What to do now

Posted by: Anonymous

What to do now - 04/12/05 06:05 PM

Okay, I have no tech points, 9 villagers (reproducing like rabbits. . .) and am almost out of food. I've built another hut, because building was the only thing they could do after they finished foraging. What is my next step? I can't do anything
Posted by: TouchyToucan

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 06:15 PM

I'm just starting out too, and you need to have one or two people researching -- that's how you earn tech points.
Posted by: MissEh

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 06:20 PM

At the beginning of a new game, consider carefully the long range effects of training your villagers in the different skill areas. I know, at first, the instinct is to get food, food, food, but that is more of a short-term survival goal.

Research is very important, as it helps your villagers find better ways to survive...

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 06:37 PM

I have everyone set with research as their preference. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there any other way to get them to research, other than setting it as their preference?
Posted by: TouchyToucan

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 06:39 PM

You have to physically get them to research by dragging them to the large table in front of the hut.
Posted by: ArthurAdministrator

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 07:03 PM

If you drag them to research and they are successful at least once, AND set their skill preference to research, they will pretty much research most of the time.
Posted by: Flash57

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 07:09 PM

Right. You can set them to a specific preference, but they won't actually do that task until you drag them over and teach them.

To teach one of them research, for example, drag him onto the table. Now, watch him for a few moments. If he understands what you are teaching him, you'll get a note saying that he has improved. If not, he will shrug his shoulders and go do something else. You will need to drag him back to the table again and again until he improves at least one notch in research (check the details page).

After that, he'll happily do research on his own.

This also goes for farming, breeding, building and healing.
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: What to do now - 04/12/05 08:04 PM

With the construction skill you'll have to check your villager's details screen to see if they've improved. For some reason, the messages telling you that a villager has improved in building don't appear.
Posted by: fdisk

Re: What to do now - 04/13/05 03:08 PM

I'm the one who started the thread. I'm all registered now. . .

Okay, so I'm stupid. I started a new game last night, and I discovered the huge table was for research. I'm at 14 hours of realtime, and I have researched Harvesting, and am getting ready to research Science. Thanks for all the help.

Re: How do you do the Puzzels? - 04/13/05 05:37 PM

I just go my game too, how do I do the puzzels? Thanks.....Buny
Posted by: TheVillageIdiot

Re: How do you do the Puzzels? - 04/13/05 05:40 PM

You will get award a game peice as you go along with the game. At this point, just keeping the villagers alive until you get your field going is the first thing to stay on top of.
Posted by: Buny251

Re: How do you do the Puzzels? - 04/13/05 05:49 PM

Thanks.......Buny
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: How do you do the Puzzels? - 04/13/05 05:52 PM

In addition to gathering food and researching, you can drag your villagers around on the map and look for things that they can do.
Posted by: Flash57

Re: What to do now - 04/13/05 06:37 PM

Don't feel too stupid. I also played the game for nearly as long as you did before I realized what the table was for.

It's not really very obvious that standing at a table, moving bowls around all day, will lead to scientific breakthroughs in spirituality or fertility.
Posted by: treefern

Re: What to do now - 04/13/05 08:07 PM

It may be a little late to ask, but did you use the tutorial? It certainly does give you a nudge in the right direction quite often.....including towards the research table