Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
Legally playing Palm OS/Pocket PC games + H.M VV5?
by lorsieab2
02/24/24 09:16 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy, Alice Arthagon
30707 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30707 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239217 - 01/30/16 01:38 PM Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really?
sadboy3000 Offline

Loc: adidas sweatshop
I've been playing VF2 for a long time now, and this has been bothering me since the beginning. Two toys-the kitchen and the car-have some pretty offensive actions going along with them. Why did you feel it necessary to stereotype genders to what you believe each do? I honestly wish that the actions could be changed to something more gender-neutral. Could you give an explanation as to why you thought this was acceptable?

#239241 - 01/31/16 07:23 PM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: sadboy3000]
KatM Offline

Perhaps because villagers lived a long time ago. Back then their were certain roles each gender was assign to. There are still women that cook and men that drive even today. I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose.

#239242 - 01/31/16 07:37 PM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: KatM]
sadboy3000 Offline

I'm referring to VF2, and that game takes place in present times. By the way: my cousin had come over, and she'd written that out. Although I did edit it and get rid of some overly-accusatory things, I see that it is still pretty aggressive, lol. I don't think their intention was to force traditional gender roles down our throat, and I'm not expecting LDW to become super defensive over that(my cousin is, lol). We both just felt like that was outdated and should be fixed. If anyone thinks that that action IS, in fact, fair, your opinion is also welcome. Sorry about the...argumentative-ness of that, I suppose(love my cousin, though)lol,

#239243 - 01/31/16 10:17 PM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: sadboy3000]
KatM Offline

Well that's a bit silly to get upset over a game don't you think? wink

#239248 - 02/01/16 02:15 AM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: KatM]
sadboy3000 Offline

I'm trying to treat it as it is: a game-though that doesn't mean you can just overlook everything. I mean, this isn't a big issue: it does not effect gameplay at all. I just don't see why it has to be there. : / That is a fair point, though.

#239365 - 02/09/16 01:25 AM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: sadboy3000]
ChaoticMoira Offline
Adviser

Loc: California
A lot of the world is still very comfortable with the idea of archaic gender roles. I assume things like this make it into our media (games, TV, etc) in large part simply out of habit. Then add to that how a large majority of people wouldn't even notice it, and the two add up to slow slow change.

I doubt LDW thought it could or would have offended anyone. I don't know what the tone of the original post was, but I do think your (or your cousin) having voiced your thoughts has value. It isn't an issue as to whether or not a person is "upset over a game" or not. The importance is that it puts the thought of more broad-minded gender equality out there. And maybe the next time the genders will be represented more openly in that manner. It isn't about "a game," it is about the normalization of all genders being "role-free," and how media portrays these things does matter.

Edited by ChaoticMoira (02/09/16 06:24 AM)

#239601 - 03/03/16 04:16 AM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: ChaoticMoira]
Britney Offline
Master

Loc: Tumblr
I think you should keep in mind that most childrens toys are gender sterotypical, and the fact these games are made by a group of middle aged devs who had no issue with that growing up. I don't find it all that offensive, myself.

#239602 - 03/03/16 04:22 AM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: Britney]
frogboy Offline
Expert

i'm sure "could this offend someone" wasn't a constant nagging question in their heads as they programmed the game...

#239603 - 03/03/16 04:25 AM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: frogboy]
Britney Offline
Master

Loc: Tumblr
Originally Posted By: Frog Boy
i'm sure "could this offend someone" wasn't a constant nagging question in their heads as they programmed the game...

Making things family-friendly was more likely a more pertinent issue, especially since this game was released before the SJWs took over the internet.

#239754 - 03/13/16 06:59 AM Re: Cooking Like Mommy? Driving Like Daddy? Really? [Re: Britney]
Kali33 Offline

It bothers me too. I let my kids play this game, I don't want them getting the message that dad's drive & mom's cook.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter