Newbie questions

Posted by: simplerich

Newbie questions - 05/23/05 03:09 PM

Are some villagers just better at some things than others? One guy with a green-beard. I swear I couldn't get him to forage to save his life, literally... but he's a researching fool. Or maybe I'm the fool and I'm imagining it all.

I keep having an event happen where a crate floats up or a jar shows up and I open it. I've had to restart 3 games now because before I've even got 500 food (with original villagers; and 2 harvesting) somebody gets eaten or attacked by poison spiders or something horrible. Doesn't anything good ever happen to these poor stranded folks?

I'm sure there's more, but I'm on my lunch break and shoveling an Arby's wrap in my face and I can't remember anything right now.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Posted by: LadyCFIIAdministrator

Re: Newbie questions - 05/23/05 03:13 PM

The villagers definitely have different personalities and aptitudes. I've even taken to calling some of my villagers 'farming dummies' because they just don't get it!

There are actually more good island events than there are bad ones. It just sounds like you've had a string of bad luck! Plus, every game is a little different!
Posted by: tigger4will

Re: Newbie questions - 05/23/05 03:16 PM

you're right. Some villagers seem to be more apt to do certain things. If you check thier detail screen, you can see what their skills are. If you check one of the skills, that's what they will tend to do from now on.
You seem to have some terrible luck on your island!! Believe me, there are some happy events and for you, one needs to come along quickly!!

Good luck!
Posted by: aRia

Re: Newbie questions - 05/23/05 08:37 PM

I've noticed that too. I have a few villagers that I've checked to do one thing but when they get bored they go off and do their own thing. I'm just glad that its productive and not sitting there eating me out of house and home.

(Which I believe they try to do, I'm living off seasonal food and in between harvest berries.. and there has been some really close calls.)

Re: Newbie questions - 05/23/05 11:50 PM

OK. I think I need to buy a new Tungsten E.
My first event for this new game was a tidal wave washing away all my food... just after the berry bush went dry and before I have harvest 2. lolol

OK. I'm going to trust that there are good events out there. I suspect my machine may be cursed though.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 12:00 AM

Let's hope not!
Posted by: foodleking

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 12:52 AM

I have an old Visor Prism that is hexed too! It dumped all my info and started smoking. I could trade you. Actually, there are lots of cool events that are good too. Personally, I always choose to do whatever the option is, just to see what happens. I figure I can always start over if it's too terrible to recover from.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 01:09 AM

I'm so jealous, I've only had 3 events since I started this game. 1 was the tidal wave that washed out 300+ food supply, then not long after that the berry bush went dry. After a while of starvation the berry bush had one berry left that seemed to feed the 5 people. 2nd event was a monkey came and messed with my food but left me with 400 food, but something happened to that and I was down to 100. I finally got enough points to get my second harvest. I can't remember what my 3rd event was.

So far events are few and far fetched, mostly bad ones XD. But then again I've only been playing for 43 hours.
Posted by: Gemelle

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 02:58 AM

Out of curiosity, what level are you setting your game? I have it on the easiest setting and my luck has been ok.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 03:03 AM

Difficulty = Med, Speed = Fast

^_^.. I have a new event but I'm not sure if I want to go check it out or not.. *lol* Fear of the unknown.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 03:06 AM

I have difficult = low, speed = normal

I had trouble with the health of my villagers when I had the speed on fast. (that was my 3rd attempt. but it was an attempt on the unregistered version.)

Re: Newbie questions - 05/24/05 05:28 AM

Ah, I have health problems now and then but I think its just the food issue. Some of my villagers are lazy so and so's who wont work when I turn my head. They all have the ablity to fish and farm but dont want to. I've caught a few just sitting down complaining about not knowing what to do. XD

I just made one guy a breeder just for a few minutes while I watched tv. When I came back he had 6 ladies pregnant and there's one new baby running around. XD Boy was I quick to un-breeder his behind. XD Good thing incest has nothing to do with health.. *lol*

Re: Newbie questions - 05/26/05 06:21 PM

ARGH! The curse continues. :/
Last night I had two new babies, a new hut, and found a crate of food. Huzzah!
This morning I had "New Game" and had to register again. I didn't do anything but put the confounded thing on my desk by the bed and didn't even have a computer with me that I could connect it to if I'd wanted to.
So, I started over... again... and poisoned my best farmer with a yellow potion that, upon drinking it, turned her very ill. And I've no idea when I'll get around to making a doctor.

Speed=Normal, Difficulty=Medium

I think I should either trade for the smoking treo or uninstall the game to give the poor islanders a break from my torturing them with this cursed machine! lol

Re: Newbie questions - 05/26/05 11:41 PM

Forcing you to start a new game is not normal behavior for Village Sim. Just out of curiosity, how much free memory do you have on your Tungsten E? I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem. Having enough memory won't prevent poisoning your villagers, but it helps the game run better.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 02:32 AM

Free Memory is 18.2Meg, or 63%. I've got a memory card but am not trying to run this off of there. I tried that once a few days ago and it kept crashing so I decided running it off the card wasn't recommended after all hehehe.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 02:32 PM

I always seem to be on the path of starvation. what can I do about the bush going dry before getting my second harvest?

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 02:36 PM

Quote:

I always seem to be on the path of starvation. what can I do about the bush going dry before getting my second harvest?

I make sure the bush never goes dry. I plan my population carefully to make sure there's enough food for everyone.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 03:01 PM

My berry bush runs dry about the time I get the farm up and going unless monkeys come and eat all the berries or a flock of birds come and denude the poor thing. I haven't starved anybody to death yet, but I don't have 'em start making babies until I've got farm 2 because I'm scared of having rotting corpses all over, running out of food and turning them into fans of long pig. EEP!

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 03:09 PM

Hmmm what level of diffifculty do you have your game on? How fast is your game speed?

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 07:33 PM

Oh. I'm middle of the road on both usually.
Speed=Normal, Difficulty=Medium.
I say usually, because if I'm going to be sitting there actively playing with them I put it on fast speed.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 07:53 PM

My speed = normal, difficulty = easy. I also placed my speed on fast when I was actively playing with it. However when I did that, I ran into berry bush starvation problem. But I never did get the attack of the birds in easy mode. I did get one attack of the parrots at 140 hours or so. But by then it didn't matter what I had on the berry bush or my farm.
Posted by: treefern

Re: Newbie questions - 05/27/05 10:17 PM

simplerich, it sounds like you are using one of the proven strategies. Given everyone plays the game differently, but using the berries sparingly till the farm starts, and waiting for the farm again to breed are useful things to try.

The game can be slow and nerve-wracking until things start building up, so just keep working at it

Savi
Posted by: fluffycubes

Re: Newbie questions - 05/29/05 12:24 AM

Having a Tungsten E is not your problem. It is the best machine I have owned up until now. I am running mine on a memory card. Don't shut the palm off from the game go to your home page first. That should stop the locking up problem you are having. I have finished the game except for one puzzle with my tungsten running on a memory card. Wait for a while to start breeding. It makes a big difference.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/29/05 02:16 PM

Hoody Hoo!!!

The curse has been lifted!
A monkey made some mojo on my tech-table and I got some points and while the villagers were all agog over being shown up by Shakespeare's monkey a whale washed up on shore and one of my enterprising farmers thought it might be a good idea to harvest it (With some prompting from me... I needed the food far more than a whale that owes me a favor due to one of my enterprising 18 year olds deciding that since I hadn't told him what to do when he was younger he'd be a breeder while I slept! Ain't that the truth! ROFL - kids... can't keep your eyes off 'em for two minutes!)

So, the good fortune appears to be turning up just about the time my original villagers appear to be ready to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/29/05 04:54 PM

Oh thats great, glad to hear that you got many good events. I've had a few really bad ones when I played my games and not so many good ones at all.

My people went brain dead for a while because I didnt want to lose 135000 tech points, food got washed away, bobo turned into a baby... ^^;; Yeah glad someone's seeing the brite side of the rainbow. *lol*

Re: Newbie questions - 05/29/05 10:00 PM

Quote:

My people went brain dead for a while because I didnt want to lose 135000 tech points

You've got me scared now lol. I never even HAD that many points and wouldn't want to lose 'em either! Maybe I'll miss that event. *fingers crossed*
Posted by: sktmm

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 12:36 PM

I'm a real newbie, I've got 48 hours played. Today a couple of my "elderly" women villagers died after they had babies. Two questions 1)did I hasten their death by encouraging them to breed? 2)their decomposing corpses are just sitting in the village center, is this going to cause a health problem for the village? Is there a way to move them to the "sacred area for the dead"?

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 12:40 PM

We haven't found that breeding causes pre-mature death. It's actually less strenuous for them than fishing!
As for the dead villagers, they will decompose on thier own without health issues until you reach a certain level of technical awareness!!

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 12:42 PM

Your elderly women would have died anyway. It doesn't appear to stress them very much to have babies (unlike real life)!

The corpses are more of a problem for you than they are for your villagers. It DOES look bad to see them sitting there in village center. Your villagers can give them a proper burial if they know how!

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 12:45 PM

Here's an appearance question. I've noticed the young adults in my village are more colorful than the older members. Do they get duller as they mature, or just differences in individual appearance?

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 12:52 PM

The adult villagers' appearance doesn't change as the game progresses. The elderly villagers do slow down, but any other differences you see are simply a result of individual differences in clothing, etc.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 01:01 PM

Are the females ever too old to breed. I've been trying to use the older ones so that the younger ones can keep working.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 01:02 PM

Is there a way to make villagers healthy before they actually get sick? I've tried dragging them over to eat or drink well water. If I try to heal them before they're sick they think I'm trying to get them to breed.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 01:04 PM

Females can breed until they die, but be careful, because if they die while nursing, the baby dies too.

Re: Newbie questions - 05/30/05 01:06 PM

Quote:

Is there a way to make villagers healthy before they actually get sick? I've tried dragging them over to eat or drink well water. If I try to heal them before they're sick they think I'm trying to get them to breed.

There isn't much you can do to keep them from getting sick. Having enough food on hand is a great start though!
As soon as you see your villager with a "sick" label, get another villager to heal them. (preferrably a doctor!)

If thier status says "weakened" there's nothing you can do to fix this. keep plenty of food on hand and they will hopefully get better soon!

Here is a link to another thread that may explain all of this better: this post
Posted by: imani08

Re: Newbie questions - 06/06/05 12:58 AM

How old do the children have to be before they start being productive members of the village?
Posted by: foodleking

Re: Newbie questions - 06/06/05 02:17 AM

Re: Newbie questions - 06/06/05 08:56 PM

ok thanks ... next stupid newbie question ... is there a period of time where crops do not grow? And does someone need to continue to tend to the field during this time for the next growing season to start?

Re: Newbie questions - 06/06/05 09:03 PM

The farm has a crop cycle much like a real farm. Villagers continue to improve their farming skills as they work the farm, which will come in very handy and provide lots of food later on in the game, when it will be needed.

Re: Newbie questions - 06/07/05 02:42 AM

Next question ... I have an Adept Scientist that I switched over to Trainee Breeder, she had a baby and sat for a while nursing. After a while, I figured it was about time for the baby to be ready scamper off on its own, but I was about to step away from my Palm for a while, and I didn't want mom to immediately drag another villager into the hut and have another baby, so I switched her back to a scientist while she was still caring for baby. I walked away for a bit (it ended up only being about a minute), and when I came back and looked at the map view, I noticed the new little one scampering about. I then went to find my scientist, to make sure she had returned to the research table, and she had - but she's stilll carrying a baby! My population count hasn't gone up beyond the baby I know she was caring for earlier, so is this a bug? Or have the women on my island found feminism and become working mothers!?! While I've been typing this, she's wandered away from the table to go try to push the boulder, still with baby in her arms.

(I finally realized why this company picked their name ... once your boss sees how much time you spend playing all their awesome sim games, it really will be your last day of work .... :} )

Update: about 20 minutes later, the baby disappeared. I wasn't looking at mom when it happened, so I can't pinpoint exactly when/how it hapened...
Posted by: Brenda

Re: Newbie questions - 06/07/05 08:25 AM

I had that happen a few times too. I think it's just a little quirk of the game.

The "spare" baby usually disapears the moment you drag the mom somewhere, or when she begins a chore that involves picking up something, such as watering the crops, fishing, laundry, etc.

I like to think of it as she's like many real moms, and just doesn't want to "let go" of her baby, even when they've already left.

Re: Newbie questions - 06/07/05 09:32 AM

You're exactly right, Brenda. It is a small bug in the timing of when the "baby decal" is removed from the mom. The "real" baby has turned into a toddler and is probably off chasing butterflies or something!

Re: Newbie questions - 06/07/05 03:51 PM

I've noticed the same thing with the lingering baby... I had a builder lady working away lugging a baby around with her. I think it's just a doll that she carries with her to avoid post-partum or something... that or it's a graphics glitch. *grin*

Re: Newbie questions - 06/18/05 03:44 PM

The funniest thing I've seen is Mom going fishing with the babe in her arms. It looks like she is about to commit infanticide.
Posted by: crivera

Re: Newbie questions - 06/18/05 08:00 PM

I have 13 villagers 3 childern some how food always runs out and dont have enough tech points to get level 3 harvesting any ideas as to what I can do?

Re: Newbie questions - 06/18/05 08:06 PM

I don't usually have more than about ten or so villagers until I have level 3 of harvesting, because food becomes a problem - children eat as much as adults do. You've started to push the limits of how many villagers you can feed from the farm, so food will probably be a little tight at this point. The best thing to do is to keep as many villagers as possible at the research table until you can purchase level 3 of harvesting, and don't make any more baby villagers yet. Once your villagers can fish, food won't be a problem.

Re: Newbie questions - 06/19/05 09:19 AM

Oiy! What a game. My 3rd village -- I can't get anyone to breed, build or figure out what the plants, fields, rocks or other things on the island are.

Once question, must I wait for one village to "complete" her research before I drag another to the bench, or can two or more villages do "research" at the same time/

Upon gaining research points - 06/19/05 09:44 AM

Oiy! What a game. My 3rd village -- I can't get anyone to breed, build or figure out what the plants, fields, rocks or other things on the island are.

Once question, must I wait for one village to "complete" her research before I drag another to the bench, or can two or more villages do "research" at the same time?

(Apologies for the double post. I'm new at this as well!)

Re: Upon gaining research points - 06/19/05 09:50 AM

You can have as many villagers at the research table as you want. They all just squeeze in there together to get the work done!

The first things you need to focus on in the beginning are a stable food supply and research - especially harvesting, since the berries will be depleted at some point.

Once your food supply is at least 300-400, your villagers will not be as worried and will start doing some of those other things. They'll be more receptive to breeding after that, too!
Posted by: Mensh

Re: Upon gaining research points - 06/19/05 10:08 AM

Thanks. I've got two harvesting the bush (to get the 400 FS points faster) and the other three are hanging out at the research table, gaining points, I guess. I had no idea that I needed so many points to do anything! My first game had the beach all neat and tidy, but no one knew how to fish; and the field nicely watered but nothing to grow. The all died, but they were prepared for a future that was not to be! Everyone died overnight in the second game, since I had no idea that I had to pause the game before I turned in for the night. Don't these villiagers ever sleep?

In game 3 the invisible monkey showed up at the research table and gave me some points -- maybe those villagers did not die in vain!

PS I registered as well.

Re: Upon gaining research points - 06/19/05 11:53 AM

Sounds like you've got a good start to your game! I usually have one harvesting in the beginning with the others researching.
You don't HAVE to put the game on pause overnight- I get the villagers trained in thier jobs and then just run the game on slow overnight. Usually, there are no problems in the morning and there are a lot more tech points!

"Villager is Still Too Young" - 07/01/05 05:56 AM

Need babies, but the villagers won't mate until they reach 18 years of age. Incredible that they subscribe to Christian fundementalist notions on sex -- is this village in Texas?

But seriously, seems a lot of fun so far.

Re: "Villager is Still Too Young" - 07/01/05 09:05 AM

Hey!
Well, I guess that's a good thing!!

Re: "Villager is Still Too Young" - 07/01/05 12:24 PM

i need some help im rnning out of food and i need 2 lrean how 2 fishplz ome one end 2 me

Re: "Villager is Still Too Young" - 07/01/05 12:26 PM

plz im running out of food how do i fish plz ive cleaned up the beach im out of berrys only 65 meals left and i have 8 pelop soon 2 be 9

Re: "Villager is Still Too Young" - 07/01/05 12:30 PM

Quote:

ahah ahah im going crazy i just got the game and ive built the hut and cleaned up the beach but im running out of food and dont no how 2 fish and no berrys on berry bush i dont no what 2 do plz lisen i need any one any one this is major plz

Do you have anyone working at the research table? If you do, check how many points you have available. If you have 6000 or more, you can purchase Level 2 farming. Then your villagers can harvest crops instead of foraging for berries.
If you don't have anyone researching at the table, get to it quickly, or you will run out of food. Level 3 Harvesting is your fishing skills. Keep researching and you will get there!
Also, be very careful on how many villagers you create early in the game. The children eat just as much as the adults do- and the berry bush can not support as many villagers as you have.

As you need further help, just let us know!
Michelle