released even years after release for free..
Posted by: Houjun

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/24/10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Lailai
Nice to see LDW going greedy like EA and selling extras like the game guide for another $10.. Just look at steam games. Updates with new content are released even years after release for free..

Actually, if you noticed under Developer's Edition features, it says that the game guide itself is included in the purchase of the game from the LDW website, along with the soundtrack and wallpapers. So the 19.95 nets not only the game but those three things as well.

The separate game guide is available for purchase for those in the future who would like to purchase it after getting the game from a different website.
Posted by: keri

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/25/10 05:02 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered but I am just popping in for a moment between packing boxes and don't have time to read all the posts.

Is the game going to continue to be a special editors addition including the game guide or is this only for a limited time during early launch?

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/25/10 05:22 AM

The Developer's Edition of Virtual Villagers: The Tree of Life (along with the extra goodies) will remain available exclusively through Last Day of Work even after the regular version is distributed to other game sites.
Posted by: keri

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/25/10 05:30 AM

Thanks for the answer Xay! Got that gut feeling that this is going to be the best one yet!
Posted by: Bluedog13

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/25/10 08:24 PM

Xay I have a problem I downloaded the demo and then as soon as it ended I bought the game and didn't get the guide
I bought the game from LDW from a screen as soon as the free trial ended a bubble popped up and it said buy VV4 and I clicked that and the normal process went on
I will post this in technicval support.

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/25/10 09:41 PM

Bluedog, please send me a support form using the link in my signature.
Posted by: skipper45mn

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/25/10 09:57 PM

Despite one possible glitch love the game. Thank you Arthur, Carla and everyone else for the best VV game yet. Will have hours of fun while waiting for the next game you launch.

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/26/10 07:59 PM

Just to put this in perspective, if you buy the game from us you pay $9.99, and you get the game guide free. We are not intending to make one cent on the game guide, we are trying to give people more reasons to buy the games from us.

Steam has a different model. Their games that continue to receive the free updates are their in-house games and are the vehicles for their portal. They reward you for using their portal (Steam) with the free content updates, and they monetize that by selling hundreds of other games to you. I love Steam, btw...it's just a different model.

Fun fact: When you buy a VV game at a competing portal, in most cases they keep the majority of the money. We receive as little as $2 from some of them. There has been a lot of controversy about this in the last year, and the general result was that many developers decided that they were going to quietly make their casual games smaller and cheaper, to make up for the low revenue coming in from all the distributors (due to the small % we keep, and the crazy price competition).

We really do not want to make the VV games, or any of our games, smaller or cheaper. In fact, we are spending more than ever on the development, so we are moving forward carefully and trying to make good decisions to keep this sustainable for us, and to keep making the games that we believe in.

I will talk more about this going forward as we figure out and announce the rest of our distribution plan for Virtual Villagers 4 - The Tree of Life.
Posted by: ~AlexDaMan~

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 02:29 AM

wooooooot
Posted by: Zaboo

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 08:57 AM

What does it mean by Developer Edition. Does it mean that if I download the Development Edition and play finish the 60 minutes free trial, when the reular edition come out, I can re-download again and play again (full 60 minutes). When will the regular version come out?
If I buy the guide for VV4 developers edition when VV4 guide come out how?
If I buy VV4 developers edition and when VV4 come out or a new version come out how?

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 09:34 AM

The Developer's Edition is the full version of the game that is bundled with special, exclusive content from LDW (the developer of the series). There is no 'development edition' of VV4, since we conduct all testing in private. If you go here, you will see that the Developer's Edition includes the Official Guide, wallpapers for your desktop, and MP3 player compatible soundtracks.

As with all of our games, the Windows version download is a free trial that will allow you to play for 60 minutes. Entering the activation code that you receive when you purchase the game will unlock the game's full features. If you use up your free trial from our site, you will not be able to have another free trial from our site.
Posted by: samsam101

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 01:37 PM

I had a trial and I want to buy it but it is tooo expensive and I want to know how much it would be in pounds
Posted by: arnie

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 02:14 PM

According to this page (if you need to, set the currency) the cost is £13.82 at the moment. I think you'll need to add on VAT, though.
Posted by: samsam101

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 02:54 PM

thanks arine
I think I will have to wait for it to come out on big fish games because its always cheaper on there I wonder when it will come out on there

When is VV4 going to be on big fish games can you submit it to them noooooow!!!!!!
Posted by: arnie

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 04:17 PM

Ask them. wink
Posted by: laurence

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 02/27/10 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Arthur
Fun fact: When you buy a VV game at a competing portal, in most cases they keep the majority of the money. We receive as little as $2 from some of them.
they are...
There has been a lot of controversy about this in the last year, and the general result was that many developers decided that they were going to quietly make their casual games smaller and cheaper, to make up for the low revenue coming in from all the distributors (due to the small % we keep, and the crazy price competition).

We really do not want to make the VV games, or any of our games, smaller or cheaper. In fact, we are spending more than ever on the development, so we are moving forward carefully and trying to make good decisions to keep this sustainable for us, and to keep making the games that we believe in.
and you are right! But I suppose that it's not easy every day! GO LDW!
Posted by: vh713

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 03/04/10 07:00 AM

I had some issues getting the game loaded. I'd like to thank Heather; she responded to my email very quickly and I've had no more problems. The game is great.

Virginia
Posted by: Antheia

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 03/08/10 01:10 AM

Go Arthur!!! Continue making your guys' games honestly, just like you always have. I am looking into purchasing VV4 soon. Now, tell everyone at LDW to give themselves a pat on the back and a round of applause!
Posted by: chocolatechip

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 03/13/10 04:16 PM

If you love ldw games clap your hands! more people then I can count stand up and clap!* smile
Posted by: Brittlestar1

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 03/21/10 02:27 PM

i think you guys are doing a great job making all the LDW games! if i continued, i would be repeating what everyone else is saying.
Posted by: charstone

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 03/31/10 07:04 PM

Just a FYI,
I play games on the IWIN site and today's new game is VV-Tree of Life as a premium game with stragety guide and including Virtual Family for $19.95, good deal. I already have the VF games that I purchased from IWIN. I have the other vv games that I purchased from the store. I've already download VV Tree of Life from LDW site but have not purchased it yet. When on LDW site seen references about issues, so I decided to wait a bit befor purchasing.
Posted by: Mbee

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 03/31/10 10:12 PM

Fun fact: When you buy a VV game at a competing portal, in most cases they keep the majority of the money. We receive as little as $2 from some of them.

I would stop doing business with those portals for sure because that is absolutely crazy shocked
Posted by: charstone

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 04/03/10 08:27 PM

I purchased the game from LDW.
Posted by: Lailai

Re: Information about purchasing VV4 - 06/05/10 03:24 AM

Just to put this in perspective, if you buy the game from us you pay $19.95, as you always have, and you get the game guide free. We are not intending to make one cent on the game guide, we are trying to give people more reasons to buy the games from us.

Steam has a different model. Their games that continue to receive the free updates are their in-house games and are the vehicles for their portal. They reward you for using their portal (Steam) with the free content updates, and they monetize that by selling hundreds of other games to you. I love Steam, btw...it's just a different model.

Fun fact: When you buy a VV game at a competing portal, in most cases they keep the majority of the money. We receive as little as $2 from some of them. There has been a lot of controversy about this in the last year, and the general result was that many developers decided that they were going to quietly make their casual games smaller and cheaper, to make up for the low revenue coming in from all the distributors (due to the small % we keep, and the crazy price competition).

I will talk more about this going forward as we figure out and announce the rest of our distribution plan for Virtual Villagers 4 - The Tree of Life.

Just saw that.. at first when I saw the guide was $10 I thought the $20 does not include the guide. Sorry for misreading