Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#237975 - 02/21/15 12:27 AM Support for Higher Resolutions
DuskArgentum Offline

I'll put this bluntly.
I've been playing LDW's games a lot recently, particularly the latest 3 VV games. This is all fine and dandy, but every single time I want to play one, I have to put down my screen resolution to 1024x768, far, FAR below my regular 1920x1080... Otherwise, the game doesn't start and my computer throws a tantrum about me trying to open a game in a resolution that probably didn't exist back in 2008, which is (I think) when VV3 came out.
I suppose what I'm saying is... I'd like support for higher resolutions on the VV games, and maybe even VF. It's not really too necessary, per se, but it's a minor inconvenience I'd like amended.
If it's of any relevance, I run the games from Big Fish Games.

#237977 - 02/21/15 01:32 AM Re: Support for Higher Resolutions [Re: DuskArgentum]
VF_Life Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Tyler, TX
That happened to me sometimes when I played at Big Fish but when I uninstalled VF from Big Fish Games and bought the Bluesnap(LDW Official) Version, and it was all fixed.

#237978 - 02/21/15 04:24 PM Re: Support for Higher Resolutions [Re: DuskArgentum]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
We appreciate our fans very much, and we think it's great that you go back and play the games (we do, too, actually grin). Unfortunately, the original releases of our games don't always "play nicely" with today's computers. We have, as VF_Life pointed out above, done something about the issues with our games, but some things need to be explained first.

When those games were developed and released, the standards and system requirements for the "causal game" industry, characterized by Reflexive Arcade, RealArcade, Big Fish Games, etc., were deliberately set low so that the games were playable on the vast majority of personal computers. It wasn't until 2012 that the move from 800x600 to 1024x768 took hold. Even today, that least-common-denominator standard lives on. These are the system requirement for one of BFG's latest releases:

Quote:
Game System Requirements:
CPU: 1.0 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
DirectX: 9.0
Hard Drive: 273 MB

Big Fish Games App System Requirements:
Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later

As for our games, specifically, I would ask you to read Arthur's post from about a year and a half ago that addresses the reality of where we (and the industry) are.

Despite the conditions that Arthur described, we updated every one of our Windows and Mac games in 2014 to incorporate support for the latest personal computer hardware and software technologies. That effort cost us more than we will ever make back in game sales, but it was the right thing to do for our fans.

We replaced all of our older game versions with those updated versions on ldw.com as soon as we finished the QA process, and they are only available directly from LDW. That's because, in order to keep their costs and prices low, the casual game portals like Big Fish Games almost never update any of their third-party games (such as ours) once those games have "peaked" and sales start to drop off. It's too expensive a process to prepare the updated game for release using their DRM or game managers, and they wouldn't recover their costs. There has been one exception to that in the entire history of our relationship with various game portals, which dealt with a crash caused by a conflict with their DRM and our game.

So there you have it. We are a handful of people doing our best to make great games and support our families, while still doing the right thing for our customers. We think it's worth it to purchase games directly from indie developers, when possible, but we also know that everyone must decide for themselves where to make their purchases based on a lot of different factors unique to them.

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter