Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186928 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#233101 - 04/19/13 04:39 PM If VF2 won't fit on your computer
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
There are several things you can try, depending upon what Windows version you're using and your computer's specifications.

If you can see the OK button shown in the game's intro, but can't click on it, you can hide the Windows taskbar to get it out of the way, which will allow you to continue. Once you're into the game's main screen, you can access the settings and try putting the game into full-screen mode to see if that helps.

The method for hiding the Windows taskbar varies with different versions of Windows. I'll illustrate the method for Windows 8 (and Windows 7) here, but if you're using Windows XP, refer to this page on Microsoft's site , and if you're using Windows Vista, refer to this page.

To hide the taskbar in Windows 8 (Windows 7 is similar):
  1. From the Windows 8 start screen, click Desktop
  2. Right click in an empty area of the desktop and select Personalize from the pop-up menu.
  3. Click on Taskbar in the lower left of the window
  4. Make sure that the two boxes for Lock the taskbar and Auto-hide the taskbar are checked
  5. Click Apply
The taskbar should now be out of the way (you can get it back by moving your cursor to the bottom of the screen), and you should be able to advance through the intro screens. The attached screen image shows the steps as they appear in Windows 8.

Attachments
HidingTaskbarWindows8.png

#233102 - 04/19/13 04:48 PM Re: If VF2 won't fit on your computer [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

If the above procedure doesn't work for you, you can try to use the game's configuration file (ldw.ini) to force VF2 into full-screen mode. Make sure you quit the game, if it is running, then try the following procedure:

To change the display mode of your game:

Look in the folder where the game is installed (it's usually found in Program Files on your hard drive). In that folder you should see a file called either ldw.ini or ldw with a file type of Configuration Settings (the icon will look like a notepad with a gear on it), depending upon how you have your folder options set in Windows. If you double-click on that file, you should see the file opened in Notepad and displaying several settings.

To force the game into full-screen mode, you should change the settings in that file so that they look like this:

[ldw]
Fullscreen=1
ForceFullscreen=1
ForceWindowed=0
UseVsync=0
Distributor=LDW

Then select File=>Save and the new settings will be saved. Try running the game again and see if it displays correctly.

#233215 - 04/21/13 08:41 AM Re: If VF2 won't fit on your computer [Re: LadyCFII]
Mindy84 Offline

I purchased the game on 2 computers. It works on my desktop at home fine, however, it doesn't run on my Aspire One laptop computer Model NAV50.

When I first tried to open the game I couldn't get beyond the intro screen where it says, "Oh look! A big, broken house" b/c I can't access the buttons below on my small computer screen (1024x600 is my max resolution).

According to these tips, I have hidden my task bar and also edited the config file. Now, when I try to open the game I get this message

"Error: Access violation at 0x00403124 (tried to read from 0x00000008), program terminated."

Can you help me please?

Edited by Mindy84 (04/21/13 10:46 AM)

#233217 - 04/21/13 12:41 PM Re: If VF2 won't fit on your computer [Re: Mindy84]
Unicorn

Unfortunately, that error code may indicate that your laptop does not support the required display mode to run the game full screen. Since the suggestions in the first post didn't resolve the problem on your laptop, there are some other things you can try, although they won't be as likely to help than the procedures you've already tried. This discussion, although about VV5 on netbook computers, has additional information that might help you.

#233316 - 04/23/13 06:37 AM Re: If VF2 won't fit on your computer [Re: LadyCFII]
Mindy84 Offline

Oh boy, that is sad indeed. frown

I guess I will have to wait until I get a new laptop to play it on my overnight shifts. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate your responses. smile

#236715 - 11/30/13 05:38 PM Re: If VF2 won't fit on your computer [Re: Mindy84]
ekbizin Offline

I just usually put my toolbar on the side of the screen, that usually frees some space up so I can click on the buttons.

Smileys
Arthur on Twitter