Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy
30708 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30708 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#209760 - 09/09/09 06:31 PM religious diversity
blessed Offline

I wish you'd build religious diversity into the game. When we found out that we were building an idol and a pagan temple in the first Virtual Villagers game, we all got a bit turned off by it. When we found out we were practicing black magic in the second game, we got turned off again. We didn't even bother with the third virtual villagers because by this point, we didn't trust it anymore.

All in the world those parts of the game are is pictures that appear after watching the villagers busily working for a while. Why couldn't you build in a choice of religions in the options of the game? Couldn't there be a choice of what is there now for pagans, a choice of a cross and a chapel for Christians, maybe a choice of a Buddha and a temple for Buddhists, and so on? That way we wouldn't have to feel like there is something counter to our religion built into the game.

#209764 - 09/09/09 07:17 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: blessed]
Krystal Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: The 'Merica
I think it would be good to really consider what would go into granting such a request. First of all, think of how many religions there are. And not only that, but there are, of course, the major types of religion that most everyone has heard of (such as Christianity, Judaism, etc)... but in addition there are all the little groups that have split off from those - varying denominations - and localized religions that only apply to a (relatively) small area.
If LDW (which, keep in mind, is not a very large game company) were to try to take even a fraction of all of these into consideration, they would be coding and programming for, quite possibly, years to get them all into play. Because honestly, these features aren't just images. They're lines and lines of coding to make the game use those images.
A very complicated request, when you think about it long enough. And if anything (and I mean anything) were left out, LDW stands to have people get mad at them over that too.
It's just simpler and easier to build in the villagers' own little beliefs and traditions and leave it.

#209791 - 09/10/09 12:16 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: Krystal]
halidog Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: One of the thirteen colonies
I'm sure Krystal didn't mean any offense by that frown .

Also, you could try to make a mod replacing the statue with something that you feel fits smile .

#209798 - 09/10/09 02:08 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: halidog]
Lyssaria Offline
Legend

Loc: Suburban Isola
The mods are the perfect solution to this issue! Although they will not change the programming, at least you can be comfortable viewing your own religious symbols portrayed in the game. smile

As members of the LDW team have stated in the past, the VV games are not fixated on any specific religions and were designed to try to avoid these religious assumptions. Our villagers are designated on a remote island with its own set of history and culture while the main focus is on their survival.

Another common issue that pops up is the lack of varying skin tones to give it more diversity. It would be nice to have all of these options and apply our own beliefs and experiences into the game, but as Krystal has mentioned it would be very complicated.

Keep in mind our villagers are foreign to the island and its area and are renovating Isola to be in its former glory. I find that they respect & honor the land by keeping the ruins and artifacts intact as opposed to worship.

#209878 - 09/10/09 06:56 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Lyssaria]
blessed Offline

That's cool. You make the game the way you want it. Just understand that some of us won't be buying the game as long as it runs counter to our beliefs. I don't have the skills to do mods and my child is not comfortable with the game as it is, nor am I.

#209879 - 09/10/09 07:07 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: blessed]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
There are many mods made by other players in the Mods Forum. If you do not find anything that fits what you are looking for, you might contact one of the modders to see if they have the time to make a mod for you. smile
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#209902 - 09/11/09 03:47 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: Xay]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
I'll apologize in advance, if you feel this post offends you. That is not my intention. It is not pointed at any one person or group of people. It is intended to view my personal opinion on the entire mass of posts where people express their "discontent" with their perceived religious; racial; or life style contents of the games.

I'm not going to get into a Biblical dispute here, nor start quoting scripture. I will tell you that there are many, many members who are devout believers in their religion that play these games without a problem.

I happen to be a Christian and an ordained minister. I know at least one member who is a Messianic Jew, and another who is an Orthodox Jew. I know a couple of members who are of the Muslim faith and am pretty sure that one other is likely Hindu.

I feel LDW has done an admirable job of keeping religion OUT of the games. I have no more problem reconstructing the statue and ruins in VV1 than I do reading articles related to the Moi on Easter Island or of Stonehenge. The same goes for the puzzles and challenges in the other games.

I'm sure LDW does not intentionally offend anyone by either inserting or omitting objects into the games. What I think they do, and do very well, is build casual games that are challenging and fun to play.

I would suggest people would be happier if they concentrate harder on trying to keep their tribes alive long enough to solve the puzzles, than they will be by trying to infer religious; racial or domestic connotations into the games.

Remember, they only offer the games for sale, they do not coerce anyone into buying or even playing them. They are extremely considerate in offering enough free trial time for anyone to determine if the game is suited to them or their children.

Each consumer should carefully evaluate the game during the free trial period. If they feel it is appropriate, they can then purchase it for a reasonable fee. This is the consumers right and their choice.

It is NOT however, the consumers right to try and dictate standards to the company on how to build the games. You may, of course, make suggestions about what you'd like to see by using the suggestions threads that are posted for each game.

If your goal is to dictate the content of the games, you should start your own company and build games that fit your standards. If you aren't a skilled programmer, there are plenty of them available for hire. In this way you can build games that you are entirely comfortable with. Who knows? I might even buy them.

In other words, feel free to buy the games as they are and enjoy them, or decide they aren't suitable to your life style and go find another game to play.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#209959 - 09/12/09 01:33 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: Rockmower]
blessed Offline

I think that was what I just said, but with many, many more words.

#210551 - 09/19/09 09:38 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: blessed]
swedane Offline
Master

Loc: BC. CANADA
There's just NO pleasing all of the people ALL of the time!! It is hard enough PLEASING some of the people some of the time!!

#211856 - 10/21/09 07:35 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: blessed]
QuickStorm Offline
Legend

Loc: America's Birthplace
Originally Posted By: blessed
I wish you'd build religious diversity into the game. When we found out that we were building an idol and a pagan temple in the first Virtual Villagers game, we all got a bit turned off by it. When we found out we were practicing black magic in the second game, we got turned off again. We didn't even bother with the third virtual villagers because by this point, we didn't trust it anymore.

All in the world those parts of the game are is pictures that appear after watching the villagers busily working for a while. Why couldn't you build in a choice of religions in the options of the game? Couldn't there be a choice of what is there now for pagans, a choice of a cross and a chapel for Christians, maybe a choice of a Buddha and a temple for Buddhists, and so on? That way we wouldn't have to feel like there is something counter to our religion built into the game.

First, please don't take offense; I pretty much agree with all that has been said here. My take regarding the idols is that this is taking place in a much earlier time and it is a deserted island that is populated by just a few and that period of time is about idols, pagans and whatever.

Second, you use the word "we" and the words "we all" may I ask who we and we all are? I'm sure you are referring to your friends and not the majority of people who have been playing the VV series from the beginning. Because with your wording and your logic, the fan base for the VV series would have died with the first one.

For the record, I am a Catholic who believes in all the saints and deities the good nuns and priests have taught me; but, I have never been offended by the idols. Maybe a little imagination is needed to play some games.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter